95 replies to this topic

#1 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

As much as Scoot and Clean can be complete fucking idiots, the community here has been amazing through the years. Here's what it means to me.

Waaaay back, in the original forum, Solo, emailed me a link to it. I don't think I actually physically met him at that point, but our friendship took off from there. That was what 12 years ago, I reckon? I'm spending this weekend with him and his family as part of my family's vacation.

At that time a lot of industry big players were openly posting. I remember friending one (who I won't name) who was going threw a nasty divorce and talking him off the cliff and simply providing a fresh prospective to what he shared as his view of life at the time. I remember it because I could feel his frustration and pain and I think I may have relieved it a bit.

A while later, I became friends with A local to me. My wife spent last weekend with his wife for a girl's weekend. He and his wife are my son's god parents. He is one of my best friends today. He lives 1 mile away from me. Hadn't met him before SA.

Yachtwoman. The old school will remember her, is still a close friend of mine, although we've met once and she's lived on 2 different continents since we met. We're still solid.

I was lucky enough to be in the right business at the right time to help the Ocean Planet 2002-2003 campaign which brought me to England to work as a team member of Bruce's shore team. Met lots of Anarchists on that trip! I still go back and forth with to this day. Sorry I missed you Ash last week....

When I was between jobs, I found my tiller torn off my boat. Money was really tight. Ned in Hawaii told me to mail it to him, he took my broken wooden laminate tiller and sent me back a carbon beauty!

I've had people over the years join me on Wednesday night series, cause they posted an interest while they were visiting Boston.

During a business trip to San Diego, I met up with Scooter at SDYC. He hosted me and we had a blast! He had just picked up his FT, along with a vicious bar tab I left him with..... (You're still a douche for not giving me a lift back to my hotel, you douche!)

SA hooked me up when the Extreme Sailing Series was in Boston a couple of years back. I got a ride sailing with a bunch of Brits in the final race on Boston Harbor on the 4th of July! That felt weird...... We/they won! Main sheet Girl would have been a great wing man, if I were single! (She would be laughing at this)!

So, yea, it's easy to shit on the gate keepers here for their antics. Where's the value of this site to you?

#2 mainsheetsister

mainsheetsister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:sarcasm
    and
    the sky

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

My sister lives here still.

So, thank you for that.

All of you.

Thanks.

#3 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

YES, yes she does... One more reason to save the place.

#4 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Yeah, Mainsheet, Spike lives here too. I am not going to let whiny little cunts like BIAM destroy this place. There are far too many haters out there. They may live in a world of hate and self loathing but I don't.

I'll tell you a story:

Many years ago My first son had just been born and my wife was kept in the hospital while I was given the baby to take home. "Who? Me? A baby?" I took Max home and my sailing buddies all pitched in and helped me. We did not know shit about babies but we made it work and we worked in teams. We were really very good. We were a skilled crew and disciplined. Spin peel in 25 knots, baby poopy diaper? We could do it.

So there I was with a 2 week old baby and no mother, she was still in the hospital. I thought I had better get this kid to church so that I knew I had laid the basic ground works for a decent person. I had no clue.

I was not a church guy. I was not a Christian. So, off I went to church, a Lutheran Church, the closest curch to my house. I filled out the little form in the pew.

When those old Lutheran ladies saw me with a new born baby they came unglued. They were all over me. If I had been attracted to 5o year oold women I could have scored big time.

A week later the pastor, Pastor Sigmar, an old Iclandic Lutheran with a weird tuppee knocked at the door. We sat down.

I told him, "I can't swallow all this Christian BS."

He said, "I can't swallow all of it either."

He said, "Think of Christianity like an art museum. You don't have to like all of the paintings."

"Just enjoy the paintings you like."

I still think that was profound and that was 35 years ago.

So, what I think I am saying here is that SA is not perfect. Parts of it drives me crazy. I do not like Scot's " I'm short so you can't punch me" attitude. I have dealt with whiny little short shits my entire life. They always have their mother's skirt to hide behind. " He's little. Don't hurt him." Unfortunately Scot's Mom's skirt are not qite big enough to cover this problem.

But, we can extract what parts of SA work for us as individuals. We don't have to like every painting in the museum.

But I do have to hand it to Scot, he did build the gallery and for that I am grateful.

Problems crop up, in a family. We can get around this problem and preserve the family.

#5 mainsheetsister

mainsheetsister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:sarcasm
    and
    the sky

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

That is beautiful, Bob.

Sailing Anarchy can be beautiful, too.

If you just enjoy the parts that you like,

because families are indeed profound.

#6 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

Bob, that was truly touching.

We are a community here.  I regard (most of) you as friends, even though I haven't met most of you or know your real names.   I'm touched how much we pulled together in support of MSG, Evo and others.   I've been dealing with my own issues (fortunately not as dire) for the past several years, and even though I haven't chosen to talk about them in the Forum, just talking about normal stuff has been a great support for me.  And I value the opportunity to read your perspectives, even ones I disagree with.

It's a terrible shame that hubris and malice threaten the platform that support our community.  Hopefully, justice will prevail.  Or, at least, we'll find another platform.

#7 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Well shitski, I didn't mean it to be "touching" I'm not that kind of guy. It was just what I was thinking while I typed.

Touch this.

#8 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

What's SA mean to you???

Nothing really. The community is nice but there is so much that could be better,

#9 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

I think we all know what SA means. It's "sailing anarchy." Thought that was pretty obvious...

#10 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

Over the years, SA has been a great source of advice on repairing stuff (thanks Gouv and others), a great source of competent crew from the crew pool for those last minute bailouts, a huge source of amusement (1000 days), a place to sell and buy used stuff, and the occasional thought-provoking discussion, sometimes even about sailing.  And tight jeans.

The human drama that has played out here has been touching in many ways.  MSG/Spike Perry are just a couple of examples.  SA is an expression of the community of sailors - yeah, maybe it is worth saving.

dash

#11 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

The Minister of Multihull Propaganda speaks well of this place.  I remember him, Sr. Chief, Solo, Ned and a slew of others who came and went (mostly went) over the years.  I also remember the contributions by industry pros - there were a bunch of them who weren't embarrassed (then) to be associated with this place.  We all learned a lot.  I started out as ULDBGuy, a handle chosen mostly in response to Sportboat, who invited me here about 12 years ago (I've never owned a ULDB).  I've spent (wasted?) countless hours in these forums over the years and like MoMP, enjoyed meeting fellow Anarchists on and around the water.

IMO the Ed hasn't really changed much (although he rarely posts any more), but when Clean showed up it all went sideways.  The focus changed to page views, making money and Clean's pathetic attempts to be edgy - which among other things got them sued.  To this day Clean is unwilling to listen to the people who really built this community.  If the Ed could somehow get through this and get his website back, we could move on.  But I fear it's too late for that.

#12 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

It's a terrible shame that hubris and malice threaten the platform 

hubris & malice mr throat-gargler ?

I think if the platform is indeed threatened it will be via Doom & Unmitigated Failure.

Karma is a bitch 

#13 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

The Minister of Multihull Propaganda speaks well of this place.  I remember him, Sr. Chief, Solo, Ned and a slew of others who came and went (mostly went) over the years.  I also remember the contributions by industry pros - there were a bunch of them who weren't embarrassed (then) to be associated with this place.  We all learned a lot.  I started out as ULDBGuy, a handle chosen mostly in response to Sportboat, who invited me here about 12 years ago (I've never owned a ULDB).  I've spent (wasted?) countless hours in these forums over the years and like MoMP, enjoyed meeting fellow Anarchists on and around the water.

