659 replies to this topic

#1 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Surely, the High Sierra RC doesnt know who theyre fucking with... me thinks when they figure it out Scooter's entry will be reinstated.

#2 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

seriously wtff. I have never sailed a shaw but I would really like to see what one could do in socal. fuck phrf if they are really gonna penalize a new boat just cause its from out of town...

#3 Yotter

Yotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Race Management (doing it right!)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Don't forget that RRS 76.1 added an extra sentance this year - they must give a reason, promptly, in writing - but you gotta ask.

#4 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Top 10 reasons why the Editor of Sailing Anarchy Can't race his Shaw 650

10.  You have to own an entire boat to enter (Ex owns half)
  9.  Shaw 650  NOT US COAST GUARD APPROVED....unlike those very safe Americas Cup boats
  8.  Editor violated rule RRS 69.69 -----No free swag for Race Organizer = no entry for ED. 
  7.  Race Official bought a new Flying Tiger based on Editors comments in SA- Wife left him
  6.  Shaw 650 BIG PIMPIN'  (Publicity has nothing to do with this.....trust me!!!) 
  1. Commodore of the High Sierra Royal Yacht Club.......you guessed it the Honorable Reid Stowe.....revenge is a bitch!

Get your BIG Pimpin' Popcorn, Peanuts and Beer here....... For all unsuspecting onlookers here are the specs on the Shaw 650  http://shaw650.com/y...sign/index.html

#5 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

This is going to be very unfunny if the reason is something to do with West Coast PHRF.   No Lifelines or no class P Portable toilet......WAIT......is the boat missing a floor board or two?

OK I STILL CAN"T get over Dr. Laura being evicted from PHRF over floor boards.... SO CAL PHRF IS SOOOOOO>>>> Lame!!!

My money is on a simple PHRF requirement. 

#6 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

I suspect that it's going to fall into the same bin as the K6. Perhaps the RC could be convinced to have a Portsmouth class for these sporties.

#7 Kestrahl

Kestrahl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Didn't the Shaw 650 Manic have PHRF trouble when it was imported to the states a few years ago?

#8 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

This reminds me of the shitfight with the Elliott winged race boat called Gorilla Biscuits when the blue blazers set at the RNZYS wouldn't let it race. But holy shit people, that was way back in 1987, surely sailing has progressed since those days?

Unleash the SA hordes on the bastards Ed, show 'em who they're fuckin' with!

We shall overcome :-)

#9 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Its a dinghy with trailing wheels (lead centreboard) so it shouldnt be racing with real keelers.
Go race with the 49ers and skiffs

Ducking for cover . . . .

#10 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Was Dorag in the jury? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

#11 ojfd

ojfd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Don't forget that RRS 76.1 added an extra sentance this year - they must give a reason, promptly, in writing - but you gotta ask.

And then there are US Sailing prescriptions:

Rule 76.1

After rule 76.1 add

US Sailing prescribes that an organizing authority or race committee shall not reject or
cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor eligible under the notice of race and
sailing instructions for an arbitrary or capricious reason or for reason of race, color,
religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or age.

#12 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

They didn't allow Tempest last year.

#13 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

I thick thisse calles foure sailings topp avocate aganste PRHF abusse, Johnie Expo!!

You mabey remmeber some of hisse famusse quotes delled in heate of battelle:

"Oh yeahe!!!  Re-rate thiss!"

"Evan youre momma gaive me three secands foure that"

"Wingnutte2 = youre typicalle PHRF Commiittee Mebber"

So when in neede calle teh steede; Johnie Expozito of Cittey Iland, NY.

#14 Just Another Sailor

Just Another Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

This has been happening for years to the Martin 243. The long lost SORC did let me her one. but being on a starting ling w/ a J44 and others can be a little dangerous to say the least.

#15 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

the high sierra is such a cool regatta... maybe in true anarchist style the ed should still haul her up there and sail her around the marks even if they don't score him?

#16 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

the high sierra is such a cool regatta... maybe in true anarchist style the ed should still haul her up there and sail her around the marks even if they don't score him?

Absolutely!!  And do some close runs at the RC to tighten their sphincters!

