• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#1 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,925 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

The ship has sailed in these forums. Sorting the 50,000 and purging those whose identity is not clear would be an endless task.
Even folks like me whose identity is allegedly simple to trace are not always who we claim to be.

The clever personalized posting names can remain. Certainly they are part of the charm of the place.

I think this forum would be best served by a rule that no posts can be made after a certain date except by those who have registered under a new system where each writer is clearly identified on the profile page.

For those of us who would like to keep our current accounts, I am certain that could be accomplished even if it takes a small administrative fee to shuffle things around on the system.

If the lawsuit kills this site, I hope whoever starts a replacement requires personal accountability for each post.

Summary??
Kidding around and even writing mean stuff can be fun, entertaining, and even sometimes productive
But the anonymity invites indecent liars to fearlessly publish their drivel.

The ability to anonymously sling shit has to be cut off!!

#2 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Having everybody give up their name and address isn't exactly anarchy is it??

#3 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

It's not anarchy but it does require some accountability and I like the idea. Might get rid of a weasel or two.

#4 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

anything in particular buggin ya Gouv?

#5 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Dunno. I'm a bit conflicted.

I'm a bit wary on some forums about making my identity too obvious, this isn't one of them admittedly. There's a forum where I work which has just started to require people to sign up identifiably, and because there's something of a reputation for a bullying culture in some parts of the org posting numbers have collapsed.

On the other hand the world would probably be a better place without much of the nonsense and worse that gets posted here by people secure in the knowledge that they won't collect the fistful of knuckles they'd probably get if they said it to someone face to face. I don't have an easy answer.

#6 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Jfc
When you are in the shower in the locker room does it really mater what anyones name is.

#7 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

If I'm trying to make a point where of my real name means something or if I think someone else is hiding behind anonymity unfairly, I just sign my name in my post. Real names carry weight.

Jesse Deupree

#8 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Serriously?  Gov, if you require that you are going to be talking to yourself.  Do you really want to trust these guys either with Real data or god for bid your personal info??  I understand that some of us attract socks with every post, but that seems to be some of the charm of this place to most of the lurkers and lite posters around here.  Been here since the big splash and I  Like the place, but there is really no way I would give up pers info beyond a junk email address and maybe a first name.  Heck I have enough trouble giving that stuff to amazon and the like....

#9 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Single - handed sailing, sailing with my kids, open water swimming

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

I thought I've read that some members have been stalked on more than one occasion by some crazies?

#10 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Most of us did this voluntarily on the PD forum.  IMO it cleaned things up and raised the quality of the content - you are more careful what you post when everyone knows who you are (stating the obvious).  It's just names or real nicknames - no other personal data unless you offer it.

My observation is that PD currently runs about 60% of the "Users Online" as here (300 vs. 500), but has a small fraction of the post count.  That seems to be the trade off - lots more to read here but of lower quality/relevance.  Take out GA, PA and these threads that have very little to do with sailing and I suspect the post counts would be proportional.

#11 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

I am...the batman

#12 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,925 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

This isn't aimed at anybody in particular
Well actually it couldn't be.....

It isn't aimed at any set of posts in any particular thread.
I get not wanting to reveal yourself to the world.

Do shooting from the hip with brainstorming style new rules and methods, here is my current idea.

£££££££'nmlkjk

I would also trust a moderator to have the identities and a rule where anyone who is attacked in a post has the RIGHT to ask and be told the identity of the person who posted the defamation.

No revealing identities to spammers or even to somebody who just wants to know who wrote "that wonderfully clever post."
The moderator would have to agree it is an attack or the moderator would decline to reveal the posters identity.

First step under today's rules??

Any post by an anonymous poster would be deleted if ANYONE requested it be deleted.

The post would remain if the writer agreed to "sign the post."

#13 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Gouv:

Who are you?

I'm Bob.

#14 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

That f'ng El Mariachi guy needs to be outed first....

#15 snakepliskin

snakepliskin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Why? 

No.

Its about ideas, I really dont care who anyone is. If you dont like a poster ignore him/her. Simple. 

#16 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Too many really strange wierdos here and on the net in general to post real identities on a public forum. Too easy for someone with a grudge or criminal intent to stalk or otherwise harrase you in real life.

