Looking to become a yacht stewardess, hostess, etc....

crew sailing yacht yacht charter stewardess ship superyacht luxury charters luxury

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ericarene

ericarene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, writing, nature, hanging out with friends, the beach, working

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

I am a 19 year old female college student looking to board a high-end ship or yacht (not a cruise ship) and be a stewardess. The only guest-service related jobs I have had are being a hostess/waitress at very high-end restaurants since I was 16 (the melting pot, silo, etc), but I really want to travel and meet new people during my summers off so I have been researching into becoming a yacht crew member.

Can anyone help me out on how I can get this started? Do I need training and/or certifications of some sort? If so, what? Also, I understand that my summers only span two months or so...so I know I need to work for yacht charters rather than a more permanent position.

#2 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Start off by getting your stcw-95 cert

#3 DAC

DAC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

If you want to get on Super Yachts STCW 95 is your ticket.  It's best to go through a school where you can meet people in the same situation as yourself and possibly get some industry contacts through former students.  I did UKSA in Cowes and it was very good.  The next step after that is to sign on with a crew agency (Bluewater is the standard one) and get yourself to Antibes and start dockwalking. Some agencies offer crew houses for job seekers but other people just rent a flat with other people in the industry.  Most of my STCW class found day work quite quickly and most of that led to more full time jobs.

Another route you might want to take is working for a charter company as a hostess.  In my opinion Navigare is the best, but there are others.  For a cost you can do their "hostess school" which is like a cooking, sailing, cleaning boot camp, but if you pass, you have a job with almost any charter outfit. Hostesses work very hard though.  Navigare has bases in Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Sweden,  the BVIs and Thailand.  As an added bonus, if you're young and fun, Navigare works closely with The Yacht Week, which will hire hostesses for the summer and is the job of a lifetime.  The Yacht Week also does a hostess school closely modelled on Navigare's program.  

Here's a link to The Yacht Week official trailer.  They are other videos to check out on their website too.  

http://www.theyachtweek.com/media/trailers/ 

Best of luck

Here's their trailer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crew, sailing, yacht, yacht charter, stewardess, ship, superyacht, luxury charters, luxury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users