#17 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Good fun little boats

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=3dClS4-7VZA

#18 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Shaw 650 can't get a Nor Cal PHRF rating 'cuz it's keel is too light. Maybe that's the reason.

II. CRITERIA 
The NCPHRF Committee shall establish performance ratings for sailboats which: 
A. Have ballast and are single hulled: 
B. Have a canoe body of nineteen feet or greater; 
C. Have minimum solid ballast of 400 pounds, unless grandfathered in prior to 1998.
D. Have submitted a properly completed application and supporting information to enable the Committee to understand the 
 shape, size and speed-producing factors of the boat.

And from Shaw650.com:

Displacement

310kg (683 lbs)

Bulb size

100kg (220 lbs)

#19 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Shaw 650 can't get a Nor Cal PHRF rating 'cuz it's keel is too light. Maybe that's the reason.

II. CRITERIA 
C. Have minimum solid ballast of 400 pounds, unless grandfathered in prior to 1998.
D. Have submitted a properly completed application and supporting information to enable the Committee to understand the 

And from Shaw650.com:

Displacement

310kg (683 lbs)

Bulb size

100kg (220 lbs)

To me that seems the best explanation.  Get a Portsmouth Class or petition for the PHRF Bylaws to be amended.  If it is the reason then stop complaining about not being able to race against displacement boats.  It's like the guy that buys a house near an airport and then complains to the town about plane noise. 

#20 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

II. CRITERIA 

And from Shaw650.com:

Displacement

310kg (683 lbs)

Bulb size

100kg (220 lbs)

Wait a minute, I'm having an ESP moment.  I bet I can predict what the Ed will say:

"These f*cking rules are antiquated and and preventing the growth of sportboats.  The rules committee needs to get their heads out of their asses and get this changed so I can race this boat because I didn't do anything wrong by not reading the rules.  This is why sailing is dying, because the original rules don't account for new classes of boats.  I'm going to hold a grudge against them and smear them until they bow to my wishes.  and Paul Cayard is a douchebag and is behind all of this!"

#21 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

II. CRITERIA 

And from Shaw650.com:

Displacement

310kg (683 lbs)

Bulb size

100kg (220 lbs)

Wait a minute, I'm having an ESP moment.  I bet I can predict what the Ed will say:

"These f*cking rules are antiquated and and preventing the growth of sportboats.  The rules committee needs to get their heads out of their asses and get this changed so I can race this boat because I didn't do anything wrong by not reading the rules.  This is why sailing is dying, because the original rules don't account for new classes of boats.  I'm going to hold a grudge against them and smear them until they bow to my wishes.  and Paul Cayard is a douchebag and is behind all of this!"

You will be disappeared!

#22 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

great boat i'm sure..., not that i've ever seen one.

but how many of these are the in the USA?

are there enough for OD racing anywhere?

#23 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

II. CRITERIA 

And from Shaw650.com:

Displacement
310kg (683 lbs)
Bulb size
100kg (220 lbs)

Are you saying sailing is dying because the ED can't read?

I think the ED's entry fee check bounced.......

#24 206

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Didn't the Shaw 650 Manic have PHRF trouble when it was imported to the states a few years ago?

Yes - trouble with the same NorCal bunch. Probably the same story this time around. I believe Manic in Narragansett bay is the only active sailing Shaw 650 in the US right now. They have been racing in RI for a few years now under PHRF without ruining PHRF for anyone. That should count for something! I wonder how the Santa Cruz homebuilt Shaw is coming along?

#25 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

What's it rate?

#26 206

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

What's it rate?

Shaw 6.5 ODR Manic 99

#27 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

trevor is prolly right. no matter where one turns in phrf, there always seems to be some sort of fuckery. the shaw is a proven boat in breeze down under and phrf certs have been issued in at least 3 areas in this country. the idiots at phrf sd think the 650 should rate 66 random leg (owing 24 seconds per mile to a viper 640!) but they at least will apparently let us race.

would have been nice for race organizers to give me a head's up on this and actually think of a way to encourage participation rather than outright refusal.

