#1 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Sailing Photography and ski-ing

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Check out this Video from the Optimist pre-worlds. Just after 1min in two Melges decide not to bear away a couple of degreese to avoid the fleet, but just plow though the Optimists coming into their mark on Starboard, while the Melges are on Port......

http://vimeo.com/70211210

#2 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

If that's not grounds for a life ban I don't know what is.Unfukinbelievable.Someone should be able to name and shame from the sail No's.

#3 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Well said...

#4 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Total fuckwits. Shouldn't be too hard to work out who they so the appropriate naming & shaming can commence.

Side note though. How lucky are those Opti kids to be sailing in that venue.

#5 rumpig

rumpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Those guys have got to be kidding, whoever is steering those 2 boats should be banned for life

#6 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,519 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Were the Melges racing as well? No excuse for carving through the fleet though.

Just wondering?

#7 Autograph

Autograph

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

That could get you on the child abuse register here.

So, there were, what, 10 guys on the melges, none of them engaged brains? It's shaped like a wedge, lets use it like one?

Makes jet skiers look like responsible citizens.

#8 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

Then at 3 min. they jibe. So they didn't need to go through there for any reason. Just stupid. I agree with taking away the keys for life.

#9 Blownout

Blownout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:beating you

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

the opties had dozens of power boats tailing them and not one rib could buzz the m32's and set them straight?

#10 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

the opties had dozens of power boats tailing them and not one rib could buzz the m32's and set them straight?

K-zacly!  We call it "Rodney Patrol" during frostbite racing on the CT River...

#11 SHNOOL

SHNOOL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:sailing.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wow motorboaters sail too?

#12 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Anybody figure out who the first two boats are? I couldn't see the #s. Name names.

#13 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Damn those fucking nitwits on the Melges! Talk about the opposite of sportsmanship and common sense-jeez I hope they face serious sanctions.

#14 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Throw it up on the "front page" Plenty of negative energy it this video

#15 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

if it was one of my kids in the opti, the fucking melges would be sitting on the bottom right now.

#16 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

WTF.  That is among the worst behavior I have ever seen on a race course, at least by competitors that should know far better.   Publicly shaming is the least those idiots should endure, being forced to listen to Bull Gator ala Clockwork Orange is a more suitable punishment.

#17 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

By "Rodney Patrol" I was indeed referring to the clueless motorboaters confused by 3 or 4 different classes of dinghys and Etchells covering the River from side to side sometimes inn early spring and fall.  The mark boats will lead them through the fleet, or even block them if they are throwing too big a wake or endangering a sailor....  Similar should have been done to the M32.

#18 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

It's mind boggling to try to dumb down what those idiots were thinking. Where was this regatta?

#19 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Lake Garda, Italy.

MELGES 32 Audi Sailing Series 2013

Optimist (Pre) World Champs

I don't think any of the safetly fleet considered that a couple of fully tooled up Melges would do anthing so stupid! Especially fully powered up down wind!

Looks like the Melges bizzarly decided to gybe arround the Opti reach mark - rather than gybe 3 or 4 boat lenghts earlier.

Very lucky none of the kids got hurt. Hopefully it won't put them off sailing and racing.

#20 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Kids might of cared less and thought it was funny that a real race boat sailed with them.

Fucking bunch of nanny's running around

#21 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Before getting out the pitchforks and/or torches, how much room was actually there to thread the M32's through there? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, but it may not have been as bad as the Opti dad doing play by play went on about. After all, they DID make it through without squashing any small children.

#22 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Before getting out the pitchforks and/or torches, how much room was actually there to thread the M32's through there? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, but it may not have been as bad as the Opti dad doing play by play went on about. After all, they DID make it through without squashing any small children.

People complaining  here could probable not even get a M32 off the dock let alone race one.

#23 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Forget the kids aspect - would you be happy to change course while sailing on starboard for a port tack boat? Forget racing even - would you sail on port tack through a bunch of starboard tack boats just out sailing just because you are bigger?

