15 replies to this topic

#1 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

So I am a dinosaur who still reads a real newspaper every day.  My rag of choice is the Chicago Tribune which also works well as emergency toilet paper when the need arises.

Anyways, the Trib just dropped the daily and Sunday Doonesbury comics from their pages.  This pisses me off since it is one of the reasons I continued to get the paper delivered.

Have other papers dropped this or other favorites recently?

Chime in.

#2 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Often moved to the editorial page, but in funnies here.

TOG

#3 biogrove

biogrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Sailing / Music / Skiing / Homebrew

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

Reading the paper (Chi Trib) over a morning cup o' joe with the wife is a daily thing at our house. I've been missing Doonesbury as well. I saw no notice and haven't found it in other sections. Might be time to just quit this home subscription. Heck, I read the Hawks lost in today's edition and I don't like reading that kind of Shite!

#4 See LEVEL

See LEVEL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Gary Trudeu stopped writing new Doonesbury for the summer.

#5 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just be glad you are even getting a paper at all.  They killed the Rocky mtn news yrs ago and the post just keeps getting smaller and smaller.  Read the trib online for Bears stuff.  Bitches went to subscription only online about a yr ago...  sucks.....

#6 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

Boston Glob (dead trees edition) still publishes Doonesbury.   I'm getting my daily fix online, though.  Bad enough hauling buckets of partly read copies of the Wall St.Urinal to the dump... er.. "State of the Art Recycling and Disposal Facility"...  to ship to China. 

Kind of in withdrawal for Trudeau' s summer hiatus....  Nerve of that guy, going to reruns right after sending Alex into labor (twins, no less), at her graduation (from MIT, no less).  To say nothing of leaving us hanging on Zonker and Zipper's pot farm venture, unfinished business with Jeff and the editor chick, Joanie's Senate job, attempted coups in Berzerkistan....  At least gives us Doonesbury addicts something to look forward to after Labor Day.

#7 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

Doons hasn't been funny since the 70's. Truly odd that he bothers, as it as slipped from being meaningful to just left wing pabulum

#8 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I still find Doonesbury pretty witty, and I'm no lefty.

#9 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

I haven't bothered to look at that strip since the 80's

#10 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Read Doonesbury online every morning right before I check out SA....   Been a fan since I was a kid!

#11 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,456 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

Read Doonesbury online every morning right before I check out SA....   Been a fan since I was a kid!

I always kinda figured you were related to Duke.

#12 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

I always kinda figured you were related to Duke.

Back in the day when Duke would hallucinate (due to pills containing "extract from the pineal glands of male adolescent iguanas") the strip was classic....   And his ongoing feud with John Denver was good for a laugh too....

#13 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Say what you want about Trudeau, but nothing in the so-called mainstream media shows as much empathy toward active military and recent veterans.   He invests characters like B.D., Toggle, Carlos and Melissa with depth -- dignity and strength and humor, as well as pathos and struggle.  

#14 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Say what you want about Trudeau, but nothing in the so-called mainstream media shows as much empathy toward active military and recent veterans.   He invests characters like B.D., Toggle, Carlos and Melissa with depth -- dignity and strength and humor, as well as pathos and struggle.  

+1!!   Don't forget Ray, the Gulf vet with PTSD.....

#15 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

+1!!   Don't forget Ray, the Gulf vet with PTSD.....

Sorry, SGT Ray.  And what's her name,  Melissa's sidekick, the woman who came out of the closet after DADT was repealed. And the guy who runs the Vets' Center. 

#16 TornadoCAN99

TornadoCAN99

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

And RedRascal...that guy cracks me up everytime! Such a leftie, eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users