#1 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Being a gun

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Two big a class regattas coming up. Europeans and oz nationals. The europeans.is going to be an interesting affair. With the launch of the d3 and mischa flying, anyone willing to tip a winner? and as for the oz nats the door is really open for a new champion with some of the big names missing. Dave brewer jack benson chris batemburg are probaly the favourites. Will we see t foils dominate?

#2 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

The Euros are Stevie Brewin's to lose while the nationals will have a dark horse winner.....maybe Demon or his old man. Is there an entry list somewhere so we can have a real tipping contest?

#3 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

Any one of the Parkers could be on the podium ___Good luck to all entrants

#4 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

Two big a class regattas coming up. Europeans and oz nationals. The europeans.is going to be an interesting affair. With the launch of the d3 and mischa flying, anyone willing to tip a winner? and as for the oz nats the door is really open for a new champion with some of the big names missing. Dave brewer jack benson chris batemburg are probaly the favourites. Will we see t foils dominate?

Dougy you will have an opportunity to show how much of a gun you are in Melb on the weekend prior to Melb. Cup day as Elwood Sailing Club are hosting the 2013-2014 Victorian Titles ___ because of the mixed regatta program the titles are to be held early _____fantastic venue __ps Elwood boasts 15 A's now

#5 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

I might have to have a crack. Any boats i could borrow?

#6 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Dougy you will have an opportunity to show how much of a gun you are in Melb on the weekend prior to Melb. Cup day as Elwood Sailing Club are hosting the 2013-2014 Victorian Titles ___ because of the mixed regatta program the titles are to be held early _____fantastic venue __ps Elwood boasts 15 A's now

How many elwood boats are going to nationals?

#7 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

None of our guys are going to the Nationals ____ Long way to go to get your arse kicked 

If you are serious about coming down to Elwood for the Vic Titles in November I will ask around for a boat for you 

#8 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

I will find a dna. I reckon i could finish top 10 with a bit of practice

#9 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

I will find a dna. I reckon i could finish top 10 with a bit of practice

Highly unlikely, unless there were only 10 boats there. Based on your past performances, you are all mouth, no action. Do you actually sail?

#10 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

I have won multiple championships in a range of classes 3 time ns victorian champion just to name one. So i cant see why i wouldnt be at the pointy end

#11 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

Dougy there is an old saying "when the flag drops the bullshit stops " So this could be your opportunity to show SimonN that you really are a GUN

probably need to do a few laps in an A before you come down to test the local A pilots though 

#12 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Moths, A-Cats, speed, efficiency

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'll be in Darwin in the German flyer, hoping for light air. I also agree we could see an underdog win given the tide and stuff, hopefully it's not too much of a lottery though, but either way at least it's warm!

#13 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Tom, why no paradox? I thought after all the testing you have done Dario would have let you sail it at the nationals.

#14 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

My understanding is the factory is busy building production boats, and after all the testing recently these boats are quite different to the original. (It'll be worth all the Jetstar flights!)

Dario had to decide what to prioritise so he put all the effort into development, testing and production as well as to avoid losing the boats in transit forever (I miss mine already) Its no secret boat one wasn't right on the pace, so we've been working pretty hard to rectify that before the start of next season.

Dario is still sponsoring the event though, in order to stay involved and support the class, even though there won't be any Paradoxes on the water up there. However they will be racing next season, it just takes time when Dario's putting all his effort at the moment into getting the final boat sorted for those guys that actually order one.

#15 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

My understanding is the factory is busy building production boats, and after all the testing recently these boats are quite different to the original. (It'll be worth all the Jetstar flights!)

Dario had to decide what to prioritise so he put all the effort into development, testing and production as well as to avoid losing the boats in transit forever (I miss mine already) Its no secret boat one wasn't right on the pace, so we've been working pretty hard to rectify that before the start of next season.

