295 replies to this topic

#201 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

My full name + my boat name + google/bing et al = identity theft waiting to happen and a privacy nightmare

I work in a profession that deals alot in identify theft, and posting your full name on an interweb bulletin board/forum is often the start point to a whole lotta pain once a nigerian scammer or general dickhead gets wind of it.

#202 Kū-ka-ili-moku

Kū-ka-ili-moku

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

Guy is Guy.  Ask Mrs. Frank.

Indeed.    And Kū is Kū, the Eternal and Uncreated, the Benevolent and Wrathful, the Mighty and Capricious.    Deal with it bitches, that's all your're going to get.

#203 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

Like I have said before its not efficient to have moderators and actual identities are sort of meaningless because that stuff can get faked as well.

The rating system works well over on Slashdot, its not moderated, but every reader can click on something when they read it, where its liked or disliked, or defined as trolling. If you get a bunch of clicks that your stuff is junk, the post rating moves down. If its rated high by many it moves up.

You set the rating level you want to see, they have a scale from 5 to -1, and if you set it to 3, the trolling and other junk goes away, it works and it works well.

The site is for IT folks and other techno nerds so they have worked things out pretty well.

Would it happen here? The forum software used to run this site is pretty generic, and that might require some effort to upgrade whats here. For SA2 if this all falls apart.

It was trialled here a while back and it failed, badly.

#204 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Sorry !! Can't post right now. Somebody drove past my house s couple hours ago and he may have been from the government

#205 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

They already know who you are!!

#206 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Anon is an important aspect of any mostly un-moderated internet forum.

This has nothing to do with the government, it has to do with providing a truly open forum where individuals can speak their minds without fear of reprisals from employers; past, current and future.

For the self employed or independently wealthy this aspect may seem superficial, but to all of us ranked among the minions of the labor force, the prospect of having our uncensored political views searchable on google is not, in the least favorable. Nor having a result pulled up out of context on the screen of some human resource guy's computer.

Yes there will be trolls, there will be BG shitting in every thread he notices and DoRag proving how amazingly easy it is to troll those from Aus. NZ and GB. Spin them up, ignore them or just talk around them.

There also will continue to be a wide range of views and experiences openly argued and discussed, words against words, which is the whole point of any internet forum. Anonymous grants all users the freedom to occasionally play devils advocate or just simply blurt out what is REALLY on their mind with as many; fucks, cunts, shits,twats and damns as they deem best conveys their feelings.

Looking for a career change and want advice...right now you can post that. Pissed off at your boss or coworkers, right now you can vent.

If Gouv has his way, this will no longer be an option for the vast majority. I may stay, but not with the same account as my personal views on religion should not affect any future jobs, nor should Happy Jacks delusions. 

#207 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

My full name + my boat name + google/bing et al = identity theft waiting to happen and a privacy nightmare

I work in a profession that deals alot in identify theft, and posting your full name on an interweb bulletin board/forum is often the start point to a whole lotta pain once a nigerian scammer or general dickhead gets wind of it.

It's not the folk who post here that I want to keep my identity from, it's the folk who DON'T post here that I have the issue with.

Would you low-jack your car so your boss can see where you go in the weekends?

And no, I'm not on face book either.

#208 Flashbrah

Flashbrah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

President Obama checking in...

But srs, it won't work. 

Maybe we can start though by having everyone put up an actual picture of themselves as their profile (blank out faces if you want.)

At least then I can see who I'm talking to.

#209 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,077 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

at a nautical forum in brazil of which i am a member, at registration you have to inform you tax payer's identification number (a data bank that is kept and managed by the brazilian irs) , which is used only to confirm the identity of the person who is registering and not used for any other purpose nor revealed to any user. once the identity is confirmed by the forum administrator, the new member is allowed in. 

We don't have national ID numbers here. Even the one that is closest says right on the card that it's not an ID number. Or it used to...

socseccard.jpg

#210 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,077 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

For the self employed or independently wealthy this aspect may seem superficial, but to all of us ranked among the minions of the labor force, the prospect of having our uncensored political views searchable on google is not, in the least favorable. ...

+3

Sincerely,

Publius

(for those who don't get it, three people wrote under that name.)

