25 replies to this topic

#1 Bill's Sock Puppet

Bill's Sock Puppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Looking for available options for a Cat 4 - Sport Boat (keel not beach launched):
- Cat 4 minimum
- can be sailed competitively with crew weight 450 kg
- LOA 10m or less
- IRC 1.09 / PHRF 51 or faster
- prefer new rather than used
- stripped out interior
- sprit pole
- would like to test sail in US or EU

Thinking maybe Soto 30, Hick 30/31, HPE30, FT10?, Farr 30?, . . . IDK there must be some AUS Super 30 or European 30 footer that is all but ignored in the US

#2 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Wraceboats GP26 www.wraceboats.com  in usa please contact Jim Donovan at usa@wraceboats.com and you can check the build tread at http://forums.sailin...howtopic=112384 . test sailing possible in North East USA or Istanbul Turkey or Oslo, Norway

#3 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

The mummfar and FT's are not <51 PHRF speed - and the GP26 is SIGNIFICANTLY slower.  You would be looking at something like a Shaw 9M canter as the best bet

Looking for available options for a Cat 4 - Sport Boat (keel not beach launched):
- Cat 4 minimum
- can be sailed competitively with crew weight 450 kg
- LOA 10m or less
- IRC 1.09 / PHRF 51 or faster
- prefer new rather than used
- stripped out interior
- sprit pole
- would like to test sail in US or EU

Thinking maybe Soto 30, Hick 30/31, HPE30, FT10?, Farr 30?, . . . IDK there must be some AUS Super 30 or European 30 footer that is all but ignored in the US

#4 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

this is a offshore racer you want, not a sportsboat.

shaw 9 canter or sprit out a mumm

#5 Bill's Sock Puppet

Bill's Sock Puppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

this is a offshore racer you want, not a sportsboat.

Sorry, I guess I should have posted this in Cruising Anarchy section.

#6 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

I wonder if a Melges 32 could have the necessary interior fitout for Cat 4at about the same effort as trying to add a sprit to a Mumm 30.  Certainly would be the faster boat.  We have one of the two Melges prototype boats here and we keep talking about "Coning" it.

#7 port tack

port tack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Synergy 1000, although you will not find one new.  Proven offshore racer. 

#8 Bill's Sock Puppet

Bill's Sock Puppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if a Melges 32 could have the necessary interior fitout for Cat 4at about the same effort as trying to add a sprit to a Mumm 30.  Certainly would be the faster boat.  We have one of the two Melges prototype boats here and we keep talking about "Coning" it.

How much would our options open up if we shot for Cat 5 instead of Cat 4?

The certainly GP26 looks like fun, except it was dumped in the wrong class at BIRW

The Synergy 1000 takes 8 people to sail in a blow?  (counting heads in one photo)

#9 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

You can pick up a Hendo 30 for pretty short dough these days and they rate in the 40's...Where are you going to be sailing it?

#10 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Talk to shaw, or maybe elliot or another kiwi if you want a small, fast near shore boat, particularly a new one. They have designs that would meet your specs, or that could be tweaked to what you want.

Overload, from Elliot http://www.elliott-m...e.com/e9ss.html

Karma Police and Deep Throttle, shaw 9. http://www.shawyacht...com/9layers.htm

They would both be quicker than  everything you have listed.

Throwing a sprit and bigger chute on a farr30 might work if done with a good designer's input, but a local boat tried that for a few years and was often beaten by class boats over the line, even in predominantly downwind races. He ended up going back to mainly class configuration, with a little IRC type dick and a few other small irc optimizations.

