155 replies to this topic

#1 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Yes, we know it is just the first race in a long series, but at this rate The LVC is going to be excruciatingly long. Seemingly laying down from the start, Luna Rosa was beat like the red haired step child they are to the Kiwis, finishing over 5 minutes behind - therefore making it not a match at all. Luna Rosa went out without a fight, making us wonder what all the fuss was about.  

Certainly if you listened to the two cheerleaders announcing the race it was nothing but "fantastic stuff", as they peed all over themselves about the fact that two - two! - AC 72's managed to make it around the course without an incident. But the only thing fantastic thing was the nearly effortless beating administered by ETNZ. Head cheerleader Tucker Thompson signed off by saying "What a race it was" and we have to wonder what in the hell he was watching.  After getting over the size and speed of the 72's, the race itself was one of the least interesting imaginable.

Let's hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If it is, one will have to congratulate the AC for creating an event that magically turns these speed machines turn into a bore fest. Surely, there is more... 

#2 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

The speed difference between the boats was not as significant as the boat handling. ETNZ gained on every gybe, tack and rounding.

OR said they were in a different phase of their testing and that they will start working on their handling between now and the cup. They will need to get a bustle on to match that crew work.

The boats are spectacular. The venue is great. The TV coverage is great but we need on-board video and sound and less chatter from the commentators.

It will be dull for a while if you're not a kiwi fan. 

The racing starts at 0500 for me - so not really time to crack open a cold beer and watch.

Off to the boat now - go do some yachting of my own.

#3 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Very poor showing indeed by LR.

Might as well have been another 1-boat 'race' as far as that goes.

Hopefully, the Italians can do a lot better, otherwise ETNZ could be turning up at the event in September, well under prepared.

#4 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,535 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

ETNZ slapped the nipples off them. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

#5 davkt

davkt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Yacht racing
    Skiing
    Photography

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

And here I was thinking things would get better if there was more than one boat on the course at the same time, would seem not!

#6 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

The speed difference between the boats was not as significant as the boat handling. ETNZ gained on every gybe, tack and rounding.

OR said they were in a different phase of their testing and that they will start working on their handling between now and the cup. They will need to get a bustle on to match that crew work.

The boats are spectacular. The venue is great. The TV coverage is great but we need on-board video and sound and less chatter from the commentators.

Yes, watching virtual eye along with coverage the LR boat was often getting quite good speed up, then dropping off. We didn't see on the coverage but I'd guess they were dropping off the foils a little more?

OR will need to be pretty polished, but they do have time up their sleeves.

Agree that more coverage off the boats would drag this up from total boredom to slight tedium...

ETNZ slapped the nipples off them. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

My first laugh of Sunday morning... Thank you!

#7 oceaneer

oceaneer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:racing, fast cruising,
    Vintage cars, Large diesels, steam things...

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I loved the explanation of the wing sail.. WFT,, Do they know what they are taling about.

Or the penalty explanation again.. I was lost. 

Do we get better commentators at some point, I hope so as these 2 are not good.

Oceaneer

#8 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Women, Whiskey & Wine.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

What was the penalty and how did LR undertake it?

#9 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

LR clipped a boundary and got a 2 boat length penalty

but as etnz were ahead by about a km at that stage i think they umpires just erased the penalty when it appeared that LR were not powering out of the gybe? as quickly as they could have

but the killer for LR was the pre-start, the 15sec late that DB pinned on them seems to have cost them the point

AR should at once celebrate and despair 

#10 NZW

NZW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:umm ... sailing?

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Boats are incredible.

But once race underway and novelty of the huge speed numbers wore off, I got adjusted to time/distances being different - took about 1 leg each way - wasn't so very different to the monohull ACs for me.  

#11 moulet

moulet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Dirt track speedway

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

.........................so under the new AC rules boats must finish within 5 minutes of each other (as per our 2 commentators) , does this mean we have just witnessed the 4th straight one boat race?

#12 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

but as etnz were ahead by about a km at that stage i think they umpires just erased the penalty when it appeared that LR were not powering out of the gybe? as quickly as they could have

but the killer for LR was the pre-start, the 15sec late that DB pinned on them seems to have cost them the point

Yeah. Great start by DB, but honestly, even if LR had won that start, I'd doubt seriously they'd have stayed in front. A couple of out-of-phase flybys would have seen ETNZ ahead.