#211 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Sorry !! Can't post right now. Somebody drove past my house s couple hours ago and he may have been from the government

put on your tin-foil hat you dickhead, it will all go away

and quit trying to out us 

what fucking axe are you grinding anyway ? what is your agenda ? 

#212 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

put on your tin-foil hat you dickhead, it will all go away

and quit trying to out us 

what fucking axe are you grinding anyway ? what is your agenda ? 

They weren't from the Government driving by, it was the forum police to tell you which forum to post your pathetic drivel in...LOL!

#213 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Maybe we can start though by having everyone put up an actual picture of themselves as their profile (blank out faces if you want.)

I already do.

#214 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Like I have said before its not efficient to have moderators and actual identities are sort of meaningless because that stuff can get faked as well.

The rating system works well over on Slashdot, its not moderated, but every reader can click on something when they read it, where its liked or disliked, or defined as trolling. If you get a bunch of clicks that your stuff is junk, the post rating moves down. If its rated high by many it moves up.

You set the rating level you want to see, they have a scale from 5 to -1, and if you set it to 3, the trolling and other junk goes away, it works and it works well.

The site is for IT folks and other techno nerds so they have worked things out pretty well.

Would it happen here? The forum software used to run this site is pretty generic, and that might require some effort to upgrade whats here. For SA2 if this all falls apart.

OH, what happened?

#215 Craven Moorehead

Craven Moorehead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

I had my identity stolen once and it took a year to get it back. While it was missing my wife insisted that I use a condom with her. I guess she does that with all strangers.

#216 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

This has nothing to do with the government, it has to do with providing a truly open forum where individuals can speak their minds without fear of reprisals from employers; past, current and future.

For the self employed or independently wealthy this aspect may seem superficial, but to all of us ranked among the minions of the labor force, the prospect of having our uncensored political views searchable on google is not, in the least favorable. Nor having a result pulled up out of context on the screen of some human resource guy's computer.

Yes there will be trolls, there will be BG shitting in every thread he notices and DoRag proving how amazingly easy it is to troll those from Aus. NZ and GB. Spin them up, ignore them or just talk around them.

There also will continue to be a wide range of views and experiences openly argued and discussed, words against words, which is the whole point of any internet forum. Anonymous grants all users the freedom to occasionally play devils advocate or just simply blurt out what is REALLY on their mind with as many; fucks, cunts, shits,twats and damns as they deem best conveys their feelings.

Looking for a career change and want advice...right now you can post that. Pissed off at your boss or coworkers, right now you can vent.

If Gouv has his way, this will no longer be an option for the vast majority. I may stay, but not with the same account as my personal views on religion should not affect any future jobs, nor should Happy Jacks delusions. 

Well said. The OP is simply self righteous and judgmental and always has been on this forum. Being the owner of his own business in his little duck pond gives him the equivalent global view and credibility that Sarah Palin has for foreign relations with Russia !!

#217 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

this obsession with names is quite odd...

the names people post here could easily be faked...and virtually all that are posted here mean nothing to me...

and, frankly, i just don't give a shit

#218 Wreck™

Wreck™

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Well said. The OP is simply self righteous and judgmental and always has been on this forum. Being the owner of his own business in his little duck pond gives him the equivalent global view and credibility that Sarah Palin has for foreign relations with Russia !!

Sarah Palin can "see" Russia

Or did you mean Michael Palin?

#219 HollyGoodhead

HollyGoodhead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Holly is a scientist and astronaut working for the CIA working undercover on Sir Hugo Drax's Moonraker 5 space shuttle to gather intelligence on Drax's plan to exterminate the human race.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I had my identity stolen once and it took a year to get it back. While it was missing my wife insisted that I use a condom with her. I guess she does that with all strangers.

I'm shocked to hear Craven has a wife. Incidentally, I've never met a man who was stranger.

#220 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,994 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

I already do.

Man you ugly!

#221 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Pissing off
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

I am worried about the NSA raiding SA. Think of it... each prison could then field their very own sailing team. Best of all.....crew shirts would match.

#222 JWBooth

JWBooth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Proud Co-founder and Ring Leader of the White Trash Circus:
    Local 270 Western Kentucky Chapter

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Okay, okay... My real name is Brian Fantana.  But people call me the Bry man; I'm the stylish one of the group. I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater. You ladies play your cards right you just might get to meet the whole gang.

