5 replies to this topic

#1 Abilyn Racing

Abilyn Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Looking for a creative solution for keeping my Raymarine X5 tiller pilot ram close nearby.  My X5 ram needs to mounted on deck to the tiller and plugged in before it can be engaged.  Worse, it doesn't allow hand steering while on standby.  So, going from auto to standby, I need to physically remove the ram from its mount before I can hand steer again.

So I'm looking for a good spot on my Pogo2 to mount the ram (e.g., with Velcro).  I can't keep it in the rope bag on the escape hatch, because that's a recipe for disaster.  Any number of lines could snag the ram and send it flying into the drink.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

#2 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Any way the boat end could stay attached, and bungee/velcro the tiller end to the deck, so all you have to do is lift it up and drop it into the tiller.

Photos of your current set up would be helpful, cant wait to get mine! ; D

HW

#3 Abilyn Racing

Abilyn Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Any way the boat end could stay attached, and bungee/velcro the tiller end to the deck, so all you have to do is lift it up and drop it into the tiller.

Photos of your current set up would be helpful, cant wait to get mine! ; D

HW

No.  The boat end of the ram has a stainless steel cylinder that fits into a slot on a bridge that traverses the carbon attachment joining the tilers.  I'll send pics of setup later.

#4 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I put a plastic clip near the tiller. When not in use, I just drop the ram into that clip. The boaty end stays in the slot.

Takes just one move to put the ram back onto the tiller.

Attached File  IMAGE_7.jpg   59.07K   40 downloads

Attached File  IMAGE_8.jpg   56.37K   35 downloads

#5 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Suggest you lash the ram so cannot come loose, and anticipate the tiller pin will either come loose or break off shore.

#6 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Couple of other thoughts after a 400 mile offshore race and many others' experience: The X-5 electrical connection to ram is rubbish. I lubed mine with non-conductive silicone grease, installed a new one, and upon return (after the tiller pin broke off) the connector was completely corroded. I'm replacing both of mine with proper waterproof connectors. The computer is ok, but the mechanical and electrical connections are not up to serious offshore sailing. Oh, and purchase one or two more rams as well if doing anything but coastal cruising.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users