#13 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Makes me wonder what exactly AR hope to achieve by launching there boat? Won't PCs ego only end up more battered after they get there asses kicked worse than this - if there boat holds together. There is no way they can possibly compete on crew work without time on the water.

#14 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

The start had no bearing on the outcome. ETNZ could have lost the start and just sailed around them.

The only difference would have been that if LR had won the start, the might have actually finished.

#15 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Makes me wonder what exactly AR hope to achieve by launching there boat? Won't PCs ego only end up more battered after they get there asses kicked worse than this - if there boat holds together. There is no way they can possibly compete on crew work without time on the water.

Well, AR won't need to face ETNZ so maybe they can keep their losses to 5 minutes or so?

Certainly against ETNZ the difference would have to be 10 minutes+

#16 Living_in_a_box

Living_in_a_box

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Comment of the race for me - "Yes... The foils work like a water ski"

See! All the $$$ spent could have been saved. Just stick a fuckin water ski on it, and let's get racing...

#17 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

It looked to me like the VMG differences were very significant. Of course, ETNZ also gained on all the maneuvers. I'm still enjoying watching the boats and admiring the skill, but competition it ain't. 

#18 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

All the talk about the importance of being able to flybe well adds to the argument that, overall, you need to be able to do everything well because just one or two weaknesses will be killers.

With ETNZ performing almost everything flawlessly the bar is set very, very high. LR has a long way to go but may have time close the gap; the bar probably can't go too much higher.

#19 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yeah. Great start by DB, but honestly, even if LR had won that start, I'd doubt seriously they'd have stayed in front. A couple of out-of-phase flybys would have seen ETNZ ahead.

agree

LR never would have won

but they would have gotten a point 

if murry jones was leading forward in his chair the other day to watch the heli-shot of the etnz flybe

i guess the team will be carefully reviewing each of the many flybes seen in this race

is etnz going for a shock and awe campaign?

should they have left a little in the tank?

will JS focus even more intently now on trying to pin something on DB in the start box?

will he be the first to stall an ac72 trying to do so?

all these questions will be answered this fall... 

#20 Maldon

Maldon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Boats Boats Boats
    Fly fishing
    Boats

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Where were the throngs of spectators?  With a free venue and a beautiful day, seems like there would have been actual crowds.  From the heli shot after the finish it looked like 1,000 max at the Embarcadero.  Oh, I forgot.  We're not in France.

#21 RobinC

RobinC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

I watched the last twenty minutes with my 9 year old.  I had to explain what "a real shellacking" which is interesting because of course we don't really use shellac these days, but he does know about Varathane so that was a starting point. Of course in context, he immediately understood that "shellac" means the same as "owned" or "pwned" as the kids would have it. Or as in this case, "comprehensively pwned".

By the way in Canada I couldn't click through the youtube link from SA, or find on on the AC website, so searched AC RR2 R1 or something and got it.  It might just be a temporary technicality but I see the LV and AC finals are on Sportsnet in Canada which sounds like a good excuse to cause access problems for the whole series!

RC

#22 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Good on ETNZ. Smokin hot boat and crew. Well done, very impressed and somewhat worried. Great viewing, boring race, but what AC race hasn't been boring at some point.

#23 idontwan2know

idontwan2know

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

LR got exposed for what they are today. A joke of a challenge whose sole purpose was to give TNZ another vote in protocol matters and to poke a stick in the eye of Oracle.

Other observations:

1) The speed difference between the boats was significant. Yes, ETNZ gained in the maneuvers, but they didn't build a 2km lead on maneuvers.

2) LR drags the windward board a TON upwind.

3) I think 18 knots steady is as much as ETNZ wants to see on the course. Whether they can handle more safely is neither here nor there, but the boat clearly seemed overpowered and squirrelly in the puffs.

4) Whoever it was who said there wouldn't be significant speed differences upwind could not have been more wrong.

5) The idea that the course would keep the boats close if one is faster is also clearly disproven.

As I've said all along, in the first cycle of a new rule, there will big significant speed differences between the boats and the faster boat will win.

#24 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Where were the throngs of spectators?  With a free venue and a beautiful day, seems like there would have been actual crowds.  From the heli shot after the finish it looked like 1,000 max at the Embarcadero.  Oh, I forgot.  We're not in France.