#28 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Years ago my Uncle got a PHRF rating before he bought a boat. He decided not to import it, canceled the order and bought a One design and never looked back.

#29 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Scot,

NorCal PHRF is a PIA. The NEW YRA president is initiating a fall regatta here in the Bay for sportboats sailing under portsmouth. Trevor is right though, you'll NEVER get a PHRF cert in NorCal because she's not a leadmine and the PHRF committee (Kame Richards and Jim Antrim) won't budge...that's why Don is doing the portsmouth thing. We have K6 SoCal rating and ask the FYC folks if you can race under that one. We are planning to race the K6 there (with 2 other K6's too). They haven't allowed us to register yet.

You're more than welcome to camp with us at the Viper Group site in Rancheria. I think we have 10 boats there.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

#30 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:sailing, Skiing, biking, boating,

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

buy a one design and stop playing by yourself. 

#31 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

interesting to read this from the sponsoring yc. 

FRESNO YACHT CLUB 
PERFORMANCE HANDICAP RACING FLEET 
BY LAWS 

ARTICLE I - NAME 
1.1 The name of this organization shall be the PHRF FLEET. 

1.2 It shall be the prime objective of this organization to promote the sport of 
handicap yacht racing for the exclusive enjoyment of its members. 

1.3 PHRF Rating Certificates may be obtained from the Northern California 

Performance Handicap Racing Fleet (NCPHRF) for "Cruising/Racing" auxiliary sail 
yachts. Yachts must be self-righting, self-bailing, monohulls, listed in the Portsmouth 
Yardstick as "Offshore Classes". 

ARTICLE II - BY-LAWS 

2.1 The By-Laws of the Fleet shall be the Current By-Laws (updated annually) of the 
NCPHRF, and these By-Laws. 

ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP 

3.1 Membership will consist of FULL members of the Fresno Yacht Club. Yachts 
wishing to enter any FYC sanctioned Invitational Regatta (High Sierra, Raisin Bowl, 
etc.) shall also have a Valid, Current PHRF Certificate from the NCPHRF. A Valid, 
Current Certificate from another Jurisdiction (such as Southern California) will be 
accepted; however, the PHRF rating listed on the certificate holders certificate will be 
converted to the current NCPHRF Rating, if different

#32 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

trevor is prolly right. no matter where one turns in phrf, there always seems to be some sort of fuckery. the shaw is a proven boat in breeze down under and phrf certs have been issued in at least 3 areas in this country. the idiots at phrf sd think the 650 should rate 66 random leg (owing 24 seconds per mile to a viper 640!) but they at least will apparently let us race.

would have been nice for race organizers to give me a head's up on this and actually think of a way to encourage participation rather than outright refusal.

Yeah you should have kept the Tiger... There is a boat PHRF has treated kindly.

#33 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

i did buy a one design, retard.

as for the tiger, been there, did that. although the stink of the tiger seemingly never goes away - one of the dummies on the sd phrf rating committee that made up the 66 rating for the shaw is a hack tiger owner....

#34 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

i did buy a one design, retard.

Uggley word, plesae refraine.

#35 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

dude, it's fresno! these are the same folks that feel two races saturday and one race sunday are more than enough for the folks who schlep it up the hill. their outright refusal to run more races (and be fresneaks) is why our fleet now avoids the high sierra and runs with the multi event

#36 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

isn't fresno the meth capital of the world?

#37 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

think that's bakersfield, but close enough

#38 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ed -- hope you get it sorted, the Shaw is  a cool ride and they should find a  way to let you play.   After all, excluding boats can't possibly be part of the formula to 'save sailing'.

#39 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

think that's bakersfield, but close enough

Way off

http://www.connectmi...95#.UbiWLpUakeU

#40 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

damn it! then we are starting the SA Meth World Championship of the World in missouri (pronounced misery)

#41 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Can't we just take it out when it blows 25+ and have fun??  Racing is boring these days

#42 Slappy

Slappy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hey Ed,

I'm the fool who decided that building a Shaw 650 would be a better idea than just buying one....  Yeah, it's still "under construction" but, with a bit of effort we could be done fairly quickly.  The whole "ratings" thing has been a bit of a concern since day one, but I figured I'd cross the road when I got there.  I've been chatting with some of the PHRF folks up here in NorCal and one of the main things they said was actually attractive is the SA/D is actually pretty good, for such a big-performance "little boat".   Maybe we should team up a bit and see what we can do.