As is common many folks here know who I am and if i find the need to PM someone I'll sign my real name, otherwise no, not a real practical idea.

#17 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Most of us aren't hiding. I'll happily PM my real name and where I live to anyone.

However, I live in the real world. I don't need an employer typing my name into google and having it lead to a thread full of tits and Bull Gaytor posts.

#18 Wreck™

Wreck™

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Don't worry Gouv, the NSA has it all sorted.

You're welcome

Eddie Snowden

#19 Wreck™

Wreck™

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

That f'ng El Mariachi guy needs to be ousted first....

Spelling Rico, spelling.

Love

Eddie

#20 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

A bunch of rules will kill it Gouv.

#21 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,004 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

I am Spartacus

#22 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

I am Spartacus

I'm Batman.

#23 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

No! I'm Spartacus!

#24 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Let me guess, if you know who the trolls are, you can shame them into STFU?

Mr. Blubber B. Blubbertein

#25 WhoaTed

WhoaTed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Italian cars
    Beer
    A bunch of other stuff

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch.

#26 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Gouv:
Who are you?
I'm Bob.

it looks like you are one of the few that use their real name. Here is somebody that wants others to use their real name but so far hasn't given his. Is one afraid that something might be said or written that just may get somebody pissed off enough to deck the guy at his house or on the water? But then again it's always kinda fun to get in a good pissing match.. And could we if the opponate knew who you are.

#27 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

all for it myself

#28 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'm just a polite asshole. 

#29 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm easy enough to find and if someone can't figure it out, I'm not sure I'd want that person to know.

#30 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

I had one SA weirdo threaten to come to my house "when you least expect it". He didn't show up. I was kind of dissapointed. I had my cricket bat all oiled up with fresh linseed oil and stashed by the front door. I was all ready to send that guy for a sixer. I don't get stalked. But it is so quiet here on the beach a bit of stalking might be fun. In short, posting under my real name has never presented a problem for me.

#31 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Gouv:

Who are you?

I'm Bob.

Gouv isn't really hiding who he is. His profile has his website listed:

http://schrothfiberglass.com/

Apparently he is a computer savvy retriever. Woof.

#32 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

I had one SA weirdo threaten to come to my house "when you least expect it". He didn't show up. I was kind of dissapointed. I had my cricket bat all oiled up with fresh linseed oil and stashed by the front door. I was all ready to send that guy for a sixer. I don't get stalked. But it is so quiet here on the beach a bit of stalking might be fun. In short, posting under my real name has never presented a problem for me.

Just wait 'til you become famous one day----then the creepy-crawlies & the papparazzi will be camping out in your tree.....

#33 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think that on request from a Mod real names should be supplied otherwise you can get kicked. Be it via facebook or googleplus etc. I don't have a problem with it. 

Andrew Miles, 

#34 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

There are a lot of good reasons to not use your personal information, and a lot of good reasons to use it.

I am not a sock-puppet, and I haven't viciously attacked anyone on this site while hiding behind the anonymity of my username, and I would think most anonymous users are in the same boat.  And like most anonymous users, those who know me in real life, probably know who I am on this site.

What this all comes down to is a handful of a-holes, ruining it for everyone.

Like everything else in life, you are deciding to "punish the many" instead of going after the few.

As has been mentioned before, most sites that require real information, readily available to any user, has generally a pretty low post count.  It not only prevents people from posting stupid stuff, but limits which questions users are willing to ask about as people don't want to appear stupid or unknowledgeable, or experiences of personal nature (ie people that are sick, going through divorce, etc.).

Requiring people to use real names would definitely change these forums, but I am not sure it is going to be for the best.

#35 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,004 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Just wait 'til you become famous one day----then the creepy-crawlies & the papparazzi will be camping out in your tree.....

Field trip to Bob's place anyone?

#36 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

He's easy enough to find-----just look for the 24' trash bin in his back alley, full of torn up drawings and broken pencils....

#37 MKennedy

MKennedy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Litigation

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

A noble goal, but here's the thing; using my anonymous ID/sock (in use here since 2001 or so) allows me and maybe others to joke around in a way I might on the boat an with friends, but that I wouldn't necessarily want clients/potential clients/opposing counsel etc to see. It's kind of like all those college kids putting party pics on Facebook. The interwebs are forever and reach far and wide and anyone smart enough to keep that in mind restrains themselves accordingly.