IMO the Ed hasn't really changed much (although he rarely posts any more), but when Clean showed up it all went sideways.  The focus changed to page views, making money and Clean's pathetic attempts to be edgy - which among other things got them sued.  To this day Clean is unwilling to listen to the people who really built this community.  If the Ed could somehow get through this and get his website back, we could move on.  But I fear it's too late for that.

It's been 35 years since my last confession. When Alan Block started writing here on SA, I encouraged him. I admit it. Privately I tried like hell to point him in a journalistic direction....who, what, when, where, why, etc., but he was adamant that he was not a journalist, nor would he be. So this is what you get when you decide to be an un disciplined shit stirrer. It's a pity, because the man can actually write, and he truly has a passion for the sport. Unfortunately he's chosen to be the story, rather than writing about it. Somewhere in there he also seemed to forget those damnable slander lectures.

That said, I don't blame Alan for the decline of SA. That lies in the lap of the egomaniac in chief...scooter. All of this bullshit is on him. He chose to spit in the eye of the "establishment", but if you look at his demographics on Alexa, the VAST majority of SA readers are men over the age of 50. WTF, you can't get much more establishment than that; so how long can you go with the juvenile bullshit before those 50+ y/o white guys say "fuck me, I don't want to be associated with this"?

As for all of the page hits etc? Basically it's people watching and commenting on a train wreck, plus you have to delete all of the unrelated to sailing hits in GA and that cesspool PA. It's an illusion.

SA brought a bunch of international sailors of various abilities together for the first time. In that, it was a good thing. If you paid attention, you could learn stuff. The problem became Scot and Alan deciding that THEY were SA, when in fact SA was really just the rest of us. That is what is important for everyone to consider...Scot might have provided the pool in which we swim, but we provided the community. Without us, he was just the spoiled, lonely, obnoxious kid with all of toys that everyone barely tolerated. When little Napoleon says "do you know who I am?", he's actually claiming ownership of our community...you and me...and that isn't right. I've never given him permission to speak for me, and I doubt you have either.

So, while I certainly respect Mr. Perry, HCW, and MSG's sister for what they ave received from SA, I think it's important for them to know that it's the members, not Mssrs Tempesta and Block that made this place, and because of that...this community can exist ANYWHERE...for you and Spike Bob, and for MSGs sister, and everyone else that has reached out for a shoulder in the past decade+.

We can do this without all of the egos and embarrassing bullshit.

#14 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,674 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I've learned some interesting stuff on SA. Had some fun posting. None of this has impinged much on my sailing or other "real life". It's pretty much a distraction from a life in front of a keyboard, which has positive and negative aspects. Maybe if I wasn't spending time here I'd be doing something more useful. Or maybe not.

The persona Block presents here is that of a bullying know-it-all who isn't nearly as bright as he thinks he is and has great difficulty processing another point of view. Tempesta comes over as a spoiled child; "me, me, me". What they are like in real life, I don't know and, as I'm unlikely to meet them, I don't all that much care. I've certainly no intention of reaching into my pocket to bail out their business.

If SA went away, I'd find somewhere else to play. Might be better, might not, no biggie either way.

#15 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Having been around since 2001 or earlier I see there are two parts of SA

The Front page which should be an exciting place to visit but has become more and more littered with Cleans crap and Eds agenda and less and less a place to find in depth and behind the scenes stories.

Then there is the forums which is a conversation between thousands of great and not so great people from around the world and this is not something someone makes but is how many of us share information and have a joke.

How much of the sailing world have we found out about from these forums that we would have never heard about

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Having been around since 2001 or earlier I see there are two parts of SA

The Front page which should be an exciting place to visit but has become more and more littered with Cleans crap and Eds agenda and less and less a place to find in depth and behind the scenes stories.

Then there is the forums which is a conversation between thousands of great and not so great people from around the world and this is not something someone makes but is how many of us share information and have a joke.

How much of the sailing world have we found out about from these forums that we would have never heard about

Exactly

SA has 2 very distinct parts, the 'Front' page and the 'forums'.

The front page has just turned it an editorial page for Ed and Clean to fling shit around.

The forums on the other hand are what makes SA what it is, its a great community where most people do seem to genuinely care, the biggest shame is that Scot and Clean have pissed of so many industry posters that a lot less information comes out than used to.  A culling of socks would be in order, but thats about all.  It would be interesting to see how many real posters there are here, scrolling through the members list it looks like at least 50% of names registered have either never posted or have been lying dormant for years. (maybe they're being included in the figures sold to the advertisers)?

If/when the front page collapses?? how many will really care?  The forums and members can just migrate to somewhere else, in fact quite a few posters have already set themselves in readiness for the day when the plug gets pulled.

#17 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

A week later the pastor, Pastor Sigmar, an old Iclandic Lutheran with a weird tuppee knocked at the door. We sat down.

He said, "Think of Christianity like an art museum. You don't have to like all of the paintings."

+1 - Indeed. These days (?) too many people want everything to be black and white or not at all, that's rarely the case, and you miss an awful lot of good when you focus mostly on what's bad. I think that's about as good a summary of my views on SA as there is.

There's no better place for information on sailing, and no better forum for sailors to get answers and opinions, that's worth a lot. Yes, there are some asshat members, but that's true on any forum - no escaping it. And I don't understand why the principals keep shooting themselves in the foot, often on topics that have little or nothing to do with sailing, but they have every right, it's their website. I hope SA survives, and I suspect it will...

#18 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,748 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

IMO the Ed hasn't really changed much (although he rarely posts any more), but when Clean showed up it all went sideways.  

Hard to argue with that...

Another thing I really didn't like was the division into subforums after the sponsorship dollar. I can't be bothered to look at most of them, and the eclectic nature of the posts when all was together had a lot of value. You could often learn things from happening to open a topic just 'cos it was busy, but if its in another area I don't bother. I'm sure I learned from multi postings, but I don't see them now, and I can't be bothered to open the fixit section where occasionally I may have had something to offer, if only what not to do.

#19 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

The SA forums have been great. I have got free boat show tickets and a discount RIB from the forums. I have taken SA'ers from other countries out to see the VOR.

The front page has been so-so at best and the forums seem to be slowly dying. The "best" people seem to be drifting off. Clean and Ed deciding to BE the story insread of REPORTING the story was really where it went bad. Why report on KWRW when you can get in the way and report on that :rolleyes:  Oh - I can't help thinking I am not alone in this - ignoring events in Annapolis or doing some douchebag essay on how Annapolis is the worst place to sail in the entire known universe kind of got old after awhile as did the endless KWRW is tech sux. As for "challenging the status quo and taking the piss out of all the "Blue Blazer" clubs, if you are as you say the most popular sailing website, you ARE the status quo. Threatening a club with the power of your site for not letting your not-PHRF-rated-boat in a PHRF race is THE definition of the old boy bullshit club stuff. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM :rolleyes: Also note the "old" clubs got VASTLY more boats on the line that whatever amazing new thing SA thinks they created but didn't.

#20 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

It is like an art museum, like what you want.

I have enjoyed it as a distraction to work, have sailed in some places (HFX,TPA wed nights that I would not have otherwise) and kept up with some racers from WLIS where I cut my teeth racing at school.

