10 replies to this topic

#1 joseph42s

joseph42s

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

I know this has been talked about in the past. But can someone tell me where the best one design sailing in Denver is? What fleets are the most active and most competitive? What lakes?  I am considering a Job transfer there.

Thanks in advance.

#2 joseph42s

joseph42s

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

So judging by the vast response, there is no sailing there to speak of?

#3 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

http://www.denversai...-racing/racing/

Ping Shaggy, I think he races at Cherry Creek Reservoir.

I started sailing in Denver back in the late 1970s, back then Lasers and Hobie cats ruled the lakes, now, no more Hobies. When I can get some coin I hope to get the kids a couple of Bic Opens for the youth program here.

What boat are you bringing up here with you?

There are several good lakes in the mountains like Dillon, Aspen, Granby and Grand. In Denver the cheap lakes are the State ones, Cherry Creek, Chatsfield, etc.. The expensive ones are the City lakes like Sloan, Washington Park.

#4 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Well, you have 2 choices as to lakes within a reasonable distance from Denver popper.  I think I had maps etc on another post but that was many moons ago so you can probably just use google.  Each lake has a big regatta that back in the day would pull 30 or so keelboats.  Dillon had 60 something last year.  rmsail.org has all the links you need.

1.  Cherry Creek, DSA is the sailing association www.denversailing.org.  They have a YC and clubhouse.  This is the closest keelboat sailing literally 20 mins from downtown without traffic.  With traffic you are talking 6 hrs, but I won't go there.  Normal years, there are a few J24's (5)  and a PHRF fleet (8).  Santana 20's and Ultimate 20's are the big fleets with 18 or so Santanas arround we usually get 10 or so for a wed series.  There are 6 -10 U20's in the area.  They are newer and all active so they pull about the same at regattas and wed with 5-6 racing normal wed on cherry creek.  Both fleets travel and usually fleet.  Dingy wise, Lasers and Lightnings fleet on Thursdays as do Santanas (no spin on thurs).  check out the website for numbers and other fleets.  Unfortunately H20 is really really really really low this year, like so low that we can't use the crane or ramp, so the keelboat fleet is getting smaller and smaller.   6 or 7 santanas crane launch and so do most of the u20's and J24's so without the crane the fleet is really decimated.  Hopefully we get more h20 nxt yr but who knows. 
2.  Chatfield res.  about 40 mins from downtown, traffic on wed afternoon forgetabout it....  They have h20, but no crane, 7 Capri 22's, Couple of s20's maybe aU20 or 2 Mostly PHRF and catalina 27's.  Haven't been there in yrs and really don't know much about the club.  It may get bigger and better if CC stays low.  CSYC.org has pics and results.
3.  Carter lake. "Rustic" but really cool club.  Only weekend stuff.  Water is gone and you are sailing in a puddle after the 4th of july as the farmers take all the h20.  but in spring it is good.  Not too dsre what is up there now but when I was running the jr program there were S20's and Stars as well as a PHRF fleet. 
4.  Dillon.  Usually I am only up there for the open but they do alot of racing on the weekend.  J22's J24's Etchells, and believe it or not ensigns have a fleets up there that race on the weekends.  Stars and J24's have have districts there this yr and they hosted the U20 nationals a few yrs ago.  

5.  Aspen.  Not too sure but the aspen open is getting bigger and bigger.  Great lake and great regatta. 

So, for the summer best is to get hooked onto a S20 or U20 or something that is traveling to all the lakes J24 j22 etc etc in the area and you will not be disappointed.  There is a circuit that goes from Cherry Creek to Carter to Aspen to Dillon to Chatfield then to the Gov Cup back at Cherry Creek.  All the lakes coordinate so there is alot of OD to be had but you gotta travel. 

Hope that helps.

#5 Parma

Parma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

you should get a shaw 650

they are about to become really big in N.A.

#6 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

Union Sailing Club does OD and mixed fleet dinghy races.  Buccaneer 18s are popular in the Rockies for some reason -- Fleet 30 is in Denver, as are the 2014 NA Championships.  The two best Bucc sailors in the country live in Denver. Looks like a few A Cats are going up there, too.

#7 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Given this year's fire season, I'd say the Fireball. Also a fun boat.

#8 Star_Sailor

Star_Sailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

My best friend lives across from Washington Park.

Why not start a R/C fleet of 1m boats there?

BTW, the distraction of all the joggers and health nuts running around the park should build your skills at boat fixing!

#9 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Easy.  Bring your Star or charter one for Miami's Star Winter Series.   5 months of racing.

#10 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,285 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Easy.  Bring your Star or charter one for Miami's Star Winter Series.   5 months of racing.

???????

Anyway, back on topic, I stopped by Cherry Creek earlier this year and it was pretty damn interesting. Don't know what the breeze is like but a really nice and convenient facility. If your moving to Denver would certainly be a  great place to do some of the round the buoys stuff. Even if I didn't have a one design that's raced there it would be a great place to keep a boat, practice and take the boat on the road to regattas.

#11 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Union Sailing Club does OD and mixed fleet dinghy races.  Buccaneer 18s are popular in the Rockies for some reason -- Fleet 30 is in Denver, as are the 2014 NA Championships.  The two best Bucc sailors in the country live in Denver. Looks like a few A Cats are going up there, too.

Good point, never been up there as I have never really been into the dinghy scene.  Looks cool.  With the H20 sitution I may just have to get a buccaneer or Lightning and come join you guys......  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users