#223 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

#224 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

I already do.

Man you ugly!

You should see the avatar over at the Other Place.

#225 mainsheetsister

mainsheetsister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Interests:sarcasm
    and
    the sky

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Call me Al.

#226 Marcjsmith

Marcjsmith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

marcus aurelius

and I sail toy boats....

I guess I can thank my parents for the common name....:)

#227 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Has every fricken piece of a boat been taken now as a name?

If not, I'm gonna use exhaust manifold for a sock puppet!

#228 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hobs:

Try "standpipe".

#229 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hobs:

Try "standpipe".

Maybe MSD?

#230 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hobs:
Try "standpipe".

I think It's only fair that you get "Finnegans Post".

#231 pmw

pmw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

This is SA so therefore everyone can use "Don't you know who I am".

#232 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm god and I just won a prize on SA if I would take a survey. WTF when did that shit start?

Maybe this is a conspirisy for Dan to figure out who we are to name us in his next round of court shit.

Most people who want to know who I am, know. PM me if you need to but I agree, mostly it is a layer of protection from the spammers of this world.

My god, I'm starting to write like Woody.

#233 Skol

Skol

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:foredeck overboard expert. PBR can spinnaker pole construction. bailing water.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

what's all this about sock puppets?   my god.   As soon as somebody goes down the sock puppet road they should ban themselves.   If you feel the urge to register a sock puppet account, instead you should just load up on Sesame Street videos and go get the strongest brick of weed you can find.  Glue two half-hulls of your boat together (doesn't matter that the pointy ends don't match) to play with on the couch between hits and take comfort in the fact that your dog (probably) still loves you.   You'll eventually find Jesus or rehab or both, and life will be better for everyone in the end.  

Not that I have a strong opinion on the matter.  

-n00b 

#234 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

There are some who call me... Tim.

#235 WhoaTed

WhoaTed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Italian cars
    Beer
    A bunch of other stuff

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Already knew that, I like your other name better...what was it again?

#236 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Already knew that, I like your other name better...what was it again?

Not Cliffy.

#237 Bill's Sock Puppet

Bill's Sock Puppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

what's all this about sock puppets?   my god.   As soon as somebody goes down the sock puppet road they should ban themselves.   If you feel the urge to register a sock puppet account, instead you should just load up on Sesame Street videos and go get the strongest brick of weed you can find.  Glue two half-hulls of your boat together (doesn't matter that the pointy ends don't match) to play with on the couch between hits and take comfort in the fact that your dog (probably) still loves you.   You'll eventually find Jesus or rehab or both, and life will be better for everyone in the end.  

-n00b 

jeez, what you have against sock puppets?

I'm guessing that if you don't know who I am then you probably don't care who I am.

Anyway, now I feel self conscious, like my name is not good enough: it's not even my fault, all the good ones were already taken.

#238 Skol

Skol

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:foredeck overboard expert. PBR can spinnaker pole construction. bailing water.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

-n00b 

jeez, what you have against sock puppets?

I'm guessing that if you don't know who I am then you probably don't care who I am.

Anyway, now I feel self conscious, like my name is not good enough: it's not even my fault, all the good ones were already taken.

**GASP!!**  Sweet mother of Jesus would you look at that?!    Sock puppets, everywhere!   This whole ordeal is some kind of liberal plot.   I'd better be careful 'round these parts.   :ph34r:   

#239 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

I always sign my posts Romain, but in the real world I'm known as Paul. "Romain" is my own persnal sockpuppet.

Romain

#240 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm... Pat. The picture is real but not terribly informative. The RGSC part was from a club that has since changed its name, in one of sailing's most remote and unlikely backwaters.  

#241 HollyGoodhead

HollyGoodhead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Holly is a scientist and astronaut working for the CIA working undercover on Sir Hugo Drax's Moonraker 5 space shuttle to gather intelligence on Drax's plan to exterminate the human race.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Inigo Montoya is my cousin:

#242 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm god and I just won a prize on SA if I would take a survey. WTF when did that shit start?

Maybe this is a conspirisy for Dan to figure out who we are to name us in his next round of court shit.

Most people who want to know who I am, know. PM me if you need to but I agree, mostly it is a layer of protection from the spammers of this world.