Not sure about the rest of the course but the area between StFYC and GGYC was standng room only. Admitadly it seemed to be mostly the local racing crowd  and teams familys but still impressive.  TENZ got ovations for flybes, LR got sympathatic encouragements.

It was a blow out from the sea wall.

#25 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

AR have been exposed for what they. A joke of a challenge whose sole purpose was to give OR control of the LVC and to poke a stick in the eye of the deed.

>2) LR drags the windward board a TON upwind.

LR's most recent L boards seem to have a double kink in them the lower bearing can't cope with

meaning when fully retracted the board is a few feet lower than the hull

this means the windward hull needs to be higher to avoid dragging the blade  

#26 idontwan2know

idontwan2know

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

AR have been exposed for what they. A joke of a challenge whose sole purpose was to give OR control of the LVC and to poke a stick in the eye of the deed.

At least AR designed and built their own boats. They may have fucked it up, but they made the attempt.

LR bought a design for another team's B boat.

#27 NZK

NZK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

See! All the $$$ spent could have been saved. Just stick a fuckin water ski on it, and let's get racing...

Along with "there goes Team NZ, jumping out of the water like a whale" and "now she's dancing along more like a dolphin" I think we can chalk that commentary up as a resounding success.

Apparently the next broadcast will have Brick from Anchorman as the special guest....

#28 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

they made the attempt, they fucked up, someone died

i prefer the LR method

#29 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Surely the best quote was the one about crashing back to the water like a whale and sailing off like a dolphin, the other commentator was gving him heaps about it. 

#30 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Boats are incredible.

But once race underway and novelty of the huge speed numbers wore off, I got adjusted to time/distances being different - took about 1 leg each way - wasn't so very different to the monohull ACs for me.  

The issue is that without liveline showing numbers, there really is no indication on tv that they are going that fast.

so, might as well have lead mines that are actually good for match racing and are generally in the same patch of water, even in races with big margins

#31 Dougefresh

Dougefresh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Tucker Thompson appeals to the people who haven't spent most of their adult lives criticizing other sailors and boats, but who in the fuck is that other guy, and why would anyone choose to make him the spokesman for a tractor pull let alone an amazing display of a tractor smoking everyones expectations??

#32 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

It looked to me like the VMG differences were very significant. Of course, ETNZ also gained on all the maneuvers. I'm still enjoying watching the boats and admiring the skill, but competition it ain't. 

from the liveline graphics it looked like the boats lose about 80 - 100 metres in a tack.

couldnt see for a gybe, but presumably similar?

#33 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

All the talk about the importance of being able to flybe well adds to the argument that, overall, you need to be able to do everything well because just one or two weaknesses will be killers.

With ETNZ performing almost everything flawlessly the bar is set very, very high. LR has a long way to go but may have time close the gap; the bar probably can't go too much higher.

I'm still not 100% convinced that ETNZ are going "balls to the wall" and we might see a decent improvement when it counts

#34 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

agree

LR never would have won

if murry jones was leading forward in his chair the other day to watch the heli-shot of the etnz flybe

i guess the team will be carefully reviewing each of the many flybes seen in this race

will JS focus even more intently now on trying to pin something on DB in the start box?

I think ETNZ DID leave something in the tank

#35 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Not sure about the rest of the course but the area between StFYC and GGYC was standng room only. Admitadly it seemed to be mostly the local racing crowd  and teams familys but still impressive.  TENZ got ovations for flybes, LR got sympathatic encouragements.

It was a blow out from the sea wall.

Well, the tv coverage of the crowd I saw was excellent. It looked elbow to elbow in the village and despite how awry this AC has gone, would still love to be there

#36 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

It did look strange when their run to the finnish slowed to an IACC 'crawl' but I guess there must either have been a serious lull or they caugt someth on their foil or both

I m sure some wonderd for a moment if they planned to anchor for a nespresso so thay cd sail across the line togehter

#37 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Maybe, Stinger. But then again, what developments has ETNZ got to roll out still? Could be a third foil package and I'm not sure we've seen W3 yet.

Maybe ETNZ should retire NZL 5 for the rest of the LVC and roll out boat one again. It might keep the racing closer and therefore beneficial for both teams - or all three, if AR ever splash.

#38 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

The Bro got there next to StFYC at about 12pm and said it was wide open. As the start came along he said it had filled-in. Stayed on the phone with him during the race, but the delay from live to online was about 30-45 secs. Good commentary from him on things that were not shown in the video feed though.

