Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

I tried getting online to their website home page yesterday and it was blank. From what I can piece together the factory in Savannah has definitely closed down.

I heard a rumor a couple of months ago that Devoti might step in and build it. At the same time there was rumors of a Polish builder. Then somebody posted on here that the molds were going to Ovingtons in the UK. Then that post was pulled down. Now someone from Newport said they saw Brian Bennett and that the word is that Ovingtons are definitely going to pick it up.

At first this sounded like a Viper Redux, when Brian went belly up on the Viper, the molds went to the UK and the US class faltered until the Class Association and Rondar picked it up and the Viper rose phoenix like from the ashes, (and is now built in the US again). But apparently Brian is alive and well and will be marketing the VX on behalf of Ovingtons from a travelling trailer.

So how do we contact VX One? Where is Brian Bennett based? Is the VX going to be built in New Zealand and UK? What does this mean for someone from the US?

Not gossip - any hard facts?

Edit.....in absence of hard facts, we can make do with gossip

#2 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

Rumor is they ran out of dildos for the end of the keel!

#3 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

I don't know...  try their phone number

http://vxonedesignra.../vxodr/about-us

#4 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi all,

We are in the middle of a major move, and launch of building and marketing in Europe to be followed in October with the launch of an Australasian builder. These builders are working closely with us to generate and maintain the strict One design nature of the VX, and in my opinion are the best building partners a designer could hope for. We will all be working to establish the VX ONE as a well run, and well supported international class.

We are also in the middle of a move to Rhode Island, our old home, and the hub of one design sailing in the North east.

A press release will be out shortly. Our website is currently down as it is getting a major overhaul.

Thanks to everyone for your patience as we bring about these improvements.

Brian

#5 jojo6pack

jojo6pack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Sumpin wrong with Southern Hospitality there in Charlestown....or was Clean just too damn close?

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I live just outside Detroit.  So now they're closer!

I get the feeling that it was just too tough to get the kind of infrastructure and personnel together down south to do the kind of volume Brian believes the VX can do.  I do know they are selling like hotcakes, with I think over 50 boats delivered and some very happy customers.  I am still anticipating my first VX regatta - in a couple of hours of testing I did, the boat was fan-fucking-tastic.

#7 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Will be placing an order at the end of the year! Can't wait.

#8 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

The idea that the South is not a good place to build volume boats doesn’t explain the factory closure. The largest production sail boat building facility in the US is in Marion, South Carolina (Beneteau). There are many marine component suppliers and boat builders who run very successful nationwide businesses out of the South.

Whichever way you look at it, England is further away from any US customers than Savannah.

#9 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

I know Brian has been providing excellent support for the new owner in Vermont, and even offered to come up and run a clinic. The VX is right next to my Viper and it looks great. One of these days I am going to get a ride on it.

#10 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Might be a bit difficult to hold onto labor in Chucktown what with a decent amount of boatbuilding and aerospace composite going on? It's a great location though - a test sail in a harbor sea breeze would be worth a plane flight.

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

I'll just shut my mouth since I don't know much at all about the new changes. happy that Brian is doing well, happy to see another fleet of cool sporties, and love the boat.

#12 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,135 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi all,

We are in the middle of a major move, and launch of building and marketing in Europe to be followed in October with the launch of an Australasian builder. These builders are working closely with us to generate and maintain the strict One design nature of the VX, and in my opinion are the best building partners a designer could hope for. We will all be working to establish the VX ONE as a well run, and well supported international class.

We are also in the middle of a move to Rhode Island, our old home, and the hub of one design sailing in the North east.

A press release will be out shortly. Our website is currently down as it is getting a major overhaul.

Brian

So will VX still be built in the USA in addition to Europe and AUS/Asia?  Or is all manufacturing going overseas?

#13 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yawn!!!!

#14 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

I am curious to see the build quality of the boats that are going to be built. The ones that have been made have been amazing and I hope they can continue that

#15 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

If it is really going to be built by Ovington then there is nothing to worry about as far a build quality

#16 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Ovington just confirmed via their facebook page that the tooling has arrived and they are going to be a VX builder.  

If it is really going to be built by Ovington then there is nothing to worry about as far a build quality

#17 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi all,

Brian

So will VX still be built in the USA in addition to Europe and AUS/Asia?  Or is all manufacturing going overseas?
It is 100% certain that the US Factory has been shuttered.
Here is the listing for the building:
www.loopnet.com/Listing/17851420/4110-Meding-Street-Savannah-GA

Ovingtons have announced that they will have the molds in about two days.

