13 replies to this topic

#1 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Travelling with wife and 12 year old in early january 2014.   have got 3/4 days to get from paris - venice. 

what is the best way - train ? any suggested stops on way ?

hire car and drive ? best route ?

thanks in advance- never been to Europe before. 

#2 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Have not been direct Paris-Venice, but have driven Vienna-Venice.

Driving is easy, but I have also heard many good things about the train ride as well.

Old town Venice is definitley not car friendly, but most rental cars have offices close to the Main Canal where you can drop the car off and walk or catch a gondola (expensive).

Hope you enjoy Europe. We love it.

#3 jewing

jewing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:If you're on this site, probably not that much different than yours

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

3-4 days, or 3/4 of a day? The former has options; the latter is only plane or (maybe) train.

It will be winter, and dark. If you ski head towards Geneva and the Mont Blanc Tunnel and pick your Swiss / French / NW Italian resort of choice.

If you dont, I probably head for Lyon, then the French Riviera, connecting across to the Italian Rivera. Hit Genoa, then maybe Parma, Modena or Padua, then into Venice. Better weather south of the Alps .

The northern route (east to Munich, then south through the Brenner Pass) is pretty cool too, but will be much colder, darker, and more subject to winter weather concerns, particularly in the Alps. Though Munich, Ulm, and other towns in southern Germany are really cool. And the skiing at Garmisch isn't bad either. And German autobahns are free, unlike the motorways of every other country you may pass.

Oh, and watch out for the Acqua Alta in Venice!

-je

#4 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

thanks, 3 - 4 days, once in Venice heading to cortina to ski, but venice first.

#5 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,018 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

thanks, 3 - 4 days, once in Venice heading to cortina to ski, but venice first.

We took the train from Paris to Venice a weekend many years ago.  It was quite nice, and very easy.

#6 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

January would be my choice for visiting Venice - not too crowded, with a bit of fog it's terribly romantic. Provided you don't hit the Acqua Alta, as mentioned, but it might spice up things.

For the trip, problem is the weather in the North: my suggestion would be to fly into Rome, spend the 3/4 days there and then take the high speed train to Venice - 3 1/2 hrs, 70 Euros. You could stop one day along the way in Florence, but I wouldn't be too greedy.

#7 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Plus One for the train...that is our mode for an upcomming trip.

#8 JMOD

JMOD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:the usual stuff

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

train, a car is useless in venice. bring boots for high tide.

#9 42 South

42 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

You can book direct at either the Italian site http://www.trenitali...00080a3e90aRCRD or go to the French site at http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Lots of good info here http://www.seat61.com/

Discounts usually come on line about 3~4 months before the travel date.

#10 RedFlag

RedFlag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Cheapest and fastest : EasyJet has 3 direct flights per day from CDG or ORY to VCE. Air France has many, too. Usually more expensive, although with luggage the difference is smaller.

Train : the direct night train is not with the SNCF (public french train). It's with Thello ( http://www.thello.com ).

Since I can't sleep in night trains, I'd rather take the plane, and spend more time both in Paris and Venice. Both are exceptionnal cities.

#11 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Marco Polo

#12 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

In Venice take advantage of the vapporeto system.  Get the on-off pass, and take them everywhere during your stay.  If you take one of the larger loops it will take over an hour for a great tour.

They have the best mosquito repellent ever in Italy.  We need to get Wofsey to re-invent it for the US market.

#13 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

I just drove from Pisa to Paris.  with a couple kids.  if you do it in 3 days, you don't have enough time to really see any sights.  Cost of the one-way rental is exorbitant.  Take the train.

#14 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Unless you are bringing lots of luggage, fly. It'll take you ~12 hrs and pretty much the day on the train (not sure what's left for night rail now) with a couple connections not counting the delays that in my experience were almost inevitable travelling by rail in Italy and/or crossing the alps in winter

If you do take the train, take several days and break up the journey. Depending on which train route, Turin, Verona, Zurich, Milan, Lyon or even Innsbruck (which is out of the way likely) are worthy stop overs. If you ski... make time for a day in the alps if there's decent early season snow. Far to many choices to mention, but most are mindblowing if you've never skied outside of the US for the terrain available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users