This obviously has a lot of work left to do, and LR needs to get on it to make things interesting.

On the start it was just plain an experienced match race skipper on a multihull against a skiff sailor. DB and JS are going to be the masters of this thing, helm-wise. All they have had to do was transfer their monohull experience onto the multi. Learning the match racing game takes quite a while and I do not think CD or NO have very much at all, other than the ACWS.

#39 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

agree

LR never would have won

This is a most awesome post! derp.png

How much did you pay Da Woody to get his software that skips every other line and obfuscates the rest?

#40 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

On the start it was just plain an experienced match race skipper on a multihull against a skiff sailor.

I think Francesco Bruni brings a little more to the game than that...

#41 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,535 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

agree

LR never would have won

ETNZ was balls to the wall for the 1st downwind and upwind legs. They came down a peg after the apparent small issue with the port foil.

If they went all out for the entire race they would of had ETNZ-LR by 15 min

WetHog

#42 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

The realisation has suddenly dawned on Coutts that all the bravado of the last year or so personified by Jiminy's legendary "It's not about how much time you spend on the water!!" boils down to this: Jiminy has at most 6 weeks to mould his crew into a semblance of ETNZ's while at the same time coming to grips with a boat & new rudders they haven't spent 6 weeks with.

Keep an eye on NYSC boys...GGYC needs a plan C.

#43 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

ETNZ was balls to the wall for the 1st downwind and upwind legs

Agree 100%

I didn't see any of this mythical upwind foilng.  Bueler?

#44 pominfrance

pominfrance

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

The realisation has suddenly dawned on Coutts that all the bravado of the last year or so personified by Jiminy's legendary "It's not about how much time you spend on the water!!" boils down to this: Jiminy has at most 6 weeks to mould his crew into a semblance of ETNZ's while at the same time coming to grips with a boat & new rudders they haven't spent 6 weeks with.

I think  this might be quite a prophetic comment. I liked it today. Its early days

#45 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Maybe, Stinger. But then again, what developments has ETNZ got to roll out still? Could be a third foil package and I'm not sure we've seen W3 yet.

Maybe ETNZ should retire NZL 5 for the rest of the LVC and roll out boat one again. It might keep the racing closer and therefore beneficial for both teams - or all three, if AR ever splash.

If we want to be critical coaches, I could pick at least a dozen places where they had losses of more than a few boatlengths due to either trim, crewwork, handling or tactics.

The bar is high, but no where near it needs to be if OR brings their A game.

ORs problem will be water time doing the full course. They MUST start getting out there doing the full course at full intensity without stopping - even if there are mishaps along the way. Stay out long enough for a full race distance, then go back up the course and work on the bits identified during the course of the 'race'.

Anything else is holding hands with your mother.

#46 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,672 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

LR got exposed for what they are today. A joke of a challenge whose sole purpose was to give TNZ another vote in protocol matters and to poke a stick in the eye of Oracle.

Other observations:

1) The speed difference between the boats was significant. Yes, ETNZ gained in the maneuvers, but they didn't build a 2km lead on maneuvers.

2) LR drags the windward board a TON upwind.

3) I think 18 knots steady is as much as ETNZ wants to see on the course. Whether they can handle more safely is neither here nor there, but the boat clearly seemed overpowered and squirrelly in the puffs.

4) Whoever it was who said there wouldn't be significant speed differences upwind could not have been more wrong.

5) The idea that the course would keep the boats close if one is faster is also clearly disproven.

As I've said all along, in the first cycle of a new rule, there will big significant speed differences between the boats and the faster boat will win.

Looked to me LR has about the same point, but more leeway.

I see no reason for NZ to work up a 5 minute gap and then "leave something in the tank". They aren't going to change LR's thinking process by making it a 6 minute gap, it's well past, "tweek", and up to "something fucking majorly wrong" already.  Might have "left something in the tank"  for the whole race though.

It's gotta get better?

No it doesn't. In fact, LR may try something radical and go backwards. 

#47 Kaihoe

Kaihoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

DB said in a Mix Zone interview that TNZ only have 2 wings - there is no 3rd Wing.

#48 Kaihoe

Kaihoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

Yeah i think jimny will be regretting those comments, as we can all see it is about the time on water that counts in controlling these beasts at the speeds they are travelling at. 

#49 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Boats are incredible.