#38 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Too many really strange wierdos here and on the net in general to post real identities on a public forum. Too easy for someone with a grudge or criminal intent to stalk or otherwise harrase you in real life.

As is common many folks here know who I am and if i find the need to PM someone I'll sign my real name, otherwise no, not a real practical idea.

That's really the issue. Most of you bastards know who I am, if not, just ask, but having the info out there for google is not a great idea.

#39 Rick Guitar Nelson

Rick Guitar Nelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Go ahead, look me up. :D

#40 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

All right, all right.... I'm a little uncomfortable doing this but, here goes......

My real name is Sean.

Well, that wasn't so bad!

#41 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Bumper:

Truth is there is gathering of CA'ers here at the shack this weekend. It's the 2nd Annual Spike Memorial Sail in. I will fly my big SAILING ANARCHY banner from the upper deck railing with pride.

My neighbors have donated their mooring balls so the fleet can assemble right at my shack. The shack is booked solid but last year a few slept on the cover to the swimming pool. Water bed.

We will have a great party with very good attendance by a bunch of unsavory SA types who will drink all my wine, find my scotch and terrify my neighbors. We will make much music.

Sounds like a damn good time to me. I am changing linen, cleaning toilets, mowing the lawn and doing some "in training" drinking to get ready.

Kind of funny considering the theme of this thread but when we get together we tend to call each other by our SA names.

#42 desldes desk

desldes desk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Maybe it's ironic that I started posting here just so that I could change my nickname. I initially registered to check out one of the 'what is this a picture of' threads from the front page. The name I was trying to use got autocorrected into 'desldes desk'. I'm half way to being allowed to change it to what I had intended: desldesldesl. I've been @desl just about everywhere on the 'net forever and am working my way back to it here. 

One post at a time.

-dan (you can google my last name if you're so inclined).

PS WTF is a desldes desl anyway? Hell if I know.

#43 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Maybe it's ironic that I started posting here just so that I could change my nickname. I initially registered to check out one of the 'what is this a picture of' threads from the front page. The name I was trying to use got autocorrected into 'desldes desk'. I'm half way to being allowed to change it to what I had intended: desldesldesl. I've been @desl just about everywhere on the 'net forever and am working my way back to it here. 

One post at a time.

-dan (you can google my last name if you're so inclined).

PS WTF is a desldes desl anyway? Hell if I know.

Lucy, in her worst Cuban accent?....

#44 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm your mom.  It's not that complicated.

#45 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'd hate to see all the silly and clever names go away.

#46 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,685 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

The ship has sailed in these forums. Sorting the 50,000 and purging those whose identity is not clear would be an endless task.
Even folks like me whose identity is allegedly simple to trace are not always who we claim to be.

The clever personalized posting names can remain. Certainly they are part of the charm of the place.

I think this forum would be best served by a rule that no posts can be made after a certain date except by those who have registered under a new system where each writer is clearly identified on the profile page.

For those of us who would like to keep our current accounts, I am certain that could be accomplished even if it takes a small administrative fee to shuffle things around on the system.

If the lawsuit kills this site, I hope whoever starts a replacement requires personal accountability for each post.

Summary??
Kidding around and even writing mean stuff can be fun, entertaining, and even sometimes productive

Are you kidding?  Were you here when we made the move to requiring registration?  The wailing and gnashing of teeth over how the forums were being destroyed and never recover was just epic.  There are STILL people here today that resent that.  Some claim that industry pros could no longer post comfortably (I guess changing your name every time you post is easier to hide than using a screen name that nobody knows?).  Others I think just didn't like that it made it hard to be a chickenshit grenade chucker.

As far as real names?  I don't think I've ever suffered much for it.  I've never been contacted outside of SA by anyone that I wouldn't welcome the contact from.  I've never received any sort of personal harassment outside of SA, no piles of dogshit mailed to my house, no threats to me or my family.

Here on SA is another story, but much of what I've been getting lately has a been a result of the information being made public that I've been on the Admin team for years here.  Many people "knew" before then, but it being in the open now means that some people with axes to grind have been taking a lot of cheap shots at me.    But I knew that someday my behind the scenes role would be made public and I would receive harassment for it; it's why we tried to keep it public for so long.  The shit I've been taken because I've been an SA admin has nothing to do with me using my real name here.

