• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

In 1990 the ILCA-NA was dead. The office had been pretty much abandoned and that was a result of pretty much nobody involved doing the things necessary to manage the association in any functional manner until there was nothing left to manage. The game really was about dead.

Allan Broadribb had run the class on its 1970s heyday and he saw an opportunity. He wrote up a contract that was totally incentive based whereby if he was able to create a decent sized organization, he could make a comfortable living managing the class.
I was a district officer back then and I shared the same position as everybody else who agreed to do this. Allan's contract pretty much gave him total control of all our nonexistent assets and the only way Allan could make a decent living would be to rebuild the Laser sailing game. We weren't giving away our control of anything because nothing was there to give away.

Allan had to build a class or starve.

Allan rebuilt the class. We had our game back and Allan and Jocelyn found a comfortable level of work and income and kept our game alive ( but slowly shrinking as their initial enthusiasm waned) for nine years.

1999>>>. The Broadribbs announced they had pretty much worn out their enthusiasm and there were some political difficulties that made it impossible for Allan to continue. ( basically, the new builder wasn't real happy with having a management system where the contractor really was not under any controls ... Even though the contractor was doing a workmanlike job at a low price) anyway, a large part of the Broadribb's compensation had always been appreciation by the sailors and builder and they weren't feeling that anymore.
As a Class Vice President, singlehanded sailing addict, and someone who had been there running a district and hosting regattas in the eighties when everything fell apart, I was extremely concerned for my source of my sailing fix.

Eric Faust was working with me in my boat shop back then and our lives consisted of working long hours in the filth and grime of a fiberglass and paint shop to gather funds, closing the place for a few weeks, and heading off to sail in Allan's regattas until we ran out of money.... Repeat

Eric saw an opportunity to get the hell out of the shop, use his college degree ( journalism / advertising based stuff), take my gift for organizing and promoting the sailing game out of Texas' tiny market, and go make a living running the Laser Game.

So we did it. We used the same contract as Allan wrote and started building up the membership levels so we could make our plan work.

We were made for the job and the job was made for guys like us. We love playing in sailboats. We love writing about sailing. Pretty much, our job was to convince people to come play with us and the more people we could convince to play the more money we made and the more fun we had playing.
Everybody was getting exactly what everybody wanted.
Eric saw an opportunity to try another gig with the J-24 class and left me with a pretty well organized set up. With help from various others and my own new skills I managed the operation as the growth of the Class and the game continued to accelerate.

The sales of new Lasers, which was under 500 per year in the last of Allan's years was over 1100 in 2002. As we received Builder funding matching one year of membership per new boat, increased sales were a major part of my plan for funding the grand plan of populating the planet with Laser fleets and regattas.
My best guess was by 2005 the class would have
grown to over 5000 members and caused new boat sales to really accelerate.
I believed then as I do now that a well run class is the only tool necessary to cause another boom in sailing.

Everything about Laser sailing is better than it was on the seventies, better boats, better rigs, better sails, better shore facilities, better clothing, better vehicles, better roads, bettervtrailers, Seitech dollies, HIKING PANTS, the Internet, cell phones, and reliable RCBoats. I thought new boat sales would rise again to at least 10,000 new boats a year and stay at that level as long as somebody who did the things that had to be done ran the class.
Then we elected new officers. The new officers thought as elected officials they should be in control of the class office and its operation.

That was not the deal I had. That was not the deal we set up with Allan.

The officer's deal with the manager for the previous eleven years had been, "Run the operation and don't call me at work to tell me about problems."

Considering the class and game were growing when EVERY other sailing class was shrinking, I couldn't imagine why anybody would be crazy enough to risk losing me as the guy who was probably causing the boom.

Others sure didn't see it that way. Others thought they should run the operation. Others thought the money I was causing to come onto the class office should be controlled by the elected officers. As elected officials, those others decided to take over and run things their way.

I was pissed I had spent three years not paying myself and reinvesting in a "business" that was being taken from me before I could cash in on my investment.
And... I am entirely incapable of working for somebody else who thinks he gets to be my boss.

So we had a pissed off guy who was finishing out his contract and still doing the job at full speed ( over 400 new members, attended three regattas, and published a quarterly newsletter published in the final month) and new officers who were frustrated because the guy they thought was their employee wouldn't give up control until his contract to do things another way expired.

We would have made it to the end of my contract and on through life as friends but three things happened:
1. Tim Landt published and distributed an entirely false paper saying I was misappropriating class funds and should be caused to repay over $75,000.
2. Ryan Minth appointed Tim Landt, who had not been forced to retract his false accusations and apologize before ever sailing in another Laser event, to a position on Ryan's new Executive Committee.
3. The officers and builder conspired to cut off all funding from the builder and advertisers to the office I was under contract to run.

On July 31, 2002 at midnight I closed the Austin class office, loaded up everything that belonged to the ILCA-NA and took it to the sandwich shop in Annapolis where James Appel was scheduled to begin running the operation sometime in October 2002.

The new executive committee which included current class president Tracy Usher decided the Class should not meet its financial obligations as described in my contract and failed to pay contracted funds I claim to be around $20,000 .

I was not and am not rich enough to forgive people who steal $20,000 from me. I am still pissed.

Since 2002 the class has been run by an executive committee that looks at spending and carefully controls the organization. The class has not had the same incentive based contract with its manager who is now simply a secretary who handles nothing but the technical day to day operations. Promotion and incentive rewards for successful promotion were removed from
the executive secretary's necessary tasks for survival.
The boom I was greedily designing and causing to happen never materialized. Class membership
dropped off dramatically and has never again come close to the over 3100 we had when the new Executives took over.
New boat sales, regatta attendance, and membership levels have never again rivaled the success the game had when we farmed out everything to either the Broadribbs or me.

Summary: I thought I had a deal. I thought I delivered from my end better than anyone imagined. Others wanted to try something they felt was better . I fought against their plan. We all got pissed. Nasty things we all regret were said were said. My deal and its plan was terminated. Their plan has been a miserable failure. I am still pissed.
I remain frustrated that even after ten years nobody in charge is willing to simply admit, "This new way sucks and doesn't work as well as the old way we threw out."

The reason I still start threads like this is NOT to get myself back in charge. There is no way in hell I can risk my measly personal fortune on another run at the goal line.
The $20,000 is only part if what those three years cost me. The total it cost me to set up, do the job, and reopen my mothballed business after was more like $100,000 to $200,000 and very little of that which was spent offers continued benefit to me or will ever be recovered .
So I am pissed every time I look at my personal finances.
What I want is for the world of sailing to LOOK at what I did and why it worked and copy all the wonderfully successful things we did so we the next ten years we can create another boom in the game of small boat sailing.

My way worked. The new way doesn't. NOBODY else has caused an old shrinking sailing association to even stop shrinking. I made the laser game damn near double in size in three years. Doesn't anybody wonder how? Why? Want to do even better? Why isn't the sailing world begging me daily to explain what we did so we can at least have as much success as I caused with my methods???

If you can't stand me, go ask Allan. I based my plan on what he beat into my head. He was doing most of what I did and all I really did was copy everything he did and add more of my own similar stuff.

But

At some point all the people running sailing on North America simply have to look at their pathetic results and admit, "We do not know how to make the game prosper."

The folks in charge and the sailors themselves MUST at some point quit working at making excuses and realize, "Nothing is different today than in 1999. The Laser Class membership grew every month in the months surrounding everybody's favorite excuse.... 9-11. Sailing is a great game and that is why we play it. We just need to invite others to join in and them facilitate their entry and then keep the new guys around."

Or we can continue the same old slow crappy composting of what was once a growing game.

Damn tootin' I am still pissed but it has nothing to do with wanting to be in charge.

I hate being in charge. I just want to go play.

But absolutely the root of all my bitterness is:

Had I not been stopped, there would have bern another 10 ,000 new Laser sold in NA this year.

Some of the 50,000 who bought Lasers since 2002 would have bought new J-70s this year.

Others would have bought Optis for their kids and Beneteau 34s for family weekends.

The fleets on the US and Canada would be the largest in the world and our sailors would be favored for all the sailing medals in the next Olympics.

I could find at least three 100 boat regattas within a days drive in which to play this year.

My office would now run not just the Laser class but also serve as a one design classes communal headquarters serving the sailing game by gathering and disseminating information for multiple other classes. Many of those classes would be experiencing booms of their own as Laser sailors in search of other sailing fun had stepped into other Dinghies and keelboats.

The way I see it, everybody lost in 2002 and everybody continues to lose

That's why I have not "let it go."

I still have my hopes

Sailing is a wonderfully fun game.

I am going sailing in ten minutes and I won't come back to shore until after dark

It sure would be more fun with 100 other Lasers

Phooey!!!

#2 LMI

LMI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:cruising

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

In 1990 the ILCA-NA was dead. The office had been pretty much abandoned and that was a result of pretty much nobody involved doing the things necessary to manage the association in any functional manner until there was nothing left to manage. The game really was about dead.