I miss LR's rants and 'Proper' Fridays....

Sail safe!

#21 sparau

sparau

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:guitar, loud screamo music, trying to keep a laser 2 upright :)

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

any decent web coder can transfer this forum's content to another location (community based forum?) deleting whatever is useless...

SA minus all sock puppet posts?

#22 yachtwoman

yachtwoman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Have to agree with MoMP, if it wasn't for SA I wouldn't have met him or Solo & had friendships that have lasted 12 years. I told Solo to FaceTime me when you guys are shit faced tonight.

#23 yachtwoman

yachtwoman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Have to agree with MoMP, if it wasn't for SA I wouldn't have met him or Solo & had friendships that have lasted 12 years. I told Solo to FaceTime me when you guys are shit faced tonight.

#24 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

It's a fucking internet forum you imbeciles.

#25 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Ditto. The forums are turning sour, because a few tools have hijacked them, and are chasing away valuable contributors. It seems like sailing is a sidebar conversation these days, not the main attraction.  "Irreverance" has turned into vitriol and venom. There's a difference.

Ditto on the hate for the Annapolis area, you're not alone. Even in my newbie-ness of only 3 years of sailing, I recognize the incredible variety of sailing conditions here, that provide a well-rounded racing experience, and the plentiful variety of clubs and sailing associations that accomodate nearly every budget and social stratum.

<Snip>The front page has been so-so at best and the forums seem to be slowly dying. The "best" people seem to be drifting off.

<Snip>Oh - I can't help thinking I am not alone in this - ignoring events in Annapolis or doing some douchebag essay on how Annapolis is the worst place to sail in the entire known universe kind of got old after awhile as did the endless KWRW is tech sux. <snip>

#26 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

his reputation will be that he took SA down, not that of a fat fuck.

Nope, he will always be known as a FAT FUCK....and a GRIFTER by those who have no vested interest in slathering his opulent ass with their slobber

#27 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

DM is irrelavant to 99.9% of the sailing that 99.9% of us do. I couldn't care less about his alleged fatness or grifter-ness, but SA decided to make the fight of the century over it.

To quote my boss before I was about to go all in objecting to some senior-exec level asshatery - "Do you really want to die on THIS hill today? Really?"

#28 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

hehehe it's that, it's also an internet forum that allowed/permitted/encouraged bad behavior. And that's sorta what made it a fun place to hang out. 

I've made some pretty good friends, found some decent crew, rec'd some good boat/car/travel/Ski/ information. Hell, I've even gotten laid as a result

of being on here and that takes some doing. But.... As much time as I spent on here the first few years, because I couldn't wait to see who wrote

what in response to some truly funny stuff, I come on here now more out of habit than any real interest in what's going on in here. This place jumped the shark for me about 4 years ago. Most of the people I know from here that I like and would like to keep in my life I have on Facebook or have their private email address or phone number so If this place goes away.. mehhh .. so what..

The thing about this place that I will miss the least, is the lack of civility, The forums are reminding me more and more of the US Congress.

SA has been overrun by the "it's all about me" generation, the "I'm right, you're wrong" set that have no insight into the possibility that there are gray areas in most facets of life, and that people are entitled to a broad range of  opinions, and that, thank god, tastes vary.

And to save the research department some time, yeah I've been guilty of some of the sins I've outlined above.

The most telling thing to me is I now have almost 50% of the most active posters on this place on ignore.

#29 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Nope, he will always be known as a FAT FUCK....and a GRIFTER by those who have no vested interest in slathering his opulent ass with their slobber

Way to make Dan's case for him

As KIS said, for 99.9% of us, we will never meet Dan Meyers, and what he does has about zero impact on our lives.  Frankly, in the unlikely event I ever did meet Dan Meyers, like everyone else I meet in real life, my opinions on him would be based on how he treated me and the people around him, not what I read on some internet website.

And as doghouse said, it's an internet forum. Ya, I've met a few cool folks by way of this website, and will meet some more no doubt.  But it's a fraction of the number of cool folks I've met through, oh, jumping on a boat and going sailing.  But I've also identified a whole whack of folks that I hope never to meet.

It is entertainment. And there's lots of entertainment to be found in the world and on the internet. I'd survive the same way I survived when I cancelled my cable television, and that's by finding something else to do.

#30 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Dan Myers Grifter-ness matters because though unethical means (I mean, he was forced to resign afterall) he conned kids who probably should have known better into taking out college loans at above market rates. As he buys 100 acres of Newport beachfront from the profits, the ENTIRE COUNTRY is headed to a disaster of epic proportions. And since these loans (from what I hear) can't be discharged in bankruptcy, the effects may be as profound as the housing crisis. This isn't just about a FAT FUCK with a lot of money and arrogance. This is a national scandal.

#31 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

If Ed and Clean want to be investigative JOURNALISTS, they should learn what that means and why the Washington Post just doesn't have "Mr X is a grifter fat douche" as the front page every other day. No one is defending DM here, just that many of us knew the half-cocked assault on a rich guy wouldn't end well and so far it has not.

#32 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

What's SA mean to you???

I have enjoyed it as a distraction to work.

That's pretty much the main attraction for me.

#33 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

I've not been here as long as most of you, I've been reading for mere 4-5 years now. This place has taught me a lot, hooked me up with a new class that I'm enjoying sailing in, introduced me to a lot of people virtually and even a few in real life, and plenty more besides. I may not know many of you in real life, but I certainly feel connected to the personalities that hang around here. To me this place has been a source of knowledge and a good way to waste too many hours of my life; if it were to disappear I would probably miss a lot of the characters around here, but life would carry on. The sailing world is not that big, most of us will run into one another even if we don't realize it, and maybe in time a new online community will form.

I'm hoping that SA lasts, but when I see what they're being accused of, I realize that this kick in the ass had to come eventually.

#34 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

I was sooooo sick of JohnB's censorship on the USSailing forum back in 2000.  What a change when somebody popped up 'hey go check out this email thread between some kook and Leif Beiley!'  HaHa USS doesn't even have a forum anymore.

#35 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

The forums have a funny rhythm where sometimes its' drivel for months and sometimes something happens and there are valuable posters for months. Dunno why that is.

I accept the `fuck you' attitude of SA because I know I won't have to suffer through political correctness and people are saying what they mean.

Ok, I have a shortlist of posters who give me the shits by spoiling threads and causing other interesting posters to disappear; but that's free speech for you.

#36 Finnius

Finnius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Golf

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

He is getting alot of press to the contrary though.

#37 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

hehehe it's that, it's also an internet forum that allowed/permitted/encouraged bad behavior. And that's sorta what made it a fun place to hang out. 

I've made some pretty good friends, found some decent crew, rec'd some good boat/car/travel/Ski/ information. Hell, I've even gotten laid as a result

of being on here and that takes some doing. But.... As much time as I spent on here the first few years, because I couldn't wait to see who wrote

what in response to some truly funny stuff, I come on here now more out of habit than any real interest in what's going on in here. This place jumped the shark for me about 4 years ago. Most of the people I know from here that I like and would like to keep in my life I have on Facebook or have their private email address or phone number so If this place goes away.. mehhh .. so what..

The thing about this place that I will miss the least, is the lack of civility, The forums are reminding me more and more of the US Congress.

