6 replies to this topic

#1 lela51

lela51

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Cruising racing

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I've got a nice blade jib with 3 battens that I would like to furl but can't because of the battens.  Does anyone know if soft battens are designed to allow you to furl a sail like this?  Would this be a better option than vertical battens? 

#2 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

You can get the battens that are essentially like two tape measure tapes facing each other - they work but kinda suck and don't last long.  Inflatable battens are somewhat expensive and not great either.  Vertical battens are not ideal as they really hold the roach the wrong way but they hold up well compared to the other options.

Pick your poison

#3 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

RBS Roller Battens.

http://www.rbsbatten...roller-battens/

Not really made for sails designed with dead straight aft camber, but they work well on cruising sails.

#4 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Cool - now I remember they were working on this.  Has anybody used them and can give first hand feedback?

RBS Roller Battens.

http://www.rbsbatten...roller-battens/

Not really made for sails designed with dead straight aft camber, but they work well on cruising sails.

#5 J28

J28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Went through 2 sets of RBS roller battens in our RF 105% in two seasons. Didn't roll up worth a damn and took a set after time resulting in a hooked leech (on one tack). Had sailmaker change to vertical battens over this past winter. The VBs roll up much better. I'll report on how well they function if it ever stops raining here in the Great Lakes...

#6 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi all,

Our RF Battens have been a constant evolution.  We have locked down our manufacturing process and truly feel that we have a solid product now.  This is a very difficult product to offer, because you are asking a batten to do its job and support the sail shape and leech one second, and roll up tight with no tails the next.  We now offer 3 different stiffness options, that should cover the whole market.  If anyone would like more information, please contact me here.

J28 - Very sorry to hear you had a negative experience with our rollers.  Hope the Vertical Battens work out better for you this season!

Sail safe - sail fast,

s

PA030054-1-300x241.jpg

#7 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

I bought a new 3DL #3 late last year and specified RBS Roller Battens.  They support some positive roach which gives the sail an elliptical shape that looks great and provides some extra area.

My two prior #3's (also 3DLs) had vertical battens and although they furled more smoothly, the entire leech area tended to bend upwind after the sail was broken in.  The RBS Rollers provide a flatter leech and a more close-winded sail.  They're also a lot easier to handle during headsail changes because they're shorter, and horizontal (you don't have to remove them to flake it).

When rolling up the jib after the hoist, we try to end up with the top batten pointing aft since it sticks out a bit.  We haven't caught the spinnaker on it yet (during a gybe) but I think it's possible.

I don't think rollers are good for cruising applications.  They don't look like they should be left in the sail, especially not rolled up on a the furler as many cruisers do.  Frankly they look like crap with the sail rolled up on the furler - which doesn't bother me when racing but might trouble the cruising crowd.  If I planned to leave a sail on the furler I'd get vertical battens for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users