My guess is that it was tough to make a living from building 48 boats (if that is the right number) over two years. As part of Ovingtons, the overhead is spread over several other classes.

#18 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

Very cool, glad to hear that build quality won't be an issue.

#19 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything besides sailing?

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

No need to speculate any more.

This is the official press release from Brian Bennett today.

Bennett Yachting Inc. teams up with Ovington Boats (UK) and MacKay Boats (New Zealand) for International VX ONE class drive.

Brian Bennett, CEO of Bennett Yachting, Inc and Lead Designer of the state-of-the-art One Design VX ONE announces a collaboration that will bring the VX ONE firmly onto the international stage and provide high quality, tightly controlled production of this multi award-winning design by two of the world’s best production small boat builders.

The VX ONE was the unanimous winner of the 2012 Sailing World “Overall Boat of the Year” and “Best One Design” as well as Sail magazine’s 2012 “Best Boat” award. The VX is a robust, easy to sail high performance 19’ “ballast assisted” dinghy that is highly responsive and powerful, with the conveniences of furling and self-tacking jib. On an ideal day, speeds in excess of 24 knots have been recorded.

The class association is professionally run and backed by an executive committee of owners with considerable One Design experience. Class rules are written to ISAF guidelines for easy crossover in the next few years.

The VX One is supported by three established brands with decades of experience, Ovington Boats, MacKay Boats and Bennett Yachting, Inc.. With fleets growing throughout North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, this collaboration will further set the VX One on a firm platform for significant international growth.

Both Ovington and MacKay are world renown for their high quality Olympic and world championship race boats  - Mackay for their 470’s, 49ers and 420’s, and Ovington for their 49er, 29er, 505, Flying Fifteen, I-14, and Musto Performance skiff.

“Ovington and MacKay are ideal partners in this project. While they compete on the 49er, there is a lot of quality collaboration and exchange of information that is hard to find elsewhere. Both are thoroughly established, experienced, and proven in the field of international classes and their development” notes designer Brian Bennett.

Production ramp-up will be under way in Ovington’s Newcastle, UK, factory in July, in time for deliveries to the US North Americans in November and a major European launch this winter. MacKay will follow suit, with deliveries targeted for later in 2013.

Bennett Yachting (BY) will focus on full-scale support of the growing NA VX ONE fleet, with a major Gold Cup style circuit planned for 2014. BY will oversee and coordinate international marketing and quality control as well as maintenance of measurement procedures. As a licensed dealer, BY will also market and distribute the highly regarded International Musto Performance Skiff throughout North America.

The all-new www.Bennettyachting.com website will be launched mid-August, revealing comprehensive information on the VX ONE and Musto Performance Skiff. The new site will also debut advanced and sustainable regatta support systems that will revolutionize the way we sail, travel and compete. Bennett Yachting can now move as many as six VX ONE’s, or 16 Musto skiffs utilizing a new 48’ event trailer, with on-board spares, service, rigging, and customer support to every event.

This will pave the way for a new standard in affordable grand prix sailing, giving time back to the sailors and providing an energy-efficient solution with one truck and trailer doing the work of as many as 15 vehicles, plus countless hours of driving.

Brian Bennett

#20 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Shipping cost might go up a bit.

#21 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Guess  you'd better hurry up and jump on the 29K package deal they have going on right now, just in case the price does go up a pinch?

I will remain cautiously optimistic.  

I didn't know Ovington built 505's.  Who do they build 505's for?

Shipping cost might go up a bit.

#22 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hi All,

Ovington built all of Rondars 505's up until a few weeks back, and have plans to build their own refined boat in the future. We will work with Chris and the team to supply these boats to NA once they come on line.

As for our landed VX ONE costs, we are committed to holding the special price until this has run. We have 20 boats on order with Ovi's currently and will be expecting to order another 20 by December. The class is set to explode with a lot of interest in Europe and a very strong Ovington sales network in place.

B.

#23 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hi All,

Ovington built all of Rondars 505's up until a few weeks back, and have plans to build their own refined boat in the future. We will work with Chris and the team to supply these boats to NA once they come on line.
As for our landed VX ONE costs, we are committed to holding the special price until this has run. We have 20 boats on order with Ovi's currently and will be expecting to order another 20 by December. The class is set to explode with a lot of interest in Europe and a very strong Ovington sales network in place.

B.

Right on! I hope you sell thousands, but I still want to sail one.

#24 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,135 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

My guess is that it was tough to make a living from building 48 boats (if that is the right number) over two years. As part of Ovingtons, the overhead is spread over several other classes.

