• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

FP says Gutek's tracker isn't working, but this seems to work fine:

http://energa.navsim.pl/index.php

And this is the Safran link from FP:

http://tracking-safran.addviso.org/fr/

It would be nice if they had English versions, but I guess it isn't hard to figure out what the Polish and French words are.  Too bad they didn't sort out a single tracker to show both of them against each other and the record pace as well, but I guess they're each doing their own campaign and didn't necessarily intend to start their attempts so closely together.

#3 fucket

fucket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Racing, coding

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

What does Safran's keel look like nowadays? She had that fancy titanium job that fell off at the start of the Vendee, right?

#4 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

I'm suddenly addicted to watching these guys' trackers, but I'm confused by a couple things...  can anyone clarify?

- FP says Gutek started "just a few seconds behind Mark Guillemot", but the trackers suggest it's more like 7 hours behind.  Is FP wrong, or is this what FP meant when they said Gutek's tracker doesn't work well?

- Both trackers show a ghost of a second boat.  I think Safran's ghost is Alex Thomson's record, but what's the ghost on Gutek's tracker?  Normally I'd think it's also Thomson, but it doesn't seem to be following the same track as the ghost in Safran's tracker.

My best guess is that Gutek's tracker is lagging reality by 7 hours, and that the ghost in Gutek's tracker is Safran???  The present location and prior track for the ghost in Gutek's tracker looks about right for that explanation.  But Gutek IS updating every couple hours, so it's not like it's just frozen.

#5 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Actually, it looks like FP had it right.  Something is screwy with Gutek's tracker.  His position hasn't been updated in hours now, and his elapsed time is now being shown as minutes different from Safran rather than hours.

#6 Jedrek

Jedrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:racing

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yes,Gutek tracking show white-red boat /Energa/ and black /Safran/

#7 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Safran sailing very close to the orthodromic route, less than 20 miles off the coast of Nova Scotia, at 18 to 20 knots boat speed.

With 100 mile lead on Hugo Boss!!!

WOW!!!

#8 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Looks like both trackers are working correctly now.  Safran (Guillemot) updates continuously and shows the record holder for comparison.  Energa (Gutek) updates every 15 minutes and shows Safran but not the record.  BUT, it looks like the Safran position in Gutek's tracker lags a bit.  I'm guessing maybe the Safran position in Gutek's tracker is updated manually, and if so then is only as up to date as the most recent manual entry.  As far as I can tell, the guys might be close enough at times to actually see each other.

Interestingly, average VMG thus far is high enough to actually break Mari Cha IV's overall Monohull record.  I doubt the conditions will allow them to maintain that the rest of the way, but this story would suddenly have broader interest if they keep the pace for a couple more days.  

Mari Cha IV:  6 days, 17 hrs, 52 min, 39 sec.  Average VMG 18.05 kts.

#9 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Marc Guillemot just posted a video of a jibe on his tracker; you can tell it is a stressful moment in 30 to 32 knots of wind...

#10 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:38 AM

Good stuff.  Looks like the breeze has eased enough that Mari Cha's record is out of the picture, but it's still a match race for the singlehanded monohull record.  Thomson is gaining now, but he slowed at the end, so they should be able to pull away again toward the end if the breeze holds.

Latest North Atlantic Wx package sets up an interesting finish.  Strong breeze filling in to the North, but lighter breeze between them and it, and it'll stay North of the finish.  So they'll have to decide whether to work up to it and then work back down, versus doing the best they can with the still-decent-but-not-as-good breeze south of rhumb.

There's a chance it could crap out at the end, leaving them to limp in.  That would suck.

#11 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

Latest forecasts suggest they'll have light wind for the last 100 NM or so.  Might turn into a big bummer.

#12 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Alex Thompson had to do a couple of painful gybes to go north, actually sailing west-ward, and they are already ahead.

I think that the advantage will increase before beginning to melt away with the lighter wind, so I'm still optimist. 

#13 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

Forecasts are looking worse and worse for the last 200 NM or so.  Might be doing the last 100 NM in 3 kts of breeze.

#14 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

They gybed to go north, advantage halved :(

#15 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

It does not look good...

That high pressure system is going to park on the entrance of the English Channel and just sit there for the next 2 days...

It might be faster to sail around Great Britain, and cut the finish line coming from the East...  :blink:

Just kidding...

#16 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

196 miles ahead and 180 to go, Safran still at 10 knots & a bit ahead of Energa.

Looks like they will do it.

#17 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

I was never entirely clear how far apart they started. Could someone please clarify?

#18 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

They won't average 10 kts for the remainder.  It's going to continue to diminish.  They'll probably break the record, but they'll be into the 8th day by the time they get there.

#19 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

I was never entirely clear how far apart they started. Could someone please clarify?

I don't think it'll matter.   Safran is looking likely to beat Energa by hours unless something strange happens.  Safran has a 50+ NM lead.

#20 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Advance 222, 133 to go, 8 knots ... if nothing strange happen, they will break the record.

It will be close to 8 days for Safran.

#21 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

The last 50 NM is going to be painful.  Reminds me of last year's Bermuda Race.  I was on one of the slower-rated boats.  Fast race for everyone into Tuesday morning, by which point most of the fleet had finished.  Wind died when we were within sight of Bermuda.  Took 12 hours to do the last 12 NM.  6 hours to do the last 2 NM, within sight of the finish.  Would have corrected out ok if the breeze had held on for a little while longer, but instead finished close to DFL.  After going so fast for several days, it's brutal to park it when the end is in sight.

#22 Jedrek

Jedrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

Congratulation Marc super race/~3.034 Nm/,average speed 15,31 kts.

#23 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Safran: 8:5:20:20

#24 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Energa is doing 2 knots at 73 miles from the finish.

Must be terrible :-(

#25 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

At least he knew several hours ago that Safran was going to take the record.  Imagine if Safran wasn't out there, and he was 70 NM from the finish still ahead of Thomson, but hopeless.  For now, hopefully he can content himself with completing a training run / shakedown for Vendee.

#26 Jedrek

Jedrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

O'k  Energa with Gutek  finishing 1 hr and 18 minuts early like Alex's record /speed average 14.17kts./good job too. 

#27 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Even after the painfully slow last hours ... Well done !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users