Allan Broadribb had run the class on its 1970s heyday and he saw an opportunity. He wrote up a contract that was totally incentive based whereby if he was able to create a decent sized organization, he could make a comfortable living managing the class.
I was a district officer back then and I shared the same position as everybody else who agreed to do this. Allan's contract pretty much gave him total control of all our nonexistent assets and the only way Allan could make a decent living would be to rebuild the Laser sailing game. We weren't giving away our control of anything because nothing was there to give away.

Allan had to build a class or starve.

Allan rebuilt the class. We had our game back and Allan and Jocelyn found a comfortable level of work and income and kept our game alive ( but slowly shrinking as their initial enthusiasm waned) for nine years.

1999>>>. The Broadribbs announced they had pretty much worn out their enthusiasm and there were some political difficulties that made it impossible for Allan to continue. ( basically, the new builder wasn't real happy with having a management system where the contractor really was not under any controls ... Even though the contractor was doing a workmanlike job at a low price) anyway, a large part of the Broadribb's compensation had always been appreciation by the sailors and builder and they weren't feeling that anymore.
As a Class Vice President, singlehanded sailing addict, and someone who had been there running a district and hosting regattas in the eighties when everything fell apart, I was extremely concerned for my source of my sailing fix.

Eric Faust was working with me in my boat shop back then and our lives consisted of working long hours in the filth and grime of a fiberglass and paint shop to gather funds, closing the place for a few weeks, and heading off to sail in Allan's regattas until we ran out of money.... Repeat

Eric saw an opportunity to get the hell out of the shop, use his college degree ( journalism / advertising based stuff), take my gift for organizing and promoting the sailing game out of Texas' tiny market, and go make a living running the Laser Game.

So we did it. We used the same contract as Allan wrote and started building up the membership levels so we could make our plan work.

We were made for the job and the job was made for guys like us. We love playing in sailboats. We love writing about sailing. Pretty much, our job was to convince people to come play with us and the more people we could convince to play the more money we made and the more fun we had playing.
Everybody was getting exactly what everybody wanted.
Eric saw an opportunity to try another gig with the J-24 class and left me with a pretty well organized set up. With help from various others and my own new skills I managed the operation as the growth of the Class and the game continued to accelerate.

The sales of new Lasers, which was under 500 per year in the last of Allan's years was over 1100 in 2002. As we received Builder funding matching one year of membership per new boat, increased sales were a major part of my plan for funding the grand plan of populating the planet with Laser fleets and regattas.
My best guess was by 2005 the class would have
grown to over 5000 members and caused new boat sales to really accelerate.
I believed then as I do now that a well run class is the only tool necessary to cause another boom in sailing.

Everything about Laser sailing is better than it was on the seventies, better boats, better rigs, better sails, better shore facilities, better clothing, better vehicles, better roads, bettervtrailers, Seitech dollies, HIKING PANTS, the Internet, cell phones, and reliable RCBoats. I thought new boat sales would rise again to at least 10,000 new boats a year and stay at that level as long as somebody who did the things that had to be done ran the class.
Then we elected new officers. The new officers thought as elected officials they should be in control of the class office and its operation.

That was not the deal I had. That was not the deal we set up with Allan.

The officer's deal with the manager for the previous eleven years had been, "Run the operation and don't call me at work to tell me about problems."

Considering the class and game were growing when EVERY other sailing class was shrinking, I couldn't imagine why anybody would be crazy enough to risk losing me as the guy who was probably causing the boom.

Others sure didn't see it that way. Others thought they should run the operation. Others thought the money I was causing to come onto the class office should be controlled by the elected officers. As elected officials, those others decided to take over and run things their way.

I was pissed I had spent three years not paying myself and reinvesting in a "business" that was being taken from me before I could cash in on my investment.
And... I am entirely incapable of working for somebody else who thinks he gets to be my boss.

So we had a pissed off guy who was finishing out his contract and still doing the job at full speed ( over 400 new members, attended three regattas, and published a quarterly newsletter published in the final month) and new officers who were frustrated because the guy they thought was their employee wouldn't give up control until his contract to do things another way expired.

We would have made it to the end of my contract and on through life as friends but three things happened:
1. Tim Landt published and distributed an entirely false paper saying I was misappropriating class funds and should be caused to repay over $75,000.
2. Ryan Minth appointed Tim Landt, who had not been forced to retract his false accusations and apologize before ever sailing in another Laser event, to a position on Ryan's new Executive Committee.
3. The officers and builder conspired to cut off all funding from the builder and advertisers to the office I was under contract to run.

On July 31, 2002 at midnight I closed the Austin class office, loaded up everything that belonged to the ILCA-NA and took it to the sandwich shop in Annapolis where James Appel was scheduled to begin running the operation sometime in October 2002.

The new executive committee which included current class president Tracy Usher decided the Class should not meet its financial obligations as described in my contract and failed to pay contracted funds I claim to be around $20,000 .

I was not and am not rich enough to forgive people who steal $20,000 from me. I am still pissed.

Since 2002 the class has been run by an executive committee that looks at spending and carefully controls the organization. The class has not had the same incentive based contract with its manager who is now simply a secretary who handles nothing but the technical day to day operations. Promotion and incentive rewards for successful promotion were removed from
the executive secretary's necessary tasks for survival.
The boom I was greedily designing and causing to happen never materialized. Class membership
dropped off dramatically and has never again come close to the over 3100 we had when the new Executives took over.
New boat sales, regatta attendance, and membership levels have never again rivaled the success the game had when we farmed out everything to either the Broadribbs or me.

Summary: I thought I had a deal. I thought I delivered from my end better than anyone imagined. Others wanted to try something they felt was better . I fought against their plan. We all got pissed. Nasty things we all regret were said were said. My deal and its plan was terminated. Their plan has been a miserable failure. I am still pissed.
I remain frustrated that even after ten years nobody in charge is willing to simply admit, "This new way sucks and doesn't work as well as the old way we threw out."

The reason I still start threads like this is NOT to get myself back in charge. There is no way in hell I can risk my measly personal fortune on another run at the goal line.
The $20,000 is only part if what those three years cost me. The total it cost me to set up, do the job, and reopen my mothballed business after was more like $100,000 to $200,000 and very little of that which was spent offers continued benefit to me or will ever be recovered .
So I am pissed every time I look at my personal finances.
What I want is for the world of sailing to LOOK at what I did and why it worked and copy all the wonderfully successful things we did so we the next ten years we can create another boom in the game of small boat sailing.

My way worked. The new way doesn't. NOBODY else has caused an old shrinking sailing association to even stop shrinking. I made the laser game damn near double in size in three years. Doesn't anybody wonder how? Why? Want to do even better? Why isn't the sailing world begging me daily to explain what we did so we can at least have as much success as I caused with my methods???

If you can't stand me, go ask Allan. I based my plan on what he beat into my head. He was doing most of what I did and all I really did was copy everything he did and add more of my own similar stuff.

But

At some point all the people running sailing on North America simply have to look at their pathetic results and admit, "We do not know how to make the game prosper."

The folks in charge and the sailors themselves MUST at some point quit working at making excuses and realize, "Nothing is different today than in 1999. The Laser Class membership grew every month in the months surrounding everybody's favorite excuse.... 9-11. Sailing is a great game and that is why we play it. We just need to invite others to join in and them facilitate their entry and then keep the new guys around."

Or we can continue the same old slow crappy composting of what was once a growing game.

Damn tootin' I am still pissed but it has nothing to do with wanting to be in charge.

I hate being in charge. I just want to go play.

But absolutely the root of all my bitterness is:

Had I not been stopped, there would have bern another 10 ,000 new Laser sold in NA this year.

Some of the 50,000 who bought Lasers since 2002 would have bought new J-70s this year.

Others would have bought Optis for their kids and Beneteau 34s for family weekends.

The fleets on the US and Canada would be the largest in the world and our sailors would be favored for all the sailing medals in the next Olympics.

I could find at least three 100 boat regattas within a days drive in which to play this year.

My office would now run not just the Laser class but also serve as a one design classes communal headquarters serving the sailing game by gathering and disseminating information for multiple other classes. Many of those classes would be experiencing booms of their own as Laser sailors in search of other sailing fun had stepped into other Dinghies and keelboats.

The way I see it, everybody lost in 2002 and everybody continues to lose

That's why I have not "let it go."

I still have my hopes

Sailing is a wonderfully fun game.

I am going sailing in ten minutes and I won't come back to shore until after dark

It sure would be more fun with 100 other Lasers

Phooey!!!

Are you saying they stole $20,000 from you?

#3 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

All that and the only part you chose to comment about is the measly $20,000 bucks??

That was not intended to be the focus. The focus really needs to be on looking at what was so successful that it caused the one class on the world that was not shrinking to GROW evoery month for three years.
We need to reverse engineer the product and do it again ourselves!!!!

But you asked and I should answer
OK.. I used "steal from" and that is a tad rough.
"Stole" would not be the best possible term either.
I never had the dough on my hand. Deprived or something like that is probably a better word. You gotta understand "screwed" is more appropriate. I am really trying to be nice and forgiving and all that. It's not not kumbayah but I am honestly restraining myself a lot.