My god, I'm starting to write like Woody.

Just add a whole bunch of superfluous crap to your sig line and a picture of a racoon and you're there.

#243 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

That wouldn't work, you would miss all the train wrecks.

#244 El Crapitano

El Crapitano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:sharp saw blades

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

I post under my real name.

#245 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

blah, blah 

Up with this we shall not put! Harrumph!

#246 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's not the folk who post here that I want to keep my identity from, it's the folk who DON'T post here that I have the issue with.

You live in Nelson, New Zealand. Why for the love of dog would ANYONE steal your identity? Might as well steal the identity of some Amazonian head-shrinker or Mongolian goatherd. 

#247 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

I answer to my screenname.  Have since college.  if u know who I am, u can call me that.  Don't really want full name associated.  Most of you that know mw, know me though.  Good talk.  See u out there.

Now if we could just get that Jespositio guy to out himself...

#248 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Now if we could just get that Jespositio guy to out himself...

I am pretty sure his real name is Snaggletooth. Perhaps one of the mods could confirm that by comparing IP addresses?

#249 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

You live in Nelson, New Zealand. Why for the love of dog would ANYONE steal your identity? Might as well steal the identity of some Amazonian head-shrinker or Mongolian goatherd. 
Or Wofsey :)

#250 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Not very hard to suss out who I am, if anybody really cares, which I highly doubt....LOL

So long as you take all the liabilities with the assets, PLEASE steal my identity!!!  ; - )

#251 The Owners Wife

The Owners Wife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Ok, I'll come clean, my real name is Mrs. Gouvernail.

#252 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

BJ,for some reason I can't quote your post, guess as Dawg got screwed there's nobody here to fix the leaks in the forums

If there were any Mods with a backbone? ED and Clean would have had a timeout, at least.

#253 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,994 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

BJ,for some reason I can't quote your post, guess as Dawg got screwed there's nobody here to fix the leaks in the forums

If there were any Mods with a backbone? ED and Clean would have had a timeout, at least.

You can't quote me?  That's odd...I wonder if it's the punctuation in my name, though others don't seem to have a role in it.

Giving the site owner and his (presumably paid...I have no idea what Clean's arrangement is) editorial staff a timeout would probably be overstepping my bounds as a volunteer broom pusher...

Is it maybe because I've quoted others?  I don't know if it's intentional, but we've got a couple of users that start their names with a single quote - that DOES fuck with the quote system.  So it there are embedded quotes from those quys in my quote it may make things blow up on your end.

#254 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

BJ...  How come the smiley icons don't work on my computer at work?  Is it becausse the "websense" filters block streaming content, porn and other stuff?

#255 HollyGoodhead

HollyGoodhead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

You can't quote me?  That's odd...I wonder if it's the punctuation in my name, though others don't seem to have a role in it.

Giving the site owner and his (presumably paid...I have no idea what Clean's arrangement is) editorial staff a timeout would probably be overstepping my bounds as a volunteer broom pusher...

Is it maybe because I've quoted others?  I don't know if it's intentional, but we've got a couple of users that start their names with a single quote - that DOES fuck with the quote system.  So it there are embedded quotes from those quys in my quote it may make things blow up on your end.

Was it all posts by BJ that were unquotable or just one of them?

#256 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Ok, I'll come clean, my real name is Mrs. Gouvernail.

When are we consummating the marriage ??

#257 The Owners Wife

The Owners Wife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

Contact me: keelslut@sbcglobal.net

#258 keeldude

keeldude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:keels

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Contact me: keelslut@sbcglobal.net

Looks like we are made for each other

Keeldude@sbcglobal.net

#259 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,994 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

BJ...  How come the smiley icons don't work on my computer at work?  Is it becausse the "websense" filters block streaming content, porn and other stuff?

Might be, or it could be that your employer is filtering out any content at all that might bring you joy while at work.

#260 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

But it works this time round.

#261 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Was it all posts by BJ that were unquotable or just one of them?
Just the last post for some reason.

#262 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

So what you're saying is you want to have no accountability for any of your views, thoughts, etc? That to me is the definition of a spineless pussy.

I'm all for real screen names(if it was possible, it's probably not)

It would sure cut down on the Internet tough guys hiding behind their keyboards.