SA has been overrun by the "it's all about me" generation, the "I'm right, you're wrong" set that have no insight into the possibility that there are gray areas in most facets of life, and that people are entitled to a broad range of  opinions, and that, thank god, tastes vary.

And to save the research department some time, yeah I've been guilty of some of the sins I've outlined above.

The most telling thing to me is I now have almost 50% of the most active posters on this place on ignore.

Dammit dude, take that good sense outta here.

#38 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

Cite? 

#39 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

It would be funny to compare "ignore" lists. MAybe a separate thread....

I've got Clean on my list along with quite a few others....

#40 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Ahoy to MoMP.  Doing the carbon tiller was a gas.  With SA I've made some fabulous friends around the world, or at least maybe half of it.  That's been a treat and added a whole new meaning to sailing for me.  And certainly a throwback to what sailing used to be about.  

As for SA, there have been some high points and some remarkable lows.  Having the place get swallowed by the gravity field from Clean's ego has been on the low side.  

So like Bob's Church, stay lifted in puffs, unless you're going downwind, then stay headed in puffs.  And ignore the noise from the clown in the back who thinks he's the expert.  Sail on.  

#41 Finnius

Finnius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Cite? 

New York Times, Forbes to name 2,

#42 hellion

hellion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts
  • Interests:sailing | yoga | martial arts | hiking | photography | filmmaking | graphic design | travelling

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Mahalo for starting this thread MoMp.
In all earnestness, as I tend to choose being real and brutally forthcoming over sarcastic and cynical, bleh...
sailing anarchy has been incredible for and to me! YES!

I have met people from all over the world, many face-to-face.
It has taken me on sailing adventures, including meeting Bruce Schwab and working with him and OceanPlanet for a long while...right through its bad days and its sell.
Through Ocean Planet, I met the most amazing people too. Many of whom have become good friends, and we stay in touch.
Through sailing anarchy, I have met too many amazing people to mention.

This site alterred my life!
It brought me all over the place to sail and race.
(more personal stuff was edited out here...TMI)
Hahaha!

I am not on SA as I used to be - every day - however it is a good place to come and schmooze and ask questions, and just be sociable....as I am apt to be.

Ultimately SA has been about friendship (some face-to-face, and some virtual) with this common thing we do that's a little bit nuts: racing sail boats!
I have been invited and welcomed all over the place, and I offer that to all of you as well.

So thank you Sailing Anarchy for existing, and it's been terrific to watch people ebb and flow, live and learn, and grow.
I love it!
Mean people suck...and guess what, they are here and they are everywhere. I just ignore them. They are suffering enough by not choosing joy.

Having met the Women of SA has been a fantastic way to feel normal in this choice of a lifestyle.
And working on the calender was wonder-full.
Although the reason was not.
We miss you Mainsheetgirl!

My life (in a nutshell, and somewhat because of people I've met through SA):
I live and sail in Hawai'i.
It's freakin' awesome.
I teach yoga and work as an A/V tech and videographer/editor.
I ride a Triumph Bonneville T100 as my one daily vcommuter and for joy rides with a riding group as well as solo.
Life is grand.
Come visit!

Meet me on facebook.
Send me a PM to connect.

The One, The Only,
hellion
  B)

#43 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Cite? 

New York Times, Forbes to name 2,

Did a search on Times website and found story from 2007; same on Forbes site, found bupkus???

#44 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,917 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

What does SA mean to me?  Good question.  I've put hundreds of hours in over the years working behind the scenes trying to keep things running smoothly, on a purely volunteer basis.

Why volunteer?

A couple of reasons - the primary being that since leaving the IT profession I have assiduously avoided getting paid for doing IT-like things.  The reason is simple - if you are being paid, you are accountable to some extent.  If someone wants you to do something you don't like you aren't quite in the position to tell them to get stuffed, and if something goes wrong well, as a paid person you are expected to get it fixed.  So for the same reason I wouldn't take money from people to un-fuck their PC's (so I could tell them if this doesn't work, don't call and yell at me) I didn't want to become in any way beholden to may relationship with SA.

That was the reason for never seeking compensation - but why put the time in the first place?  Because I LIKED the place.  I came to sailing later in life, I got my first boat in my early 30's.  When I started racing I had no freaking clue what I was doing.  When I discovered SA I was still climbing my way out of the back of the pack in our club's Wed. night Jib & Main class.

When I asked questions, I got answers.  I asked a LOT of freaking questions, and got mostly good answer.

I met a lot of people.  I met people at my own yacht club through SA that I'd not met before.  I met people on docks, in rum tents, at regattas - all through my association with SA.  For a while we used to joke that I was "the worlds best known mediocre sailor" because I was running across so many people that knew me from SA in all sorts of odd places on the water.

Through SA I've had people show up and help me in places far from home, I've had people over to help me schlep sails, I've been invited for sails in towns I've been visiting, I've met crew, and I've met friends.  Many "friends" in person that I see when I am nearby them, many other "friends" that I still hope to meet some day when I sail in their part of the world.  I've seen a lot of happiness when things go well for people, and some tears at some funerals I wish I hadn't had to go to (still missing you MSG!).  Staring the "Providence Boat Show Crawls" back with MoMP was another big plus, and another opportunity to meet more great folks.

I can honestly say that the vast majority, with only a couple of notable exceptions, of the people I've met in the real world via SA have turned out to be very pleasant encounters.

So overall I've had a good experience, and my way to pay back for that was to offer to help Scot when I saw he was struggling with the technological bits back before we moved to the new forums.  Dave (Dawg) was swamped trying to keep the old, decrepit forums running while finding a platform that would handle the huge influx of traffic the site was getting.  Help was needed and I pitched in, and I kept helping as the forums grew.

My relationship to Scot was different than Dawg's on a lot of levels - first of all I didn't do 1/10th of what Dawg did for this place.  I've never actually met Scot face to face though we've spoken on the phone.  Having no financial expectations of the relationship there wasn't much room for disappointment.  For all his flaws though, any time I've asked Scot for help with something he's had my back.  Whether it is getting some money for our Jr. Sailing Program which he sponsored a couple of times, to pimping my iPhone App for me when I released it, to getting the word out about a couple of worthy causes and regattas.  He's also done a couple of nice things for me I haven't expected - for example when I offered to go to Boston to report back on the VOR visit there, Scot came up with a ride on Telefonica Blue for my son and I as reporters during the practice race, and a viewing spot on Meteor for the real races.  Yes, I sat on Dan Meyers boat watching the VOR races in Boston with SA press credentials hanging around my neck.  I didn't introduce myself to him though, the savvy reader might remember that the first protest I filed in my life was against Numbers at a regatta back in 2005 and I didn't feel I should give him a hard time for not replacing my Windex, especially since the bit of metal the Windex was screwed on to sliced his main sail in half when he rolled over me.  Also I wasn't sure what DM thought of SA at the time, as it turns out discretion perhaps was the better part of valor.

With my recent changes in lifestyle though - selling the house, moving on a boat and going cruising - I don't have as much time to help and I don't have as much time for dicking around on forums.  Weeks go by without reliable internet access some times.  I also suspect that when we go through the Canal this fall I also won't have nearly as much cheap or free internet access as I've had in the Caribbean.  So I do not see myself ever really embracing an online community with this much enthusiasm again.  If I do, it will likely be one with a lot more unwashed, scruffy cheapskate cruisers on it anyway.