Slappy 

#43 jibeset

jibeset

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Fishing, Hunting and anything with ing on the end.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Come do WIRW in July.....

#44 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

happy to. the ph wanks down here have already crucified us and the wanks up there won't let us race. maybe i should just sent the fucking thing back.

#45 Irish River

Irish River

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:sailing, skiing

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

We had a shit fight up in our neck of the woods about the Melges 24. something about improper lifelines and not meeting safety regs to play in a PHRF fleet. We worked hard to addend the rules.

#46 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

dude, it's fresno! these are the same folks that feel two races saturday and one race sunday are more than enough for the folks who schlep it up the hill. their outright refusal to run more races (and be fresneaks) is why our fleet now avoids the high sierra and runs with the multi event

How many races get run during the Commodore's Cup/multi event?

#47 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

maybe i should just sent the fucking thing back.

Rob dointe wante it backe!  Sente it to me, Ille starte the campaine fo excceptance on East Coste!!

#48 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

II. CRITERIA 

And from Shaw650.com:

Displacement
310kg (683 lbs)
Bulb size
100kg (220 lbs)

Are you saying sailing is dying because the ED can't read?

I think the ED's entry fee check bounced.......

no, but it will after dan meyers takes all my money.

#49 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Huntington Lake is a great place for a super 20's regatta - Vipers, Shaws, M20 and 24, J/70 etc. Maybe it's time to push SMS ratings and get on with it. The HSR crowd need to promote this event as it's a far cry numbers wise than it used to be. 

SMS, Ed. Let's make it happen.

-Snap

#50 Just Another Sailor

Just Another Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sorry Ed... if the rules supplied earlier in this post are correct regarding keel weight, it appears you bought a great boat but want to play only with yourself. Why are you surprised by their reaction? If you are cheating on your wife... don't be surprised when she throws you out with the bath water

#51 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

i have no idea why my entry has been rejected as no reason has been given. as far as a reaction, i have one: you're a cunt.

#52 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

offer them to sponsor a sportboat/multi class and than you can race and also make it possible for other sportboats to race at their event plus the multis will be happy to have a closer phrf competitor as well.....  

Its all about growing the sport .....

Which sometimes means that you better not piss of the 4ksb guys .. they find all the reasons why YOUR boat ( SPortboat or Multi) is not elligable to race with THEM in phrf....  forgetting that they have nasty 20 year old sails, growth on their hulls , dont ever heard of layline and so forth ...its the lousy sailors who seem to complain the loudest ....

best  Thor

#53 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

well, as soon as they have the consideration to get back to me, i'd be happy to help them find a solution. why do i think that is the last thing they are interested in....?

#54 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Ist time foure SAOOD!

#55 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,002 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Yes - trouble with the same NorCal bunch. Probably the same story this time around. I believe Manic in Narragansett bay is the only active sailing Shaw 650 in the US right now. They have been racing in RI for a few years now under PHRF without ruining PHRF for anyone. That should count for something! I wonder how the Santa Cruz homebuilt Shaw is coming along?

Can you point me at some race results?

#56 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

How many races get run during the Commodore's Cup/multi event?

commodore's is generally 3 sat/2 sun but they are accommodating to requests and/or assistance with more races (unlike fyc). we have had two recent 3 day championships there in the last five years in conjunction w/the commodore's and have not been disappointed

#57 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

i believe the wabbits, thistles and day sailors also run commodore's...or at least did once according to my t-shirt

#58 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Scooter -

Does the boat comply with the PHRF regulations for the area?

Does the boat comply with the safety category stated in the NOR?

If the answer is not YES to both of these questions you would be out of luck for this regatta - sucks but at least it is black and white. 

If the is the case you might be able to lobby for getting the regulations/safety class changed to allow you to race - but don't hold your breath it is usually not very easy to get accomplished - and I am sure the personal relations are maybe not helping you in this regard.