If you want to create a new forum with real names and registrations, more power to you - it's a lot of work to maintain.  Those Chinese spammers are a bitch once they find you and keep your board software patched or else the script kiddies will take you down and high-five their prepubescent friends about it.  However, I don't think will ever see that here on SA.  It's not the place for it.

#47 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Does anyone know who took over dawgs job.

#48 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Bumper:

Truth is there is gathering of CA'ers here at the shack this weekend. It's the 2nd Annual Spike Memorial Sail in. I will fly my big SAILING ANARCHY banner from the upper deck railing with pride.

My neighbors have donated their mooring balls so the fleet can assemble right at my shack. The shack is booked solid but last year a few slept on the cover to the swimming pool. Water bed.

We will have a great party with very good attendance by a bunch of unsavory SA types who will drink all my wine, find my scotch and terrify my neighbors. We will make much music.

Sounds like a damn good time to me. I am changing linen, cleaning toilets, mowing the lawn and doing some "in training" drinking to get ready.

Kind of funny considering the theme of this thread but when we get together we tend to call each other by our SA names.

damn man, wishin I was on the left coast! enjoy!

#49 kmcfast

kmcfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

No! I'm Spartacus!

No! nooo I'm Spartacus!

#50 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Gouv:
Who are you?
I'm Bob.

it looks like you are one of the few that use their real name. Here is somebody that wants others to use their real name but so far hasn't given his. Is one afraid that something might be said or written that just may get somebody pissed off enough to deck the guy at his house or on the water? But then again it's always kinda fun to get in a good pissing match.. And could we if the opponate knew who you are.

Get a grip guys. Whenever I let my signature appear after a it tells you EXACTLY who I am, what i do for a living, and s hell of s lot more.

As I wrote above, I like the screen names. I think they are fun. My screen name says I like to steer.

My gripe is we allow people to come here, write total shit about people we know and sometimes even love and our forum is set up such that we let our friends be hurt doth no available recourse.

I don't think that is a proper way to live our lives.

We let anonymous posters okay judge , jury, and executioner.

That's not right.

We have failure to take steps to fix a problem when we really ought to be aware the problem is very bad and innocent people are getting hurt while we look the other way...

We could have done more.

#51 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,685 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

To the best of my knowledge Dawg has not been replaced.  He did a lot of stuff that I've never been involved with.

#52 hellion

hellion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts
  • Interests:sailing | yoga | martial arts | hiking | photography | filmmaking | graphic design | travelling

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Anonymity is one thing.
Being an ass is another.

MEAN
PEOPLE
SUCK

Just stop it.

#53 WhoaTed

WhoaTed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
    Beer
    A bunch of other stuff

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Summary??

As far as real names?  I don't think I've ever suffered much for it.  I've never been contacted outside of SA by anyone that I wouldn't welcome the contact from.  I've never received any sort of personal harassment outside of SA, no piles of dogshit mailed to my house, no threats to me or my family.

Here on SA is another story, but much of what I've been getting lately has a been a result of the information being made public that I've been on the Admin team for years here.  Many people "knew" before then, but it being in the open now means that some people with axes to grind have been taking a lot of cheap shots at me.    But I knew that someday my behind the scenes role would be made public and I would receive harassment for it; it's why we tried to keep it public for so long.  The shit I've been taken because I've been an SA admin has nothing to do with me using my real name here.

C'mon man, really? Yeah, "Porter" is such an uncommon name (and BJ?)...Google leads me right to you and your family. And if you wanna be on the admin team of a website (especially this one) you're opening yourself up to abuse from users whether deserved or not. Your choice. Sorry man, your bucket has a few holes in it.

Respect your opinion, but how's it go...Just Sayin'.

btw...always puzzled by your pic...fully geared for offshore in the boatyard and all. Serious or amusement?

#54 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I couldn't give a squirt of ant piss as to who anyone is on SA, really...

#55 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,403 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

fuck...ok, I'm outting myself...I am Russell Coutts and I am damn proud of it.........

#56 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

No sir!  I AM the REAL Russel Couts!! :P

#57 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

The one thing that I think would clean up the BS on SA would be a rating system for posts --

Slashdot, uses one and it works pretty well.

