3 replies to this topic

#1 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

I've often said that singlehanded sailors have the best odds of being Knighted of any profession in the world.  Of the small number of English singlehanders, a very large proportion have been given the K.  And I know that France's equivalent, the Legion of Honor, has been given to many French singlehanders, and even to an Aussi who rescued a Frenchman.

Now I see that Dame Ellen MacArthur has been invited to join the Club of Rome:

We are delighted to announce that Ellen MacArthur has recently become a full member of the Club of Rome, which represents the highest level of recognition granted by the prestigious group. The Club of Rome pulls together leading international experts in a variety of disciplines, who are committed to researching practical solutions to the global issues that we face. Through the work of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, Ellen has been influential in catalysing circular economy thinking around the world, via live presentations, research forums, and in forging relationships key to developing a new operating system for the global economy.

Although not necessarily for her singlehanded sailing in particular, I think this is just indicative of the high quality of people that do take up this particular sport.

Congrats Ellen!

#2 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Single - handed sailing, sailing with my kids, open water swimming

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

Well deserved. A breed apart.

#3 Merlin Hawaii

Merlin Hawaii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

For those who haven't heard the Pete Goss - Raphael Dinelli story

http://www.themarkof...right-decision/

#4 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

One must also consider that sailing, cricket, and equestrian competition rank fairly high amongst sports most favored by the handers-out of knighthoods, Grand Crosses, and so forth.  A name like Francis Chichester or William Robert Patrick Knox-Johnston looks right at home in the rolls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users