#1 Smoke and oakum

Smoke and oakum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:x

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

This weekend’s project is installing two Harken B32 primaries on my Laser 28.  Each winch sits on an aluminum base that is in turn mounted on  a sloped cockpit coming.  Most winch installation instructions require the winch to be oriented such that the drive gear is in line with the line entry.  How important is this rule?  Due to the particulars of this this boat, this rule may be hard to honor exactly. 

#2 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

It doesn't seem to be that important - I've never found one mounted that way originally on any of my boats. In theory it properly maintains the gear mesh clearance under load.

If it's a self tailer the line lifter should be at 5:00 to the person grinding - THAT matters for a cleanly running tail but it can be easily adjusted.

#3 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

The problem presents itself under high loads.  If the drive gear is opposite the load you transfer the load to the wrong parts of the winch and you will see early failures.  On winches that have the split ring pins on top, they will bend out and pop off while you grind in if the gear is opposite.

#4 Smoke and oakum

Smoke and oakum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:x

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

thanks.

#5 tft1987

tft1987

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

On some winches, the bolt pattern for mounting is not symetrical. If this is the case, its possible the load path will not be ideal and esult in premature fatigue or failure. Not likely unless your really really loading up. I cant imagine Harken 32's on an L28 will be that close to the brink... If we were talkin a bigass barient on an old ally maxi, it'd be a different conversation altogether...

#6 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

If you do not follow the installation instructions you will void the manufacturers warranty.  Just sayin.

Thanks.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users