#263 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm Batman, damnit.

#264 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

So what you're saying is you want to have no accountability for any of your views, thoughts, etc? That to me is the definition of a spineless pussy.

It would sure cut down on the Internet tough guys hiding behind their keyboards.

I long since modified my position to  something like "If you post shit about somebody, the victim has the RIGHT to know who posted the shit."

"My way" would in no way restrict a fellow fro signing up a sock puppet and writing, "My boss at my company I won't name is a jerk. I want to go work somewhere and not have him stopping by for a quich fondle  three times a day. Does anyone know of a place where they are hiring accountants?"

Please assume my currently evolved position when creating hyypotheticals based upon "Gouv's way."

and if I agree with you about your criticism, I may change my mind some more.

What would be  the point of my participation in a discussion if my mind were already made up??

#265 Craven Moorehead

Craven Moorehead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

I prefer all my pussy to be spineless. It's a question of comfort.

#266 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,401 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I long since modified my position to  something like "If you post shit about somebody, the victim has the RIGHT to know who posted the shit."

"My way" would in no way restrict a fellow fro signing up a sock puppet and writing, "My boss at my company I won't name is a jerk. I want to go work somewhere and not have him stopping by for a quich fondle  three times a day. Does anyone know of a place where they are hiring accountants?"

Please assume my currently evolved position when creating hyypotheticals based upon "Gouv's way."

What would be  the point of my participation in a discussion if my mind were already made up??

Hey Fred, you're a dick.

Love,

Rick

#267 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hey Fred, you're a dick.

Love,

Rick

Uh???

At my weight I am more of a schlong

But

Aren't all Richards Dicks!??!

#268 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,995 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Or Wofsey :)

Cripes man ... obsess much?

You continue to mention me like the tick of a clock, and I have no interest in anything you've ever written. I remember that you're from Britain or Australia or something, but beyond that, you are about as memorable as a warm pool of spit on concrete.

#269 Dr. Floopy

Dr. Floopy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Let me state something.

First off the definition of Anarchy is a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.

So if you incorporate some rule then you need to rename the site.

Second instead of making a new site completely just ask the owner to implement some moderators; who would then delete retarded post and bad ass hole's.

#270 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Let me state something.

First off the definition of Anarchy is a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.

Second instead of making a new site completely just ask the owner to implement some moderators; who would then delete retarded post and bad ass hole's.

You're gonna bin half the content, then mate!! LOL

#271 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,994 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Let me state something.

No kidding, if I had to delete 100% of the idiotic posts and assholes I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

#272 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Let me state something.

No kidding, if I had to delete 100% of the idiotic posts and assholes I wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

And we would have nothing to read.

#273 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,401 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Let me state something.

And we would have nothing to read.

No shit. How the fuk else would I kill time whilst awaiting getting released from this Bolivian prison?....

#274 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Conjugal visits from your Peruvian girlfriends

#275 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

I am sitting in my office.

There is a guy sitting here that I met on SA. His name is Tim. He will spend the night here along with Lin who I also met on SA. I met Lin on SA.

We have finished a most delicious dinner that I prepared.

Right now Tim is giving a guitar lesson to my neighbors' granddaughter.

I have been teaching her guiitar for about 6  mos.

Tim is a better finger picker than I am so I want him to show her some finger picking techniques.

They are doing it now.

They are playing "Hey, you got to hide your love away".

The power of SA.

I also met Tim and Lin on SA, and have sailed to Bermuda and back with them on a small boat. I would do that again in a heartbeat. My wife, son and I love them like family.

I met Gouvernail on SA, and have met him in person and had lunch with him. He is a very funny, nice, generous person, and is extremely smart.

I haven't met many people here in real life, but the ones I have I like.

#276 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,401 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

There is a guy sitting here that I met on SA. His name is Tim. He will spend the night here along with Lin who I also met on SA. I met Lin on SA.

Tim is a better finger picker than I am so I want him to show her some finger picking techniques.

They are doing it now.

The power of SA.

I also met Tim and Lin on SA, and have sailed to Bermuda and back with them on a small boat. I would do that again in a heartbeat. My wife, son and I love them like family.

I met Gouvernail on SA, and have met him in person and had lunch with him. He is a very funny, nice, generous person, and is extremely smart.