I'll be sad if SA is destroyed, but all things come to an end eventually.

It's not dead yet though, so we'll see where it goes and hope Scot finds a way to keep DM's lawyers at bay.

#45 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

Like most things I am torn.

On the one hand Scot has been kind to me, posting a couple of my submissions on the FP, also trading a couple of pm's. Clean helped me score a ride on the VOR VIP boat in Maimi last year, so that was way cool. I also ended-up on the RC44 VIP boat too through TE and SA, with a BIG help from Rennmaus.

I have met and become friends with people I have connected with through SA.. My brother sails with someone from SA and got to tour the BMWO compound when in SD due to SA (thanks DaWoody). It is a weird thing this internet forum thing.

So on one side I appreciate all that SA has been for me, on the other I cannot do much for the jam they have found themselves in with DM.

#46 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I am not going to let whiny little cunts like BIAM destroy this place.

Wow Bob, WTF?!  With all due respect, I think this remark is way out of line.  Writing like MR.CLEAN is far beneath you.  Only the deluded and crass Clean and Ed are capable of destroying this place, no one else.

And over this post?  All of BIAM's points are completely valid:

http://forums.sailin...28#entry4190558

I support my local calssical music radio station too. I don't like every piece they play but I like most of it.

Does your classical music station make public gay slurs?

Do they slander musicians they don't like?

Do they boast about trashing other musicians, then when they get their asses sued, ask you for a donation to defend themselves?

Do they take donations, but never account for proceeds?

Don't bother responding, I know the answer already....the classical music station is far to classy to do any of those things...

I believe your rage is misdirected.  It couldn't have been this one that pissed you off:

http://forums.sailin...83#entry4184333

Yeah, sorry for what turned into a hijack. Those of us who have unexpededly lost some we love very much know how brittle you can be in these times. Sensitivity and a gentle hand is what is called for.
Please take it down Scot. It's classless and clueless. And if you leave it up to boost its then you are a prick and you are not showing respect for the power of SA. You know better.
In my hour of darkness I clung to SA, looking for something that would ease my pain. Sounds really stupid doesn't it. But up here on my beach I had nowhere else to go. I know what the support from SA can mean.

well said.  thank you.

#47 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Dan Myers Grifter-ness matters because though unethical means (I mean, he was forced to resign afterall) he conned kids who probably should have known better into taking out college loans at above market rates. As he buys 100 acres of Newport beachfront from the profits, the ENTIRE COUNTRY is headed to a disaster of epic proportions. And since these loans (from what I hear) can't be discharged in bankruptcy, the effects may be as profound as the housing crisis. This isn't just about a FAT FUCK with a lot of money and arrogance. This is a national scandal.

And this is what happens with one's reputation when he is called a grifter on the inter webs.

#48 yachtyakka

yachtyakka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

it's a place where like minded yachties can tell stories and share opinions. where peole take the piss and others over react - because they can.

i love the world wide network of spying and you saw it here first stuff.

#49 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

if Dan Myers sort of died would the case go away?

I've heard he has a bad heart

#50 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

This is probably closest to what I feel, although I would rather it survive than fail. 

The web police at the firm recently caught up to the forums and blocked them in the firewall.  It could have been SA itself, but not likely since the FP still gets through.  So I suspect that it was the entire forum universe from the provider rahter than SA itself.  That being said, I definitely find myself missing the chance to check out the forums a couple of times a day.

#51 hip2b@c

hip2b@c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

the whole point of  lateral thinkers like Sailing Anarchy is they make shit! happen - and then there are the douche bags. Thanks guys for what you do, keeping our beloved sport interesting so even the douche bags are interested in being educated to the real world of sailing.

#52 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

If SA was ALL bad we would be either cheering DM on or not even on this site.

What pisses a lot of us off is how the Clean_And_Ed show has damaged a creation that we mainly really like!

Like most things I am torn.

On the one hand Scot has been kind to me, posting a couple of my submissions on the FP, also trading a couple of pm's. Clean helped me score a ride on the VOR VIP boat in Maimi last year, so that was way cool. I also ended-up on the RC44 VIP boat too through TE and SA, with a BIG help from Rennmaus.

I have met and become friends with people I have connected with through SA.. My brother sails with someone from SA and got to tour the BMWO compound when in SD due to SA (thanks DaWoody). It is a weird thing this internet forum thing.

So on one side I appreciate all that SA has been for me, on the other I cannot do much for the jam they have found themselves in with DM.

#53 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Nice pictures.  A bit full of themselves.  They don't appreciate my work so much (few do).

Must be humbling to have to ask people for money.

I suspect a little less sanctimony and indulgence might have gone a long way, but for some people Anarchy just means acting like they're 13 and saying FU when imagination runs dry.

Good luck SA.  I think I'll pass on the donation.   :D

Koukel

#54 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

I've been in it here at SA for a very very long time, almost since the beginning, when I bought my boat in 2000.  Never really understood or enjoyed the sht slinging on these forum pages, and so did my best to stay above or out of the fray and tried to take the higher road more often than not.  Work and other activities limit my time with SA over the last several years, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it any more or any less.  Scot and Clean have been fine, and I really have no opinion either way with them.  Just take what works best for you and leave the rest.  Good, bad, or indifferent, I do know they work very hard at what they do, especially providing this platform for us.  Keep it up!

#55 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

This is probably closest to what I feel, although I would rather it survive than fail. 

The web police at the firm recently caught up to the forums and blocked them in the firewall.  It could have been SA itself, but not likely since the FP still gets through.  So I suspect that it was the entire forum universe from the provider rahter than SA itself.  That being said, I definitely find myself missing the chance to check out the forums a couple of times a day.

Should my employer ever want to shitcan me, I would expect them to call a meeting and without saying a word, slide a couple pages across the table with printouts of something I posted here.  Must stop coming here while at work, but when you have an 8 hour weekend or 2nd shift and few customers, oh well.....

#56 James McMullen

James McMullen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:masturbation, gluttony, random acts of violence, karaoke

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Honestly, I really only come here because they won't let you swear on the Wooden Boat Forum.

#57 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, Mainsheet, Spike lives here too. I am not going to let whiny little cunts like BIAM destroy this place. There are far too many haters out there. They may live in a world of hate and self loathing but I don't.

I'll tell you a story:

Many years ago My first son had just been born and my wife was kept in the hospital while I was given the baby to take home. "Who? Me? A baby?" I took Max home and my sailing buddies all pitched in and helped me. We did not know shit about babies but we made it work and we worked in teams. We were really very good. We were a skilled crew and disciplined. Spin peel in 25 knots, baby poopy diaper? We could do it.

So there I was with a 2 week old baby and no mother, she was still in the hospital. I thought I had better get this kid to church so that I knew I had laid the basic ground works for a decent person. I had no clue.

I was not a church guy. I was not a Christian. So, off I went to church, a Lutheran Church, the closest curch to my house. I filled out the little form in the pew.

When those old Lutheran ladies saw me with a new born baby they came unglued. They were all over me. If I had been attracted to 5o year oold women I could have scored big time.

So, what I think I am saying here is that SA is not perfect. Parts of it drives me crazy. I do not like Scot's " I'm short so you can't punch me" attitude. I have dealt with whiny little short shits my entire life. They always have their mother's skirt to hide behind. " He's little. Don't hurt him." Unfortunately Scot's Mom's skirt are not qite big enough to cover this problem.

