15 replies to this topic

#1 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Not getting any reading at the server, Ie; no LED flashes.

How do I check to see if pulses are being sent from the transducer so I can figure out if the problem is the transducer, or at the server. This is the second one to die on me in a  few years. Weird.

#2 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just thinking. This is your second transducer. Last time you just replaced the transducer and problem solved. I would think it is the transducer or the wirering. Why would the server fail!

Take the transducer with you - a good Nexus / Garmin dealer should quickly clarify if it is working on not. That reminds me - I am glad I got a spare transducer on-board. They should not brake down that quickly.

#3 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yes it is weird. Where I am the nearest Nexus dealer is 1500 miles away so self troubleshooting is  a help. In fact, it's normally Woolfy in NZ who helps me out :)

#4 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yes it is weird. Where I am the nearest Nexus dealer is 1500 miles away so self troubleshooting is  a help. In fact, it's normally Woolfy in NZ who helps me out :)

Woolfy is sadly missed. When Nexus was sold to Garmin - Woolfy was not part of the deal!

#5 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Woolfy is sadly missed. When Nexus was sold to Garmin - Woolfy was not part of the deal!

Well that was mistake, whoever decided that... he seemed to know that system better than anyone. Shame.

Here's a link to the procedure to test the Nexus log transducer.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I'll check it out.

#6 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Rob, is yellow and green just an on/off switch on that transducer?

#7 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

There was a "bad batch" of the 43 mm transducers. I replaced four in the last 2 seasons  :(

So just get Nexus to replace it asap,

#8 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

Four! That would be annoying.

Is this the airmar NX  tri-ducer or the NX2  depth only?

#9 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

There was a "bad batch" of the 43 mm transducers. I replaced four in the last 2 seasons  :(

Yes I just tested it and there is almost a full 12v showing as per Robs test. I guess something is grounded out. Anyway, 2 of em' going back to Nexus and a new one being ordered. That's a pain. They also had a bad batch of wind transducers with the wiring done backwards.  Maybe Garmin will help improve the QC. 

Has anyone heard what the plan for Nexus is within the Garmin suite of products?

#10 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

That incorrect wiring of the wind transducer was a major headache for me. Adfter several weeks of troubleshooting the issue, and talking with Comnav, I finally tested the cable be going up the mast with some long wires and a multimeter. When I found the problem I was pretty pissed. Comnav had told me they had never seen that before, which can't be true.

That was a few seasons ago, and I hope all the bad cables are long gone.

#11 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

That incorrect wiring of the wind transducer was a major headache for me. Adfter several weeks of troubleshooting the issue, and talking with Comnav, I finally tested the cable be going up the mast with some long wires and a multimeter. When I found the problem I was pretty pissed. Comnav had told me they had never seen that before, which can't be true.

That was a few seasons ago, and I hope all the bad cables are long gone.

Jim, they told me the same thing, it was only a year later when it came up again - I bought a new boat and left the wire in the mast, kept the transducer and just ordered a new mast cable when I found out that instead of fixing the trasndcuer, they changed the cable so now I had a bad transducer with good cable and it all had to be fixed again. That was the Ocean Marine (sp?) guys in CA. Not sure if they are the Nexus dealer anymore. I was pissed....

#12 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

The 43 mm speed. 43 mm depth have worked great in 3 different boats.

#13 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

The 43 mm speed. 43 mm depth have worked great in 3 different boats.

Thanks for that! Save a drama, as I am about to do an install. Probably do a bench test before stringing the cable up the mast as well,  from what was related above.

Woolfy is sadly missed.

It is mutual. I spoke with him a couple of days ago. "It was one of the more enjoyable parts of my job."

#14 TBay_Sailor

TBay_Sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

I've got a Nexus system on my boat which appears to be from the late 1990's (I just got the boat last year).  It has a Nexus server, log, depth and wind gauges, a Multi Control, a Multi XL display and a remote control. 

Recently the speed display has been reading 0.00 sporadically and today it didn't work at all, all day  :-(

I checked the voltage across yellow and screen (pins 2 and 4) and it read about 0.02 volts at the dock (I was unable to check while the boat was in motion).  I am assuming this value is normal based on the manual stating:  "When not rotating, the value should be fixed at either about 0V or 5V DC".

I'm thinking the likelihood of a mechanical block of the wheel under the hull is unlikely.  I sail on freshwater and the boat has only been in the water for 6 weeks so far this year.  According to the manual, the model ("Art No.) of the log transducer is 20700

Any thoughts as to the best way to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks.

#15 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

pull the log (have a dummy ready to put in to stem the water).  Once out you can rotate the paddle wheel slowly and the voltage should alternate between 0 and 5 volts (approx.)  if you rotate the wheel faster you should see something in the 2-3 v range (meter on DC voltage)  If the voltages are far out of range you need a new log transducer/

Just replaced mine - I have a NX2 system and they added LED's on the transducer inputs that will blink when the transducers are working (and rotating).

#16 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Waiting on a replacement log from Garmin. They won't send warranty replacements direct to me in Canada so it has to go to a dealer first. A 2 week project. Hopefully, Garmin will do a good job of upping the support for Nexus. I think it's a good system but the support in NA has been sadly lacking.

Woolfy was my best resource - sad to see he's gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users