#1 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:I WANNA GO FAST

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

While cruising our J 29 for a week and walking the docks she drops the bomb "Hey I really like that J 105"  So we get home and I show here some interior pictures and she asked me to stop it's making her drool.  Remember we sail a J 29 so the interior of the J 105 sure looks more inviting.  While cruising the J 29 we take along a Storm sail, blade,light #1 heavy # 1 and a Womper and used them all and one time needed to fold them all but the storm sail.   So I check the checking account balance and seems were a little short by $60K.  So were gonna start playing the lotto.  

C

#2 Half Ass

Half Ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

My wife told me I could buy the J105 I have been looking at, But first I have to get a job. I'm thinking 3rd shift at 7/11 will do just right. 

#3 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have a full time job and 2 part-time jobs (if you can count teaching skiing as one) and a J/92 is a distant horizon beyond my J/27.  But, I love the boat and the people who sail them.  Nice to have dreams and goals.

#4 J105Puff

J105Puff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I don't race anymore, but I still have a J105 that my wife and I love to day sail and every once in-a-while camp on, though she is less and less fond of the camping mode every year.  Boat is easy to handle with just the two of us, usually we only use the heavy wx jib and a cruising dacron main, and the wide side deck, large cockpit, big wheel all make it an easy boat for two people to handle in pretty much any weather.

#5 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

You need to act my son while the drool is still fresh.  You will find a way around the $60K gap - be focused and relentless!

WWing 

#6 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

^^ DITTO!!

#7 Aqua Boogie

Aqua Boogie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

• looking at a J105 in Marblehead tomorrow. One of the winnings' boats in town.  I'll be day sailing with my wife and two small kids and jumping on the race course anytime I want.  Was thinking about j100 but this will fit the bill, probably better all around boat too.

#8 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

Have a good look and the 105 is better then the 100 

#9 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Have a good look and the 105 is better then the 100 

The 100 is a better sailing and much faster boat. The 105 has more interior and one design racing which makes it better for sailing one design and living down below, but that's about it.

If you are $60k short, you must still owe money on the 29. Many 105's can be had for about 60-65k.

#10 Chicago M.O.B.

Chicago M.O.B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

The 100 is a better sailing and much faster boat. The 105 has more interior and one design racing which makes it better for sailing one design and living down below, but that's about it.

That's a pretty bold statement ...?  Better sailing is a very subjective term and as to faster ... I have sailed 105s for the better part of a decade and from the times I have seen a J/100 and a J/105 on the same course they have matched pretty close in speed, one can be faster than the other depending on wind conditions and angle of sail.  And of course who is driving.

Plus consider ratings (pulled these from ChiMac and Bayview Mac entries) ... they are close, with J/105 rated slightly faster in both cases.

• PHRF: J/100 = 93, J/105 = 87 (lower number faster)
  • ORR: J/100 = 0.877, J/105 = 0.89 (higher number faster)

Plus the standard J/100 has one significant disadvantage - no sprit.  The J/105 with its sprit will sail deeper than a J/100 without a sprit.  Sprit is optional on the J/100 and I have only seen them in pictures.

So better sailing?  Maybe, depends on your definition.  I do like the tiller but I can have one of those on a 105.  Also like the narrow beam and the cockpit layout of the J/100.  They are great boats.  But for the money the J/105 is a better value, used J/100s are still >$100k last I checked.

But J/100 is "faster", especially much faster? ... no way in hell.

#11 Chicago M.O.B.

Chicago M.O.B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

I will also add that of course a J/100 with a symmetric chute will sail deeper than a J105 with an asym on the sprit ... realize this is an option but I have never seen a J/100 fly anything other than an asym tacked to the bow.  Tried to edit that into my original post but could not make it happen.

#12 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

J 100 vs my J 29   hmmm paid for J 29  us $100K  not much interested in a J 100 

#13 Chicago M.O.B.

Chicago M.O.B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Someone once said: "If it floats, flies, or fucks rent it by the hour"?  Not sure who that was ...

Sometimes the best boat is one that is paid for and in your case it is a very nice boat that rates, and you can race on.  Makes it a tougher decision to take out the loan vs. me with the slow 28' boat (rated about 210) that I had!

#14 oil man

oil man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Photo courtesy of photoboat

http://www.photoboat...27313/e6e06f91b

My J100 -  with a sprit -  at Block Island race week. In under 10kn we will outpoint a J105 by 5 degrees. In 20 kn and flat water we will be as deep and many knots faster. In 15-20 lumpy upwind the J105 with extra beam and weight will trounce us Under PHRF LIS the J100 rates 90 w/l and 84 distance. That is with a 105 jib. The J105 in one design trim, also 105 jib, is 96 w/l and 93 distance.