We all hate it when operators of various power boats use the "I'm bigger get out of my way" COLREGS :rolleyes:

#24 Fmarx

Fmarx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

ITA-212, Helmsman: Lanfranco Cirillo

Look:
http://www.melges32....s-4_cleared.htm

He has a facebook-account ;-)

#25 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

People complaining  here could probable not even get a M32 off the dock let alone race one.

Really?.  That is the lamest excuse I've heard since the Bill Clinton "But I didn't inhale" answer.  

#26 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Really?.  That is the lamest excuse I've heard since the Bill Clinton "But I didn't inhale" answer.  

thanks for making my point

#27 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Sunfish Mid-Winters one year, 105 boats on the line in about 5 knots and a Cigarette style boat comes plowing through the middle of the line a couple of minutes after the start, sub-planing which meant he could not see directly ahead for about a 100 yards.

You would expect the M32 guys to have some respect for the kids, especially if it is the Worlds. Buzzing to leeward of the Opti's would be OK, but plowing through the middle?

Boneheads.

#28 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Was that an M32 event that had a course overlap and was that an Opti race or just practice? Regardless, the M's looked to me as if they were too close to the kids.

#29 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Are you really that fucking dense?.

#30 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

The tools are flogging their kites to get enough height  to screw over the real sailors.

#31 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

People in the video could not sail a Melges either judging by, 

1) the lack of knowledge of the rules

2) choosing a stupid place to gybe and

3) the mess they made of the eventual gybe.

BTW Not an Opti Dad - but team coach on the video camera.

#32 10thTonner

10thTonner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Were the Melges racing as well? No excuse for carving through the fleet though.

Just wondering?

Hope so. At least they could be DGM'd. 

#33 jocksinclair

jocksinclair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

First asshole through was Brontolo HH (ITA-667) skippered by Filippo Pacinotti.

Second asshole through was Bribon-Movistar (ESP-226) skippered by Marc de Antonio Altimira

flame away

edit: @sailingDad - bribon went on to win the event, so as stupid as it looks, they can clearly sail

#34 jokerx9

jokerx9

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

There is no question the Melges were way too close. There is a safety concern here. One wrong move and you could have serious injuries. Ban them because they clearly cannot drive a boat. Also, why did know patrol boats see this coming and do something. If it were me, I would have parked my boat right in front of them, making them gybe away or hit me. You would see them cry like little girls when their boat is in pieces. 

#35 sjb

sjb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Being able to handle a fast squirrelly boat is not a license to be a douche.

Too bad the coach in the RIB didn't have a broken shackle on hand. You chuck it up into the sails so it drops to the deck. Then you can watch all the big time crew on the Melges scramble around trying to figure out what broke.

#36 sjb

sjb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Too bad the coach in the RIB didn't have a broken shackle on hand. You chuck it up into the sails so it drops to the deck. Then you can watch all the big time crew on the Melges scramble around trying to figure out what broke.

#37 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

what a bunch of fukwits, I mean really, what if one of the kids dumped downwind and one of those dipshits didn't have time to react!!

unbelievable

#38 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

People in the video could not sail a Melges either judging by, 
1) the lack of knowledge of the rules
2) choosing a stupid place to gybe and
3) the mess they made of the eventual gybe.

BTW Not an Opti Dad - but team coach on the video camera.

Opti coach

That explains a lot.
Thanks for the clarification.

#39 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

"Audi - sponsoring reckless driving everywhere..."  Not the message you'd want out there.

#40 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Shackle?
Dude you are stuck in so last century

#41 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

what a bunch of fukwits, I mean really, what if one of the kids dumped downwind and one of those dipshits didn't have time to react!!

unbelievable

So if this was such a big deal why did no opti protest for a rule violation or was there none

#42 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

edit: @sailingDad - bribon went on to win the event, so as stupid as it looks, they can clearly sail

Incredible bad manners to crash straight through another fleets course right at a turning mark.

Probably sailed passed  yelling 'do you know who I am!" :)

#43 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

That's not what I was saying at all! I was implying that a zoomed in camera shooting from the side isn't the best at showing how much room was actually there.

I wasn't taking sides with the M32's, and certainly not randomly insulting the others on this thread!

#44 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

unbelievable

So if this was such a big deal why did no opti protest for a rule violation or was there none

they wernt racing each other dude ! What rule would they protest under....

