15 replies to this topic

#1 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Racing in the Transpac, 407 miles in 24hrs. Granted, there is no "competition" for them, but pretty good for a cruising cat. That ORMA72 is doing pretty good, too.

#2 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Too bad the Transpac organizers don't have a perpetual trophy for first boat elapsed no matter what the type. Kind of a bragging rights award that would encourage the participation of any high performance multihull or monohull.

We have a 100 mile offshore race in our region that I'd like to do with my Corsair Sprint 750. You're actually never more than 10-20 miles offshore and the sailing instructions stated a perpetual trophy for first elapsed time boat. I inquired if that trophy was awarded to any type of boat that can meet the safety requirements for the race and was very curtly told this trophy is only for monohulls and if I want to race I have to bring a class. Thought it would be kind of fun to race against the "big" boats in this race (Melges 32's, J-130, Hobie 33's, Beneteau 40.2's, etc.) with my 24' long trimaran. The race is traditionally held in light to moderate air and it would be a close fun race since my Sprint sails about as fast a 32-35 foot well sailed PHRF boat in 5-9 knots.

Maybe next year I can get some Corsair and Farrier tris to come to this party.

Go PHAEDO!

#3 Nonsense

Nonsense

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Just saw they lost the rig 656 miles from LA.....BUMMER!!!

Phaedo dismasted on day 3 of Transpac

Official report from boat:
At 1830 UTC (1130 PST) Phaedo dismasted in location 28 58.247N 130 09.576W.

Everyone onboard is fine, we have secured the boat, cutting away the mast and section of the boom, and are now heading towards the LA area under engine.

At the time of the dismasting we were sailing under A4 at around 16kts.

#4 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Was the rig a rotating section or a non rotating section ?

#5 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Non-rotating, double spreader/double diamond Marstrom rig. Bummer.

No jury rig and not enough fuel to get home.

#6 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yeah it sucks but good on the owner for lashing that kitty all over the world showing what a modern "cruising" multi can do. Hope to see the boat back on the race course soon.

#7 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

I was wondering about the fuel they have on board .... surely not enough to make it home ?

How much fuel do they have and how much would they need ?

Best to the guys

#8 tema

tema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Would love to hear the reason for failure. Marström sticks have a very solid reputation so hard to think that was the cause.

Does anyone actually know Marström mast (it self) to fail?

#9 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Saw the mast of a martrom 20 snap in last years key largo race. Happened on a capsize in 30+ and short chop, 2 on the wire I think.

#10 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

I reckon this boat has more race miles on it than any other Gunboat. so maybe just some wear and tear as is the case 90% with rigs falling down.

#11 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

I was wondering about the fuel they have on board .... surely not enough to make it home ?
How much fuel do they have and how much would they need ?

Best to the guys

They said they had 200 miles of fuel and 400 miles back to LA. they are arranging to pick up fuel.

#12 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

just looked at the tracker very impressive speeds from Phaedo when the angles freed up she appeared to be outrunning the big monos all in a luxury cruiser with a handful of crew. Poses the question why would you bother with a Volvo 70 if multis where allowed in all ocean races.

#13 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

A Volvo 70 will smoke a GB. Not nearly as comfortable, but performance is night and day (20% difference or so). Certainly drier on a GB, too.

#14 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

A Volvo 70 will smoke a GB. Not nearly as comfortable, but performance is night and day (20% difference or so). Certainly drier on a GB, too.

but certainly not an orma60 or mod70.

#15 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

We easily beat Telefonica on Paradox (cruising ORMA). A real ORMA or MOD would beat any monohull ever built.

#16 Peter Johnstone

Peter Johnstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

SOMA, you will have to share your basis for the comment of a Volvo 70 versus a Gunboat.....

We went upwind with SUGAR DADDY against the Volvo 70 fleet after the start in Cape Town five years ago. We traded tacks with the fleet over 10 miles. There was no noticeable difference in VMG. We were a degree or two lower, and a little faster. As you know, SUGAR was loaded with every imaginable luxury, and had the shorter of the two GUNBOAT 66 sailplans.

Ken Read, former PUMA boss, and now President of North Sails worldwide, is heading up the GUNBOAT 55 sail development for North Sails. He says the GUNBOAT 55 performance figures are nearly identical to PUMA's from the last race. Much of their thinking for the GUNBOAT 55 is coming straight from the Volvo development. 

MASERATI is a turbo'd Volvo 70, which according to Brad van Liew, is about 15-20% faster than the Volvo 70 fleet. She is several tons lighter with much more righting moment than a rule abiding Volvo 70. Based on the Transpac positions, Brad's estimation of her speed looks about right. He did a season on Maserati, and should know. He has also sailed on the former Puma. Maserati was up there with Ragamuffin the 100' cant keeler.

Enjoy the Amalfi coast and driving ragtop sports cars with Mer! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users