They got from 5 to -1 and if a lotta people don't like your crap it gets pushed

down, or you can choose to only see things rated above a certain level.

Usually I set myself to a 3 there and it filters out the flame idiots and the "me too" babblers.

Not to worry right now, lets see if SA survives, if not we can build SA2...

Scott T. really needs to learn when to chill out and go quiet, he posts

a lot of rants and raves on the local newspaper web site as well.

Name and identity?

Yeah, me, Jerry

#58 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,685 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Summary??

C'mon man, really? Yeah, "Porter" is such an uncommon name (and BJ?)...Google leads me right to you and your family. And if you wanna be on the admin team of a website (especially this one) you're opening yourself up to abuse from users whether deserved or not. Your choice. Sorry man, your bucket has a few holes in it.

btw...always puzzled by your pic...fully geared for offshore in the boatyard and all. Serious or amusement?

No shit, that's why I used Underdawg to administer the site for the last decade, not my real name.  In the last six months or so there was a very concerted effort by a few disgruntled individuals on this site to make it public.  When I was off the net for a while in St. Martin (boat wifi there is nonexistent) a few discussions that outed me sat in the public view for too long, damage done.

So no, I was not an Admin under B.J. Porter, we tried (and succeeded for many years) to protect me from the bullshit I've been getting in the last few months.  But my role has dropped off a lot since I moved on a boat and left the states.

That's a dry suit, it was fall and I was going laser sailing.

#59 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

The one thing that I think would clean up the BS on SA would be a rating system for posts --

Usually I set myself to a 3 there and it filters out the flame idiots and the "me too" babblers.

Name and identity?

Yeah, me, Jerry

.....a BIG +1  to this idea!!

#60 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

I am Spartacus

I'm Batman.

Beat you to it, so go put your tights on robin.

#61 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

He's easy enough to find-----just look for the 24' trash bin in his back alley, full of torn up drawings and broken pencils....

and empty wine bottles. 

#62 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

What lawsuit?

#63 TQA

TQA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising as long as I can

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

I wonder how you plan to ensure that the information given is truthfull?

Also what is to stop someone you "toss"  just reregistering.

I am an admin on another [ non sailing ] forum with 1/2 m registered users, there is no way to police/verify this number.

We toss some one and ban their IP address, they can reregister and spoof the IP, it is not rocket science.

#64 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

I am an admin on another [ non sailing ] forum with 1/2 m registered users, there is no way to police/verify this number.

We toss some one and ban their IP address, they can reregister and spoof the IP, it is not rocket science.

Calguns.net?....

#65 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

Mongo likes beans.

#66 SHNOOL

SHNOOL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:sailing.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

My name is John Schramm, yes there is LESS known about that name than the one I am using for my screen name.

Honestly with the ease of access to info on the internet, posting real names (or worse addresses) is absolutely crazy.

#67 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Having a famous name helps to stay hidden from searches.

Yes indeed it does! 

phil-collins-80s.jpg

-susudio!

#68 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,685 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Same problem here on SA, though we've only had a few dedicated trolls that have gone so far as to spoof IPs.

#69 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Mask:

No. We separate our recycling here. The wine bottles are in the next bin over from the drawings.

Just in case you are dumpster diving.

#70 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

We buy ours in boxes.

I'm working on a backpack, with a mouth tube.

Saves time that way and no glasses to wash.

#71 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Sorry Gouv.  The price of anarchy is, well ..... anarchy!

This forum benefits from the insights and expertise of industry people, sport administrators and just plain sailors who would not share their knowledge and insights if they were required to identify themselves.

In return for the gems from folks like Bob Perry, Richard Gladwell and Steve Clark, you must suffer the idiocies of trolls and sockpuppets.

#72 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Ok. Ok. I cant keep my real self a secret anymore.

Attached Files

#73 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Ok. Ok. I cant keep my real self a secret anymore.

Let me guess---you tried out for Victor/Victoria.....

#74 ColinG

ColinG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Nooooo - that Victoria's REAL secret!

#75 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,925 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

What a bunch of chickenshit excuses:

Number one excuse seems to be ;

I wouldn't have the guts to post the stuff I post here if i thought my boss might find out.