#45 gregj1

gregj1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Shackle?

he sure is.  you? you're stuck being an asshole

where is that ignore button?

#46 HKG1203

HKG1203

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

I was there! It was one of the scariest things in my life. we came to the spreader mark and bore away for the downwind. I went wide for some clear air and saw 3 or 4 melges coming downwind. Managed to dodge them all but i know some people who didn't. My teammate ripped a melges kite as the melges bore away on to them and broached breaking their burgee while the other one got a scratch on their boat. Luckily this was the last day of the melges regatta so they won't be here for the worlds itself!

#47 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

That's not what I was saying at all! I was implying that a zoomed in camera shooting from the side isn't the best at showing how much room was actually there.

I wasn't taking sides with the M32's, and certainly not randomly insulting the others on this thread!

Looks like the Melges had to take a bit a evasive action  - the sails flogging etc  - so probably not a lot of room.

#48 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I was there! It was one of the scariest things in my life. we came to the spreader mark and bore away for the downwind. I went wide for some clear air and saw 3 or 4 melges coming downwind. Managed to dodge them all but i know some people who didn't. My teammate ripped a melges kite as the melges bore away on to them and broached breaking their burgee while the other one got a scratch on their boat. Luckily this was the last day of the melges regatta so they won't be here for the worlds itself!

Sounds like the rock start Melges sailors being idiots. Well done for dodging them.

#49 HKG1203

HKG1203

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

unbelievable

Do you think a 14 year old opti sailor will be able to win a protest against a professional melges 32 race team?

#50 jocksinclair

jocksinclair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

with a video they might...

#51 nbb

nbb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

People that have more money than brains. I don't think I've seen anything dumber than this while sailing.

#52 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

What assholes. The Opti kids need to be given hand drills at night and sent swimming in the Melges docks.

#53 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

unbelievable

WoW coach you might get one of those rule book thingies and look at part 1 and then 63.8

#54 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

unbelievable

Do you think a 14 year old opti sailor will be able to win a protest against a professional melges 32 race team?

Yes

#55 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Makes no difference whether they were racing each other. If both boats are racing, RRS applies.

Whether there was a rules violation isn't clear from the video. A breach of good manners, common sense and consideration for children seems pretty clear.

As for getting a M32 off the dock, I reckon I could manage that. Feck's sake it's just a keelboat.

#56 HKG1203

HKG1203

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

By "Rodney Patrol" I was indeed referring to the clueless motorboaters confused by 3 or 4 different classes of dinghys and Etchells covering the River from side to side sometimes inn early spring and fall.  The mark boats will lead them through the fleet, or even block them if they are throwing too big a wake or endangering a sailor....  Similar should have been done to the M32.

They were doing this but the melges kept going. I saw one rib almost get run over

#57 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Makes no difference whether they were racing each other. If both boats are racing, RRS applies.

Whether there was a rules violation isn't clear from the video. A breach of good manners, common sense and consideration for children seems pretty clear.

As for getting a M32 off the dock, I reckon I could manage that. Feck's sake it's just a keelboat.

As a "coach" if he was so concerned there would have been a protest lodged. Uner rule 2 or 69 or a specific incident.
This looks more like a nanny parent being outraged over a non incident and trying to get hits for his poor quality video

#58 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I love the theory that being a Melges sailor (really BFD) > COLREGS :rolleyes:

#59 Masterpiece

Masterpiece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Well... sailing of course!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

the first asshole on video... Melges 32 Porto Cervo - Filippo Pacinotti - Brontolo - YouTube

#60 Masterpiece

Masterpiece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Well... sailing of course!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

You can leave a comment on his Facebook page too!  ;)

#61 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

First asshole through was Brontolo HH (ITA-667) skippered by Filippo Pacinotti.