You are not the only one - unfortunately this happens all over the country.

You should maybe have done a little research before writing a check.............................just sayin'

#59 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

You can find them yourself by Googling some combination of manic shaw 650 Watson 4171

#60 coolerboy

coolerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Sounds silly that you cant race your boat. My opinion, all you M20, Viper, Shaw 650 guys should get together and all go in on one class on the Bay. We live in the best sailing spot in the world and I personally would love racing one of those boats but not until there are atleast 10 on the line. Express 27 and Moore 24 are still the two best boats on the Bay in my opinion. Express best overall but Moore the best fleet.

#61 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

it clearly states that:

A Valid, Current Certificate from another Jurisdiction (such as Southern California) will be accepted.

the word "will" carries a fairly clear meaning. still waiting for a response. i am not going away on this one...

#62 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

That still doesn't answer my questions above

it clearly states that:

A Valid, Current Certificate from another Jurisdiction (such as Southern California) will be accepted.

the word "will" carries a fairly clear meaning. still waiting for a response. i am not going away on this one...

#63 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

You can find them yourself by Googling some combination of manic shaw 650 Watson 4171

You can go to JYC's website, it's awful and the past results only give you top three boats.  Alex won the fall series last year.

#64 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

it clearly states that:

While you are probably correct on this, the response will likely be a hasty amendment to change their by-laws to add the words "provided the boat meets the other requirements set by the PHRF Committee" at the end of the relevant clause.

Too damn many politics in sailboat racing. If I were you, I'd show, be cordial and gracious to everyone, sail the course with all the other boats, and generally show them how much fun I was having despite their being jackasses.  Kill 'em with enthusiasm and don't play their political game. 

#65 SoCalSailer

SoCalSailer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

HIGH SIERRA REGATTA NOR

4.5      PHRF Fleet Boats must provide a copy of a current, valid PHRF Certificate (any jurisdiction accepted for measurement verification) with registration.  Certificates other than NCPHRF, ratings will be converted to current published NCPHRF ratings.  Only boats meeting established FYC PHRF guidelines per FYC PHRF Bylaws will be accepted for entry.  Copy of FYC PHRF Bylaws can be found at  www.fresnoyachtclub.org/phrfbylaws.pdf PHRF Certificates may be uploaded when registering online. Entry is not valid until certificate is received. 

#66 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Scooter -

Does the boat comply with the PHRF regulations for the area?

Does the boat comply with the safety category stated in the NOR?

If the answer is not YES to both of these questions you would be out of luck for this regatta - sucks but at least it is black and white. 

If the is the case you might be able to lobby for getting the regulations/safety class changed to allow you to race - but don't hold your breath it is usually not very easy to get accomplished - and I am sure the personal relations are maybe not helping you in this regard.

You are not the only one - unfortunately this happens all over the country.

You should maybe have done a little research before writing a check.............................just sayin'

Now that might NOT lead to anarchy

#67 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Why can't we all just get along?

#68 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

HIGH SIERRA REGATTA NOR

4.5      PHRF Fleet Boats must provide a copy of a current, valid PHRF Certificate (any jurisdiction accepted for measurement verification) with registration.  Certificates other than NCPHRF, ratings will be converted to current published NCPHRF ratings.  Only boats meeting established FYC PHRF guidelines per FYC PHRF Bylaws will be accepted for entry.  Copy of FYC PHRF Bylaws can be found at  www.fresnoyachtclub.org/phrfbylaws.pdf PHRF Certificates may be uploaded when registering online. Entry is not valid until certificate is received. 

Here's the requirement. The Shaw doesn't appear to be in the current PY Offshore tables, though. 

yachts. Yachts must be self-righting, self-bailing, monohulls, listed in the Portsmouth 

#69 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

and really, why in the fuck would any of that matter in regards to sailing a shaw 650 on a lake? of course it doesn't. the fresno yc people still haven't even bothered with a response....

#70 Wreck™

Wreck™

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Too damn many politics in sailboat racing. If I were you, I'd show, be cordial and gracious to everyone, sail the course with all the other boats, and generally show them how much fun I was having despite their being jackasses.  Kill 'em with enthusiasm and don't play their political game. 