The issue is that without liveline showing numbers, there really is no indication on tv that they are going that fast.
so, might as well have lead mines that are actually good for match racing and are generally in the same patch of water, even in races with big margins

Couldn't agree more and with the exception of this forum this opinion is growing . Days like this are only going to encourage and support the next change for AC 35 .

#50 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Six weeks with two boats equals twelve weeks training time if you want to be accurate :)

#51 axolotl

axolotl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Camping

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

A typical early LV race when a new class is introduced.  Back in the San Diego days, finish differentials approached 15 minutes in some races.  LR looks like a slow boat with less than stellar boathandling.  We shall see as the summer progresses.

#52 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts
  • Interests:The basic principle of sportsmanship and fair play, friendly competition ...

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

I was surprised that Youtube could handle the massive numbers of people tuning in to see the brave new world of the AC! There were over 12,000 viewers at one point!

Wow

I was so wound up and emotionally drained I had to take a nap ...

:-)

^ (sarcasm)

#53 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

ETNZ is the only team that seems to have taken actual sailing serious.  They got started early and have been practicing while other teams have played politics so are behind at start time.  

#54 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

Max>

“I am obviously not happy with this result, but the positive aspect is that a significant part of our gap can be attributed to factors that we can easily improve such as maneuvers and boat handling. We certainly have to also improve the performance of the boat, especially upwind, but also for this we have a series of new technical developments that will soon be ready. We have always said that the Round Robins are a necessary phase in our learning and technical development process, all of which are necessary to be competitive in the Semi Finals.”

#55 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

Max>

“I am obviously not happy with this result, but the positive aspect is that a significant part of our gap can be attributed to factors that we can easily improve such as maneuvers and boat handling. We certainly have to also improve the performance of the boat, especially upwind, but also for this we have a series of new technical developments that will soon be ready. We have always said that the Round Robins are a necessary phase in our learning and technical development process, all of which are necessary to be competitive in the Semi Finals.”

Notice he didn't say "win the Semi-Finals"

#56 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

agree

LR never would have won

This is a most awesome post! derp.png

How much did you pay Da Woody to get his software that skips every other line and obfuscates the rest?

hey

i was the original lower caste, double spacer!

#57 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

While the boats are spectacular, the match racing SUCKS.  Its boring.

I would love to see 90 ft monos in Auckland in 2016!!

#58 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

from the liveline graphics it looked like the boats lose about 80 - 100 metres in a tack.

MrSurly posted a polar on the unscientific thread. ETNZ did better at everything. Even ignoring the turns LR didn't have competitive straight line VMG.

#59 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

For the unimpressed naysayers here- Just think back to the old days of dragging lead:

Crossing the start line at 31 knots!

Hauling a** to weather at 21 knots- in 16 knots of wind..

Great Flybing- nearly faultlessly too, with little loss of speed. 36 knots to 35 knots in a few seconds.  

Note that US.Sailing's only recent comments distinguishing catamarans from other sailing boats is: "they tack slowly". At least Mr. Jobson is not in evidence.

#60 Headntac

Headntac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Sailing in general.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

Along with "there goes Team NZ, jumping out of the water like a whale" and "now she's dancing along more like a dolphin" I think we can chalk that commentary up as a resounding success.

Apparently the next broadcast will have Brick from Anchorman as the special guest....

Wheres Roy And HG when you need them....I think they would do a bang up job  on the commentary... :D

#61 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

agree

LR never would have won

ETNZ was balls to the wall for the 1st downwind and upwind legs. They came down a peg after the apparent small issue with the port foil.

If they went all out for the entire race they would of had ETNZ-LR by 15 min

WetHog

Not convinced they were balls 2 wall for first 2 legs, but who knows.

However, I can only assume you are joking about 15 minutes, cos that just ain't possible.

I'm not sure ETNZ could even beat AR by THAT much

#62 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

No real surprise that this event has been nothing but trashed for over two years and we've had a grand total of one two boat race.

Also no surprise you would post something as stupid as the USCG doesn't give a fuck about safety. What a moron.

90's monos will never happen, but please hold your breath :) .

#63 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

ETNZ was balls to the wall for the 1st downwind and upwind legs

Agree 100%

I didn't see any of this mythical upwind foilng.  Bueler?

An don't think you will.

Kiwing and I have a lunch riding on this with him betting there will be.