Second asshole through was Bribon-Movistar (ESP-226) skippered by Marc de Antonio Altimira

http://www.linkedin....notti/6/617/3b3

http://www.linkedin....imira/62/baa/55

#62 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

They were doing this but the melges kept going. I saw one rib almost get run over

Dude
Thete is a reason most video footage is discounted
In a protest hearing

#63 johno vegas

johno vegas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:wife, sailing, getting my kids sailing.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

fuckers are here http://www.melges32....Carlo_Borlenghi

#64 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

unbelievable

So kids sailing Optis should protest because the adults on the Melgis couldn't bear off five degrees for thirty seconds and pass to leeward avoiding a dangerous situation?. Nice logic there.

#65 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

You can leave a comment on his Facebook page too!  ;)

Is it this guy? https://www.facebook...lippo.pacinotti

Holy shit.  My friend's son was in that regatta.  The bowsprit on an M32 is at almost exactly the height of a kid's head. 

Fucking piece of shit heeds to be waterboarded and without question booted from ISAF for life.  

#66 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Dude
Thete is a reason most video footage is discounted
In a protest hearing

HKG1203 was there. Sailing an Optimist. He's describing what he saw with his own eyes.

#67 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

1st reaction, how fortunate to grow up racing big fleets in gourgeous venues.
2nd, full helicopter adult action, which is reasonable until a certain age, i guess.
3rd, i guess the melgi are staying high trying to get into the cliff compression sooner, rather than stay as low as possible, looks from the results that may have been an important part of the quiver.
4th, theeading the needle is fine as long as you do not foul, sounds like multiple fouling, not good, probably good to see some accountibilty, 69 wise.
5th why do so many think it fine to wake others in watching your kids? Not to mention cheering on from inside the field, close to managing.

#68 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

unbelievable

So kids sailing Optis should protest because the adults on the Melgis couldn't bear off five degrees for thirty seconds and pass to leeward avoiding a dangerous situation?. Nice logic there.

Dude it's not just that.  Remember, the fucking M32 is on PORT tack.  I can't make out in the video where he leaves the Opti's rounding mark but i think he leaves it to ... wait for it ... starboard.  Those little kids are happily sailing along on starboard minding their own business when this guy blasts in at about 15 knots ready to skewer them with his sprit.  This is simply appalling.  I'm going to go throw up now. 

#69 HKG1203

HKG1203

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Another thing, The melges course was on the other side of the lake. The 2 courses were set as far apart as possible for this reason. In the opti fleet the SIs said they were planning to race in the middle to prevent the race being boring and everyone going hard right. But becasue of the melges regata we went off to the cliff. This is fair enough as its a fairly important regatta for the melges. However, The melges are gybing on there extreme layline to their gate. It was almost like they were trying to hit us. I couldnt see why the shouldnt play the left shore next to their corse and get the same outcome, it would have worked better as they could not even get to the right hand cliff.

#70 frostbit

frostbit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Forget port/starboard. If it happens as it appears to have happened, this is just utter disregard for human life. Those kids are great sailors, but an Opti cannot avoid a melges32, particularly if it suddenly accelerates and wipes out. This is hubris. This is arrogance. This is entitlement. How is this any different than what happened at Clear Lake, except nobody, by the grace of god, actually got hurt? Apologies, mea culpas, and pledges to never do again are the bare minimum for reclaiming status as a racer. Demonstrating capacity for human being status may take more time.

#71 knoodle

knoodle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is it just me or does he look like a pederast? 

Posted Today, 06:12 PM

jocksinclair, on 14 Jul 2013 - 16:59, said:snapback.png

First asshole through was Brontolo HH (ITA-667) skippered by Filippo Pacinotti.

Second asshole through was Bribon-Movistar (ESP-226) skippered by Marc de Antonio Altimira

http://www.linkedin....notti/6/617/3b3

http://www.linkedin....imira/62/baa/55

#72 knoodle

knoodle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Send him a message on facebook imploring him to give up sailing. Seems he likes racing cars: maybe he (and his italian ego) are better suited there. 

#73 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

1) I wouldn't hang a dog on long distance small camera telephoto
2) Any observer could have filed a complaint under RRS69 if justified
3) Some coaches and organisers of youth classes can be unbelievably arrogant and stupid: I recall one leading his charges through the downwind leg of a Cherub and (foiling) Moth championships in serious breeze, leaving us to sail round these effectively stationary objects in the water that weren't even racing.
4) Personally I'd have gybed off early, not gone anywhere near them and b*****r my race strategy.