Now that is asking a lot

New here ImaPoser.gif

#71 ¥؏ΩӁقڝӃڜ Җ

¥؏ΩӁقڝӃڜ Җ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

and really, why in the fuck would any of that matter in regards to sailing a shaw 650 on a lake? of course it doesn't. the fresno yc people still haven't even bothered with a response....

So there is maybe 3 people organizing an event for 150 boats in their spare time and you expect them to drop everything and deal with your problem immediately?

Does the boat have a valid PHRF Certificate? You could post it here. Was the certificate lodged with the entry? Does the boat meet all the requirements to be eligible to enter?

There was a limit on the number of entries. Did you have all your paperwork lodged before they reached that limit?

I might add that "bashing" the club on SA is NOT going to help get your entry accepted.

#72 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

It would appear from what was quoted from the NOR (and looking on the front page of the NorCal PHRF page) that your Shaw doesn't qualify for a NorCal PFRF certificate and even though you can use THE DATA from your SoCal PHRF cert to get one your boat doesn't qualify.

It sucks but it is time to put on your big girl pants and deal with it.  You might be able to get the org authority to let you race but it not going to happen by railing on them here as I am sure you do know if you are honest with yourself.

HTFU!

#73 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

1. Trevor Baylis already answered your rant with facts.

2. You should have bought a Viper 640.

3. You are getting to the age where 'anarchist' rants sound like 'angry old man' rants.

#74 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Now that is asking a lot

New here ImaPoser.gif

A guy can dream, can't he?

My dad always said you'd catch more flies with honey than you would with salt. Worth a shot here...

#75 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

i simply brought up an issue, with virtually no real criticism, some of you really are such twats. 

#76 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,338 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

that's a Foreign idea in sailboat racing @ every level (even way up high)

Scot why not get (make and sell)  Shaw 650 - 401lb Cheater Bulb(s) the class can except for such events  :)

#77 High Sierra Regatta

High Sierra Regatta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

As this seems to be the best place to reach MR. TEMPESTA

RE: Shaw 650 "Sock Puppet" Sail #14

Mr Tempesta,

Thank you for your interest in the 60th Annual High Sierra Invitational Regatta. 

We have refunded your entry (7:00am on 6/12/13) in full due to the fact that your entry does not qualify as a "one-design" or for our PHRF Fleet per the NOR.   When completing registration form online you checked the box that you, "You had read and understood the NOR". It is quite understandable that you missed the section on Eligibility and Entry. Also at the top of the registration page is noted, "See NOR for invited classes". For your convince I have pasted the Eligiblity and Entry section from the NOR below. 

4          ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY

4.1      The High Sierra Regatta is an Invitational Regatta. All FYC established/qualified Classes are invited to participate. Classes outside the FYC may participate by invitation only and the Skipper must be a member of a Yacht/Sailing Club or the National Authority as required in Rule 75 of the RRS.  (See bottom of Pg. 2 for list of Classes currently invited. Subject to change).  Due to Forest Service limitations of 150 boats per weekend, you are strongly urged to pre-register.

4.2      A minimum of five (5) legitimate entries from an invited Class must be postmarked no later than June 24th to qualify for a
One-Design Class. If the number of invited entries seeking to constitute a One-Design Class fails to meet this minimum requirement, an open class may be created or if eligible registered in the PHRF Class.

4.3      Entries in each class having a start shall be limited to thirty (35) boats per class. Classes with separate starts for A & B Fleets shall be limited to a total of 60 entries with no more than 35 boats in either start.

4.4      Allocation of entrants into A & B Fleets shall be the responsibility of the class. These allocations must be submitted to the Race Committee no later then 9:00AM prior to Race 1. All entrants not declaring A or B Fleet will be assumed to be A Fleet. No changes will be made thereafter.

Please feel free to petition the club to be placed upon the waiting list for one-design class start consideration. We would like to accommodate everyone but have participation limitation placed upon us by the US Forest Service. 