I haven't met many people here in real life, but the ones I have I like.

We've met 50 or 60 or more Anarchists in the past 7 years or so, and except for one, they have been some of the nicest, selfless, gracious and funnest folks you could hope for. And to a person, they're all people that you'd definitely want on your team. Any team.....

#277 HollyGoodhead

HollyGoodhead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

They are doing it now.

The power of SA.

I spent a number nights sailing with Tim on a 40 footer. Unfortunately he was a perfect gentleman. In consolation he made some great meals in a rather limited galley.

#278 The Owners Wife

The Owners Wife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

I spent a number nights sailing with Tim on a 40 footer. Unfortunately he was a perfect gentleman. In consolation he made some great meals in a rather limited galley.

Really? More fun if you told us he was good with his fingers.

#279 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Alright i see where you have modified the position and that makes more sense, yes if a poster is attacking a person by name, that person should have a means to respond. Requesting name at registration isn't going to work, IP addresses can be altered  -easily-  and without a little note from a court you won't be getting any farther. However, whatever may be gained in accountability will not be offset by the liberty lost.

Published words alone, which for those new to the internet, are worthless without pics especially when an attack or accusation is made off the cuff from an unknown source.

Unbeknownst to the Drudge report, one can not simply pull some random shit they found in an Indian tabloid and have it become factual.

What has to be examined are the goals of this and every other internet forum community and how the rules set forth by the administrators affect the desired outcome. The ability to publish freely what is on ones mind is a liberty many of us normally are unable to partake in and a core to this particular forum where we as posters may remain anonymous.

Anon posters not only post more often they drive conversations, often emotional and are the driving force behind a thriving community where each of us are are digital personae spread across thousands of miles. 

While it may seem as though this anarchy would lead to complete nonsense and misinformation being propagated as a matter of course, look closely and what you will find that the opposite is true. Bullshit is called out quickly, without apology and those with unique and often vast knowledge step up. On "other" sailing forums strict moderator force a rule of "playing nice" SA does not. I am not among these elite members with vast knowledge, but i could much more easily play one on the other sites without fear of a Bob Perry, Steve Clark or Bora calling my ass out for the better of the community. Ask a question here and you will get straight answers as the peer review is firmly set to eliminate bullshit. The fact is that, for any of the faults, this forum in not broken.

Personally there is nothing i have said on these forums i would not say directly in person. Those who know me are aware i have little fear of confrontation. 

This does not mean however that i would willingly publish my rants on political topics in such a way that was accessible for employers or usable by other media outlets as "John Doe, a XYZ from Company X says Espo, a ABC from Company Y is a dick."  Requiring in any way that such information be accessible hobbles the free discourse that is the core value to this forum as a whole.  By publishing names our banter does become usable in the real world even when it is not valid and this makes for an uneven playing field for those who are without ties to employers and associations which their opinions are not intended to represent to greater views of the whole.

Call it a class struggle where retired poli sci professor can publicly smear the names of others while the accused are forced into a box where whatever they say can and will be used against them every time they apply for a job however, unrelated to what may or may not have occurred on some Wednesday night as well as the club and all members, no matter how entirely uninvolved with the incident now have that thread appear every time a prospective new racer queries the internet.

No different than pen names, users are granted the ability to allow the quality of their written words to stand alone against the arguments of others. It is better this way and if anyone wishes to discuss this in person i'll be racing next Wednesday on a J-24 on Oneida lake.  Or if you happen to see a Starwing sailing about on Cazanovia/Onieda, that is likely me as well.

#280 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,077 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

This does not mean however that i would willingly publish my rants on political topics in such a way that was accessible for employers or usable by other media outlets as "John Doe, a XYZ from Company X says Espo, a ABC from Company Y is a dick."  Requiring in any way that such information be accessible hobbles the free discourse that is the core value to this forum as a whole. ...

Hah! Calling Espo a dick is an outstanding example of a SA core value. :lol:

#281 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Alright i see where you have modified the position and that makes more sense, yes if a poster is attacking a person by name, that person should have a means to respond. Requesting name at registration isn't going to work, IP addresses can be altered  -easily-  and without a little note from a court you won't be getting any farther. However, whatever may be gained in accountability will not be offset by the liberty lost.

... ...

