• 903 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

What are the best iPhone camera cases?

I am currently most interested in products from:

Hitcase: http://www.hitcase.com

and

Optrix: http://www.optrix.com

I have not seen or tried either one in person, but I'm hoping someone has. Any opinions? Any other brands to consider?

Thanks!

#2 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy sailing, and good red wine!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Lifeproof

#3 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Cant go past the lifeproof, small enough that it doesn't impede you and with the added lifejacket it wont sink to the bottom.

#4 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I am not familiar with the cases you are thinking about. I think that they look more optimized for video and photogography than the lifeproof- but they look a bit bulky for general use.

The great thing about the lifeproof is that I basically never take the phone out of the case

But If you are mostly interested in photography and video, it might be better to get a GoPro

#5 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

I have a GoPro for mounted shots, but I've been thinking about a rugged iPhone case that can take a beating so I can pull it out of my PFD pocket and take some quick shots. I've dropped enough stuff on my Viper and had it survive bouncing around the cockpit, but I wasn't sure if something like the Lifeproof case was up for that sort of accidental abuse. I used the Magellan case on my old iPhone and it survived everything except sinking. Actually, it probably survived that too, but I'll never know.

I'm impressed that you guys believe in the Lifeproof case. I'll have to give it a second look. Maybe with its lifejacket thing it might survive me.

Thanks

#6 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

I've got a lifeproof case and take my phone out on the water with me all the time.  Even put the phone in my pfd pocket.

Only drawbacks:

1) The phone can get really hot in the case, especially while plugged in.  Like if you're playing music through a car or boat USB port.  I believe, no science here, that adversly affects battery life and phone performance. 

2) Not all accessories connect easily: If you use a non-apple set of headphones or charging cable, it can be difficult to connect.  At least on the 4/4S case.  To use my headphones, I need a special adapter cable.  Not a big deal and protects the waterproofiness.  To connect the charging cable, on the 4S case, you need to unsnap a door at the bottom port and connecting the cable can be difficult.  Lastly, the Lifeproof armband is massive. 

#7 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

I have a GoPro for mounted shots, but I've been thinking about a rugged iPhone case that can take a beating so I can pull it out of my PFD pocket and take some quick shots. I've dropped enough stuff on my Viper and had it survive bouncing around the cockpit, but I wasn't sure if something like the Lifeproof case was up for that sort of accidental abuse. I used the Magellan case on my old iPhone and it survived everything except sinking. Actually, it probably survived that too, but I'll never know.

I'm impressed that you guys believe in the Lifeproof case. I'll have to give it a second look. Maybe with its lifejacket thing it might survive me.

Thanks

I drop my phone pretty frequently in the lifeproof and it has always been fine
Eve after a bad drop the phone is likely to be fine, but you should check that the case still looks waterproof
I don't have one of the life jacket things

#8 roverhi

roverhi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

Have the Incipo Atlas Case on my iPhone 5.  Bought it because of the glass, not plastic, screen.  Figured I"d scratch up a plastic screen which I haven't been able to do with the Incipio case.  Also easy to attach a lanyard to the phone.  Lost my last phone when the Otter Box holster decided to unclip as I climbed on the boat and the phone plunged 15' to the bottom.  Otter Box is not water proof but if it had a way to attach a lanyard,  would've saved the phone and money, big time.   Only problem I've had with the Incipio Case is Speakerphone transmit.   Callee's reported garbled speech so bad that It was unusable.  Discovered that opening the 'door' at the bottom solved the problem.  Haven't gone swimming with it yet and hope not to but is supposedly water proof to two meters.  Otherwize don't drop it in deep water you can't stand up in.  That seems to be a pretty standard depth limit for phones, btw.  Case also comes with a phone replacement guarantee if the case should fail.

http://www.idownload.../incipio-atlas/

#9 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:40 AM

I'm finally getting an iPhone 5S and looking again at waterproof cases, with or without lens enhancement.

Has anyone tried the Incipio Atlas ID?

http://www.incipio.c...proof-case.html

What about the Otterbox Preserver?

http://www.otterbox....default,pd.html

Or the Lifeproof Fre?

http://www.lifeproof.../iphone-5s-fre/

I am still considering one of the Hitcase models, but maybe not for daily use, since it seems like you have to pull it out of the case to charge.

Thanks,

jason

#10 roverhi

roverhi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Don't see a way to attach a lanyard to either the Otterbox or the Liteproof.  An important feature for me.  Have found from sailing experience with the phone and other hand held electrons, If you drop things in the ocean they better float or be attached to something to keep them from going to the bottom.

The Incipio Atlas ID looks to be a close copy of the Atlas I have for the iPhone 5 that I have.  You can attach a lanyard at the hinge on the Incipio.