High Sierra Regatta Committee

#78 smartwool_elmo

smartwool_elmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Keelboat

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

that's a Foreign idea in sailboat racing @ every level (even way up high)

Scot why not get (make and sell)  Shaw 650 - 401lb Cheater Bulb(s) the class can except for such events  :)

make a shoe for the keel - those are legal - right?

#79 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

So apparently, he wasn't invited either.

#80 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Is this the new updated definition of "wanking"? See the Wanking thread.

#81 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

i simply brought up an issue, with virtually no real criticism, some of you really are such twats. 

Perhaps bringing up the issue on the front page, right after you got the email was premature.  Obviously, based on the response from the regatta, there was a legitimate reason for your entry being rejected, and I'm sure they would have responded to your email as promptly as they could have.  As said before, it's not like the YC has full time customer service reps.

FWIW it probably would've been wiser to wait and see what the response was from the RC and get the whole picture before you posted about it.  Obviously this is your website, and I'm not telling you what you can and can't post, this is just my take on the matter. 

#82 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Pretty simple RC doesn't know which bucket the boat falls into - help them figure out which bucket it goes into or help them create the bucket and you can go race. The Shaw is a pretty cool boat sadly there are nearly zero around so no Doubt the RC hasn't any idea where to start it.

#83 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Shaw vs K6 in a special development class or any other of the unknown new rides that might be lurking about. Seems like a fair idea and would shed some light on how these boats fall regarding performance and fair racing etc.

#84 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Ah yes, is it any wonder why sailing is a dying sport?

Mr Tempesta,

Thank you for your interest in the 60th Annual High Sierra Invitational Regatta. 

We have refunded your entry (7:00am on 6/12/13) in full due to the fact that your entry does not qualify as a "one-design" or for our PHRF Fleet per the NOR.   When completing registration form online you checked the box that you, "You had read and understood the NOR". It is quite understandable that you missed the section on Eligibility and Entry. Also at the top of the registration page is noted, "See NOR for invited classes". For your convince I have pasted the Eligiblity and Entry section from the NOR below. 

4.1      The High Sierra Regatta is an Invitational Regatta. All FYC established/qualified Classes are invited to participate. Classes outside the FYC may participate by invitation only and the Skipper must be a member of a Yacht/Sailing Club or the National Authority as required in Rule 75 of the RRS.  (See bottom of Pg. 2 for list of Classes currently invited. Subject to change).  Due to Forest Service limitations of 150 boats per weekend, you are strongly urged to pre-register.

4.2      A minimum of five (5) legitimate entries from an invited Class must be postmarked no later than June 24th to qualify for a
One-Design Class. If the number of invited entries seeking to constitute a One-Design Class fails to meet this minimum requirement, an open class may be created or if eligible registered in the PHRF Class.

4.3      Entries in each class having a start shall be limited to thirty (35) boats per class. Classes with separate starts for A & B Fleets shall be limited to a total of 60 entries with no more than 35 boats in either start.

4.4      Allocation of entrants into A & B Fleets shall be the responsibility of the class. These allocations must be submitted to the Race Committee no later then 9:00AM prior to Race 1. All entrants not declaring A or B Fleet will be assumed to be A Fleet. No changes will be made thereafter.

Please feel free to petition the club to be placed upon the waiting list for one-design class start consideration. We would like to accommodate everyone but have participation limitation placed upon us by the US Forest Service. 

#85 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Mr Tempesta,

Pretty sure they do a good job running the HS after all they run it over two weekends given they have too many boats on the lake for one weekend event. When you have an odd duck boat that very little is known about its up to you the owner to help RC's sort out where to put you. Thats part of what you sign up for when you have a new boat no one understands or knows about. If thats an issue then you shouldn't own an odd or totally new boat thinking you can just go race without doing some leg work and help the RC sort out the best class your boat should go into. I bet HS RC would have easily registered a J/70 LOL -- Lots of money and time has been spent sorting out where that boat should be placed when registered for an event.

#86 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

The NOR is designed to be the "Invitiation to the party."  If it says that the event is for under 18 years of age, and you are 32, it isn't for you!  All of the ranting and raving, all of the suggestions that the "no wonder why the sport is dying" isn't going to fix it.  If the NOR says this is a Women's event and you're a dude, it isn't for you.  Unless you go for the full sex re-assignment, in which ISAF has ruled that full converts can sail as a women (and vice-versa).