While it may seem as though this anarchy would lead to complete nonsense and misinformation being propagated as a matter of course, look closely and what you will find that the opposite is true. Bullshit is called out quickly, without apology and those with unique and often vast knowledge step up. On "other" sailing forums strict moderator force a rule of "playing nice" SA does not. I am not among these elite members with vast knowledge, but i could much more easily play one on the other sites without fear of a Bob Perry, Steve Clark or Bora calling my ass out for the better of the community. Ask a question here and you will get straight answers as the peer review is firmly set to eliminate bullshit. The fact is that, for any of the faults, this forum in not broken.

... ...

Hear hear... well said, sir

There are lots of places on the Interwebs that have lots of shit-slinging BS-fests. Not so many where you can either ask a question, or answer a question if you think you know, and get straight talk from fellow sailors who have been there, done that.

Along with some shit-slinging, yeah, so what? If your skin is that thin, then go to one of the mommy-safe forums and get pablum... mostly from armchair experts...

It's a big enough world that those who have nothing to offer but shit-slinging can always find a rock to hide under while they scoop up more poo. It's also a small enough world that those who have nothing to offer but shit-slinging will soon be known as such.

FB- Doug

#282 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Well dished Mr Caven!!
And modifying my position accordingly;

When a person a cries foul at an anonymous poster, and others feel the complaint has validity,
Outing the identity of that anonymous poster should not be considered a crime agsinst the forum

I don't care who anonymously posts friendly stuff , helpful advice, or even any well documented materials, but when someone posts a load of shit personally attacking another person,
Well

I just think the victim has the right to know who deserves the fist delivery.

Maybe after the third "who the fuck are you?? " it should become a tradition to let everybody know exxctly who is the chickenshit slinger of big words.

#283 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, well I had DoRag stalking me on every single forum, even when I was doing simple, normal stuff, like reminiscing on pictures that Larry posted of boats I once raced on "back in the day", or discussing epoxy mixes with Vegas, or anything really.

Later I found out he is "protected" here on SA, the (a?) moderator(s) would remove any comments that "out" him. So he had me at a disadvantage, but not any longer, I know exactly who he is now: a dime a dozen.

#284 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,401 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, well I had DoRag stalking me on every single forum, even when I was doing simple, normal stuff, like reminiscing on pictures that Larry posted of boats I once raced on "back in the day", or discussing epoxy mixes with Vegas, or anything really.

Later I found out he is "protected" here on SA, the (a?) moderator(s) would remove any comments that "out" him. So he had me at a disadvantage, but not any longer, I know exactly who he is now: a dime a dozen.

Please tell us he's a furriner....

#285 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

:)

#286 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

hahahaahahaha i knew it!

#287 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Please tell us he's a furriner....

Nope, he's one of yours.

#288 Bruce T. Shark

Bruce T. Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:After Race Parties<br />Frank Mundus<br />Peter Benchly

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Gouv:

Who are you?

I'm Bob.

And i am Bruce T. Shark and stood next to you and a guy named bernie at Mears in Annapolis..a long time ago..grin

#289 Lohring Miller

Lohring Miller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:boating

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

While I enjoy humor and spirited discussions as much as anyone, this forum is seriously out of control.  Paying attention to these remarks from a moderator in another forum would go a long way toward improving the experience here.

"I have noted that the forums have an interesting dynamic to them. First the good, there are so many really great boaters willing to share their knowledge and experience with everyone. I personally have learned so much over the last couple of years that I hardly know where to start. Any time I have a question, thought or observation I have posted it here and gotten some really great feedback. That is the essence of what this is all about and the general culture of our fellow hobbyist.

There is also a really dark side to these forums (not just [forum name]but the others as well). For some reason being online gives people a license to ignore all basic social contracts. The courtesies and tolerances we would normally extend to our fellow boaters are lost and at times people become very vicious and self serving. Without consideration for the other person, people will comment in ways that they would never do in person. Further it can create an environment where the mob mentality rules. I have seen and experienced situations where someone will offer their opinion or advice and they are attacked and ridiculed for it. I myself offered some insight into some of the things I am doing with my boats and I had people I didn't know jump into the conversation and literally attack my ideas. You do not have to agree with anyone's opinions for sure but you certainly owe your fellow boaters some respect.