#64 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

Six weeks with two boats equals twelve weeks training time if you want to be accurate :)

Thats like saying if you drive your car head on into another car where you are both going 100 km/h that its like hitting the all at 200km/h

Sounds right initially, but just aint true.

In 6 weeks of training, each crew can get at most *tada* 6 weeks experience.

Will that be enough? Who knows, but its still 6 weeks

#65 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Scooter on a binge of blaming race organizers, no matter what race. Pravda sucked, NZ is better and faster. But noooo, let's not talk about that, let's blame the organizers.

Artemis should just go home, now.

#66 christom

christom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

Wheres Roy And HG when you need them....I think they would do a bang up job  on the commentary... :D

+1

#67 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

Scooter on a binge of blaming race organizers, no matter what race. Pravda sucked, NZ is better and faster. But noooo, let's not talk about that, let's blame the organizers.

Artemis should just go home, now.

Scooter? I must have missed that nickname. Is that Cayard?

#68 dun

dun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Thats like saying if you drive your car head on into another car where you are both going 100 km/h that its like hitting the all at 200km/h

Sounds right initially, but just aint true.

In 6 weeks of training, each crew can get at most *tada* 6 weeks experience.

Will that be enough? Who knows, but its still 6 weeks

so far the "tow boat training" has been photo shoots, and to prove the fact that only OR can

#69 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

agree

LR never would have won

heard here first, etnz toptanks lr
and the ed beats his gf's kids
and now more news

#70 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

No real surprise that this event has been nothing but trashed for over two years and we've had a grand total of one two boat race.

Also no surprise you would post something as stupid as the USCG doesn't give a fuck about safety. What a moron.

And the tone of the discourse on this thread was quite civil until you arrived and pissed in the soup

You're capable of intelligent commentary. Please try harder in future.

We'd all appreciate it.

#71 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

And the tone of the discourse on this thread was quite civil until you arrived and pissed in the water. 

We'd all appreciate it.

And when you demand others admit when they're wrong and they do, why don't you do the same ?

We'd all appreciate it.

#72 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

I've been musing along similar lines.

There are some impressive folk in the Artemis bunch and surely they've got their structural difficulties sorted this time. 

What's more the blue boat is bound to foil right out of the box.  After all, ETNZ did and without drama.

However today's LR vs ETNZ match vividly illustrates the importance of team work honed by time afloat

The honourable thing to do would be to complete two or three days of test runs before withdrawing "for the good of The Cup" without ever starting in a LV race.

Of course that would elevate ETNZ to CoR. 

Even if he can see the futility of pressing on, and you've got to believe he can, Cayard will never bring himself to altering the balance of power.  

#73 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

And the tone of the discourse on this thread was quite civil until you arrived and pissed in the water. 

We'd all appreciate it.

And when you demand others admit when they're wrong and they do, why don't you do the same ?

We'd all appreciate it.

Your standard tactic.  Changing the subject. 

#74 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Even if he can see the futility of pressing on, and you've got to believe he can, Cayard will never bring himself to altering the balance of power.  

Not "altering the balance of power" is PC's big concern? Really?

On what planet might that be the groupthink? Yikes..

#75 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

.........................so under the new AC rules boats must finish within 5 minutes of each other (as per our 2 commentators) , does this mean we have just witnessed the 4th straight one boat race?

DNS for a one boat race - DNF for being late to finish, points value is the same though :D

#76 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

>2) LR drags the windward board a TON upwind.

LR's most recent L boards seem to have a double kink in them the lower bearing can't cope with

meaning when fully retracted the board is a few feet lower than the hull

this means the windward hull needs to be higher to avoid dragging the blade  

They are supposed to have a line to indicate when the foil is raised to within 500mm of the hull (or MWP - haven't checked which it is). If they don't get it up to the line they are in trouble..

#77 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

We'd all appreciate it.

We'd all appreciate it.

Just stating the facts.

How about you - unwilling to man-up and admit you were wrong ?

The truth shouldn't be that hard to admit unless your pride won't let you.

#78 christom

christom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

It did look strange when their run to the finnish slowed to an IACC 'crawl' but I guess there must either have been a serious lull or they caugt someth on their foil or both

I m sure some wonderd for a moment if they planned to anchor for a nespresso so thay cd sail across the line togehter

Tried to help LR keep within 5 mins

#79 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

another reason why those fruity boats gotta' go, because that was fucking silly. there's better racing in the VOR. 