Dario is still sponsoring the event though, in order to stay involved and support the class, even though there won't be any Paradoxes on the water up there. However they will be racing next season, it just takes time when Dario's putting all his effort at the moment into getting the final boat sorted for those guys that actually order one.

Good luck at the Nationals Tom

#16 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Thanks! Can't wait

#17 WickedF18

WickedF18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

I'll call the Europeans early before they sail the first race

1st Stevie Brewin (Nikita)

2nd Jack Benson (DNA)

3rd Misha (DNA)

4th Steve Brayshaw (DNA)

#18 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Big call not to put Landy somewhere in the top 4

#19 WickedF18

WickedF18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Yeah you are probably right the top 10 could be any of the usual suspects.

I believe Stevie has the pace and the rest will fight for second.

I was expecting someone to question Brayshaw (DNA)

#20 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Are you sure

#21 pontoon

pontoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

First un-official result from the practise race received from Barcelona. 

Light wind conditions

1st Bob Baier

2nd Andrew Landenberger

3rd Steve Brewin

4th Chris Field

On our website www.catamaranparts.nl ( news section ) we do try to get as much as possible info from Barcelona and will post this to get you updated as best we can.

#22 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Yupp. Brayshaw was meant to sail on a D3. Change?

#23 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

First un-official result from the practise race received from Barcelona. 

Light wind conditions

1st Bob Baier

2nd Andrew Landenberger

3rd Steve Brewin

4th Chris Field

On our website www.catamaranparts.nl ( news section ) we do try to get as much as possible info from Barcelona and will post this to get you updated as best we can.

Thanks. The official website is sooooooooooooooooooooooo yesterday.

#24 Lars Schrøder D13

Lars Schrøder D13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I skipped SA for a while because Scott Tempesta and Alan Block are jerks..but its the only forum where a-class is being discussed so...

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Rainer Bohrer reports problems for D3 -> http://vdac.okbb.de/...c.php?f=2&t=935

#25 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Can someone who speaks better German than Google please translate that.

#26 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Using other translation services you can just about get to the bottom of what is being said. On the sailing from, during the practice leading up to the start of the regatta, Scott Anderson has been fast upwind, Steve Brewin and Manolo have been quick downwind. Winged rudders are now well established. The D3 is well overweight and slow. All of this seems to be in decent breezes of up to about 14 knots.The practice race was sailed in 4-7 knots because cloud cover didn't let the thermal breeze develop.

Please don't shoot the messenger. That's just summing up the translation of that article. Reading other reports, they suggest that the D3's were well over and have teething problems that have caused them to withdraw. I have just been told that Steve Brayshaw managed to get a dna while Ben Moon isn't sailing after travelling from the USA.

It's interesting that DNA report on their page that when there is any breeze, their boats are killing it downwind, but independent reports say the Stevie Brewin (Nikita) has the edge on everybody, although one of the DNA's is close. DNA also say that in the light winds, the lightweights have an edge. However, looking at the practice race results, with Landy and Chris Field in the top 4, that comment is shown to be rubbish (both are big boys at 80kgs+). For me, the questions that need answering are whether the DNA J boards are just too draggy for all round sailing. With Jack Benson being a proven light weather sailor and other good guys sailing DNA's, we should get a view on this.

Finally, the forecast doesn't look great with a  light wind regatta predicted :angry:

#27 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

Jack has no prep time at all. Disregard his result from today

#28 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Gashby ____ remember him _____ always said it was bad luck to win the invitation race 

#29 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

How pissed off would Ben Moon be having traveled from USA to Barcelona to sit on the beach after being offered a D3 to conquer the A Class World 

#30 Lars Schrøder D13

Lars Schrøder D13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I skipped SA for a while because Scott Tempesta and Alan Block are jerks..but its the only forum where a-class is being discussed so...

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

tough stuff

and cool video from danish regatta, 4 of boats had camera onboard, on head or somewhere else. 9-12 m/s so a lot of fun.