The conspirators worked to inform some who would normally have made payments to the Class my employment was to terminate July 31, and those creditors were encouraged to withhold payment until after I no longer would have access to the funds.
I was unaware of the conspiracy and continued to perform my job to the best of my ability until the contract expired.

In fact after July 31, as James Appel had not yet quit his full time job at Vanguard and set up a new office in Annapolis, I continued to process memberships and mail out membership cards, and welcome to the class kits complete with bumper stickers. The Class grew to 3146 members before I finally sent our class membership files off to be ignored until October.

Stole, as on put it in their personal pockets, is the wrong Word and suggests the wrong concept. A group of people, representing a new executive committee of the ILCA-NA conspired to deprive me of access to funds with which I could have properly paid myself for services rendered under a contract that predated their affiliation with the management of that association. They worked to violate a contract they did not sign and may not have even read.

I did NOT file a lawsuit as the lawyers who advised me felt that suit whether successful or not would only serve to further destroy the association, many friendships, and the game I had just spent years of my life building.

Repeating, I am pissed about the fact nobody vigorously defended my honor with respect to the lies published by Landt. I am frustrated the game was severely damaged and the membership fell to under half where I worked so hard to build it.

There were at least a thousand people NOT eligible for sailing Lasers on 2004 who were paid members in 2002

..... Which goes back to why I am trying to explain today that the battle of 2002 was first about how the class should be managed and degenerated into an unfortunate shitfight where good friends became lifelong enemies.

Maybe someday those friendships can be rebuilt.

In the meantime, it sure would be great for the sport if we could all study those methods I used to successfully turn the game from a slowly shrinking thing to a growing prospering thing.

And

Implement the best of the policies again so we can all go play in huge fleets again.

So how about if we all focus on building the friendships and the game ?

How can we make the game work so well I get to change my signature ??

How many years are we willing to handicap our management because some people think it is important not to do anything Fred ever did or follow any of his suggestions ???

I sure love big fleets.

Don 't you??

#4 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

......Gouv,,it's really hard to see that the OP is meant to be a constructive 'reverse engineering' exercise :mellow:

....comes-off more like another sour-grapes rant........juss'ayin!! 

#5 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Someone might call thst revisionist history

#6 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Someone might call thst revisionist history

I was being overly nice but I really do want the class guys to be willing to try doing some of the things I considered to be, "if we fail to do this we won't have as many members and sailors."

They aren't doing a lot of things I consider critical

And WE DO NOT pay Sherri anywhere enough to EXPECT her to do those tasks.

I believe the only way the game will ever prosper again is if we let young enthusiastic wild eyed kids take it over and let them screw up or do great.

The sooner we pass it on to the kids, the more remaining energy old men like Tracy and Faust will have left to come dig out those don't get it right.

The current ILCA -NA president is the oldest president ever to take office and he replaced the oldest geezer ever to hold the job.

A person looking at Laser Class management would properly assume no one under 45 is deemed worthy of management.

I think anyone over 40 is too damned old to manage a vibrant youth game

#7 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

......Gouv,,it's really hard to see that the OP is meant to be a constructive 'reverse engineering' exercise :mellow:

....comes-off more like another sour-grapes rant........juss'ayin!! 

The only reason to reverse engineer is you don't have access to the original plans. I am here and have been trying to help for thirty years.

The reverse engineering comment was the alternative if there remains some sort of personal problem such that the guys running the class cannot accept my direct help

Sour grapes is a lousy analogy.
That analogy would go with "the job was a lousy one do I didn't want it anyway."

My top shelf gripe from before I was even tossed out has always been, " but there are things that must be done to make the game prosper and nobody is doing them or even showing me a plan to do those things."

I ONLY took over Allan's position because I knew, from experiencing the late eighties , how bad things would become if we stopped properly supporting the game

I did those things for three more years and the game flourished during that time

Then the new guys , who didn't ask either Allan or me what it was we were doing, FAILED to do the most important things and the game fell off.

I am screaming and have been screaming since the eighties that we must either do certain things or the game will wither.

I did things>> the game grew

Other folks didn't do those things>> the game shrunk

Why is it so many keep believing my motivation is anything other than my wish we could have large fleets ???

Even if I have other motivations?? Why would you care??

Lets find our common ground >>> we love big fleets.

Then lets take action>>> what was going on when the class grew to over 3100 members??

Really>> it can't be)>>> the class grew because Fred is an unbearable asshole nobody can stand

Really>> unless you believe my being a super huge asshole was the sole reason every class and every fleet I have touched in my life has grown , perhaps it is time to see just what the asshole did that was so effective people came to play even in spite of the fact they may have had to put up with me to partake.

The way I see it, if I am an unbearable asshole, my methods must have been sufficiently superior to compensate for the fact I caused everybody when encountered me to partially puke.

Lets go your way!!!

Running the class well can be accomplished by the dumbest laziest most obnoxious person on the planet while he personally steals huge amounts of money from the accounts.

Think how well a bunch of bright, enthusiastic, charismatic, honest people could do by using the same systems properly???!!?!
Why don't you advocate for doing what the lazy good for nothing thieving dumbass did and add your brilliance and charisma and the next boom in sailing will absolutely result

Certainly you can do better than that asshole who did the job before!!! Certainly you are smarter than the guy who grew the class to 3100.

Certainly you can steal more and still have more left over to support the mission than the incompetent asshole

I mean how utterly embarrassing can if be to be an officer of the ILCA -NA and know you are doing a worse job than that asshole useless thieving piece of crap who made the class damn near double in size in three short years.??

Took over a large class in North America and ran it while it shrunk.

What kind of resume is that??

who would hire such an individual??

So, do it already.

#8 LMI

LMI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:cruising

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Most people stop digging when they find themselves in a hole. Some do not even realize they are in a hole.

Wrong then. Wrong now. Could not accept the class vote then. Can't accept the class vote now.

Still wanting to tell everyone else how to spend their money. Your way or the highway.

Maybe if you slander enough people here and Kirby wins he will reward your loyalty.

LOL, like that will ever happen.

Later BQ.

#9 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

Most people stop digging when they find themselves in a hole. Some do not even realize they are in a hole.

Wrong then. Wrong now. Could not accept the class vote then. Can't accept the class vote now.

Still wanting to tell everyone else how to spend
their money. Your way or the highway.

Maybe if you slander enough people here and Kirby wins he will reward your loyalty.

LOL, like that will ever happen.

Later BQ.

WTF are you on about??
I have never been at odds with anyone for a single second about how the class spends or has spent its money.
The class dues and builder funding (they used to get but LP does not provide) is not sufficient to send out membership reminders, process memberships, send out cards, create newsletters, publish those newsletters, distribute those newsletters, and pay international dues.

Sherri does all the related work for a bargain basement price and that pretty much consumes the class funds.

During my term we increased revenues by adding 1400 new members and we increased advertising revenue a bit but the Class never had a sufficient amount of income to perform its basic duties and pay me to run the office.

That is why I underpaid myself versus the management contract by nearly $100,000 during the duration of my service as Class Secretary. There simply wasn't enough money to pay all the necessary class expenses and get paid.

#################

Refocusing on your absurd note above, with minor exceptions about things like whether it is a good idea to have a postage meter, or whether we should kick back funds to support district secretaries, I never advocated spending class funds differently than anyone else has.

My differences with the class management after I left have to do with how we work with our regatta hosts, how we treat members who quit, how we treat fleet captains, what we publish in newsletters, what should be on the website, and things of that sort.

I differ with the class officers in that as an extremely enthusiastic and interested class volunteer officer BEFORE I attempted to fill Allan's shoes I never had the time properly accomplish the missions the new officers assigned to themselves. I chose to farm out work to a contractor that our officers since that time do not reliably accomplish.

I would set up a manager with a highly incentivized contract such that the contractor would be compelled to either cause the class to flourish or starve.

Sherri is a nice person but she won't starve if she fails. I want somebody whose ability to make house payments and keep the water turned on hinges on publishing the next newsletter
And
Who cannot afford a new Laser unless more members join the class.

I think the shiny newsletter would be a great once a year publication but the class needs to disseminate information and there simply are not enough column inches in those shiny newsletters to tell sailors where to play, with whom, when, how to get toys, how to maintain toys, who else is playing , how much fun those others are having, and whatever it takes to compelle anyone who picks up a magazine to join the fun.

