• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Single - handed sailing, sailing with my kids, open water swimming

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

http://www.gizmag.co...at-paint/28182/

Attached Files

#2 towtank

towtank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

http://www.gizmag.co...at-paint/28182/

Long overdue need for this technology. 

#3 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

LIke the bit about longevity. Looks promising...

#4 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

I am not certain I want to be applying or removing a coating that is laced with doggie heartworm preventative drugs.
There needs to be a ton of research before we unleash That much of any drug into the environment or let people handle it for a living

#5 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

its research - may yield fruit, may not

#6 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

People get all excited every time some magazine publishes a report on some new technology that may have use as a super-duper anti fouling coating. I'm gonna guess that I have heard of at least a dozen in the last decade. But you know what? We're all still using copper.

I wouldn't be holding my breath over any of this. They haven't invented the magic bullet yet.

#7 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Forty years ago there was this great new antifoulant additive called tributyltin.  the cats meow,, really worked well.  Heck IMO is phasing out cuprous oxide as the technology allows it.  I doubt the big coatings manufacturers will go down the poison road without decades of testing.    

#8 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

IMO is phasing out cuprous oxide as the technology allows it. 

The IMO is not "phasing out" copper. Any pressure aimed at eliminating copper is strictly on a local or national level. The IMO has not taken any steps towards banning it.

#9 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

Forty years ago there was this great new antifoulant additive called tributyltin.  the cats meow,, really worked well.  Heck IMO is phasing out cuprous oxide as the technology allows it.  I doubt the big coatings manufacturers will go down the poison road without decades of testing.    

You can take those doubts and confidently spray on snd sand off eh starved biocides you choose.

I am a bio myself and I don't trust paint company salesmen to tell me what poisons are gonna. "Kill everything but the stuff we wanted to have alive."

Bullshit

I remember when they added that close relative to tetracycline and all the uneducated guys who used it had health problems

Ivermectin is the stuff we give animals to kill certain forms of worms. It "interrupts certain parts of the worm 's life cycle.

What does it do to a guy who paints on ten gallons of it a week??

Or a guy who scrubs bottoms??
Or s guy who sands off old coatings??

I do NOT care to be included in the cancer ridden test sample

#10 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Aw, c'mon, Guv, you know you've been trying to get rid of those crabs, er, worms for years! This could be just the stuff. Of course, there are toxicity concerns with large scale use of ivermectin that need addressed. But I still like the idea of a bottom paint that remains effective for more than 18 - 24 months.

#11 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I still like the idea of a bottom paint that remains effective for more than 18 - 24 months.

What are you using that only lasts 18 months?

#12 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Sarcasm Gouv, I wet-sanded WAY too much TriLux and Micron 22 back then.  I hate the stuff.  Started a thread on Gear Anarchy about the foul release product 'hullspeed' wondering who had any experience with it.  Got some samples at a boat show and it looks pretty cool. They even have a polish they claim to be superior to HullKote.  

FB, I think we're on the same page about this. The profile on your website indicates you're probably more 'up to speed' than I am.  Through 2006 I was working closely with one of the worlds larger marine coatings manufacturers. Due to the 'local and regional' pressure you speak of IMO would love to send copper AF paints down the same road as Tin but an economical alternative hasn't been developed.  They're getting close however.  It's a balance between coatings costs, fuel costs, and drydocking intervals.  To throw a wrench in the works,  a lot of shipowners are 'slowing down' transits to conserve fuel.  Now the new self-polishing AF's don't work so well at 15 knots vs 26 knots.  Commercial ship bottom cleaning services can extend drydocking periods but if it's a copper based bottom paint it releases a huge amount of copper into the port or harbor.  The boutique AF products that show up are cool however if they're not picked up and developed by one of the bigs ( Akzo, Hempel, Chugoku et al), they won't survive.  

#13 thumper

thumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Classboats, Sport Boats, Innovation, Cruising

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've had e-paint for 3 cycles now.  I've used the e-200 or 300?(whatever) and am getting tired of the short life and slow application schedule.  Anyone else had these issues?  Doeas anyone know anything about Copper Coat?

#14 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

I've used E-Paint's EP2000 for the past 6 years on one of my boats and get 2+ years from a bottom-job (once I managed 5 years on pro-sprayed Micron, however).

Funny thing about E-Paint is, I've nearly been beaten up when I said I liked the stuff ! Some folks have had terrible results - for a variety of reasons, I expect - but properly and adequately applied it works great for my (very active) boat and is a delight to work with (cleans up with water, very little 'clouding' when scrubbing the bottom in the water).

I don't know that it's the answer for everyone - and since it needs a clean bottom and many boaters can't be bothered to remove 25 years of crappy old coating, that's a non-starter, but the stuff works for me !

#15 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

I've used E-Paint's EP2000 for the past 6 years on one of my boats and get 2+ years from a bottom-job (once I managed 5 years on pro-sprayed Micron, however).

Funny thing about E-Paint is, I've nearly been beaten up when I said I liked the stuff ! Some folks have had terrible results - for a variety of reasons, I expect - but properly and adequately applied it works great for my (very active) boat and is a delight to work with (cleans up with water, very little 'clouding' when scrubbing the bottom in the water).

I don't know that it's the answer for everyone - and since it needs a clean bottom and many boaters can't be bothered to remove 25 years of crappy old coating, that's a non-starter, but the stuff works for me !

I met with the e-paint folks some years back.  Like the science there.  It works better in clear water sunny climes like Hawaii more than in turbid cloudy zones.  Makes sense because of the photoactive properties.  If it works use it... No biocides is a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users