True, its just always a shame to see manufacturing and jobs leave the US. 

#25 hendrixharlow

hendrixharlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

True, its just always a shame to see manufacturing and jobs leave the US. 

Yea--although a bright spot in that regard might be the Viper.  The shop in Peabody, MA has been busy for the last year making them.

#26 Christ

Christ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi All,

We have built the last 160 or so 505 for Rondar Boats since 2005 although stopped last month to develop our own hull. We have built a number of Classes for other manufacturers over the years and still offer this service today. For the 505 though we decided to do our own as the Rondar mould needed replacement, we have two members of staff both wanting to campaign the boat and for those reasons we decided to do our own boat.

The VX One moulds arrived yesterday and have been moved to the production floor today, it will take a day or two to get all the moulds sorted and set up and then production will commence. Initial orders are directly back to the US with Musto Skiff's before building our own demo boats to introduce the boat to the UK and Europe.   

For interest, we only take on the build, marketing and distribution of products that we truly believe in, I made the trip to the US over a weekend to sail at the Atlantic Cup and visit the factory in Savannah, only after this was a deal completed. I am excited to get this Class going here; the boat is a lot of fun and with a few boats on the water great racing too.

Watch the progress through our Facebook page; Ovington High Performance Sail Boats.

Cheers.

#27 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Christ

Congratulations on acquiring the VX.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you would want to bring to our attention that you dropped a longstanding customer to build a competing product. Over here, that would come across as a lousy business practice. How do the other manufacturers that you do work for protect themselves?

I know zip about 505s but that was the first thing hit me about your post.

Hi All,

We have built the last 160 or so 505 for Rondar Boats since 2005 although stopped last month to develop our own hull. We have built a number of Classes for other manufacturers over the years and still offer this service today. For the 505 though we decided to do our own as the Rondar mould needed replacement, we have two members of staff both wanting to campaign the boat and for those reasons we decided to do our own boat.

#28 Christ

Christ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi EyeSailor,

Pretty sure I wrote 'stopped' not 'dropped'.

We are happy to continue to build the Rondar 505.....

This is probably why I tend not to write on forums....may be I do not write what I mean to say, or may be others read too much in to it...

Cheers.

#29 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sorry .

I'll admit that's the way I read it.

I should probably tend to read forums less...maybe I read what you didn't mean to say.

Glad to hear you are happy to continue building the Rondar 505.......Ooops, there I go again. B)

#30 sailing4fun

sailing4fun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Brian and BY- Best of luck with your new  VX1 adventures. Sound like good things for the Eurpean market. What is happening to US production? Will you be making boats in RI?

Need to get some US interest going!! How do we see/sail a boat??  cheers- Bill

#31 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

http://www.sail-worl...d=0&tickerCID=0

just caught this....

#32 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

http://www.sail-worl...d=0&tickerCID=0

just caught this....

This post is exactly why we internationals ( aliens) love Sailing Anarchy. ultraracer has totally ignored direct postings by the actual guys making stuff and glibly posts a spam link to some press release. many days after the scoop here ! *smug clownface emoticon*

#33 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi All,

B.

wow explode   like poof eh

#34 VI-Newport-TP

VI-Newport-TP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi all,

Brian

It is 100% certain that the US Factory has been shuttered.
Here is the listing for the building:
www.loopnet.com/Listing/17851420/4110-Meding-Street-Savannah-GA

Ovingtons have announced that they will have the molds in about two days.

EYESailor

I am not sure your  motivation is but you seem to consistently  start negative press about the Vx-one, its quite obvious you know how to spin everything - I can personally tell you that Bennett Yachting has continuously communicated with owners on what they are doing.  They are making decisions with a goal of building a Top notch class.   Oh and what they are doing is working - Rome is not build in a day,  the decision to bring other builders in was made to both grow the class WW and to free up staff of Bennett yachting to spend more time marketing an communicating,--- the class agree's that this not been strong point to date,

With providing more facts to the community- this  will hopefully silence people that enjoy making up " fish tails"  on what you think is happening with this -

Here are some facts

• Vx-one started small it won boat of the year with 1 boat built 
  • In 2 years its sold approx 50 boats sold - on word of mouth - if you sail the boat it sells itself 
  • Website is being relaunched in the next few weeks 
  • There 2014 Gold Cup with 5 regatts over 7 months in 4 locations Tampa, Maimi, Annapolis, And Newport - This formed as a commitment of having 20 plus boats at each event 
  • We have at least 5 boats sailing once or more a week in Newport - 
  • Bennet Yachting has a 6 boat trailer so that many boats can be moved at once 

So if you have not sailed the boat come sail it,  -if you want facts email me at fleet5vxone@gmail 

if you have no attention of sailing a vx then maybe spent your time on a thread talking about a boat you are going to sail and leave this one to the people who are loving it - 

#35 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

im not sure  what your motivation is but you consistently start negative press about the vx 1, they never ran out of dildos for the keel or tiller end. in fact the availability of dildos is not in question here.

if you have no attention? of sailing a vx then maybe spent? your time on a thread talking about a boat you are going to sail.