\Lars

#31 pontoon

pontoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

tough stuff

and cool video from danish regatta, 4 of boats had camera onboard, on head or somewhere else. 9-12 m/s so a lot of fun.

\Lars

Cool movie. Thanks.

#32 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

How pissed off would Ben Moon be having traveled from USA to Barcelona to sit on the beach after being offered a D3 to conquer the A Class World 

I believe Ben had an alternate plan for another boat to sail if for some reason the D3 had issues. I'm hoping if the D3 is not viable for him for this event, he can use that option. He is capable of a top ten finish at this event. Anyone know how Bruce Mahoney did in the practice race yesterday?

Hope they get some breeze this week to start seeing how the latest in foils and hulls is comparing to the best of the previous 2-3 years.

#33 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

The D3 is well overweight and slow. All of this seems to be in decent breezes of up to about 14 knots.

Reading other reports, they suggest that the D3's were well over and have teething problems that have caused them to withdraw. I have just been told that Steve Brayshaw managed to get a dna while Ben Moon isn't sailing after travelling from the USA.

It's interesting that DNA report on their page that when there is any breeze, their boats are killing it downwind, but independent reports say the Stevie Brewin (Nikita) has the edge on everybody, although one of the DNA's is close. DNA also say that in the light winds, the lightweights have an edge. However, looking at the practice race results, with Landy and Chris Field in the top 4, that comment is shown to be rubbish (both are big boys at 80kgs+). For me, the questions that need answering are whether the DNA J boards are just too draggy for all round sailing. With Jack Benson being a proven light weather sailor and other good guys sailing DNA's, we should get a view on this.

Finally, the forecast doesn't look great with a  light wind regatta predicted :angry:

It's hard to understand how the two D3's showed up to this event and are overweight (!). I tended to believe the design could have performance issues due to the path chosen to use an S-foil daggerboard similar to the Paradox but not have issues due to being overweight. It seems there is pretty good knowledge available on how to build an A-Class that is not overweight. It's a shame because the build quality and design details look impressive on their website. Feel bad for Steve and Ben.

It will be interesting to see the performance of the DNA's with the J-boards. First race result for top three has been posted and it has Brayshaw and Mischa in 2nd and 3rd so perhaps the J-boards are doing fine in light conditions (assuming at this point the race was sailed in light conditions).

#34 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:cat builder
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Race 1:
AUS 4 Steve Norman Brewin 
AUS 25 Stephen Brayshaw
NED 007 Mischa Heemskert 

#35 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Results of the 2nd race: #AClassEuro13
NED 007 Mischa Heemskert 
AUS 4 Steve Norman Brewin 
AUS 308 Andrew Landenberger

#36 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

PROVISIONAL results after two races due to 8 protests:

AUS 4 (3 pts) / NED 007 (4 pts) / AUS 308 (7 pts) / AUS 25 (8 pts) / POL 1 (13 pts) / GER 45 (14 pts) / ESP 72 (19 pts) / USA 311 (21 pts) / GBR 7 (22 pts) / ESP 92 (22 pts)

#37 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Seems like the J boards aren't slow in whatever conditions they had today!

According to reports, the racing as held in 10-12 knots

#38 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Brewin (Nikita?)

Heemskek (DNA)

Landy (Scheurer)

Brayshaw (DNA?)

Noetzel (Exploder)

Keller (Arrow)

Doreste (DNA?)

Mahoney (Barracuda?)

Fields (Vision)

Martinez (DNA?)

6 to 7 different brands !!!

#39 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Bruce Mahoney is sailing a chartered DNA with J boards at this event. He races a DNA in the US also. Go Bruce! Looks like five DNA's did OK today with J boards. Hope to find out if Ben Moon was able to get on the water. Anyone know? The Polish sailor on the Exploder seems like a dark horse. Anyone know his background in the A-Class or other sailing classes?

