• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 silversailor

silversailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

I'm considering adding adjustable genoa blocks to my Hanse 370.  Any experience?  Worth the $500 investment?  Garhauer vs Harken?

#2 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Why?  No, seriously because the application, your goal in having adjustable cars, will make a difference in the answer to your question.

#3 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

I'm considering adding adjustable genoa blocks to my Hanse 370.  Any experience?  Worth the $500 investment?  Garhauer vs Harken?

If you need to make adjustments under load your best solution is to do it with a ball bearing car and a 4:1 tackle. Harken is a very good option and will be reasonably priced. Any system that slides over a T-Track or a simple slide type of car will creat a lot of friction to move under load.

What system do you have now? this is important because most , if not all, traveler systems are incompatible with each other; so let's see what is there first and try to find a solution using the same track.

#4 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

In this article I describe the way we make our adjustment for sailing off the wind.  We use a jib sheet twing rather than moving the car.  It is easier to do.  If you are moving the car because you are partially furling a jib, then the adjustable car, Garhauer makes a nice ball bearing one for not much money, would be better. http://L-36.com/twing.php

I sailed on AC-76 last weekend.  They are using a jib that is really too small for the way the boat was set up as they are taking tourists out for a ride and not defending the America's Cup.  They used a jibsheet twing to make the final adjustment.  It was a very big strong ring for a very large sail.  The TP-52's rely on jib sheet twings for the jib lead.  The jib track and car feed the control line to the twing ring. The sheet does not go through the car, just the twing ring.   It is really something you should consider as an alternative to a movable car.

#5 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

@Allen - Those are called "In Fuckers".  Been around a long time...

@Silver - Go with adjustable jib car tracks.  Harken is good.  Worth the investment IMHO

#6 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hi Silversailor,

We just did the same upgrades to a couple of similar boats of your boat (Dufour 38 and Grand Solei 42). Definitely HARKEN for a low friction system. It is worth the money as it will allow you to depower when the breeze comes up or to move the lead all the way forward for close reaching. The following are the parts you may need for a 3:1 system (we are assuming that you don't have a ball bearing track) - let us know if you will prefer a 4:1 system as some of the part numbers will change:
HARG273B_T.jpg

Code: HARG273B
Price: $297.84
HARE2750_T.jpg

Code: HARE2750
Price: $200.82

HARR2712M_T.jpg

Code: HARR272M
Price: $122.23
HAR1523_T.jpg

Code: HAR1523
Price: $41.76

Note: You may need to add a Harken 150 camcleat per side (with fairlead) and footblock if you need to divert the genoa lead line.

Note about pricing: Call us for a friend of Sailing Anarchy deal (not sure how we can make it work with $500 but will do our best).

Do not hesitate to give us a call to go over it or let us know if we can provide you with any additional technical information.

Best regards,

Juan Mauri

#7 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

It takes careful design and thought.  The twing setup is simple, but you need two winches and normally the secondary which will take the twing is further aft.

New cars is just the start since you need some leads to get the control lines to the right place.

What problem are you solving?  Around the buoys or long distance?  Moving the lead for 30 minutes 30 hours?

#8 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Harken is the go to solution.

If you can handle a bit more friction and probably the ability to adjust the car forward when close hauled in a breeze, Garhauer is an affordable option that runs on existing T track.

As asked earlier, what are your objectives?

#9 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

I have Garhauer and they have been fine. I asked them to modify it do that there was an opening block instead of the standard block...

http://jims-scampi.com/drupal/node/137

#10 Bastiat

Bastiat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

Simple CHEAP way for occasional adjustment is a relieving line. Can be just an old spare hunk of line with an eye hook (cunningham hook works well) tied to the end. Put the hook in the clew cringle,  tighten to take the load of the genny sheet, adjust the car, release the relieving line and adjust the genny sheet.

#11 Bastiat

Bastiat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Simple CHEAP way for occasional adjustment is a relieving line. Can be just an old spare hunk of line with an eye hook (cunningham hook works well) tied to the end. Put the hook in the clew cringle,  tighten to take the load of off the genny sheet, adjust the car, release the relieving line and adjust the genny sheet.

#12 silversailor

silversailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

To answer some of your questions:  we do JAM club races and distance races (just completed the Milwaukee, WI to Ludington, MI across Lake Michigan Queens Cup 81.1nm) as well as lots of cruising. My existing track is only about .75" wide with a Harken car.  Would need to upgrade track as well as adjustable cars. You have offerred lots of good suggestions.  The  ring on the twing line seems like a low cost alternative that can accomplish everything that a movable genoa block system can do.  It's easily installed before races and can utilize my secondary winches. Allen, can I get you to make some of those soft shackles for me?

Thanks all.

#13 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

To answer some of your questions:  we do JAM club races and distance races (just completed the Milwaukee, WI to Ludington, MI across Lake Michigan Queens Cup 81.1nm) as well as lots of cruising. My existing track is only about .75" wide with a Harken car.  Would need to upgrade track as well as adjustable cars. You have offerred lots of good suggestions.  The  ring on the twing line seems like a low cost alternative that can accomplish everything that a movable genoa block system can do.  It's easily installed before races and can utilize my secondary winches. Allen, can I get you to make some of those soft shackles for me?

Thanks all.

Sorry to take so long to reply.  Somehow everything is going to the spam folder.  The soft shackles are pretty easy to make.  Here is a link to the best kind http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php  They really are better.  Endorsed by Brion Toss and all that.  If you have any questions, just let me know.

Not sure if this came out but if your need for the twing is occasional and you have lots of room, a locking carabiner works well.  Don't even think of using a spring loaded carabiner and use one with a completely round cross section (lower friction).  The spring ones will lock themselves to your lifeline and get stuck forever in your jib car.  Don't ask how I know.  I use round rings on my jib in a permanent setup where a single ring serves both the twing and inhauler.  For the big jibs, we use the locking carabiners.  Just hook them up when and if needed.  They go to the secondary winches.

One thing that was not mentioned about the adjustable jib cars is that there is a lot of line associated with the control line.  It can be a pain.  The twing may need a winch but the line is 1:1 and isn't getting in the way all the time.

Allen

#14 DRDNA

DRDNA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I've had 4 different boats, all with Harken adjustable genoa cars.  I adjusted the leads frequently, and the system is easy and glides under load.  That's my total input.

#15 j34035

j34035

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have had harken and garhauer both. Harken is the best, but Garhauer is a close second, especially when you consider you get to use your existing track. Customer service is superb from both. Go to one or the other, you will love them!
DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users