But, we can extract what parts of SA work for us as individuals. We don't have to like every painting in the museum.

But I do have to hand it to Scot, he did build the gallery and for that I am grateful.

Problems crop up, in a family. We can get around this problem and preserve the family.

^^^This.

CA has been a very good home to me for a good long time - and much more so lately. I'm not a big fan of the dudes that run this place, but I'm a very big fan of the sailors that hang out here.

#58 finding41

finding41

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

any decent web coder can transfer this forum's content to another location (community based forum?) deleting whatever is useless...

Sock pupets!

I love this site for all the fukin shit it and we can get into. That and I've learnt more here about things I didn't know I wanted to know or needed to know about. Thats priceless!

Thank you all! Yes you too.

#59 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

SA is the shit.

I start every morning by checking the FP, Classifieds or Forums and whether its the dead of winter or right before a regatta, it always puts an ear to ear grin on my face. News, Pictures, Comedy, and shit-talking all within a glance - no place else.

Keep kicking ass and making sailors happy.  Donation - MADE!

Good luck with that rich cunt..

#60 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Sock pupets!

I love this site for all the fukin shit it and we can get into. That and I've learnt more here about things I didn't know I wanted to know or needed to know about. Thats priceless!

Thank you all! Yes you too.

Yes if not for SA, I would never have known the meaning of the word "landt"...

#61 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

SA is the shit.

I start every morning by checking the FP, Classifieds or Forums and whether its the dead of winter or right before a regatta, it always puts an ear to ear grin on my face. News, Pictures, Comedy, and shit-talking all within a glance - no place else.

Keep kicking ass and making sailors happy.  Donation - MADE!

Good luck with that rich cunt..

You haven't been here very long, have you?

#62 BJSailor

BJSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've been a member of SA since Dec 2003.  If they still posted member numbers, you'd see that I'm #5.  So, I've been here from the start.  One thing I know is that Sailing Anarchy is about the community - in spite of Scott Tempesta and Alan Block.

Early on, I learned that Scot Tempesta was a complete and total asshole who was only interested in himself.  He's still that way.  I could only stand by and watch while Scooter screwed over a good friend of mine as well as a host club at the J/24 Nationals.  It was shameful behavior and I regretted having any association with Sailing Anarchy because of Tempesta.  This leopard has not changed his spots over the years.  Milking the sponsors to line his pockets, doing everything possible to alienate himself and the SA community from the important people in our sport, and never taking responsibility for his actions.  No wonder why his employment and marital histories are so poor.

Block / Clean has proven that he's cut from the same cloth.  It's a shame that his efforts have put this community is such a bad light.  He's also lined his pockets with sponsor money that could / should have been directed to many better causes (events, youth, growing the sport, etc.).  He's proven that he is no journalist, or reporter, and has failed in life miserably in his legal career (how a lawyer can "fail" is beyond me).

Sailing Anarchy has continued to thrive in spite of Scooter / Ed / Tempesta and Block / Clean.  It's been the good people who have shared their stories, experience, lives that have kept us not only coming back, but sharing and accepting.  I knew long ago that sailors were some of the best people in the world and the sailing community will continue to be that for many of us.  Temptesta an Block will eventually answer and pay for their lack of character and the damage they've done others.  But the community of sailors here will always find a place to congregate and meet - whether it's the bar or another incarnation of a sailing community website like this used to be.

In the end, it's very unfortunate that a couple of fundamentally bad folks have spoiled what was originally a great idea.  I look forward to the day that this same group can come together again in an environment / forum that capitalizes on the good things the people here have to offer.

#63 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Not dead yet:

#64 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

As for me, also a member since the early days, it's all about the forums.  The FP continues to report yesterday's news, but not much of it, and not nearly as well as others do.  But the 'edgy' style continues to be un-amusing, and evidently self-destructive.

However I've really enjoyed the forums.  Several highlights:

1. User discussion and resources in the Ernesto/Ellison battle over the last AC was a staggering achievement.  Not paralleled anywhere else.  Placement of one plastic garden chair let to analysis that gave the world the essential dimensions of the Alinghi cat months before the world knew.  Priceless.

2. Larry's classic pictures.  Helped us to remember some of our history.

3. Helping people to resolve problems in Gear and Fixit Anarchy.  What's years of experience worth if it can't be used to help others?

4. Friends, old ones re-connected, and new ones made.

5. Cruising Anarchy - rather like 3 above.

6. Avoiding/ignoring the inevitable imbeciles, as one does in wider life.

7. And who can forget HWSNBN, 5th mode, the 1000 days cheese scow, TinCan, DDWFTTW, and more recently the plywood floating (?) blockhouse on SF Bay.

It would be sad to see it all go away - I hope the internet archive has a snapshot.  But we're (mostly) all grown-ups, and can find a new home when this one goes.  Le roi est mort, vive le roi!

#65 crusingsailor

crusingsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:The Maine coast, Cape Cod and the Islands, Bermuda 1-2, the Florida Keys, Bahamas. Wishful thinking: Mini 650, AZAB, Jester Challenge, Round Ireland.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

+1

#66 crusingsailor

crusingsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:The Maine coast, Cape Cod and the Islands, Bermuda 1-2, the Florida Keys, Bahamas. Wishful thinking: Mini 650, AZAB, Jester Challenge, Round Ireland.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

(snip - the nice story)

from the sounds of it you are suffering from self-_something_and a bit of a hater

but worse than that you are selfish - by injecting your low standards for language in a public forum - you are spoiling what would be a good thing in order to satisfy your need to attract attention to yourself

you are not really ten feet tall

#67 Que

Que

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:The great outdoors.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

I've been here for ages...and am an uberlurker.  My id is from '04 and I remember the old forums and visit constantly, but I rarely post.  SA keeps my mind in sailing -- I avoid PA like the plague, but SA and ORA are daily reads for me.  In the last AC, that forum was a daily read as well, but this time around I find the overall event less interesting.  Not the boats/technology and the skill of the crew, but the politics have destroyed my interest level.  I used to look at the front page every day, but any more I'll check on it every week or so...as a pulse of significant events taking place around the world. 

GA is something like a "general knowledge consultant" and Fridays used to be something to look forward to.  The thing is, someone on this forum can answer absolutely any question....about anything.  One or two of those answers will actually  be correct!  A community providing this type of resource is a good thing.  I treat SA much like a few other lists I've been subscribed to for years...it's simply a knowledge base.  Every once in a while something comes up that makes me think....hey....someone on SA was just talking about that and posted a bunch of relevant info....

I've kicked in a couple of times for SAYC "membership" to throw a few dollars into the pot (although I mostly wanted the burgee!) and I've kicked in when there's been a call to the sailing community to help someone in need.  I think the shitstorm taking place now is too personal -- there is nothing I can contribute which will alter the course of the egos involved. 

#68 Kū-ka-ili-moku

Kū-ka-ili-moku

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

SA taught us that Friday is the mostest specialist day of the week, a Sacred Day. Though as the spirit has waned, that is less true than it used to be.  

There are many who have passed, in one sense or the other, and they are missed.

There are many who are on Ignore, and they are not missed, for they are the ones that refuse to leave.

There are some that were Fucked Over, with vague Promises that were never met. 

There were those that were flicked, usually unrighteously. 

There are those who continue to wallow in a bizarre cocktail of bitterness and conceit. 