J105 has a little more room below but if you can't stand you can't stand. It also has the whole one-design class racing going for it that the J100 never achieved.

Can't go wrong with either boat.

#15 Chicago M.O.B.

Chicago M.O.B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Excellent pics and a nice looking boat ... and appropriately named for someone called oil man.  Love the sprit and bobstay and with those on the boat would generally agree with your comments.  Lighter overall weight, carbon mast, 21" less beam, and probably closer sheeting angle as well, should help you upwind in the lighter airs where the 105s will have to ease off and foot for speed.

J29Guy - you may have seen this but if not  - the classifieds on J105.org is a good resource vs. simply going to yachtworld.

#16 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

If you don't do it, you're an idiot.

A wife digging a boat is as big a deal as her being interested, initially, continually, in you....

Not to put too fine a point on it. :)

I'm old. This is good advice.

#17 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

Listen to Amati, he is wise and learned.  You want your wife to say "our boat" not "your boat"...

#18 wbrent

wbrent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not to hijack this thread but where have all the J105s gone? My wife likes the J105 as well, and now it looks like I have my old boat sold. So I think we are in the market as well. Last spring and winter there seemed to be a couple dozen for sale in  the east but now I look on Yachtworld and there is only a few. Did they all sell or did the owners give up? Do I just need to wait until the season is over before they all show up again?

#19 wbrent

wbrent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Just rechecked. I must have typed something wrong the first time. Seems there's still several available. Still not as many as before.

#20 SHNOOL

SHNOOL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:sailing.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hardest part is "selling" the wife.  You already have her attention... now sell your soul and get it!

I sail a 4ktsb... Capri 25.. yeah yeah... I'm on the 2-3 year plan to upgrade.  I have a J/80 in my sights. 

Don't get me wrong I enjoy my Crapee, quite well, but thin water that becomes a solid every winter and a requirement to trailer limits my choices... but I want something bigger than I have now, FASTER than I have now, and with potential (God willing I get more permanent crew) to sail at OD venues.  An Asym (easier to deal with), and a roller furler would make foredecker work considerably less (see the comment on crew).  That really limits the choices now doesn't it?  But my wife is with me on this, so we're gonna set our goals to make sure I can!

If I never leave my puddle though... so be it....

But back to the question at hand... which one to buy... the question of "can you get the wife onboard" has already been answered.  Surely the black market needs kidneys right?

#21 LCD4

LCD4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Teaching English, Sailing, Coaching Sailing

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

The Left Coat Dart provides all that and more speed than a J80.  Take a look!

#22 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

sail at OD venues.

The Left Coat Dart provides all that and more speed than a J80.  Take a look!

pics or...

#23 SHNOOL

SHNOOL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:sailing.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

LCD.. agreed, but I can't buy a Left Coast Dart for $25k used. But I have to admit, the original reverse auction peaked my interest.. and his present price for hull 5? or 6? is tempting (even if I have a snowball's chance in hates to scrape up that cash - see aforementioned sale of kidney)...

#24 Sheep of the Bow

Sheep of the Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Buy a J111 or HH42 and put a J105 sticker on it?

S.

#25 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,341 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Just a tip go drive a 105 and take the wife along and have her crew and drive. If she still likes and you like it then your off and running. Just do not show her a First 36.7 or for that matter any other boat not built by J that was built in the last 15yrs.

#26 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

Buy a J111 or HH42 and put a J105 sticker on it?

S.

I thinki a J/111 and a J/105 are in slightly differet snack brackets...105's can be had in the upper $60's to $70's   doubt you could touch a 111 for 3 times that.  Women are a lot more astute than you think.  My wife had only seen a J/27 a handful of times from me taking delivery and putting in winter storage.  Following spring on launch day, we pull into parking lot a YC, she looks around for 30 seconds, and points to another boat, and says "Oh, theres another J/27"

#27 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I sense I will be in the market in a couple of years for the new ride, Being JBoat illiterate, What are the advantages of a 105 vs a 109 and vice versa, barring the $100K price difference. I like the PHRF rating on both but really want to start racing OD, PHRF sucks!

#28 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,341 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

I sense I will be in the market in a couple of years for the new ride, Being JBoat illiterate, What are the advantages of a 105 vs a 109 and vice versa, barring the $100K price difference. I like the PHRF rating on both but really want to start racing OD, PHRF sucks!

