#1 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

I was bee-bopping through West Marine the other day (got a gift card from the parental units), when I stumbled upon a Lewmar winch service kit. It came with the grease, and pawl springs.

My Lewmar winches are pretty old. Are the springs universal or did they have several different kinds over the years?

Did I mention my winches are old? 

"How old are they?"

They're so old, that they're from a period in the 70's when Lewmar had a proprietary sized star drive socket. It's slightly smaller than the standard version that everyone uses today.

Does anyone have any old handles lying around, or know of a source for them?

Thanks!

#2 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Like when you say star drive socket, do you mean Torx?

t_drive_1b.jpg

#3 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

I was bee-bopping through West Marine the other day (got a gift card from the parental units), when I stumbled upon a Lewmar winch service kit. It came with the grease, and pawl springs.

My Lewmar winches are pretty old. Are the springs universal or did they have several different kinds over the years?

Did I mention my winches are old? 

"How old are they?"

They're so old, that they're from a period in the 70's when Lewmar had a proprietary sized star drive socket. It's slightly smaller than the standard version that everyone uses today.

Does anyone have any old handles lying around, or know of a source for them?

Thanks!

Every winch I've ever serviced - from #6 Barlows to 736 Barient 3 speeders used the same pawl springs. I've also found that pawls are interchangeable but must ALL be changed dues to slight variations in length between manufacturers.

As for the winch handle - consignment shops, Flea Bay etc. are probably your only hope.

#4 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Around here we have four old sailors with machinist tools in their garages.
We bring them standard winch handles and they make special ones.

If you can't find a friendly machinist you can probably file a square drive handle until it fits your winches. New files and an NBA playoff game on Yc ought do it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winch handle, pawls, springs, service kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users