LMI, you accuse me of opposing the will of the elected officers ?
In what way??
Do they hate large fleets?? He'll no!! They love large fleets!
Do they hate it when former sailors return??
Do they hate it when new sailors join?
Do they oppose telling others how to get involved?
Do they oppose working to make newbies feel welcome??
I think we all want the same thing and have different ideas about how best to accomplish the task.
In fact I honestly believe I have silent so much more time and energy increasing about how best to get people into sailing than possibly anyone ever that
Despite my limited intelligence and skills I might have some very special ideas and a very special skill set for implementing those ideas.
Is there really any good reason to entirely blow off the suggestions of someone who tries as hard and cares as much as I do??
I am not god. I can't force you to hold rational polite discussions with me. You don't have to listen or pay attention at all.
But
Is your closed mind helping more sailors to join the fun??
It has been eleven years since the ILCA-NA policy makers decided they needed to do things without any contribution from me what do ever.
They lost almost half the sailors and the results of their policies show no signs of fostering the sort of success we all enjoyed under my management .
How long does the sailing community need to extend a trial period for this new regime ??

I sense some sort of personal difficulty with me. You insist on calling me a bitter quitter despite the fact I have hung in and supported the Laser game for well over thirty years.
Am I frustrated the class officers do not seem interested in focusing on that which I believe is incredibly important?? Hell yes!!
Have I continued for eleven years to sway them toward that which I feel is a better path?? Hell yes!

It seems you would like me to quit .

How do you propose to make the game grow??

How does your plan differ from mine??

How much effort measured in personal hours and personal dollars have you spent in the last ten years trying to organize and promote sailing??

Have you ever served as a fleet captain?
Do you do RC duty ?
Have you ben a district secretary for any class?? Which ones?
Have you served as a class officer?? Which classes and for how long?
Have you hosted any regattas?
Have you taught new sailors?
Have you loaned boats to people?
Have you given parts, sails and / or boats to anyone?
Do you or have you served on any yacht club boards? Committees?
Have you built docks? Maintained RC boats? Maintained junior program boats?
Do you ever bring coolers full of beverages or feed your fleet?
Do you organize or host fleet a party in the off season?

If you are going to call me quitter you damn certain better have a longer list of yes answers than I do.

My guess is you have not done as much in your life to build the game as I have done in the last month.
My partial June 2013 list.
1: organized a first race experience for three people on three separate boats. All three came back the next week.
2. Convinced five people to fill out applications to join AYC ( 13 if you include spouses and kids)
3. Put all new lines on a fleet of Optis and a fleet of Flying Juniors
4. Pulled a grounded boat off a shoal and convinced the sailors onboard to visit the AYC to see if they fit in.
5. Provided beer and water to the entire Wednesday night sailing group. ( I was the guy who started Wednesday night sailing in Austin but I don't take credit this month for the fifty sailors who made it out on June to a program that possibly never would have happened if I hadn't started it)
6. Took a team of new sailors to lunch so we could discuss broaching and how not to next time
7. Replaced all the dock lines on an old codger's boat because his boat was banging on the dock and I know he is just too fragged to bend over and do it himself
8. Stopped my powerboat next to a turtled catamaran. Offered to help. Dropped my anchor. swam to his boat. Showed him how to right it . Jumped on and sailed around for an hour to teach him some fundamentals and then went back to my own play.
9. Tuned up a total stranger fellow's keelboat rig and taught him how to do it himself .... Because I was doing an estimate on the boat two slips over and noticed his rig looked wierd as he sailed out of his slip .

I guess if I am a quitter, you must have done more??
I can't wait to see your list.

I wonder, how much deeper did I dig myself in with this post. I may never get out!!!

#10 Todesfisch

Todesfisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Flying
    Sailing
    Mathematics
    Whatever

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

Loyalty to one's self seems the dominant theme.

This is human nature, and needs no justification.

#11 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Most ignore him tough he is a good laugh

#12 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

And others, like me, know him a little better than you and realize he has a legitimate gripe. It's not about Fred, it's about the sport of Laser sailing and how no one else seems to give a shit about it; you included. Most people I know in the Laser community do not, in fact, ignore him.

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

How's the class doing now?  

Gouv, do you have membership numbers for the years between then and now?

#14 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

And others, like me, know him a little better than you and realize he has a legitimate gripe. It's not about Fred, it's about the sport of Laser sailing and how no one else seems to give a shit about it; you included. Most people I know in the Laser community do not, in fact, ignore him.

Agreed.  I worked with him in the 90's when I was promoting the fleet here in OK.  He was, and is, about the sailing.

#15 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Im sure in your pond that is true but not at a national level

#16 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Really? What "national level" would it be that you're talking about? Have you ever sailed an event that Fred had anything to do with? Seeing that you're 27 years old tells me no. How would you know? In 1990 you were 4; a little early to know much about the Laser scene. It doesn't take much to realize 3100 registered Laser sailors is a far cry from what we have today. Next Easter come sail in Austin and then tell me what you think.

#17 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

How's the class doing now?  

Gouv, do you have membership numbers for the years between then and now?

The numbers dropped way down while James was holding the secretary job but ha and I agree it was mostly caused by confusion among those controlling him. Maybe it got down to under 1000.

Since Sherri took over the numbers seem to run up and down between 1700 and 2300 but I could have missed some.

The stars are all there in the laser.org newsletter files.

I clearly inderstand I am the only guy on the planet who believes it would be relatively simple to get North American new boat sales back over 1000 per year and not impossible to exceed 10,000 per year forever onward.

I believe we have a great game called sailboat racing and the ONLY thing stopping a boom in the game is the fact nobody knows how easily and inexpensively they can get into the sport,

Thev typical guy on the street thinks sailing clubs are unwelcoming elitist expensive institutions. The fact is every club on the pldnet openly welcomes guys just like me.

Sailing clubs are welcoming places with people eager to get newbies out on the game course.

All we need to do is disseminate information about the game DBS invite invite invite invite invite and
We must have a stock of ready to use play toys the newbies can purchase with payment plans.

I see the first and foremost reason we have classes and ZuSSailing and ISAF is to organize the sport

The first step of organizing any party is to set up a place to play ( the water is already there) and then to invite everybody to come join the fun.

I don't give a shut about making up new mark rounding rules and setting ratings for huge expensive toys until we have a crowded course and need those rules and ratings for all the boats.

The NAKaser class grew while I ran it because I spent all my waking hours doing my best to gather people to play WITH ME!!!

Yes I dm s selfish guy. I want to play in big fleets and I will and have always spent every available penny I could find on making my game more fun for me.

I justify my selfishness by telling myself, "sailing is great. The only people who don't love sailing are those who never had s chance to learn how."

So, I feel no remorse about dragging people into the game. I am doing them a favor.

Unfortunately I become annoyed with those who presume to tell me how I ought to go about my recruiting.... Especially those shop don't spend major time doing do themselves.

Summary: I want to play, and I assume everybody else wants to play

#18 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Next Easter come sail in Austin and then tell me what you think.

Vwap,

Let me second that invitation. In fact, if you can't afford a rent car, I will make certain you get a ride from the airport, you can sleep in the shop mancave, and I will find a willing owner who will loan you a boat for the weekend.

#19 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Really? What "national level" would it be that you're talking about? Have you ever sailed an event that Fred had anything to do with? Seeing that you're 27 years old tells me no. How would you know? In 1990 you were 4; a little early to know much about the Laser scene. It doesn't take much to realize 3100 registered Laser sailors is a far cry from what we have today. Next Easter come sail in Austin and then tell me what you think.

Family member owned a dealer at one time. Dit that regatta twice no need to ever go back. You might try racing in other venues some time and meet others

#20 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Next Easter come sail in Austin and then tell me what you think.

Vwap,

Let me second that invitation. In fact, if you can't afford a rent car, I will make certain you get a ride from the airport, you can sleep in the shop mancave, and I will find a willing owner who will loan you a boat for the weekend.

Have not seen any results for the past few years. Does anyone show up anymore.
Please provide link to results
TIA

#21 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I have been downright slovenly about posting the results for this year . They are on some other Texas laser website but I don't know which one.

Easter Laser is a fun regatta on a tiny puddle.

Your posts indicate a certain hostility. I sense mere posts on a forum are going to be insufficient to work out whatever it is that causes you to find me a less than worthy human .

As I was hoping this could develop into a discussion about how to rebuild all boat sailing I would rather not continue this personal discussion here

Should we ever meet in person (again?) we probably ought to sit down for a couple hours and work out whatever differences we seem to have.

#22 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Gouv:

If you want to tell everyone how you did it, write it up clearly and send it to me so I can post it on the front page.  And do a little editing, willya?

#23 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

It's more encyclopedia length. Allan Briadribb developed a bunch of systems and decided certain things were important. I spent months in the phone, many dinners at regattas and read lots of Allan's letters for ten years. Then in 1999 I didn't two weeks at the Broadribb's house studying under the master himself .

Then I spent three years doing my best to follow what I almost learned.

Briefly, the philosophy is gather information and disseminate it.

The long version is the encyclopedia .

I totally appreciate your thoughts but your request is sorta like the ISAF asking you to write a paper about why SA works better than scuttlebutt.

But I will try

#24 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have been downright slovenly about posting the results for this year . They are on some other Texas laser website but I don't know which one.

Easter Laser is a fun regatta on a tiny puddle.

Your posts indicate a certain hostility. I sense mere posts on a forum are going to be insufficient to work out whatever it is that causes you to find me a less than worthy human .

