3 replies to this topic

#1 oceaneer

oceaneer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:racing, fast cruising,
    Vintage cars, Large diesels, steam things...

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Ok, So advice on what sheets to get.. 

Seems like there is a mountain of possibilities. 

But I want a cost effective low stretch option.

Has any one used the novabraid product  XLE-Z?... the price is attractive.

And size,, with the new high strength ropes the old size guides go out the window. As as I want it for light wind smaller is better, but what is too small.

FYI its a 1450 Sqft Asym, on a jeanneau SO 44, the sail is 3/4 oz so its a light wind sail.

Thanks 

Oceaneer

#2 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't necessarily get a low stretch sheet for this application- a spinnaker is by its nature stretchy and can fill suddenly by its nature- having a sheet with a bit of give is not a bad idea, especially for a 3/4 oz.

I'm sure others will suggest otherwise. Edit- a quick search shows the line you suggest is a polyester double braid- when you said low stretch I assumed spectra.

#3 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

In a basic double braid, you could use something in the 10mm range. 12 would have more margin and easier on your hands but be heavier and may weigh down the clew in very light conditions. The XLE-Z is available in 10, 11, and 12 mm so I would recommend the 10 or 11mm.

Estar has a load calculator that might make the selection easier.

http://www.bethandev...dcalculator.xls

#4 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

Ok, So advice on what sheets to get.. 

Seems like there is a mountain of possibilities. 

But I want a cost effective low stretch option.

Has any one used the novabraid product  XLE-Z?... the price is attractive.

And size,, with the new high strength ropes the old size guides go out the window. As as I want it for light wind smaller is better, but what is too small.

FYI its a 1450 Sqft Asym, on a jeanneau SO 44, the sail is 3/4 oz so its a light wind sail.

Thanks 

Oceaneer

On a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44 a good all around sheets can be 3/8" (10mm) and the key thing is making saure that whatever you get floats. In my opinion, you can get long ways using 5/16" for light air and that would be the smallest you should go. New England Ropes Flight Line or Marlow Excel Fusion 75 will do an excellent job as they both have a small Dyneema core and hybrid polypropylene covers so they float and are quite strong for their diameter. I assume you have an A-sail, therefore they'll never work as spinnaker guys (you may want to use nothing less than double braid Dyneema for after guys, such as Endura Braid, in case you are flying a symmetrical spinnaker).

Probably 110 ft. should do considering you may want to gybe outside of the headstay. Note: this length may change if you have a bowsprit as the JSP dimensions increases.

Feel free to drop me a note if you need some help selecting the sheets. Needless to say the SA'ers always find a deal at Vela.

Rod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users