The boat doesn't fit their PHRF rule, and it doesn't have it's own section of one-design boats.

So if your boat doesn't fit, you must acquit.

There's plenty of other races each weekend, go find one that your boat qualifies for.

#87 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

3. You are getting to the age where 'anarchist' rants sound like 'angry old man' rants.

:P

#88 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

The event is for PHRF - they are an invited class.

The problem from a drafting point of view is that the NOR 'invites' PHRF boats and says they are all good if from another PHRF district, but then sends you to another doc (FYC PHRF BYLAWS), where you then have to go to find the part that says you have to fit with another external document (NORCAL PHRF BYLAWS).  Not impossible to find, just very stupidly written.

But then again, if three volunteers are running everything it explains the NOR, the website, and the Ed's confusion.

PHRF rules!

#89 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

HIGH SIERRA REGATTA NOR

Here's the requirement. The Shaw doesn't appear to be in the current PY Offshore tables, though. 

seems that a socal certificate will be accepted

2 things needed to happen

#90 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Mr Tempesta,

Wasn't there a post somewhere asking where DoRag was?   Didn't it fear DoRag had died?   Someone please let them know that apparently only his mind died but the rest including his fingers appears to be still  operating and posting.......apparently.....maybe.

#91 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Slamming volun

The event is for PHRF - they are an invited class.

The problem from a drafting point of view is that the NOR 'invites' PHRF boats and says they are all good if from another PHRF district, but then sends you to another doc (FYC PHRF BYLAWS), where you then have to go to find the part that says you have to fit with another external document (NORCAL PHRF BYLAWS).  Not impossible to find, just very stupidly written.

But then again, if three volunteers are running everything it explains the NOR, the website, and the Ed's confusion.

PHRF rules!

Taking the piss out of said volunteers, now that will save sailing!

#92 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

good for them

If the NOR says this is a Women's event and you're a dude, it isn't for you.  Unless you go for the full sex re-assignment, in which ISAF has ruled that full converts can sail as a women (and vice-versa).

#93 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Always good to get input from foreigners.....

Or not....

WTF

Mr Tempesta,

Wasn't there a post somewhere asking where DoRag was?   Didn't it fear DoRag had died?   Someone please let them know that apparently only his mind died but the rest including his fingers appears to be still  operating and posting.......apparently.....maybe.

#94 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Scooter,

Time to take up Schooner's suggestion - create your own party; where the cool kids hang out.  

#95 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:sailing of course

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Wow, sailing in the USA seems so complicated !

Now I understand your passion for the Cup, lots of paper and few saling !

#96 Nick G

Nick G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Life long SF Bay - Ocean Sailor.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

1. Trevor Baylis already answered your rant with facts.

2. You should have bought a Viper 640.

+1

#97 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Mr Tempesta,

blah, blah, blah

We would like to accommodate everyone but have participation limitation placed upon us by the US Forest Service.

the above bolded area could really be the impetus for the go away, you're not welcome. Seems they might prefer larger 'similar' classes together for starts than lots of 'disparate' boats...  So, they cater to the masses.  You were the sacrifice of the few for the betterment of the many.

#98 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,338 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Scooter,

Time to take up Schooner's suggestion - create your own party; where the cool kids hang out.  

Did that once and it took off like a Rocket !!!!!!!!

not bouncing that ball for whatever reason ????????????

#99 SoCalSailer

SoCalSailer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I wanted to race the Big Boat Series and they told me my boat is too little. I need to get a different boat. But my boat is pretty big.   Bunch of assholes!  They are running sailing.    boo hoo

#100 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,338 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

I wanted to race the Big Boat Series and they told me my boat is too  little  Big. I need to get a different boat. But my boat is pretty big.   Bunch of assholes!  They are running sailing.    boo hoo

fixed

Yes you'll have to come to Yachting CUP to play with the Big Boats

BBS  is  was the place

Back in the Day :huh:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wtf, high sierra, front page, ed, scot tempesta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users