As I was hoping this could develop into a discussion about how to rebuild all boat sailing I would rather not continue this personal discussion here

Should we ever meet in person (again?) we probably ought to sit down for a couple hours and work out whatever differences we seem to have.

Lst year or the year before would be nice or a simple how many boats this year.

Tia

#25 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

2012 about 40, 2013 a few less.

#26 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

So a local dealership puts you on a national level somehow? Please explain. Tried to sail the Gulf Coast Masters last year in Ft Walton: six boats showed. Tried to sail the North American Championships in Galveston last year: 10 boats showed for a national championship! That's the whole point to this thread. The class is dying.

Family member owned a dealer at one time. Dit that regatta twice no need to ever go back. You might try racing in other venues some time and meet others

#27 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

guv, maybe more people would give a shit if they didnt have to read a rambling 10 page manifesto.  give us the 3 paragraph version, and if people ask for more details, fill it in

just sayin'

#28 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

So a local dealership puts you on a national level somehow? Please explain. Tried to sail the Gulf Coast Masters last year in Ft Walton: six boats showed. Tried to sail the North American Championships in Galveston last year: 10 boats showed for a national championship! That's the whole point to this thread. The class is dying.

Local?

2012 about 40, 2013 a few less.

Results?

Tia

#29 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

Local?  So that explains it well.

>2012 about 40, 2013 a few less.

Results? That's Fred domain.

Tia

#30 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Results

Everybody had food, drink, and sailing for two days.
Honestly, who gives a crap about the results other than those who participated. Every one of the participants either picked up a copy of the results before leaving or found them on line within a couple days, they are on the District 15 site and on Pam and Doug's ' site.

But just for you because you are being do sweet and positive and friendly I will post some results on the we page linked below.

We had more boats in 2013 than 2012.

As Texas has lost about 80% of its members since 2002, I am pleasantly surprised how well the regatta has recently been attended.

But this thread isn't about the Easter Regatta. It is about looking at how things were run when the class was grew and discussing whether we ought to try some of the things we were doing when we were achieving better results.

It may be that a myriad of other factors are killing sailing and simply inviting more people to come play and making it easy for them when they show any interest simply cannot save our game.

Or maybe all we need to do is focus on inviting and mentoring new sailors and everything will be boom city in just a couple years.

Do you have an alternative plan or is it just that you feel compelled to remind us all my ideas suck???

#31 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Well lets everyone know what you have done to keep your own district vibrant.

Lets promote your regatta for next year. Please send a link to your Yacht club that ran and supported your event with results . That will be a good place to start.
Thanks for all you are doing.

#32 surf_n_turf

surf_n_turf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Having a good time.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

ILCA-NA District 15 website address is www.laserd15.org

There a handful of men competing in the Gulf Coast Championship in 2012 at TCYC which was mostly juniors.  Might explain why they served nachos, cheese sandwiches, and chicken fingers.  But the beer was free.

#33 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

Vwap,
It's a lame excuse but since 2002, I have found it it very hard to encourage people to pay dues to the ILCA-NA.
There has been a district secretary and a North American class VP in my district the entire time and I have even gone so far as to require ILCA membership to participate in the regatta I host.

O have not had the available personal time to attend many regattas or to serve as a volunteer organizer.

At The beginning of this thread I described lack of sufficient volunteer time as a reason the class hired Allan Broadribb. I was doing the same job then as I do now and I still do not have large amounts of personal time for promotion of the game.
My solution then and now remains the same.
Hire somebody and them help when I can

#34 thengling

thengling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Commodity, Firmness, and Delight

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

>guv, maybe more people would give a shit if they didnt have to read a rambling 10 page manifesto

I haven't been around SA very long, but long enough to notice that 9 times out of 10 Gouv is quick & to the point.  A "ten [sic] page manifesto" then, should it suddenly appear out of the blue, carefully crafted and free of the usual typos, seems to be worth reading in its entirety.

I regret not having tried those shores when I lived in the vicinity

#35 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

I've raced the Easter Laser Regatta for the last ten years,  I had a great time at every one of them.  Here is a link to a write up on the 06 Easter Laser Regatta.  David Luckenbach (rest in peace) gives a pretty good impression of how good of a regatta it is. 

http://www.sailingte...sterLaser1.html

I could go on and tell about how the Gouv. and others helped save/preserve a lot of out of town sailors boats at the 04 event. When a supercell thunderstorm came through delivering winds up to 70 mph and large golf ball plus sized hail that caused a lot of serious damage to the nearby homes and community. He and other AYC members helped gather up the Lasers (20-30 boats) that were out on the point and brought them under the cover of a retaining wall and live oak trees. Tying them down and making sure they were safe.

Yes, attendance is down and the demographic/management of district 15 has changed quite a bit in the last few (5-7 years).  I went to one of this years district events and not a single Laser was present.  Very few if any Laser sailors are traveling.  Historically the Easter Laser Regatta had 60-70 boats each year.  It won the US Sailing Award for best one design regatta in 2002.

Vwap, here is his website link it has 16 years of results.

http://schrothfiberg....com/easter.htm

The Gouv goes above and beyond when it comes to promoting sailing! That's my two cents.

Fishingmickey

#36 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Tried to sail the North American Championships in Galveston last year: 10 boats showed for a national championship! That's the whole point to this thread. The class is dying.

Not sure what you are talking about but the 2012 North American Championship were at the Gorge and you are off by about 160 boats, take the 4.7 out and it is somewhat over 150.   2002 had a little over 150.

So the North americans your brought up for last year and 2002 are about the same. Do you have some sort of point?

Did I see you at the North Americans this year?

2012 Laser North American Championship
Columbia Gorge Racing Association | July 19-22, 2012

http://www.regattane...regatta_id=5096

Brant Beach Yacht Club
Laser North American Championships Radial Fleet
07/07 - 07/11/2002

http://bbycnj.com/Re...ls=Laser Radial

Brant Beach Yacht Club
Laser North American Championships Full Rig
07/07 - 07/11/2002

http://www.bbycnj.co...Date=2002-07-07

#37 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Maybe others think so but I don't think the game is dying.

It is not growing as is should, says me,  and I believe we have missed the chance to sail with at least 1000  sailors  every year compared to 2002 since 2002. 

It is fabulous the entire 2014 regatta grid is already mostly filled.  I hope next year's hosts are putting on a pitch at each of this year's events.

I am disappointed there is no Master's No Coasts this year

It would be wonderful if we could go back to keeping a working schedule on line for five years into the future and It would be nice if we could have solid plans a couple or three years ahead.

Part of the NA scheduling problem trickles down from the ILCA. Maybe with Eric Faust as general manager he will fix the pathetic tendency of the ILCA to schedule worlds only a year or two ahead.

Please remember.  I am NOT BITCHING

I am making suggestions.  ASnd as I spend lots of time thinking about how to make sailing the world's most popular sport I ahve lots and lots of suggestions.

So, I won't be running out.

And

The fact I am making suggestions indicates I believe the folks running the class ARE trying.

If I thought they were NOT trying I would BITCH!!!

#38 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,745 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

The Gouv goes above and beyond when it comes to promoting sailing! That's my two cents.

That's good. Seriously.

Not sure however why we need to keep hearing the same story from him over and over and over again. It's like visiting a relation with Alzeihmer's. You smile, you nod, you try not to glance at your watch.

#39 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Sorry Poochviewer.  I gotta stop reacting.

Meanwhile.  I only have twenty years left to set up my fleet of forty octogenarians

#40 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Christ gouv we could do with more lime you in the sport!

#41 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,745 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

fleet of forty octogenarians

I recently saw a guy who looked in his mid-60s windsurfing in 20-25 knots. He had the biggest stupidest grin I've seen on anyone in ages. Superb.

#42 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Tried to sail the North American Championships in Galveston last year: 10 boats showed for a national championship! That's the whole point to this thread. The class is dying.

Not sure what you are talking about but the 2012 North American Championship were at the Gorge and you are off by about 160 boats, take the 4.7 out and it is somewhat over 150.   2002 had a little over 150.

So the North americans your brought up for last year and 2002 are about the same. Do you have some sort of point?

Brant Beach Yacht Club
07/07 - 07/11/2002

Brant Beach Yacht Club
07/07 - 07/11/2002

My mistake, US Championships not North American. Still, no one came to race.

#43 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Brant Beach Yacht Club
07/07 - 07/11/2002

Brant Beach Yacht Club
07/07 - 07/11/2002

My mistake, US Championships not North American. Still, no one came to race.

The event you mentioned had about 85 boats in the regatta

Here are some photo's to see what you missed

https://plus.google....0705?banner=pwa

2012 Laser U.S. National Championship

May 30-June 3, 2012

http://www.regattane...regatta_id=5043

#44 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

I guess I need to clarify that I sail a full rig and am not a teenager. I was at the Houston regatta and chose not to sail because of the lack of full rigs (13, again my bad saying 10 as that's what I remember). The 4.7 and radials had a good turn out but those are kids boats in my book. I like to sail with grown ups like me who are slow and old.