My response?? Then shut the fuck up you pussy!! I don't give two shits about opinions of yours that are less important to you than some fucking persona you maintain to deceive others out of their money.

Post only that which you are willing to stand behind forever or take your bullshit elsewhere.

And the excuse you wouldn't want anybody to find your personal information??
Your name???
What total shit!!!

It isn't about your name. It is about the fact you are ashamed to be associated with the rest of us.

And fuck you too!!!

I wouldn't have the guts to post the stuff I post here if i thought my boss might find out.

My response?? Then shut the fuck up you pussy!! I don't give two shits about opinions of yours that are less important to you than some fucking persona you maintain to deceive others out of their money.

Post only that which you are willing to stand behind forever or take your bullshit elsewhere.

Your name???
What total shit!!!

It isn't about your name. It is about the fact you are ashamed to be associated with the rest of us.

And fuck you too!!!

#76 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

You obviously missed the memo about the NSA....

#77 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

Your name???
What total shit!!!
And fuck you too!!!What a bunch of chickenshit excuses:
Your name???
What total shit!!!
And fuck you too!!!

I resent your tone. And I for one will never "come out" on this site again!

#78 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

Your name???
What total shit!!!
Your name???
What total shit!!!
And fuck you too!!!

Never mind The Gouv----it's gin-thirty over there.....

#79 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

Mr. Clean?

The Ed?

Starts at the top.

#80 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

Name and identity?

Yeah, me, Jerry

.....a BIG +1  to this idea!!

we went down that road

Uber Douche bitched about being rated as a

ready ??

Uber Douche  :lol:

whodda thunk it  B)

#81 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Your name???
What total shit!!!
Your name???
What total shit!!!
And fuck you too!!!

Never mind The Gouv----it's gin-thirty over there.....

No worries. Its happy hour here.cheers!

#82 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

Your name???
What total shit!!!

And fuck you too!!!

Your name???
What total shit!!!

And fuck you too!!!

You seem a little agitated.....

#83 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

More like stirred. Or shaken. Whatever....

#84 WhoaTed

WhoaTed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
    Beer
    A bunch of other stuff

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

Summary??

No shit, that's why I used Underdawg to administer the site for the last decade, not my real name.  In the last six months or so there was a very concerted effort by a few disgruntled individuals on this site to make it public.  When I was off the net for a while in St. Martin (boat wifi there is nonexistent) a few discussions that outed me sat in the public view for too long, damage done.

So no, I was not an Admin under B.J. Porter, we tried (and succeeded for many years) to protect me from the bullshit I've been getting in the last few months.  But my role has dropped off a lot since I moved on a boat and left the states.

Understood; I've seen some of the shitfights you've been in lately, not sure of the backstory and don't care but WTF is up with some people? Hope youse can work out the issues but looks pretty bleak.

Point is that GTS'ing BJ Porter doesn't exactly give anyone the dish on you...unless you're the athlete, the comedian/actor, or any of the hundreds of other "hits". Regardless, unfortunately you got involved with SA, and along with most everyone else on the "inside" your name eventually came out. Goes with the territory, especially considering some of the dickheads here...sooner or later someone's gonna get a boner for ya and attack. Internutters. Good luck with that.

Nice suit.

#85 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Have you met DT yet?....

#86 OzScoutSailor

OzScoutSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

Gouv, got to disagree: it is about what happens off the forum. I will never be a member of a public forum where I must identify myself on the screen, except for something like LinkedIn. Although if you posted much of what is said on SA on LinkIn your employment propects will go down.

I almost lost a job once due to a customer tracking me down on a forum where I identified myself and he then used unrelated comments to complain about me to my boss. I consider myself a fairly moderate poster and tend not to be a wanker who uses terms like "bored aussie cunt" or personal attacks. However, somehow this guy convinced my boss that my comments showed bad character. Luckily commonsense prevailed.

Being a member of this forum is never going to be so important that I will risk other parts of my life for it.

The issue is not identity but the standard of content creation & moderation and that is set by the owners, editors and moderators. So maybe they need to be more active in kicking/suspending people who use terms like "bored aussie cunt" as a personal attack, creating great FP articles and spend less time posting insulting and inappropriate FP articles and posts. Although as has been pointed out spoofing IPs to get around kicking is pretty damned easy. And before the mods get upset, I know it tends to be a thankless hard job. Been there, done that and burnt the tshirt while it was on an effigy of a certain person.