#40 Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Ben posted on Facebook today that he isn't racing this week. Very unfortunate for all involved, but it sounds like people have been very gracious with boats offered, etc by other competitors who were willing to step down.

#41 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Brewin (Nikita?)

Heemskek (DNA)

Landy (Scheurer)

Brayshaw (DNA?)

Noetzel (Exploder)

Keller (Arrow)

Doreste (DNA?)

Mahoney (DNA)

Fields (Vision)

Martinez (DNA?)

5 to 6 different brands !!!

#42 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

http://www.vela.cat/...as_PROV_1i2.pdf

#43 Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

thanks.  Why so many Black Flag Disqualifications, DNS, DNF, and even DNE?  

Ah, here is a good answer: http://www.catamaranparts.nl/news/.  Thanks Pontoon!

#44 wojtek_b

wojtek_b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Bruce Mahoney is sailing a chartered DNA with J boards at this event. He races a DNA in the US also. Go Bruce! Looks like five DNA's did OK today with J boards. Hope to find out if Ben Moon was able to get on the water. Anyone know? The Polish sailor on the Exploder seems like a dark horse. Anyone know his background in the A-Class or other sailing classes?

Hi,

I know Jacek who is this Polish sailor. He is expirienced sailor who was close to qualify to Olimpic Games in Athens. Since several years he has been evangelist of cat sailing in Poland. With good results - see two juniors from Poland in the first 20.  Jacek finally has got a cat that is competitive. Congratulations to Kuba Kopylowicz - Exploder builder. 
Kindly invite everyone to Polish A-Class Championship in August - see www.katamaran.sopot.pl

#45 Topcat 989

Topcat 989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

http://www.vela.cat/...as_PROV_3i4.pdf

#46 WickedF18

WickedF18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Anyone know any information from the Euros about protests between ESP 72 Gustavo Doreste, and AUS 13 Jack Benson

they have both been involved with protests with each other in race 1 and 3.

#47 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Anyone know any information from the Euros about protests between ESP 72 Gustavo Doreste, and AUS 13 Jack Benson

they have both been involved with protests with each other in race 1 and 3.

See documents under http://www.vela.cat/...php/en/onb.html

#48 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

I know Jacek who is this Polish sailor. He is expirienced sailor who was close to qualify to Olimpic Games in Athens. Since several years he has been evangelist of cat sailing in Poland. With good results - see two juniors from Poland in the first 20.  Jacek finally has got a cat that is competitive. Congratulations to Kuba Kopylowicz - Exploder builder. 
Kindly invite everyone to Polish A-Class Championship in August - see www.katamaran.sopot.pl

Hi

Is Marcin Badzio sailing his Scheurer G6? Are there more Exploder 13 at Barcelona?

#49 wojtek_b

wojtek_b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Hi

Is Marcin Badzio sailing his Scheurer G6? Are there more Exploder 13 at Barcelona?

Yes, he is sailing his Scheuer. There is another Exploder sailed by Jakub Kopylowicz. Please note that Jakub has been  more involved in building boats and working on other businesses than trainings, so his results are not so bad taking to account number of hours sailed this year. 

#50 WetnWild

WetnWild

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Righto Dougy now that Stevie has cleaned up the Euros do you think you could arrange for someone up in Darwin to give us the drum on who is fast for the AUS Nats

#51 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Pretty impressive performance from my tip for the Euros and in the last race, it's all to sail for when it comes to the rest of the podium. It looks likely that it will be 3 out of the top 4 from Oz, but who will be second?

For me, the interesting thing is that we are seeing a mix of boats up at the front. Even when there was breeze at the beginning of the event, we saw a Nikita, Scheurer and DNA right up there (and IIRC, Chris Field in his Vision up there early on?) It seems likely that the new boards (J or S) aren't the dominant force some hoped or feared they would be.

As for the Oz Nationals, I stick with my prediction that the winner will be a Parker,

#52 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Two words..... Adam beattie

#53 WetnWild

WetnWild

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:11 AM

I heard the German Flyers have been quick.