#45 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

I forgot to ask, which one is you?

#46 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I guess I need to clarify that I sail a full rig and am not a teenager. I was at the Houston regatta and chose not to sail because of the lack of full rigs (13, again my bad saying 10 as that's what I remember). The 4.7 and radials had a good turn out but those are kids boats in my book. I like to sail with grown ups like me who are slow and old.

16 entered full rig.
Its unfortunte you do not support the class by racing

#47 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

16 entered, 3 were no show, 13 sailed.

Like I said, I like to sail with adults. Look at the pictures you posted, not a person over 16 except for a few of Peckover who sailed a Radial because so few sailed a full rig. 

#48 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

So you did not sail the easter regatta either.
Its unfortunate some of you old guys don't support the class and complain. You might think about sailing against the younger racers, you might get faster or maybe you can teach them something.
There were plenty of adults racing the younger people at the Gorge last year. It appesrs you missed out.
H;mmmm

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,473 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

guv, maybe more people would give a shit if they didnt have to read a rambling 10 page manifesto.  give us the 3 paragraph version, and if people ask for more details, fill it in

just sayin'

The fleet numbers you started with and edited down

5 bullet points with one sentence description of each concept

5 examples of how you guys did it

How a class might go about implementing

Done!

DOn't worry about editing too much - I'll do that.

I could do that scuttlebutt vs. sailing anarchy report in two paragraphs

#50 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Its unfortunte you do not support the class by racing

Therein lies the difference of opinion between you and I.

The Class, in my mind, is a tool created by sailors to enhance the sailor's game.

Support of the class by racing is a senseless concept.

We support the game by designing a class operation that serves that game... And supervising our class as it tries to serve us.

The class job is to make the game irresistible .

Analogy: The mommies and JV squad may support the cheerleaders but their job is to encourage the team and cause victory. ( it is a bad analogy in that cheerleaders do not encourage and facilitate participation)

The class failed to set up a game anyone but 13 sailors decided to play .

The class scheduled at a venue where fewer than 100 class members lived within a day's drive. That in itself was a risky plan.
Them the class did little or nothing to visit "feeder" events and build the interest

Summary: you can support the class by helping to do the Class' job. You can write district newsletters. You can organize and hostvevents. You can send articles for publication. You can send extra funds.
Being a class officer is not support. Doing work is.
You can support the game by showing up and by bringing others along.

Fundamental : the class is not there for the members or to get members to sail. The class is there to get non members to join the fun.

#51 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

I have no opinion of you. What you do is your problem. People can form their own opinion as long as the facts are correct

Btw i don`t think I have ever bother to read anything of yours in it's. Entirety

#52 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well I do have an opinion of you.

Its unfortunate some of you old guys don't support the class and complain. You might think about sailing against the younger racers, you might get faster or maybe you can teach them something.
There were plenty of adults racing the younger people at the Gorge last year. It appesrs you missed out.
H;mmmm

In what post did I complain about anything? I stated that Fred does a lot for sailing and makes a good point that the game could use some redirection. I am without a Laser at the moment waiting for a legitimate new one to become available for purchase so yes, I missed this year's Easter Regatta. I'm sailing an RS 600 in the interim. What's really unfortunate is that some of you younger fellas skipped spelling and grammar class...just my own opinion based on facts.

#53 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Actually this new phone changes wording as i type and you and some of the others sre not worth the effort to correct.

I see you sre another intetweb" racer" thanks for clearing that up.

#54 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Vwap,
Totally with you on the phone thing.

I am also totally with you in that we each love sailing in races and we want the game to prosper.

I read every word you write because I am certain you have some great ideas based upon concepts I have never considered.

My management concepts are based on everything I have learned on the last 60 years.

My gripe with the ILCA beginning in 2002 is best best described to a racer like yourself as follows:

It is as though last year's national champion is racing with you and your tactic is to take the opposite side of the course and do your very best to beat him.

Only a fool who likes losing fails to consider the other guy who you wish to outperform is right most of the time.

If you want to be the most effective supporter of the game, study everything I did, ADD your brilliance , work HARDER than I do and over a longer period of years and you WILL accomplish great things.

And.... Unless you work even harder than your predecessors did to throw me out, I will help you.

#55 sprayblond

sprayblond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Well I do have an opinion of you.

H;mmmm

In what post did I complain about anything? I stated that Fred does a lot for sailing and makes a good point that the game could use some redirection. I am without a Laser at the moment waiting for a legitimate new one to become available for purchase so yes, I missed this year's Easter Regatta. I'm sailing an RS 600 in the interim. What's really unfortunate is that some of you younger fellas skipped spelling and grammar class...just my own opinion based on facts.

#56 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

This is hysterical i heard you were a clown i did not know you wrote comedy.
So why dosn't your own club have anything about your little regatta anymore. Oh never mind.

Interesting feed back today why they got rid. On never mind

Haha. Hahaha ha

#57 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Grammar Nazi, that's funny and I like it. Just calling it the way I see it friend.

#58 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

just sayin'

The fleet numbers you started with and edited down

5 bullet points with one sentence description of each concept

5 examples of how you guys did it

How a class might go about implementing

Done!

DOn't worry about editing too much - I'll do that.

I could do that scuttlebutt vs. sailing anarchy report in two paragraphs

+1 Clean. Gouv, I care. I personally could give a flying fuck about the laser class; nothing wrong with the boat, as always the more sailors the better but at this point I'm steering soo clear of the laser and current dramas I'm not sure why I'm in this thread. Oh wait, I know why. I like big fleets and I like sailing. So please, help other sailors like us learn what you did to grow the laser class. I want a 100+ boat F18 nationals where the top Europeans and Aussies fly here to sail. I want to see our U.S Nacra 17 team on the podium in Rio in 3 years. Please share your insight and wisdom on how to make this happen.

#59 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Those boats are a few times more expensive but

1. Have ready to sail boats available to purchase at all times. Around here, certain of the guys sorta do this by always tryong to sell their current toy to get another but a stocking dealer ( could be the fleet from one guy's garage) who loves the game really helps
2. Write aporopriate articles anywhere you think you can get them published , Places like Ssil magazine and the big format Sailing eat up pre written articles delivered with wonderful photographs
3. Invite people sailing and encourage them to buy toys. At some point your class will find it best to hire a full time person to do this. ... I believe it is super important that person both loves the game and the job is incentive based with unlimited high end pay and starvation at any level lower than msintensnve of the critical mass necessary for the game to be played .
4. Unabashed bragging. This is just soooo much fun. It's true. So scream it to the world
5. Make it easy to get involved
7. Refuse to let anybody quit. They loved it and then stopped FIND OUT WHY!!!! Fix it.

That's a huge start

#60 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

I just sprayed the gelcoat to finish a repair on one of those cats before I left for lunch.
They are sweet but I think I want an A cat singlehander for myself

#61 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Ya, but the A cat is a "keep up with the jones" boat. You have to spend a lot to stay current and they're expensive as hell to begin with. Chris Cordez from the Rudder Club in Jacksonville is an ex national champ on the A cat and he did it full time to get there. Spent a lot of money.

Is the Sailboat Shop doing anything? I see that KO over here is starting to get involved in the Laser game but only kind-of.  

#62 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

So why dosn't your own club have anything about your little regatta anymore. Oh never mind.

Haha. Hahaha ha

Actually the Austin Yacht Club gave the event so much support and me so much personal credit this year I felt like the kid getting hugged by all the fat old aunts at the reunion.

Whenever you decide to care more about building the game than attacking people, I will be here to help.

Your the one that started off by attacking the good volunteers who got put.in place after all the non......

#63 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Haha. Hahaha ha

Actually the Austin Yacht Club gave the event so much support and me so much personal credit this year I felt like the kid getting hugged by all the fat old aunts at the reunion.

Whenever you decide to care more about building the game than attacking people, I will be here to help.

Yea sure tjats why they ignored it on the club website

Hsha haaha ha

#64 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

OK. I get it. All this time Vwap had just been doing the troll thing while stupid me was trying to have a discussion.

That's mighty embarrassing.

I fed a fucking troll.

My apologies to everyone else.

#65 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Don't sweat it Gouv. I'm sure his / her avatar does him / her justice, you know, being a national level sailor and all.

#66 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

No dude only calling your BS when you make up stories about the volunteers who saved the class.

Still waiting for the race results. On your club website yet?

#67 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

Don't sweat it Gouv. I'm sure his / her avatar does him / her justice, you know, being a national level sailor and all.

I apologize for wasting bandwidth on her. I should have known she was a troll right off the bat.

#68 SA's Sockpuppet Godess

SA's Sockpuppet Godess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Anoying others on SA espeically the animals in PA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

Your the one that started off by attacking the good volunteers who got put.in place after all the non......

Vwap, you hsve convinced me of one thing so far.
You ARE an asshole.

Fred is absolutely killing himself to be polite with his responses and so far ( much to my surprise) he has succeeded.
I won't even try! You ARE an asshole!!

You have provided no constructive comments to this thread or the Torch thread because You ARE an asshole.

