9 replies to this topic

#1 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

Anyone care to share setting up an adventure race per se with having people go to point A to get instructions to get to point B and so on until they finish the race. The idea I have is with small boats that can beach and grab a coupon with directions to next point. Sounds fun but problems could arise that I'm not thinking about.

Thanks

#2 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

Sounds like a fun idea; kind of an inshore orienteering competition. Picking the venue and season would be a good first step. Everything else will follow. Where do you have in mind?

#3 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,699 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

I liked the previous Everglades Challenge course, where they had to go under a low bridge. It was even better back when the bridge was narrow, so Sizzor had to fold.

But I tried to organize a little fun race as part of the Sun Cat National Championships in which we would go under a low bridge and it was like herding cats. It takes less than a minute to drop our masts, and is a one handed operation. Catboat jib trimmers are the laziest people.

Sincerely,

The Head Jib Trimmer In Charge

#4 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sounds like a fun idea; kind of an inshore orienteering competition. Picking the venue and season would be a good first step. Everything else will follow. Where do you have in mind?

We never have any racing in July or August. I guess mostly since it's so hot. Anyways, I picked a place call Lake Whitney which is equidistant for most people from Austin to Dallas and sort of Houston. It'll be July 27th and I have no idea yet what the course will be and I've never even been on the lake. This will be self monitored race where we all start at 1pm and you note your own finish time to calculate PY corrections. Just not sure if I want to include stops along the way or not. I doubt we will have any support boats so everything has to be done from shore.

Your welcome to show up if ya want!! :)

Attached File  Lake Whitney NOR.jpg   156.24K   48 downloads

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

smart

#6 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

We never have any racing in July or August. I guess mostly since it's so hot. Anyways, I picked a place call Lake Whitney which is equidistant for most people from Austin to Dallas and sort of Houston. It'll be July 27th and I have no idea yet what the course will be and I've never even been on the lake. This will be self monitored race where we all start at 1pm and you note your own finish time to calculate PY corrections. Just not sure if I want to include stops along the way or not. I doubt we will have any support boats so everything has to be done from shore.

Your welcome to show up if ya want!! :)

Lake Whitney NOR.jpg
You could go ATM style with the shore support. Find a few friendly beaches and leave coffee cans full of anything waterproof that proves the boat was there. Give 'em coordinates to all the locations moments before the start. No course other than a start and finish line, as well as requirement to return with all required trinkets from each location. Could be a riot!

#7 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

I see 2 problems with this idea in general. There isn't any sandy beaches on this lake and we don't, can't, operate gps with Lat Lon coords in a centerboard boat unless you just stop, put on, take off, glasses and finger it out. This isn't limited to CB boats but that's most likely who will show up. Also the winds can be very flaky this time year. But I think I can pull this off by eliminating the beach. Just drive around and walk a floaty, noodle, out with a piece a string and rock. Attach colored balloons or whatever to designate that mark. Hopefully, people don't drag it out while they are swooping by.  I could use playing cards in the floaty noodle and place so many that you can't miss. Just use suits of spades, diamonds or whatever for each mark. The GPS will be over ridden with hand maps and I'll make that available at meeting after I place marks in the morning.

That's the plan now and sssshhh......... please don't tell anyone in Dinghy Anarchy. ;)

smart

:) 

#8 Kirwan

Kirwan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:um... boats?

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like a fun event.  I love loosely organized things like that.  Here are some ideas:

Using playing cards as tokens can make it a 'poker run'.  Cards in sealed envelopes, extra prizes for best hand, worst hand, etc.

Maybe a simple compass heading at each mark to the next one.

Possibly include info at each mark necessary for the next mark to ensure the order is correct; For example: Heading 300 degrees, card from BLUE envelope (and the mark has 4 envelopes to choose from)

Consider setting up marks, and giving out maps.  But no course info until just before the start.  Or just hand them out at the skipper's meeting, and say 'GO!" for a LeMans start.

Maybe have the marks at the corners of the lake, with the instructions to round them all in any order... 3BF style.

There used to be an event at Klamath Lake Oregon, called 'The Battle of Trafalgar'.  Boats are divided into 3 fleets, British, French and Spanish, with appropriate flags.  You carry a cocktail napkin in your rigging for each crew member you would normally have (held with thread), and are allowed any device you want to fill and launch water balloons.  When your napkins are gone, you are 'sunk'.   Could be fun on a hot Texas lake.

#9 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sounds like a fun event.  I love loosely organized things like that.  Here are some ideas:

Using playing cards as tokens can make it a 'poker run'.  Cards in sealed envelopes, extra prizes for best hand, worst hand, etc.

Maybe a simple compass heading at each mark to the next one.

Possibly include info at each mark necessary for the next mark to ensure the order is correct; For example: Heading 300 degrees, card from BLUE envelope (and the mark has 4 envelopes to choose from)

Consider setting up marks, and giving out maps.  But no course info until just before the start.  Or just hand them out at the skipper's meeting, and say 'GO!" for a LeMans start.

Maybe have the marks at the corners of the lake, with the instructions to round them all in any order... 3BF style.

There used to be an event at Klamath Lake Oregon, called 'The Battle of Trafalgar'.  Boats are divided into 3 fleets, British, French and Spanish, with appropriate flags.  You carry a cocktail napkin in your rigging for each crew member you would normally have (held with thread), and are allowed any device you want to fill and launch water balloons.  When your napkins are gone, you are 'sunk'.   Could be fun on a hot Texas lake.

Sounds like some great ideas! Thanks! For now the course has been announced and the order it will occur. I may do the cards in the envelope but I'll only have 2 marks for that. Below is the map of the race and points 3 and 4 are beach landing where you have to go to a table and get a card to turn in with your time. If it's not windy, I'll remove point 2 from the race which is mark 1.

http://binged.it/1aNz2Du

#10 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I've always liked the "Peaks Races", which involve teams and marks at the top of peaks, naturally. You could have one of your marks be away from the lake with instructions at the shore to add to the mix. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users