#54 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Pretty breezy at the moment, it's meant to drop out apparently by the start of the practice race in a few hours though.

#55 WetnWild

WetnWild

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Come on Dougy any reports on the AUS Nats. I hear the engineering on the German Flyers has been substandard.

#56 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Come on Dougy any reports on the AUS Nats. I hear the engineering on the German Flyers has been substandard.

Try www.mantra.org.au   for Aussie nats results

#57 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

http://www.manta.org.au/a-cat

#58 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

yep sorry_________ manta.org.au

#59 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Results will require some amendment.  There have been no ties on the water - that's the program doing that.  Also 961 Dsq from race 9. Lay day tomorrow.

#60 Tcatman

Tcatman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

OK

What is an A class Intl... versus an A class Std versus an A class Classic by AUSSI definitions?

I think you guys are spot on by recording times and then handicapping the A class flavors.  I assume those are the VIC Portsmouth ratings of 68 to 69.5 to 71.0.   I am a huge proponent of taking times for OD racing..... (I know the RC hates it... but that's life)

Just looking at some time deltas gives you a sense of the racing and for sailors a real record of the ladder you need to climb to the top.  

You are

Good job by the RC.

#61 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

If you goggle cycle yard stick there is an explanation of the differences but classic is basically pre-flyer with ali mast (putting a carbon mast on makes it a std). Intl is basically post DNA or anything with curved boards.

#62 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Just looking at some time deltas gives you a sense of the racing and for sailors a real record of the ladder you need to climb to the top.  

Some of the finishes have been spectacular.  A foot, a nose, and even an inch!  Jack got at least one bullet by excellent tactics and perfect timing a boatlength out.  All this at 20 knots or so - I would be out of control!   It is awesome racing.

#63 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

If you goggle cycle yard stick there is an explanation of the differences but classic is basically pre-flyer with ali mast (putting a carbon mast on makes it a std). Intl is basically post DNA or anything with curved boards.

Sorry that was written on my phone google "VYC Yardstick"

#64 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

What do you think of sail Brewin?

https://fbcdn-sphoto...1_3021813_n.jpg

#65 whitepointer

whitepointer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

You'll be spewin if you ain't got Brewin. Results speak for themselves. 1st and 4th at the Euros. Without doubt the fastest sail downhill on tap.

#66 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

All hail Jack.  Came down to the last race, which was shortened after 2 laps.  D Brewer beat Jack across the line by about a boatlength, but Jack won the series on the countback as he had more 1's.

#67 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

You'll be spewin if you ain't got Brewin. Results speak for themselves. 1st and 4th at the Euros. Without doubt the fastest sail downhill on tap.

I like to ignore the sail makers results when looking at this sort of stiff, which in this case rules out 1st and 2nd. What sail was 3rd using?

#68 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

I like to ignore the sail makers results when looking at this sort of stiff, which in this case rules out 1st and 2nd. What sail was 3rd using?

Why? They still have to sail round the course. In fact, if you take Stevie and Landy, they have probably done less sailing than anybody else in the top 10, so IMO, their performances should be considered pretty significant. 3rd I think was an Ashby. 4th was a Brewin. I think Steve Brayshaw's result is a stand out, not because of his late switch to DNA, a boat he has in Oz (without curved boards) but because of the way he is improving ll the time and the fact that he achieved this result despite some light winds which he hates and has problems with (his own admission).

I admit I haven't used or trained against a Landy, but when you compare the Ashby and Brewin, you are talking about 2 very different sails. The Ashby cannot be powered up in the same way and is therefore generally flatter all round, but this makes it an easier sail to use. The Brewin is far more adjustable and, I believe, needs to be adjusted a reasonable amount to keep it at its optimum. Overall, I suspect that the Ashby is easier to use and easier to go fast with upwind, although carefull set up and trimming gets the Brewin competitive enough, while downwind, the ability to power up and I believe be able to choose between any combination of flat or full, open leach or closed, gives the Brewin a worthwhile edge. As Whitepointer says, the fastest downwind.