#11 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:if you aint 1st your last

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

Cat 5 opens up your options a huge amount, most new "sports boats" wont get Cat 4 but it all depends on the races you want to do and how much you want to spend

#12 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

A number of the options listed above mummfarr, M32, Hendo, Synergy, etc are going to suffer with only 450kg crew

#13 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

I would put the FT10 in that same group of Farr 30, Hendo's, Synergy 1000's as we all race in the Super 30 Div here in the PNW. Follow the WIRW results. Also the FT10 Mai Tai kills it in the near shore overnighters in our area. Wins Swiftsure and Van Isle 360 in the past few years. Don't look past this boat. We typically race with 6-8 bodies, around 500-650 kgs.

#14 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Classe 950 might be something to look at.

Include Dibley in the search.

#15 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Karma Police is for sale on Yachtworld again - http://www.yachtworl...es#.UddizDkTvw4

I'd love to own it!

#16 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

You can pick up a Hendo 30 for pretty short dough these days and they rate in the 40's...Where are you going to be sailing it?

there's a reason they're short dough.

#17 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Antrim 27 tool is in LaSelva and either Craig, Cree or Sascha can build it. Boat is doable short handed and the rig tensioner is a dream for this. Same thing can happen for the Ultimate 24, another great little boat, albeit expensive to build. Tool sits right next to the A27.

The brokerage I work for has a Synergy 1000 for sale. In good shape too $49.5K with new motor. Awesome boat. I'm very tempted to buy it to sail next years PacCup.

I've sailed quite a few different Tigers...personally wouldn't take one across the pond though.

#18 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

there was an Antrim 27 in off soundings this year. They broke the rudder knuckle on the transom I think - any of the other antrims had that failure? I was a little surprised considering what the A27 was designed for.

#19 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Oh, due share why you think the reason is? Define short money also? The Hendo is priced the same as any Melges 30 and Mumm/Farr 30 that was produced at the same time.... The Mumm/Farr 30 has the best resale because an OD class still exists. They only built 20 Hendos not sure how many Melges 30, but probably around the same number.

Great job at BIRW!

#20 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

I know a Hendo owner that has raced in most of the Mac races since he bought the boat. He has even done it with crew as small as 5 people. Yes, runners are a pain at first, but also allow for great flexibility with the headstay tension!

#21 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't why you suggest an Antrim 27 or even worse an U24.

The OP was asking for something faster than a PHFR 50'is and the Antrim 27 is at least 30 sec/mile slower then that and the U24 even further from there.

Even the mummfar 30 , Hendo and the like are only close to that kind of performance.......................................but not quite

#22 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Oh, due share why you think the reason is? Define short money also? The Hendo is priced the same as any Melges 30 and Mumm/Farr 30 that was produced at the same time.... The Mumm/Farr 30 has the best resale because an OD class still exists. They only built 20 Hendos not sure how many Melges 30, but probably around the same number.

Great job at BIRW!

Thanks - we had a good time. Competition was stiff in the double-handed division, the races were long and more interesting than w/l twice around. more racing should be like that. 

#23 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

that's funny. I've been wondering what 'wings' on the Elliott would look like.

#24 huey 2

huey 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

What is Greg Nelson's Azzura 310 like, a mate sent pictures of it in three bridge fiasco .Very narrow at wl but solid lump in bulb to sort of balance the big kite !! there was some info on SA henderson 30 or mumm 30?   2010.

#25 quasi-expert

quasi-expert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Don't know if this is still being made, but you could at least ask. As far as I know it even makes cat 3.

Lutra 25

#26 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Antrim 27 tool is in LaSelva and either Craig, Cree or Sascha can build it. Boat is doable short handed and the rig tensioner is a dream for this. Same thing can happen for the Ultimate 24, another great little boat, albeit expensive to build. Tool sits right next to the A27.

The brokerage I work for has a Synergy 1000 for sale. In good shape too $49.5K with new motor. Awesome boat. I'm very tempted to buy it to sail next years PacCup.

I've sailed quite a few different Tigers...personally wouldn't take one across the pond though.

I don't think he intended to take anything across a pond. Over night races like the Swiftsure, Van Isle 360 are quite doable. The boys in Australia take theirs offshore and do quite well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users