Your comments contribute nothing because You ARE an asshole.

Your blatant attempt to infuriate has no positive basis becauseYou ARE an asshole

You don't build anything or contribute with your comments because You ARE an asshole.

You ARE an asshole so you wish to drag others into your game of non productivity and insults,

There is high ground where you have never stepped because You ARE an asshole

You will continue to consume our time because
You ARE an assholel

Since You ARE an asshole you can neither recognize your uselessness nor comprehend the responses of those who have lost their patience with your kind. You ARE an asshole

You ARE an asshole and have no friends.
You ARE an asshole and no one would miss you if you died today.

You ARE an asshole and will stay alive another day so you can further prove to everyone You ARE an asshole.

You know what Vwap?? You ARE an asshole

You ARE an asshole
You ARE an asshole

You ARE an asshole

You ARE an asshole
You ARE an asshole
Did I make my point? You ARE an asshole

Probably not because You ARE an asshole. You ARE an asshole.

Have a short painful and miserable life

You ARE an asshole

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow You ARE an asshole.

#69 IC Nutter

IC Nutter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

While I tend to agree with The Sock Puppet Godess, VwaP's posts do highlight the differing philosophies here for running a dinghy class.

VwaP appears to support the traditional approach where the class is run largely voluntarily and everyone has a responsibility to chip in and help, at the very least, by turning up for events.

Gov's approach is a bit more radical. You employ someone to drive up the membership, a Class Marketing Man (CMM). This approach relieves the individual class members from their responsibility for supporting the class. Instead, the guy driving has to make it interesting enough that people will want to turn up to those events. This approach probably works better, human nature being what it is, because no-one really likes to work when they are supposed to be having fun. If you make the work someone's job, then you have created a fun job for that someone, and removed the work from everyone else so that they are left with the fun bits. The performance of the CMM should be easy enough to measure, there are only really two KPI's. If the CMM is doing his job, the membership should be trending upwards and the class finances should be in the black.

We only really have Gov's side of the story (because he tells it so often), but by his account the system was working. So why did it fail? Was it because it was a non traditional approach that the class members did not understand and were suspicious of? Was it not actually financially viable (is this even a factor, because the risk is with the CMM and it wasn't Gov who chucked the job in)? Was jealousy a factor (did Gov appear to be having too much fun)?

It would be good to see a summary of Gov's methods.

#70 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Very accurate analysis. The brief version?
I thought my superlative performance and huge personal investment gave me a right to continue.
They thought they were elected and had a right to do things their way.

The unfortunate part was their way and my way didn't happen to fit together.

The very unfortunate part was some of them who may have been more willing to let me continue had they respected my huge personal investment, didn't believe I had made such an investment.
And
They all thought they knew how to run the class better than I was doing it.

None of the above is criticism or less than 100% true. It siimply describes good people doing that which they thought was right.

My take has always been they thought the orgsnization was an important entity whichust be fun properly.
I consider the organization to be a tool whose ideal use is whatever optimizes the game

I absolutely believe that had I not been interrupted, sometime within a very few more years I would have proven my methods to be so effective no one on that committee would have considered changing anything without thorough consideration by the class executive committee .

Life is all about timing sometimes

#71 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

To address Nutter's comment about only getting Fred's side;

From the perspective of a club level "guy on the ground" from that period: Fred struck me then, and now, as a "get it done, pay me for results" guy while the new guys seemed " we're elected, we control the money" folks.  Fred was available, enthusiastic and occasionally obnoxious but he was there when a regatta occured.  He browbeat me into organizing a Masters regatta even though I couldn't sail in it.  Great experience, great support and, in my opinion, the class is diminished by the new direction.

Didn't know anything about the political stuff then and don't know a whole lot about it now; just my impressions from the time.

#72 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Ya, but the A cat is a "keep up with the jones" boat.

You're from Austin?

Then you know. Nobody keeps up with the Jonesy!

Paging Ultra, paging Ultra.

#73 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

It's a relative term, comparing the A cat to the Laser. I spent a little time with the A cat guys in Florida back in the late 80s early 90s and even then it was an expensive proposition to be up front.

Running the class with a hired gun primed with incentives, is akin to free market trade, compared to running the class by committee which is akin to a government run program. The free market approach is all about efficiency and end results where the committee approach is just existing for the sake of existing. 

I am a Laser Masters sailor for about three years now. I was a member of the ILCA until I unloaded my '07 full rig so I could appreciate some value in the sale and make way for a new 2013. Not once, since I have been involved in this class, has someone called me on the phone or emailed me to see if I was going to attend a regatta short of the Saturday afternoon play races at Seabrook. No major regatta "recruited" my participation. When I started sailing it was on a Hobie 16. I got letters and phone calls from people three states away wanting me to come play and play I did.

Some might say it's up to me to make the commitment, drive to the races and have a good time; I agree. But I'm sure as hell more likely to go if my friends from out of town(s) or the guy running the show bugs me enough to change my plans from something else to go race my little boat.

Fred is spot on with the notion that people want to feel welcome and their participation is appreciated. If he ran the ILCA anything like he runs his Easter regatta, that goal has been achieved ten fold.

#74 mrpelicano

mrpelicano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, bicycling (road and mtb), guitar, wine, travel, pit bulls.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

IC Nutter's point is well-taken.  Does the class exist primarily to administer stuff or to build the class?  The two things are not the same and they don't yield the same outcomes.  The Laser class is somewhat complicated these days because it's an Olympic class and attracts a specific echelon of sailors who are on that path.  As such, you end up with a rather small, well-knit coterie of top performers who are investing significant amounts of time and money to perfecting their skills.  Nothing wrong with that except it tends to place a lot of emphasis on ISAF grade events rather than on club-level racing.

I'm an ILCA NA class member and Master level Laser sailor, and it doesn't take much to get me motivated to race at either type event.  What I can't quite fathom, though, is why it's so difficult to get so many of my fellow Laser owners to race their boats.  Case in point:  a friend and I tried to round up 5-6 of our fellow club racers to go up to the Sail Newport regatta.  Offered to put them up in a comfy house for free and even tow the multi-boat trailer if necessary.  Cue the sound of crickets chirping.  Ditto for Buzzards Bay and Hyannis.  Only "local" other than myself going to these events is our resident hot-shot Junior sailor, who belongs in the category of top competitors mentioned previously.

NOTE:  As someone reminded me in a separate thread on Sail Newport, it does unfortunately clash with the NA's up in Kingston.  However, none of the club level folks who won't come up to Newport are going to that event.

So, I'm wondering whether the class wouldn't be well-served by having a professional cajoler / enticer / haranguer, one of whose primary functions is to get boats on the water and bodies in boats.

I realize this isn't just a Laser class problem.  The 505 class relies on the tireless efforts of a handful of core NA class members - who also happen to be among the class elite - to get owners to the starting line of as many events as possible.  Like the Laser class, the 505's don't have any trouble filling up the Worlds but club level and regional level (in the U.S.) remains a challenge.

The other issue, which nobody has brought up yet in this thread, is that the Laser is an old design (albeit still immensely popular and loved by many) and I'm not sure how easy it would be to market it to a new generation of sailors.  While it's still relatively affordable, compared to what else is available in NA, I don't know that it's possible to regain and extend past glories with this platform.  And I say this as someone who bought a new hull in 2012.  

I don't have the answers but given how many thousands of Lasers are out there, anything that could get more of them to the starting line of club and regional events would be a good thing, IMHO. 

#75 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Wow!!  The last few posts have taken this thread EXACTLY where I wanted it to go...past my initial seed  and into constructive team brainstorming and communication.

One of the things Allan always harped about was, "The newsletter forces me to catch up on things."

In the big fat newsprint version we included listings of every fleet we knew about, classified ads, listings of upcoming regattas, reports from each district, and at least one photo of somebody from each district.

We had to make a ton of phone calls  ( and later on emails) to the various contact folks for those events to make certain we had the correct contact folks, regatta dates, fleet activities, but that only took a day or four to accomplish.

We contacted last year's hosts and fleet captains and if we didn't get new contact information, we often just published last year's names. At least we knew those folks would care if called and usually they sent us a note or called to correct the contact info if we had teh wrong people.

Probably 80% of all the information in the newsletter was "dragged" out of the people. 

Sure one or two of the district secretaries would send wonderful articles, way ahead of the deadline and include updates for the fleet listings and regatta dates.  Those people who contacted the office before the office contacted them almost threw me off. as in, Wow, they are sooo well organized I am embaradded how poorly I do my end.

But the majoprity had to be asked once or twice or three times before we received any info and usually that info was the kind we had to pick up a phone and clarify.

Then there were the guys who just never sent stuff. We called and wrote and tried and eventually we just got on the phone and wrote their articles while we had them on the line.

and...once in a while I even made up an article like "Bob was on the ski slopes but the ski patrol guys told me he said to write the following...." 