Of course, that's just my view and I admit that Stevie is a friend. Even so, friendship is one thing while boatspeed is another and I need all the boatspeed I can get to make up for how shit I am. that's why I choose the Brewin! :D

#69 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

All hail Jack.  Came down to the last race, which was shortened after 2 laps.  D Brewer beat Jack across the line by about a boatlength, but Jack won the series on the countback as he had more 1's.

Good on Jack for making the effort to get home from the Euros to support the event at his home club.

#70 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

sail Brewin is very interesting to see the typology, old style vertical panel.

#71 whitepointer

whitepointer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oi Simon  

Ease up on the Brayshaw has problems in the Lights winds business. For your information I actually go good in the light winds, winning the Vic states in a regatta that multiple light wind races. My poor performance on the first light wind day at the euro's was mostly due to poor rig set up that was was drastically changed after that day, as was evident with a much better performance on the last day that was also very light . Yes I may hate the light winds due to the fact that sailing in light wind is boring and not much fun but I can hold my own in the Light when I am set up for it.

Another Brewin Sails wins again today with Jack Benson taking out the Australian Nationals up in Darwin today. Good work Hairy Fairy :P   

Love Your mate Brayshaw :D  

#72 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Why?
simple statistics, eliminate the extremes then look for a pattern. The same reason I wouldn't look to what came last as a way to eliminate an option.

#73 Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi ITA,

Just from the pic, Brewin's sail looks a lot like the Glaser that Ben Moon and others have been doing very well with since 2011.   Here is a recent pic of one from some local sailing we did in Florida.

1003644_693065437377172_1351300977_n.jpg

#74 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Great, so there is a return to the old style,good thing for everyone if prices decrease.

Hi ITA,

Just from the pic, Brewin's sail looks a lot like the Glaser that Ben Moon and others have been doing very well with since 2011.   Here is a recent pic of one from some local sailing we did in Florida.

#75 whitepointer

whitepointer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi ITA,

WRONG
The Brewin Radial is nothing like the Glaser Sail. Just ask your American mate Bruce Mahoney who used a Glaser sail at the Euros and after the regatta took home a Brewin as he was he was impressed home quick they are. He was spewin cause he wasn't on a Brewin:)

#76 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Looking at the two pictures in particular battens 7 - 4, the profile shape of the Brewin upwind looks similar to the profile shape of the Glaser with Ben Moon trapping downwind. I know that Ben and others (like me) typically do not ease the outhaul after turning downwind because we believe the sail powers up fine with just downhaul ease.

#77 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

With all due respect to everyone in the above conversation, you really can't say anything of value about either sail from those photos aside from the fact that they are both radial cut pentax sails that have probably been designed on the same software.

#78 WetnWild

WetnWild

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Where's the detailed report on the AUS Nats from our resident expert Dougy the Gun. Or has he been too busy sitting at home polishing his NS14 trophy?

#79 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

With all due respect to everyone in the above conversation, you really can't say anything of value about either sail from those photos aside from the fact that they are both radial cut pentax sails that have probably been designed on the same software.

Panel layouts look similar and I can only say that my exposure to the Brewin sails in the US compared to the Glaser's (Lars1 and Den Ben) has been that the Brewins consistently setup with a more powerful shape downwind. Certainly sailor skill and experience is a factor. In my limited conversations with Steve at a few events since 2002 and many conversations with Jay, I find both have similar design goals in producing a user friendly sail with competitive speed. I've owned three Ashby sails and I struggled to be as consistent as I have been with the Glaser sails.

#80 Dougy the gun

Dougy the gun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

Foils breakages, lack of righting ropes and 2 guys that were superior. There is so much to talk about but im just waiting for my sources to return to get all detsils. Any questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users