But for the most part, there are good shipmates whose company is treasured.

#69 3dc

3dc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Innovation

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

What's SA mean to you?

http://youtu.be/11tViUnX1_Q?t=4m7s

NOTHING!.....EVERYTHING!

#70 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,878 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

What does SA mean to me?  Wow...... much of it has already been said.

I would say, in a nutshell, SA is in large part responsible for me being the sailor I am today.  Let me explain......

I was one of the very first members back on the old forum in 2000.  I also got the email saying check out the shitfights going on over on this new site.  At the time I was hanging out on Sailing Scuttlebutt and a bit on the USSailing site.  Both were boring and very stiff. 

I had literally JUST gotten into sailing and racing.  I recall the usual suspects back then..... MOMP of course, BJ Porter, Ned, BJSailor, and many others who still hang out in one form or another.  As BJP said, I asked a lot of questions.  I was probably annoying about it, but someone was always usually willing to answer.  I devoured every book I could on the subject of racing.  But sometimes just having a discussion about the topic allows you to learn more than you ever could by reading alone.

I've also made some great friends on here, both in person and virtually.  And I've been able to sail all over the US as a result of my connections on SA.  I've gotten rides in KWRW, ARWx2, LBRWx2, and Hawaii as well as just getting to go sail and have a beer with some great folks I would never have met otherwise.  I've met elle in person a few times and we've developed this love/hate relationship that I will treasure to my grave.  I met the Ed and went sailing on his new FT10 with him and his family (really nice people btw) and Scot was definitely not the prick in real life as he is in his on-line persona.  Of course I would hope that would apply to me as well.  :D

But mostly, what SA did was keep me hungry to race and that hunger really allowed me to improve much more rapidly than if I had been left to my own devices.  And those SA contacts that got me rides at the last minute in places where my work took me allowed me to feed my addiction during the periods of my life when I didn't live somewhere near the water.  Which is to say, 8 of the last 10 years. 

NoStrings is dead on when he says that SA is not Scot or Clean - but it is us.  If it died - I would probably shed a tear but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I would definitely be a fuckload more productive at work, that's for sure.  I look forward to the camaraderie and the banter in PA & GA and I love the amazing resource of knowledge in the rest.  I'm going to actively campaign a sportboat for the first time starting this year and I can honestly say I wouldn't have been interested in the genre had it not been for watching Sport boats evolve and gain a following and enthusiasm on SA.  We'll see how that goes. 

BTW..... DM you fat fuck.  Go fuck yourself and the twinkie you rode in on.  See the chilling effect this has already on free speech?  I was going to post that then thought better of it.....  ;)

#71 Finnius

Finnius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

I loved the 1000 days odessy with Reid the Wack-o .  Most hilarious.

#72 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

We had the second annual Spike Sail In get together this weekend at the Perry beach shack. It was all organized by CA posters. We have become fast friends. We had a very good time. Lots of everything. Too much rum.

Attached Files

#73 Yeah Buoy

Yeah Buoy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I hope to achieve member status before the site goes down.  A girl has to dream......

#74 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

CA is awsome :D
It is not exactly the same thing as the FP ;)

#75 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,917 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

I would say, in a nutshell, SA is in large part responsible for me being the sailor I am today.  Let me explain......

I was one of the very first members back on the old forum in 2000.  I also got the email saying check out the shitfights going on over on this new site.  At the time I was hanging out on Sailing Scuttlebutt and a bit on the USSailing site.  Both were boring and very stiff. 

I had literally JUST gotten into sailing and racing.  I recall the usual suspects back then..... MOMP of course, BJ Porter, Ned, BJSailor, and many others who still hang out in one form or another.  As BJP said, I asked a lot of questions.  I was probably annoying about it, but someone was always usually willing to answer.  I devoured every book I could on the subject of racing.  But sometimes just having a discussion about the topic allows you to learn more than you ever could by reading alone.

I've also made some great friends on here, both in person and virtually.  And I've been able to sail all over the US as a result of my connections on SA.  I've gotten rides in KWRW, ARWx2, LBRWx2, and Hawaii as well as just getting to go sail and have a beer with some great folks I would never have met otherwise.  I've met elle in person a few times and we've developed this love/hate relationship that I will treasure to my grave.  I met the Ed and went sailing on his new FT10 with him and his family (really nice people btw) and Scot was definitely not the prick in real life as he is in his on-line persona.  Of course I would hope that would apply to me as well.  :D

But mostly, what SA did was keep me hungry to race and that hunger really allowed me to improve much more rapidly than if I had been left to my own devices.  And those SA contacts that got me rides at the last minute in places where my work took me allowed me to feed my addiction during the periods of my life when I didn't live somewhere near the water.  Which is to say, 8 of the last 10 years. 

NoStrings is dead on when he says that SA is not Scot or Clean - but it is us.  If it died - I would probably shed a tear but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I would definitely be a fuckload more productive at work, that's for sure.  I look forward to the camaraderie and the banter in PA & GA and I love the amazing resource of knowledge in the rest.  I'm going to actively campaign a sportboat for the first time starting this year and I can honestly say I wouldn't have been interested in the genre had it not been for watching Sport boats evolve and gain a following and enthusiasm on SA.  We'll see how that goes. 

BTW..... DM you fat fuck.  Go fuck yourself and the twinkie you rode in on.  See the chilling effect this has already on free speech?  I was going to post that then thought better of it.....  ;)

So when does everyone with double or single digit member ID's meet up for the group hug?

#76 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Guess gotta jump in with props.

First of course, Peeker and I met through SA, and now are married and pretty darn happy together.  

But before I was TOG, I was an early adopter.  Back in 2000 when I did Pac Cup I met Senior Chief and got to know him and his pals  while he was still active duty in Hawaii, and set us up with his network for some fun.  Still have the trophy he "awarded" us. 

On an east coast trip had the opportunity to go for a sail with BJ Porter on his monster HR as well as meet his lovely wife.

Hooked up with the crazy Charlie Cobra and had the boat made very pretty.

Learned early on the stop following threads when they get to the pissing match stage.

But there is some other good stuff here

TOG

#77 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Kū has spoken!

SA taught us that Friday is the mostest specialist day of the week, a Sacred Day. Though as the spirit has waned, that is less true than it used to be.  

There are many who have passed, in one sense or the other, and they are missed.

There are many who are on Ignore, and they are not missed, for they are the ones that refuse to leave.

There are some that were Fucked Over, with vague Promises that were never met. 

There were those that were flicked, usually unrighteously. 

There are those who continue to wallow in a bizarre cocktail of bitterness and conceit. 

But for the most part, there are good shipmates whose company is treasured.

#78 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

I hope to achieve member status before the site goes down.  A girl has to dream......

I know what will help your cause...

Getemout!!

#79 HHudson

HHudson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

One of the best things about this site can be found over on the Ted Hood thread. 

#80 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

I have met A LOT of great people through this website over the years. I've also met some shit ones. Kind of like sailing in general. Scot has been nothing but nice to me always, and we have shared many convos over the years, though we have never met. Some people's mileage varies, which happens. Clean I have been introduced to at least a half-dozen times and even helped drive him around on my own boat (taking photos/video for a regatta) and he never remembers who I am, which tells me all I need to know, even if I liked his online persona, which I don't. I was very sad when Paul Bishop left because he was to one who started this up with Scot in the very earliest days, and if that hadn't gone south, Scot probably wouldn't be in the situation he is now. There are a whole lot of people here I would really like to meet in person, and almost as many I would really NOT like to meet.