The simple fact is the NA Laser class needs somebody whop has fifty or sixty hours a week to dedicate to making the game work.  There were periods close to newsletter publication when two to four people would be working 80 hours a week apiece. Unless you have the good fortune to have someone who is supported by an third party or trust fund, your class HAS to pay the living expenses of the folks who run such an operation.

I used tio fantacize about picking up the J-22 class, Thistle class, Sunfish class, and whatever other clases just were not big enough to hire somebody. The office would need to have multiple phone numbers so teh answer would be "mobjack class can I help you?" when the Mobjack number rings but one person could handle three classes if the office were shared and set up for running One design classes as a business.

Maybe the newsletter for the thistles and Lightnings would be the same thing with overlapping articles and schedules in two colors and plenty of class specific arrticles. I am so absolutely certain every class would prosper from such an arrangement I will always be  personally disappointed i couldn't even convince peoiple to keep one class operation running.

How great would it be to have a website where you clisked on any sopt on the map and a ton of local information popped up.  Once that stuff is up, most of it is good for years and years.

Stuff;  Nearby clubs, neraby regattas, classes that are welcome ( yes I think USSAiling should ahve a three or four person staff dedicated just to this site), nearby stores that sell sailboat stuff, places to stay if you come visit, contact info for local organizers, weater conditions or at least a link to some local weather sites, other local amusement..(for instance Sandusky Sailing Club's info would include information about Cedar Point Amusement park)

I am absolutely certain the singular most lacking thing for Joe and Sally Wannasail is information.

How do I learn?

Where am I welcome?

What does it cost?

What do my kids do while I sail?

How doe I get a boat?

What boat is right for me? How do I learn that?

What do I wear?

What if teh wind stops?
What if I tip over?

Will I be welcome?

Will I like anybody?

Who actually does sail?

What is a race like?

How good do I ahve to be before I race?

Will I get hurt?

Will I drown?

Will I smash my boat?

What kind of tow vehicle do I need?

Where can I store my boat? My homeowners association doesn't allow boiats...

Are there related get to know you social events?

What do I ahve to do for the club? Must I work on docks? Buildings? sait in teh office/

Where do I get insurance?

Can I hire a coach? How?

You can rest assured my plan was to have EVERY single one of those questions answered on an easy to access website and about once every two years every single answer would come around in any decent class newsletter.

This post is too long...I'll stop here

#76 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Paid cheerleader and organizational folks:

How you choose them

What's it cost?

How you pay them

Choose 

There used to be three elected North American Officers. In 1999 that group was:  President Ian, Vice President Lainie, and  Vice president / measurer Me. When Allan quit we offered the job around as best we could. How do you ask North America anything when you can't afford ads during Jerry Springer, Big Bang Theory, The Super Bowl, and the Stanley Cup finals?

We received letters of application for the job from about a dozen people. Each of us somewhat knew each of the applicants. Each had some personal qualities that would be super wonderful for the management of the game. None impressed us as the young rabble rouser edgy charismatic sailing enthusiast cheerleader we wanted for the job.

Eric Faust wanted to team up and do it and although each of us was too old to be the charasmatic guy, we each knew what we wanted and why were were imperfect. We offered to fill in while we looked for a replacement.

Within weeks we realized we were in way over our heads and it would take a year to get going and many years to make our plan work.

Summary: We didn't choose. In fact, when I was replaced, I thought James Appel was an obvious and perfect choice to take the class to new and better heights. Either i was wrong about James or his success was prevented  by improper management. I still think James and his new team could have done better than I did if the class had used the same incentive based contract as James' carrot.

The following is information about what it costs to set up a proper Class operation such as we set up and ran:

I own a building for my boatshop that is large enough to contain a marvelous office space. We spent $17,000 and three weeks of our "free" labor building a facility. My contract with the class was written such that I was to provide  an office, but it is ludicrous to think  "PROVIDE for free" means anything other than "Pay the person enough to cover the cost of the office."

Rent on a similar absolutely professional office space could easily run $2000 a month. The one we built functioned...no frills..bare drywall and plywood floors.

We spent about $12,000 on computers, printers and fax machines ( they were important back then)  $4000 of our primnter expenses would be unnecessary today as newsletters are sent to printers in seconds with PDF files as opposed to delivering a paper cop;y to be photographed and printed.

Our van in which we slept and drove and drove and slept and drove cost $33,000.  ( NO Not one penny of Class funds but the class would not have been what it was without us at 25 regattas a year.)

Real professionals would insist on "expenses" ( MIleage, hotels and motels, and per diem)  we occasionally used class funds to buy gas for the van so we could provide class support  at events.

The five boat trailer and roof rack and electric brakes  controller for the traveling rig cost about $5000 and took four or five of us a week to build.  We not only showed up at 25 regattas, we usually showed up with five or six playmates for everybody to enjoy.

Summary??? I probably spent closer to $100,000 than the $70,000 itemized above. The equipment and space we used to run the operation was not minimal nor was it in any way luxury level. Somebody has to pay for the stuff or the Class operation cannot happen....and that's why I wanted to share and run a dozen classes out of the facility.  

Pay

I simply loved Allan's contract with the ILCA-NA.  Everything for which he was paid was stuff the class wanted. The more Allan made the more of what we wanted was happening. If the class had 10,000 members, four 64 page newsletters, and $24,000 in advertising revenue The Job would pay a hundred grand and the contract could afford a couple or three  bookkeeper,  typist, mailroom clerk, style general office staffmembers paid $20,000 apiece annually. The class still would not have any money for the Elected officials to manage and spend but the game would be FABULOUS!!! 

Specifically the Management contract described a bunch of things the Class wanted to have accomplished. The manager was to find a volunteer or do it himself.  The manager had nothing to do with setting class policy or designing the game. The manager's job was to organize and cheerlead. The contract  paid the manager 25% of membership dues, $70 per newsletter page, 20% of the advertising, 10% of any sponsorships (We had none but I had GM and Exxon  discussing acting as Grand Prix Sponsors in the form of a van and gas card plus give away goodies, banners, buoys, and trophy money beginning if we had 4000 members before  2004. Tide was also talking to me but sponsors hate parting with cash as opposed to product. Budweiser had contacted me but I didn't want to encurage kids to drink. Gatorade, Powerbar and the like should be easy to marry someday)

and>>> Expenses for class related travel ,  and $10 per hour for bookkeeping and any other tasks unrelated to laying out the newsletter, maintaining the membership files, and selling and servicing advertisering and sponsor contracts.

The Builder had an agreement with the ILCA-NA to pay the class for a free year of membership for each boat sold by that builder.  The builder paid the membership whether the new owner joined or not.  I found this "get it regardless" deal to be a dis-incentive for the class.  It costs a lot of money to send a member cards, bumper stickers, renewal forms, and newsletters. plus they sometimes call and take up the staff's time..Allan considered the funds to be membership money and took 25% according to the contract. I considered the funds to be a subsidy and only took 25% for those who actually joined...and Itherefore was motivated to bust my ass, to find those owners, and drag them into the class.) 

At 1700 members,and 300 new lasers,  the class was barely able to afford to keep its office open. There was no money for anything but processing memberships and laying out the newsletter. beyond that, the office staff worked for free.

At 3000 members with $25,000 in advertising and 1100 new lasers,  2001-2002 was set to be the first year I actually earned money running the office.

The way I saw it, if I could get 5,000 members and sponsorships and $50,000 to $100,000 in avertising revenue, I could make a great living as the guy whose job was "Hey?? Come Play with me!!!"

AND everybody would have huge fleets and huge regattas and the builder would get to sell lots of new boats and lots of spare parts. 

I still think the contract was about as perfect as it could be

( the rest should probably have been edited away)

and I simply failed to convince others the game would be best served by that sort of contract.

Eleven  years later it still tears me up that I could be so incompetent as a communicator I could fail to educate eager volunteers who fundamentally shared the same goals as me but had no comprehension of the necessary methods or the success from those methods we were already enjoying.

#77 IC Nutter

IC Nutter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

I once ran a small RC model yacht class, by which I mean that I was usually the one who rang around everyone before our monthly race meet to make sure everyone was going to turn up. When I eventually moved out of area and stopped ringing around, the class immediately foundered. I always had the idea that if we could just reach some critical mass the class would become self perpetuating, but maybe that is not true.

This phenomena is not just confined to sailing. My wife once helped to run a support group for kids with learning disabilities. Her job was to phone every member of the group (about 30 or 40 members) every month to remind then that the meeting was on. If this job was not done, the number of members at the meeting would be halved.

All this says is that one person can make a huge difference to the success of an organisation. It's not a job that anyone can do though, personality is extremely important, you need a charismatic leader and as Gov points out, that person also needs the time, resources and incentive to do the job.

Given how totally cool the IC is, just imagine how big the IC class could be if we had that kind of support! Unfortunately, most IC sailors are introverted tech heads (like me), so finding that person within the class would be difficult. I like the idea that there could be a business you could employ to promote the class. Definitely food for thought.

#78 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:52 AM

If you had an IC builder who fanatically promoted the product, somebody would buy that product.

If that business proved to be profitable it would continue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users