Here are what a couple of ways I think everyone could benefit from when posting on these sites;

1) Always respect your fellow boater, you may not agree with them and you are welcome to post your own idea but never attack, belittle or diminish their ideas. They are trying to help boaters just like you.

2) Avoid the MOB mentality. If there is a heated discussion taking place and you do not have anything positive to ADD to the conversation then refrain from posting. This take a lot of discipline because everyone wants to express their opinion. However if you do not have a horse in the race you have no business on the track.

3) If you have a disagreement with someone take it offline. No one makes any friends or gains respect by arguing in a public venue. Most differences can be solved with a simple direct conversation. In most cases a phone call (where social contracts seem to come back in to play) will yield a resolution quickly and not let it get out of hand.

4) Remember this is a community, therefore you have a responsibility to your fellow boater. Everyone wants to help and be recognized for the things that they do or know. If you engage in a posts that take that from them you once again diminish your standing in the community (yes this means respect).

5) What happens on the Internet stays on the Internet, computers have a long memory and things you regret saying will, in type, be searchable and haunting for a long long time."

As a PS, you could be sued.

Lohring Miller

#290 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

There are lots of sites that are civil and moderated to varying degrees. The whole appeal of SA is that anything goes.

Anyone who can't accept that should HTFU and show the rest of us some tits.

#291 Bill's Sock Puppet

Bill's Sock Puppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

5) What happens on the Internet stays on the Internet, computers have a long memory and things you regret saying will, in type, be searchable and haunting for a long long time."

Ah, so this is why the search function for SA doesn't work anymore?

#292 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

I love thisse clppe.....

You calle me Snaggey.

#293 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

....me's noticed a fair difference since I claimed my name this year,,

.........both in my own post-content,,as well as other's towards me,a bit.

.....certainly the whole board's tone would change if more did it,,though I'm not sure if the policy should be enforced,per se.

....there -is- a certain 'joy' to all the sockmonkey babble! :mellow:

#294 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

While I enjoy humor and spirited discussions as much as anyone, this forum is seriously out of control.  Paying attention to these remarks from a moderator in another forum would go a long way toward improving the experience here.

"I have noted that the forums have an interesting dynamic to them. First the good, there are so many really great boaters willing to share their knowledge and experience with everyone. I personally have learned so much over the last couple of years that I hardly know where to start. Any time I have a question, thought or observation I have posted it here and gotten some really great feedback. That is the essence of what this is all about and the general culture of our fellow hobbyist.

There is also a really dark side to these forums (not just [forum name]but the others as well). For some reason being online gives people a license to ignore all basic social contracts. The courtesies and tolerances we would normally extend to our fellow boaters are lost and at times people become very vicious and self serving. Without consideration for the other person, people will comment in ways that they would never do in person. Further it can create an environment where the mob mentality rules. I have seen and experienced situations where someone will offer their opinion or advice and they are attacked and ridiculed for it. I myself offered some insight into some of the things I am doing with my boats and I had people I didn't know jump into the conversation and literally attack my ideas. You do not have to agree with anyone's opinions for sure but you certainly owe your fellow boaters some respect.

Here are what a couple of ways I think everyone could benefit from when posting on these sites;

1) Always respect your fellow boater, you may not agree with them and you are welcome to post your own idea but never attack, belittle or diminish their ideas. They are trying to help boaters just like you.

2) Avoid the MOB mentality. If there is a heated discussion taking place and you do not have anything positive to ADD to the conversation then refrain from posting. This take a lot of discipline because everyone wants to express their opinion. However if you do not have a horse in the race you have no business on the track.

3) If you have a disagreement with someone take it offline. No one makes any friends or gains respect by arguing in a public venue. Most differences can be solved with a simple direct conversation. In most cases a phone call (where social contracts seem to come back in to play) will yield a resolution quickly and not let it get out of hand.

4) Remember this is a community, therefore you have a responsibility to your fellow boater. Everyone wants to help and be recognized for the things that they do or know. If you engage in a posts that take that from them you once again diminish your standing in the community (yes this means respect).

Lohring Miller

You should consult Wofsey on this.

#295 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Nube's, always reaching for the wheel to correct the power slide.

#296 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:Thistle #3130

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

I am...

...Slartibartfast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users