#80 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

another reason why those fruity boats gotta' go, because that was fucking silly. there's better racing in the VOR. 

Good for you - leave and go follow the VOR then. Have fun.

#81 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

At least AR designed and built their own boats. They may have fucked it up, but they made the attempt.

LR bought a design for another team's B boat.

And how have they been going?

#82 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

Before everybody joins Coutts in lambpooning Italy, just remember Theres no compeling evidence yet that Luna Rosa is not the second fasted AC72 in the contest

#83 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

We'd all appreciate it.

We'd all appreciate it.

Just stating the facts.

How about you - unwilling to man-up and admit you were wrong ?

The truth shouldn't be that hard to admit unless your pride won't let you.

It's difficult to admit that I said or did something wrong in a 80-post thread when all I did was request you stop dragging down the standard of discussion. 

So far, I've been spectacularly unsuccessful  while contributing to massive thread drift  :ph34r:!

#84 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Good for you - leave and go follow the VOR then. Have fun.

take it easy, it's just a little boat race, and you ain't in it, soiler. live and let live

#85 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Before everybody joins Coutts in lambpooning Italy, just remember Theres no compeling evidence yet that Luna Rosa is not the second fasted AC72 in the contest

and to top it off I think TNZ's shoes are pretty good as well - Campers?

#86 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

ETNZ was a lot faster up wind. There wasn't a big difference downwind.
Tnz slowed down at the end due to the short run off after the finishing line. They were playing safe.

#87 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

So lets see.... TNZ  beats the snot out of LR, like a pitbull vs a chihuahua. Bitch slapped. So bad that LR are DQ they are so far behind (loved how they changed the time to avoid this embarrassment). So every LR vs TNZ will be a blowout. Anyone vs AR is a blowout (if they even can compete).

Wake me up in Sept when TNZ faces OR. See you then.

#88 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Monster Mash said it well: TNZ is light years ahead of LR. And will be in another universe vs AR. See you in Sept.

#89 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

ETNZ was a lot faster up wind. There wasn't a big difference downwind.
Tnz slowed down at the end due to the short run off after the finishing line. They were playing safe.

Didint seem to be an issue for the solo races

I seam to remember them hammer down all the way to the line in R1. PRO would be in the gun if the runout area is not safe and suficcient for two boats neck &neck at 45 knots

Those boats weigh < 8000 kg , dont carry there way when they come off the foils

#90 wavesailsnz

wavesailsnz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Aero & Hydrodynamics, Design & Development of Sails, Rigging, Yachts and Equipment

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'm still not 100% convinced that ETNZ are going "balls to the wall" and we might see a decent improvement when it counts

For sure it still has the usual 15% GST refund on the full amount to burn, we all do make use of it when need arises ...

#91 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Does the "go to court and you're out of the cup" clause cover OR too?

#92 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

If LR put in more time on the water and brush up on their boat handling both around corners and in a straight line, we should have a boat race, particularly if they win the start.

Fark, it is the first boat on boat race in the LV. I can see these races getting a lot closer. Then you also have the potential for gear failure. Not over until the fat lady sings.

AR, no doubt they will also put a lot of hours in once the new boat hits the water. Unfortunately I don't think they will have enough time to get upto the same standard ETNZ and LR will be at the back end of the series. Without their tragic setback, they may have had a slight chance.

#93 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yes, applies to all Competitors but not to the trustee, GGYC.

#94 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,672 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Max>

doqkaf.jpg

#95 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

any guesses as to how LR and OR compare? :)

#96 Oneyoti

Oneyoti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

After getting over the size and speed of the 72's, the race itself was one of the least interesting imaginable.

And that I why I have always maintained Big Cats and match racing just isn't a match made in heaven, later matches might prove me wrong, but I fear not.

#97 JJD

JJD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Sailing boxing adventure

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Thats some pretty fucked up logic Max, unless Ole Jimbo is so darn good he can sail two boats at once.....

#98 BeachbumII

BeachbumII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

When the downwind sails were ditched, one element of sailboat racing was totally lost: Sail change-manouvers. Theres a lot less things to fuck up, when you are drag racing with 2 sails and have only the foils to worry about.

#99 LDD

LDD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Club racing (phrf)

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Less exciting than playing badminton with my 4 year old...

#100 dun

dun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

< 6 weeks, i love all the "2 month of dev" dreamlanders on here....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users