#11 bacho

bacho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Rock crawling

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

I had been swearing by the lifeproof for several years now, it had worked great in water and keeping dust out. The dust being a bigger deal to me than the water was. My only complaint was the plastic screen tends to collect white marks and clouds up over time due to abuse. However last week I left my phone in my pants pocket and out it through the washer, which it let water in and bricked my iphone 5. I am gonna try an atlas model next.

#12 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

I had been swearing by the lifeproof for several years now, it had worked great in water and keeping dust out. The dust being a bigger deal to me than the water was. My only complaint was the plastic screen tends to collect white marks and clouds up over time due to abuse. However last week I left my phone in my pants pocket and out it through the washer, which it let water in and bricked my iphone 5. I am gonna try an atlas model next.

Which LifeProof case was it? The nuud or the fre?

Thanks,

jason

#13 Roller Skates

Roller Skates

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

Don't see a way to attach a lanyard to either the Otterbox or the Liteproof.  An important feature for me.  Have found from sailing experience with the phone and other hand held electrons, If you drop things in the ocean they better float or be attached to something to keep them from going to the bottom.

The Incipio Atlas ID looks to be a close copy of the Atlas I have for the iPhone 5 that I have.  You can attach a lanyard at the hinge on the Incipio.

My life proof has a little tab in it for a lanyard, bottom right corner on the 5 case. Look closelyer.

I just like it because it still fits in a pants pocket. You need a briefcase for the atlas or otterbox cases. Guess its better for incidental than the full rough up.

#14 bacho

bacho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Which LifeProof case was it? The nuud or the fre?

Thanks,

jason

Fre

#15 gjbike

gjbike

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:golf, photography,sailing

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

Had a chance to test my Nuud case from Lifeproof along with the Lifejacket foam flotation add-on. It was cold , rainy and windy. The case worked well- no issues. The foam jacket allowed me to leave it on deck less worried about losing  the phone if overboard. I got them both via Amazon. $71 for Nuud, $30 for Lifejacket. The Nuud is the thinest least bulky waterproof case I know of. Only slight drawback is the fingerprint security sensor doesn't work quite as well in the case. Voice qualitiy is fine. 

#16 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I just want to note what so far, is excellent warranty service by LifeProof

About a week ago, I dropped my ipad in the Fre case on my garage floor. The bezel piece around the display got cracked.

I bought the case this past june for about $100.

A few days later, I filled out the warranty form on the lifeproof website. within about an hour I got an email response from a human, asking for the serial numbers on the front and rear pieces of my case. These were not required info for submitting the form, so i had omitted them.

The next day I got an email saying my replacement is on the way.

They never asked how it broke.

#17 bacho

bacho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

I got my atlas case the other day. I like the glass screen much, but it certainly requires a heavier touch to control it. I like the headphone system on the atlas better, but the door for charging is easier to use on the lifeproof.

I did call incipio on a concern regarding a warranty registration error, I quickly got someone on the phone that was very friendly and helpful.

#18 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Cool. I'll have my Atlas any day now and report back if I have anything to add. Do you think the Atlas would fit in the orange floaty from LifeProof?

Even though I want waterproof protection for sailing, and drop protection for being outside, I'm really most worried about accidentally putting my phone in the same pocket as my keys!

Cheers,

jason

#19 bacho

bacho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm using the life jacket from the iPhone 4, my 5 fits in it but requires some extra effort. I haven't tried it yet but I think the atlas could be crammed into it as well. The outside dimensions seem very similar to the life proof.

#20 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Otterbox bought lifeproof last year or maybe in 2012. That is why the Preserver has so many attributes of the lifeproof. I have the Preserver on my iphone 5 and love it. I had a lifeproof on my 4 and the Preserver is superior in that the screen plastic is a much better fit. No dead spots, typing is quite good. No need for a headphone adapter. There is a lanyard spot on the preserver as well if you feel you need it.

Hope this helps.

Mark

#21 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Otterbox bought lifeproof last year or maybe in 2012. That is why the Preserver has so many attributes of the lifeproof. I have the Preserver on my iphone 5 and love it. I had a lifeproof on my 4 and the Preserver is superior in that the screen plastic is a much better fit. No dead spots, typing is quite good. No need for a headphone adapter. There is a lanyard spot on the preserver as well if you feel you need it.

Hope this helps.

Mark

#22 bacho

bacho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

I was unable to fit the ATLAS into the lifejacket.

#23 dudewood

dudewood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Just went out and bought the Lifeproof yesterday after reading this topic.

FYI, is does have a little thing on the bottom LH side where you could attached a lanyard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPhone, Hitcase, Optrix, Waterproof, Case, Camera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users