#74 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Jim C which part of them hitting other boats are you trying to defend. The fact that it was a kids fleet of boats they went into just makes it morally worse, the fact that HKG1203's team mate got away with just a broken burgee is lucky for the Melges. What if they had caught the top of her mast and dragged her over?
The guys needed to be named and shamed for being the idiots that they are.

#75 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Again if no protest then there was no serious incident.
Thats is what the RRS are for. If there was an incident then the outrage should be directed at the adults who did not make sure there was a filing.

#76 weedz

weedz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

As a melges sailor and sailing fan, i am emberrassed to see this happen. Cut the ego's. give these guys a1 yr ban under fair sailing and sportsmenship ( rule nr1 in sailing). It is not OK to race across an opti field with a yacht double the size and triple speed. The most scary thing is, 90 % of the crew on these boats are calling themselves PRO's... If they are what they mean, than stand up, pull out from racing and give the opti kids a free ride on lake Garda to earn some respect back.

#77 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Indicate your outrage to the sponsor. 

#78 Lake Shark

Lake Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:boats, babes, and brews

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

The majority of opti patents are not sailors so expecting the young sailors parents to get their kids to file a protest is dumb as shit. The coaches probably should have had a few choice words for the melges sailors but the video doesn't show that. And convincing a 13 year old to protest a boat full of pros is out of the question. This in incident is something the two class associations need to talk about

#79 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

I would say that the Elvsrom dictum is more appropriate than ever here.  I say to Mr. Pacinotti: congrats on your M32 world title, dickhead.

#80 postpast

postpast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Old Cars, Old Heavy Equipment, Sailing, Fixing Sail Boats,

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Wow, that is retarded. I think a lifetime ban would be going easy on them. Wouldn't be surprised if a parent tracked the asshats down and ended them with a baseball bat.

#81 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Changing topic slightly: in an inter-race foul, what is the appropriate penalty? DSQ I assume, correct?

#82 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

As a "coach" if he was so concerned there would have been a protest lodged. Uner rule 2 or 69 or a specific incident.
This looks more like a nanny parent being outraged over a non incident and trying to get hits for his poor quality video

Why the inverted commas? are you implying that I am lying?

I have already said that I "know" that this was taken by a coach and not a parent. 

We have here an eye witness acccount by one of the Opti sailors involved.

And still you continue to want to believe in the 'infalability of the Melges sailors/ nanny parent" narative you have put forward.

Good luck :)

#83 alibee

alibee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Can't find an email address but have tweeted a link to the video to @AudiSailing

First time I've ever used my twitter account, feel ancient now....

#84 SA's Sockpuppet Godess

SA's Sockpuppet Godess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Anoying others on SA espeically the animals in PA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Many years ago as an Optimist Pram sailor,
I filed a protest against an EScow when I was fouled in a similar situation and the EScow was tossed.
Perhaps I was only eight and only racing in my fourth season as a skipper but, like most of the other kids who were that old and experienced, I had a decent comprehension of the racing rules.
In my case I hailed for room as we both approached a permanent mark each fleet was using and the skipper replied, "Room Schmoom" causing me to wait for his boat to pass, fly my flag and hail (use your best little kid squeaky voice here) PROTEST!!!
These Opti kids were at a Worlds. I know for certain each one has at least as good or a much better comprehension of the rules than little me had. Had any one of them felt the mood to protest the big boats, they knew exactly with what rule and exactly why and ...
The fact none of the kids filed s protest suggests none of the kids considered the incident to be significant.

I am going to respect the kids on this one and assume the photographer and those of us who only have the same view as the photographer are upset about something that didn't really happen.

The fleet of kids was surrounded by adults whose presence indicates they cared about the kids and sailboat racing.

Once again; I will respect those adults by assuming they did the right thing as well.

My impression from afar is the guy on the camera was misinterpreting the situation from a poor viewing angle.

Repeating,
The lack of concern expressed by the very aware kids xnd the other very aware adults indicates I should share their lack of concern.

+1

#85 J24_guy

J24_guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Scrolling down the guy's Facebook page, I get the feeling Mr. Pacinotti, ummm, doesn't like girls.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#86 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Shackle?

