21 replies to this topic

#1 abroad

abroad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

This is a call for calm. There seems to be a constant stream of trolling and arguing between members here. Those not willing to argue or take the bait are drowned out. Those with design or racing experience simply don't waste their time.

I have been lurking on this forum for some time as I am an Americas cup enthusiast , and the likes of JNavas post exceptional content. However, I have been disappointed by the interaction between members here.

Rather than intelligent discussion and debate, many of the threads devolve into heckling and trolling. The GD vs AR debate has become a religious dead horse that continues to be flogged.

Can't we be civil? Can't we enjoy the drama for what it is, rather than attacking each other or posturing?

#2 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

are you trying to sell something? :)

This is a call for calm. There seems to be a constant stream of trolling and arguing between members here. Those not willing to argue or take the bait are drowned out. Those with design or racing experience simply don't waste their time.

I have been lurking on this forum for some time as I am an Americas cup enthusiast , and the likes of JNavas post exceptional content. However, I have been disappointed by the interaction between members here.

Rather than intelligent discussion and debate, many of the threads devolve into heckling and trolling. The GD vs AR debate has become a religious dead horse that continues to be flogged.

Can't we be civil? Can't we enjoy the drama for what it is, rather than attacking each other or posturing?

#3 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,743 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Those with design or racing experience simply don't waste their time.

Not altogether true.

There is a tradition here for 1st time posters and if you've been lurking as you say, you know what it is. We are waiting.

#4 Brutal

Brutal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Can't we be civil?

Where's the fun in that?!?!?

#5 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

We should all get a lawn!

#6 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Who's turn is it to cut it?

#7 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sure we can, but why a lawn when you can have a pie ? .

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=_AOeSrLCD-U

#8 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I've heard the Oracle lawn mower can foil.

#9 Brutal

Brutal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Anyone got Larry's number?  Maybe we can get him to pay for a service... :rolleyes:

#10 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Anyone got Larry's number?  Maybe we can get him to pay for a service... :rolleyes:

Julian Guthrie has Larry's number.

#11 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Is it greener on the other side?

#12 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Unfortunately there are forum members who hate GD and will attempt to wrangle some way of discrediting him from anything he says regardless of the actual facts to hand.

The exact same goes for some members views on Artemis Racing.

Never the twain shall meet.

#13 Oneyoti

Oneyoti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

The amount of arguing on this forum is surely a function of how well or badly the current AC holder is handling the event.

AC33 was a sh1tfest and the moment Lazza and Wuss ignored the input of prospective challengers and went with their hip-muppet of a CoR, then AC34 descended into the same.  

#14 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Like it, ETNZ is a tractor and OR is a lawn mower!

I've heard the Oracle lawn mower can foil.

#15 Kahlessa

Kahlessa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Books, history, science, adventure, discovering life's hidden secrets

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

I refer you to this page (emphasis mine):

About SA

What is Sailing Anarchy?

The currently available sailing publications and web sites are often filled with stories that are something less than insightful. Oh sure you can read from some expert on how to win every race that you’ve ever entered, but the real stories about people and events in this sport are either ignored or whitewashed. When was the last time your read an Editorial that didn’t put you to sleep? Many boat reviews are nothing more than politically correct spin to ensure the advertising revenue is not jeopardized. It’s time to change all that. Sailing Anarchy will present topics, ideas and, critiques that have never been written about before. Anywhere.

But perhaps most importantly, we have a Message Board where robust discussions will be encouraged. If you have a question about anything in a review, a roundtable, or a Q&A put it up on the Message Board and we’ll get it followed up.

If you’re looking to have your comments edited or ignored at the whim of a curmudgeon, then you've come to the wrong place. Got an opinion? Let’s hear it. But you better prepare for a healthy dose of reality. This is where the big kids play. If you can’t stand the heat, there are other places for you of the more sensitive in nature.

This site is being produced for the love of the game, not as part of some ridiculous dot com strategy, or a “gee isn't our sport of yachting so wonderful” philosophy. It is a forum for industry insiders and racing sailors to exchange ideas. We will be continually exploring topics that interest us, and we’ll be looking to the Message Board for the topics that interest you. We encourage your participation here at Sailing Anarchy. Where the hell else are you going to have this much freedom to say what you want? After all, that is ultimately what Anarchy is all about.

Welcome

Thanks very much,

Scot Tempesta

Editor/Publisher

Sailing Anarchy

#16 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

I agree with the thread starter- I just can't believe the amount of sour grapes being flung at and by this site. It's long past the point of "a healthy dose of reality" and well into pettiness.

My reality? I've followed the AC since I was a kid and Ted Turner defended in Courageous. We had viewing parties in Pop's basement as Dennis Connor got it back in Fremantle. I kept fingers crossed that an SF syndicate could bring it to the Bay a dozen years ago. Yep, the monohulls are more traditional and elegant, but dang! our YC got a tour of the Oracle Racing facility at Pier 80 and it looked like NASA Ames in there. (Fearless prediction: look for a wing-sail cat class at the 2020 Olympics. After a taste of the performance and challenge of even the AC 45s, anything less will feel like a copout.) Stan Honey's team is developing and bringing out unprecedented media presentations and all boat data from the ACRM's onboard sensors will be available to anyone with a smart phone and their free app. I wandered among the throngs lining the Marina Green last fall and saw first hand the enthusiasm for the event. It's not gonna replace ball-and-stick sports around here-- I'm looking at this as a bellwether for how provincial or cosmopolitan our area is.

Squabbling among teams? Heaven forbid! Obviously the result of poor management! You never see such accusations in Formula One, MLB, NBA, tennis, NASCAR, Premier League Socc--- oh, wait. Never mind.

That's my reality and I gotta say,  the AC looks pretty good to me. Hie thee to SF to see the fastest, most challenging and advanced boats ever.

Disagreement is one thing, but just flinging factually barren emotional reactions doesn't win folks over to your point of view. On the contrary...

#17 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,743 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

^

I'm afraid being new here, you've missed a memo. The "rapturous enthusiasm phase" ran during 2011 and 2012. We are now into the "bitter recrimination" period.

#18 Oneyoti

Oneyoti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

^

I'm afraid being new here, you've missed a memo. The "rapturous enthusiasm phase" ran during 2011 and 2012. We are now into the "bitter recrimination" period.

Brilliant +100000 

#19 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

The increased sourness  is recurring thing on SAAC, it goes up just before the AC starts for some reason, and then dies down quickly after.

Just a few months ago I read most posts but with so much BS it just isnt worth the time and effort.

#20 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

^

:lol:

#21 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

^

That post is a piece of art. Thanks mate, that's gold.

#22 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hey-- don't let the trolls suck the life out of you, or the AC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users