The BEST OD racing in a couple of years will be found in the 20 something sport boats regarding competition and who is racing. EVEN if I bought a new J111 today I would rather be racing in the 20 something fleets where money plays far far less of a role in the success of the lead sailors. Even a J105 top sailors put new rags on the boat every year. I'd rather save that money so I can take my boat boat places beyond just a Saturday & Sunday weekend trip.

I think you will find that outside of the big money people who can drop a couple 100K a year racing in big events and boat prep all us normal people find racing the new 20 something sports boats to be pretty damn good competition and fun and doesn't cost us our retirement.

#29 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

The BEST OD racing in a couple of years will be found in the 20 something sport boats regarding competition and who is racing. EVEN if I bought a new J111 today I would rather be racing in the 20 something fleets where money plays far far less of a role in the success of the lead sailors. Even a J105 top sailors put new rags on the boat every year. I'd rather save that money so I can take my boat boat places beyond just a Saturday & Sunday weekend trip.

I think you will find that outside of the big money people who can drop a couple 100K a year racing in big events and boat prep all us normal people find racing the new 20 something sports boats to be pretty damn good competition and fun and doesn't cost us our retirement.

Nothing wrong with 20 something sport boats.  Looking at one myself.  but...

20 something sport boats are great if all you want to do is race your boat.  If you want to weekend your boat or cruise it as well as race it, a 20 something sport boat falls well short of the mark.  J-105 is ok, J-109 is great from that perspective.

#30 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

If interesdted in racing, the J-105 N/A's are in Toronto next year.

http://www.j105.ca/

We had 18 boats for the Canadians this year.

#31 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,341 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

My wife liked the J105 too. That is till she raced on some other boats with standing head room in the cabin then it was like the J105 was a washed up old has been and offer her list. BTW she raced in college and likes fast boats. She also drove a J105 and like my self hated it.

#32 wbrent

wbrent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

Well my wife and I liked it so much we bought one. Being delivered next week in fact. My wife and I  are not thrilled about the lack of headroom but we spend 90% of the time on deck or in the cockpit, so no big deal for us. For me it should be easier to get to the start line of our club races since we only need five or six to race it. Add the occasional overnight and we have the boat for us. Looking forward to spring.

#33 damcoyote

damcoyote

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

My wife liked the J105 too. That is till she raced on some other boats with standing head room in the cabin then it was like the J105 was a washed up old has been and offer her list. BTW she raced in college and likes fast boats. She also drove a J105 and like my self hated it.

So, what would you suggest for a boat in the 30 to 35 ft range around 75k. I am not a huge fan of J boats, but looking to do some short handed distance sailing not seeing a lot of other options especially in the speed range or faster.

#34 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well my wife and I liked it so much we bought one. Being delivered next week in fact. My wife and I  are not thrilled about the lack of headroom but we spend 90% of the time on deck or in the cockpit, so no big deal for us. For me it should be easier to get to the start line of our club races since we only need five or six to race it. Add the occasional overnight and we have the boat for us. Looking forward to spring.

Congrats wbrent! I've been watching this thread (living vicarioiusly), hoping at least one guy lucks into a 105! Post pictures!!!

#35 wbrent

wbrent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hoping to post a picture of it coming up my driveway next week. Stay tuned.

#36 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,341 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

So, what would you suggest for a boat in the 30 to 35 ft range around 75k. I am not a huge fan of J boats, but looking to do some short handed distance sailing not seeing a lot of other options especially in the speed range or faster.

If we buy anything thats not trailerable ie in the 30-35 foot range we will probably buy outside the US and ship it home of course that poses some cost challenges but the reality of it today is that the US used Sailboat market really doesn't have much - if your not interested in OD racing - but want a pretty good boat with somewhat modern ideas in its design. To be honest the big lack of more modern affordable 30 somethings that are not Jboats is probably a big reason there is a high probability we will just get a little mini cruiser on a trailer. Given the choice between a very nice clean used Aileron 28 and a J-105 they are essentially the same price range I'd choose the A28 every time for club racing and the occasional fun overnight trip with the wife.

I'm sure you guys will enjoy the 105 I just happen to know there are other boats out there that my wife and I would enjoy far more than the 105.

#37 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

Dam,  the FT10 has more speed, (phrf 51-54)  and even tho the cabin is small, has headroom.

#38 spin echo

spin echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

JPK boats is another cool option. Father/son doublehanded team won Fastnet this year on it. Would have to deliver it from Europe though.

http://www.yachtworl...ce#.UqUksfRDu7g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users