Putting VwaP on "Ignore" is the second best thing I have done on these Forums.

#87 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Fillipo is a VP at AB Medica http://www.abmedica.it/  VPs are not supposed to act in ways that bring disrepute to their company... send mail to the company

Marc is the Director General (ie CEO ) ofe http://www.ubica-id....en/home/estudio Ubica Design studio... and while he probably owns it he probably has partners that care.  Send mail to the company

IOW the threat to their jobs is probably more likely to have an effectt

#88 SA's Sockpuppet Godess

SA's Sockpuppet Godess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Anoying others on SA espeically the animals in PA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

We have here an eye witness acccount by one of the Opti sailors involved.

)

Actually?? I doubt the credibility of that post.
And
The alleged Opti sailor didn't bother to file a protest so I have difficulty bring enraged when one who was present and allegedly affected was not sufficiently bothered to even file a protest .

Some of you are advocating Issuance of a lifetime ban for annoying us from afar?? Really??

#89 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Shackle?

Putting VwaP on "Ignore" is the second best thing I have done on these Forums.

Go back to pa and see that you have read every post multiple times. Ha ha ha you are another another non racer on this site

#90 Motorsickle

Motorsickle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Anarchy

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Vwap is one of the most annoying and immature trolls on SA but on this issue I find myself somewhat agreeing with his originsl angle.
These kids were at the Opti Worlds. They are more experienced and better acquainted with the rules than most of you posting here.
There are almost certainly more than a couple of those kids who are already over eager sea lawyers and who would have eagerly taken on the Melges teams in the room ..... If they had felt a reason to do so.

Note: the post above this one is the sort of landt eater drivel that is the Vwap I have known and despised

#91 ecosse4me

ecosse4me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Just a rule question, as these two boats are in different regattas, can one protest the other? Should it not be one of the other Melges racers that needs to protest? Can the Optimist not only seek redress for being infringed? Just asking! Too many years since I took my racing seriously and have not read the latest rules in detail.....I did at least buy them last week?
Still amazed at how many people support the muppet in the Melges even though we have two eye witnesses in this discussion. If he had a brain, he would have soaked down to go outside the mark and then heated it up again, giving the optimists room and opportunity to keep clear, if he was desperate to get to the hills for more pressure.

#92 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Just a rule question, as these two boats are in different regattas, can one protest the other? Should it not be one of the other Melges racers that needs to protest? Can the Optimist not only seek redress for being infringed? Just asking! Too many years since I took my racing seriously and have not read the latest rules in detail.....I did at least buy them last week?
Still amazed at how many people support the muppet in the Melges even though we have two eye witnesses in this discussion. If he had a brain, he would have soaked down to go outside the mark and then heated it up again, giving the optimists room and opportunity to keep clear, if he was desperate to get to the hills for more pressure.

63.8 for starters

Get a rule book and read it before you ho on the race course again

#93 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Vwap is one of the most annoying and immature trolls on SA but on this issue I find myself somewhat agreeing with his originsl angle.
These kids were at the Opti Worlds. They are more experienced and better acquainted with the rules than most of you posting here.
There are almost certainly more than a couple of those kids who are already over eager sea lawyers and who would have eagerly taken on the Melges teams in the room ..... If they had felt a reason to do so.

Note: the post above this one is the sort of landt eater drivel that is the Vwap I have known and despised

You are right about bus driver he is a non sailing troll. How did he ever find this place

#94 sailingDad

sailingDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

I filed a protest against an EScow when I was fouled in a similar situation and the EScow was tossed.
Perhaps I was only eight and only racing in my fourth season as a skipper but, like most of the other kids who were that old and experienced, I had a decent comprehension of the racing rules.
In my case I hailed for room as we both approached a permanent mark each fleet was using and the skipper replied, "Room Schmoom" causing me to wait for his boat to pass, fly my flag and hail (use your best little kid squeaky voice here) PROTEST!!!
These Opti kids were at a Worlds. I know for certain each one has at least as good or a much better comprehension of the rules than little me had. Had any one of them felt the mood to protest the big boats, they knew exactly with what rule and exactly why and ...
The fact none of the kids filed s protest suggests none of the kids considered the incident to be significant.

