10 replies to this topic

#1 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Ok gang, I'm looking at getting a carbon boom done here. It needs some attachement points for the vang and mainsheet. I'm looking for pics of the molded glass bit that sits on top of the boom, that you can pass line through, and tie a block to the boom. Having a bit of trouble finding them.

Many thanks!!

#2 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

I found would I'm looking for. But any variations would be appreciated.

#3 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Check out Chris Henderson's "Henderson Boat Company" http://www.hendersonboat.com/#!projects/vstc3=spars/blades/photostackergallery13=2 

Click on the bottom image in the vertical stack (blades and spars) and cycle through.  He's got detail of a really nice build he's done

#4 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

For some reason I can't see what you describd.. It may be because I'm on my iPad..

#5 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

http://www.cstcompos...-out-your-boom/

This might be what you want.

#6 barney

barney

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

For some reason I can't see what you describd.. It may be because I'm on my iPad..

It's in flash.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Here is one option from a 505.  The one my brother made for my carbon boom was more low slung...I'll try to find a pic of it.

Attached Files

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Here is my boom during the construction process.  The carbon bit in the foreground is the one my brother made for the main sheet block attachment.  The one in the background was installed by Larry Tuttle at Waterat.

Attached Files

#9 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Carbon, did you experience any issues with running a line rather than a strap? A lot of the advice I've heard is to avoid lines as they point-load the spar. Or does the base of the installed parts take care of spreading the load around?

#10 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

If you use rope for the vang and cross the lines on top, the lower rope makes a hard hard point and compresses the boom. I have a broken boom to prove this is not satisfactory. Loose weave ropes which lay flat seem to be OK though.

#11 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

If you use rope for the vang and cross the lines on top, the lower rope makes a hard hard point and compresses the boom. I have a broken boom to prove this is not satisfactory. Loose weave ropes which lay flat seem to be OK though.

Agree!  My I14 has a strap for the vang and spectra loops for the mainsheet blocks.  It's the original boom from the 2000 Bermuda worlds...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users