So yeah. I love all the people bitching here about what an asshole Scot is, in the nice little forum he (and Paul) had the idea to build and Scot kept going (with help) over the years. You would probably love Dan Meyer's web site! And for all those mostly same people who think this place would be exactly the same except more better with a different sign on the front door, well, newsflash, the interwebs made that possible long ago, but it hasn't happened anywhere else, has it? That is precisely because this place is a wide-open freakshow, reflecting the personality of both a huge segment of the sailing community, but also moderators that let it operate that way. So if it hasn't happened already (another wide open, engaging sailing forum), it certainly won't happen anywhere else if SA is ever gone. Dan Meyers and his lawsuit will have made sure of that.

Scot (and Paul) made this place specifically so people could say the kind of free-wheeling stuff that has created the issue at hand (and Paul left because it was even more acidic than he was wanting to be a part of). If this place gets sued into silence, nobody else will have the balls to replace it, guaranteed, so resign yourself to just more safe, corporate, non-offensive, websites and forums. Hopefully they would be better than Sailing World's, Holy shit was that worthless.

#81 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

Scot (and Paul) made this place specifically so people could say the kind of free-wheeling stuff that has created the issue at hand (and Paul left because it was even more acidic than he was wanting to be a part of). If this place gets sued into silence, nobody else will have the balls to replace it, guaranteed, so resign yourself to just more safe, corporate, non-offensive, websites and forums. Hopefully they would be better than Sailing World's, Holy shit was that worthless.

http://forums.sailin...06286&p=2785587

#82 Mr. Andersen

Mr. Andersen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'll probably be banned but what the hell.

NoStrings is dead on when he says that SA is not Scot or Clean - ------------ it is us. 

Spot on mate. Like most liberals who start something out of disgust, it becomes something they want to control at all costs to the point of self destruction. Just look at Air America and it's demise.

The major flaw in all humans is the need to Control or be at the top of the food chain. It is our single most forgotten flaw.

Some must control or hold the strings.

You can only hope that the person in charge has some grounding with a large family upbringing that understands that the are boundaries even for those in charge.

Scot (and Paul) made this place specifically so people could say the kind of free-wheeling stuff that has created the issue at hand (and Paul left because it was even more acidic than he was wanting to be a part of).

Wrong, Paul told me personally why he left. The Place was not acidic, it was Scot.

Scot used Paul's SA email address to send a disparaging message so it would look like it did not come from Scot......Go Figure

#83 elle

elle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

;)  i love/hate you too, man!  

i really have met some really great people through SA, a handful of cunts, too...the good far outweighs the bad and so i keep reading the forums.  

#84 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

One of the best things about this site can be found over on the Ted Hood thread. 

I haven't checked the front page yet this morning, but have they posted yet about this?  Noticed yesterday that Scuttlebutt had not either?  Yet, when a poor bloke that sails in my area drowns at Block Island, it is immediately front page news and incredibly insensitive at that.....

#85 UNC Fan

UNC Fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I've always used the Sailing Anarchy forums as a resource to learn about sailing, racing, sailing technology, etc. from some of the smartest, best informed sailors in the world. Unfortunately, one must invest a significant amount of time slogging through the mud in the forums to actually get to the facts. When I have the time, I will continue the slog as I haven't found a better alternative.

#86 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

NoStrings is dead on when he says that SA is not Scot or Clean - ------------ it is us. 

Spot on mate. Like most liberals who start something out of disgust, it becomes something they want to control at all costs to the point of self destruction. Just look at Air America and it's demise.

The major flaw in all humans is the need to Control or be at the top of the food chain. It is our single most forgotten flaw.

You can only hope that the person in charge has some grounding with a large family upbringing that understands that the are boundaries even for those in charge.

>

Scot (and Paul) made this place specifically so people could say the kind of free-wheeling stuff that has created the issue at hand (and Paul left because it was even more acidic than he was wanting to be a part of).

Wrong, Paul told me personally why he left. The Place was not acidic, it was Scot.

Scot used Paul's SA email address to send a disparaging message so it would look like it did not come from Scot......Go Figure

Seriously? Is this true?

#87 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

The good folks here on SA are the reason we are still in business at all.......

#88 Fleet3

Fleet3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

SA is normally very good and some irreverence is good, but the recent rants and lack of civility is a reflection of the modern media - not just telling us the facts to make our own decisions but telling us what to think and slamming people with just one side of the issue - reference the Fresno Yacht Club rants. Before I send SA a check, I would like to see them be more civil in their sailing coverage.

#89 Problem Child

Problem Child

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

(snip - the nice story)

from the sounds of it you are suffering from self-_something_and a bit of a hater

but worse than that you are selfish - by injecting your low standards for language in a public forum - you are spoiling what would be a good thing in order to satisfy your need to attract attention to yourself

you are not really ten feet tall

+1

#90 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

I met a lot of the guys a sail regularly with now through SA...the issue is the signal to noise ratio.  It used to be that there was content that provoked (and this is editorial and on the boards) but it at least had some sort of point, now it just seems to be provocation to stroke egos and promote some sort of latent narcissism.

I lurked for over a year before first posting and I learned a ton.  In the past year, I think the only things I've learned are troll avoidance techniques.

I'll still tune in but for me it's time to find a new place to talk sailing.

#91 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

SA is normally very good and some irreverence is good, but the recent rants and lack of civility is a reflection of the modern media - not just telling us the facts to make our own decisions but telling us what to think and slamming people with just one side of the issue - reference the Fresno Yacht Club rants. Before I send SA a check, I would like to see them be more civil in their sailing coverage.

Your money would be better spent giving it to the Nigerian email guys.

#92 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

No No,  the Nigerians send us money.   I have been offered 10%  of Obama's  secret cash  and 20% of  SA  and  all of Dan Meyer's  chocolate bars,   if  I just send them my personal information.    This is why I like SA.    It is a community of Nigerians.   Never mind hyperbole.   Tell us who you are so we can make muffins together.   So sweet.

#93 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

No No,  the Nigerians send us money.   I have been offered 10%  of Obama's  secret cash  and 20% of  SA  and  all of Dan Meyer's  chocolate bars,   if  I just send them my personal information.    This is why I like SA.    It is a community of Nigerians.   Never mind hyperbole.   Tell us who you are so we can make muffins together.   So sweet.

haven't you got a pissing match to finish off somewhere else?

#94 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

haven't you got a pissing match to finish off somewhere else?

Everyone's too hung over to argue.....

#95 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Everyone should be well recovered by now.

As to the original topic.....

The SA family can be dysfunctional at times. The bottom line. Where else are you gonna go, to get as strong a pulse from such a wide spectrum of the sailing community.

#96 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

>

By "The Place", I meant how Scot wanted to run things and how he was dealing with people in the industry. The detail about using Paul's email address I hadn't heard, even though I had lots of correspondence with Paul, always liked him a lot and he is the reason I got to SA in the first place after we got fed up with Sailing World's bullshit forum.

Without saying that isn't true, I would guess that there are probably details in those details. Certainly you would admit that Scot isn't shy about saying things directly to people, so "fear of retribution" is not really convincing. And Paul at the time made successful efforts to distance himself from Scot. I don't think anyone will ever know for sure what happened except the two of them.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users