I am going to respect the kids on this one and assume the photographer and those of us who only have the same view as the photographer are upset about something that didn't really happen.

The fleet of kids was surrounded by adults whose presence indicates they cared about the kids and sailboat racing.

Once again; I will respect those adults by assuming they did the right thing as well.

My impression from afar is the guy on the camera was misinterpreting the situation from a poor viewing angle.

Repeating,
The lack of concern expressed by the very aware kids xnd the other very aware adults indicates I should share their lack of concern.

Have you read the report from HKG1203 above?  And he has a world champs to do next week so I suspect that protesting a few idiotic Melges sailors is low on his priority list at prest.

#95 keeldude

keeldude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:keels

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

What assholes. The Opti kids need to be given hand drills at night and sent swimming in the Melges docks.

And this teaches sportsmanship??

Your lesson??

"When you know the rules and enough about sailing to be a participant in a world championship, it is better to be a stealth nighttime vigilante than to pray for relief from a foul through the proper channels."

Ya lost yer high ground there bub

#96 catsailor

catsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Actually VwaP, that isn't quite the case - and based on the video, cats on those first two M32s should never have been allowed to leave the dock.  Notice later in the vid Samba and others had no problem rolling to leeward of the Optis.

Imagine driving an M5 at 30 MPH through your neighborhood playground.  That's exactly what those idiots did.  And just because they have matching Musto gear and get paid doesn't make it better - it makes it worse. 

#97 HKG1203

HKG1203

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Repeating,

We were all concerned, I think the fact that 

1)it was the PRE worlds and not the worlds meant that people were not worried about it damaging their result

and 

2) 1 small kid in an opti, would be too scared to protest a team of so called "pros" in the protest room.

The camera man here is Alan Williams, he is one of the best RYA youth coaches and is the person who writes all the RYA books. I do not know what the coaches are going to do about it.

With all greatest respect. From my point of view, there is a big difference with you protesting a scow at your local sailing club as there is me or any other of the opti sailors there protesting all these proffesional sailors who we are supposed to look up to and admire. It is not a great look to sailing when we have the "pros" charging through our race course as if we are not there.

#98 alibee

alibee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Having watched the video a few times and read the replies above I'd suggest:

1) both of the first two M32s were far too close to the Optis rounding the mark. Their kites had been perfectly stable until they carve through the pack at which point they both round-up/dump the sheet to aid manoeuvrability. You don't do that when you're fully in control. Ploughing through a pack of kids in a 2 ton boat doing 20+kts when you're out of control requires a very special level of stupidity.

2) the idea that all is ok just because the kids didn't protest is somewhat flawed. My kids (like most) are rarely aware of the near-misses they encounter, and certainly not aware of the potential consequences of certain situations. I would've hoped that one of the adults that witnessed it went and showed the footage to the Audi RD but they may have been based in different locations. 

3) I can't imagine Audi Italy giving a flying f*&k about it but it's worth drawing to their attention.

#99 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Actually VwaP, that isn't quite the case - and based on the video, cats on those first two M32s should never have been allowed to leave the dock.  Notice later in the vid Samba and others had no problem rolling to leeward of the Optis.

Imagine driving an M5 at 30 MPH through your neighborhood playground.  That's exactly what those idiots did.  And just because they have matching Musto gear and get paid doesn't make it better - it makes it worse. 

You must be new to the sport if yout think you can get any definitive info or form a qualified opinion from that crappy video

#100 BoomerangJ

BoomerangJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I just finished reading all the posts to here.  I decided to watch that video again. Full screen. My blood boiled.  It's pretty obvious they were flogging the kite to correct and not hit kids.  It also looks like some of the kids had to correct.  Then I thought about what I'd do if my 10 year old grand daughter was one of the sailors that the Melgi had to avoid.  I'm afraid I'd be at the dock waiting for the Melgi skippers with a baseball bat.  It'd be worth it.  I agree with the commentator that was stupid sailing.  They should be dsq'd.  sport doesn't need stuff like this. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users