If I didn't find some of the content and people interesting I wouldn't be here but some things could diffintiely improve. Perhaps you could open Gouv's Forum Etiquette School but I suspect those who really need it will never enrol.

Maybe you'll just write this off with F#$% OFF NEWB! but if the site can't attract newbies then it will wither and die.

#87 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,685 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

Understood; I've seen some of the shitfights you've been in lately, not sure of the backstory and don't care but WTF is up with some people? Hope youse can work out the issues but looks pretty bleak.

Point is that GTS'ing BJ Porter doesn't exactly give anyone the dish on you...unless you're the athlete, the comedian/actor, or any of the hundreds of other "hits". Regardless, unfortunately you got involved with SA, and along with most everyone else on the "inside" your name eventually came out. Goes with the territory, especially considering some of the dickheads here...sooner or later someone's gonna get a boner for ya and attack. Internutters. Good luck with that.

Nice suit.

Given my propensity for 1) meeting new SA people and 2) drinking rum with them I'm surprised we kept it as quiet for as long as we did.  I'm sure that's how it got out in the first place, though some people were trying to guess for ages.

Also my Google profile has both dropped (since I stopped racing and my name & boat stopped showing up in results) and been obfuscated (by the career arc of both a college BBaller AND a comic writer w/ my improbable name).  6-8 years ago you didn't need to add the word "sail" or "sailing" to the search to find me. 

Back when I was racing it was easier to find things like my home address and phone number...now I don't even have a phone and I live on a boat.

#88 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

I am sitting in my office.

There is a guy sitting here that I met on SA. His name is Tim. He will spend the night here along with Lin who I also met on SA. I met Lin on SA.

We have finished a most delicious dinner that I prepared.

Right now Tim is giving a guitar lesson to my neighbors' granddaughter.

I have been teaching her guiitar for about 6  mos.

Tim is a better finger picker than I am so I want him to show her some finger picking techniques.

They are doing it now.

They are playing "Hey, you got to hide your love away".

The power of SA.

#89 2high2tight

2high2tight

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sailing porn, porn

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

I can't confess I'm Dan Meyers.

#90 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Have you met DT yet?....

Had some Asian prawns and a nice bottle of wine with him right before I offed him and made it look like a suicide.  Nice guy. I've still got his papers on physics and engine repair. 

I hit him in the the head, in his cabin, as the sock puppet Miss Marple, with something from Teaky's desk.

I've met Mr. Porter, BTW.  He's a grifter.

Edit - I'm Hobie.  A dead Boston Terrier who has more sailing time than many people reading this right now.  Far 40, Laser and everything between.  I can also lick my own balls.

#91 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'm Publius.

#92 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

Gaston is totally against this. Since his DUI on his Scooter leaving that Gay Joint, he just doesn't want people Googling his personal data!

#93 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

Given that every other hetero male on Earth named Gaston have already committed suicide, our own little reptilian FU grad is pretty easy to suss out....

#94 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,710 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

http://forums.sailin...tats&do=leaders

#95 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

on the rare occasion (less than a handful) i've felt the need to correct or blast someone here, i've signed my real name to the bottom of the post. the worlds full of pissants, chickenshits, bullies, knowitalls, dumbasses, etc and this place is no different. what astounds me is how life and death serious this is to so many of you...goodbye posts, outings, malicious shit fits. it's the interwebernets ffs, no one wins at it

#96 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

on the rare occasion (less than a handful) i've felt the need to correct or blast someone here, i've signed my real name to the bottom of the post. the worlds full of pissants, chickenshits, bullies, knowitalls, dumbasses, etc and this place is no different. what astounds me is how life and death serious this is to so many of you...goodbye posts, outings, malicious shit fits. it's the interwebernets ffs, no one wins at it

Who the fuck is keeping score?

#97 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'm Publius.

Get a wax job, TR, and we can give you a better nickname.

#98 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

I'm a really smart goat with a keyboard that has very big keys

My kids use a laptop

Attached Files

#99 herbie verstinx

herbie verstinx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

I'd hate to see all the silly and clever names go away.

What clever names?

#100 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Herb:

Bob Perry is pretty clever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users