#36 jokerx9

jokerx9

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

I dont think eye sailor was really trying to be negative here

#37 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

im not sure  what your motivation is but you consistently start negative press about the vx 1, they never ran out of dildos for the keel or tiller end. in fact the availability of dildos is not in question here.

if you have no attention? of sailing a vx then maybe spent? your time on a thread talking about a boat you are going to sail.

Sorry, i thought i was on the Anarchy forums, must of got onto skuttlefuck somehow!

No wonder its dead in here now, even light hearted banter is frowned upon!

If you only want serious shit, the minutes of QLD scandle should be fun!

Oh pleeeeese!

#38 83TER

83TER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hay Facthunt maybe you could borrow the moulds for the said Dildo for you new sportsboat :ph34r:  :ph34r:

#39 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

arh they haven't been offered to me, I saw they were going to ovingtons.

I could borrow one from turkey, its not as good as the vx but its right up there.

#40 83TER

83TER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Hm Turkeys might be a bit big for you

#41 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

yes we'll just take it as it comes, might get one off a tasar, don't know how it would measure though.

#42 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

So VX-Ones are going to be built by Bennett and Ovington but not in the US? I'm not sure if I get the idea - small sport boats in England have generally been about as successful as American cheese in France

#43 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

speng, I had the same thought when I heard the news.  As someone who reflects your concern -  label me, cautiously optimistic.   

So VX-Ones are going to be built by Bennett and Ovington but not in the US? I'm not sure if I get the idea - small sport boats in England have generally been about as successful as American cheese in France

#44 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

Just imagine where we'd be if the SB3s and Vipers were built somewhere else.

#45 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

LOL....true Teener. We've not been able to crack any market in the EU/UK on Viper...we've sold a lot of K6's though. Just starting up the line for another round. It seems the Euro market is more dinghy prone and they just prefer different boats...mere speculation on my part. LOTS of SB3's sold though...go figure.

I'd be interested to hear some of the Europeans feedback on this issue about what boats are and are not popular there and why.

#46 set321go

set321go

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

LOL....true Teener. We've not been able to crack any market in the EU/UK on Viper...we've sold a lot of K6's though. Just starting up the line for another round. It seems the Euro market is more dinghy prone and they just prefer different boats...mere speculation on my part. LOTS of SB3's sold though...go figure.

I'd be interested to hear some of the Europeans feedback on this issue about what boats are and are not popular there and why.

The sb3's sold because they were sold hard and the boats where there. Laser did a great campaign to get them in everyone's face They were lighter, cheaper + easier to trail and needed less crew that the j80 and 1720 gap that they fitted into. Now they've attained critical mass like oppies, you cant consider anything else because nobody sails anything else!!

The problem with a viper, k6, vxone in the uk is you have to hike! You buy a keelboat because your passed it and cant hike anymore, right?!!

#47 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

The sb3's sold because they were sold hard and the boats where there. Laser did a great campaign to get them in everyone's face They were lighter, cheaper + easier to trail and needed less crew that the j80 and 1720 gap that they fitted into. Now they've attained critical mass like oppies, you cant consider anything else because nobody sails anything else!!

The problem with a viper, k6, vxone in the uk is you have to hike! You buy a keelboat because your passed it and cant hike anymore, right?!!

Really? Is that why they don't sell there? I see huge classes of boats that you have to hike. I figured it was the pain of launching. Hard to launch a keelboat off the beach. Do they dolly launch SB3's there?

#48 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

Don't have to hike a SB3? only if you don't want to win, the rail just makes it more uncomfortable.

Just imagine where we'd be if the SB3s and Vipers were built somewhere else.LOL....true Teener. We've not been able to crack any market in the EU/UK on Viper...we've sold a lot of K6's though. Just starting up the line for another round. It seems the Euro market is more dinghy prone and they just prefer different boats...mere speculation on my part. LOTS of SB3's sold though...go figure.

#49 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

I owned an sb20 in ireland for a few years and the main reasons for buying it were -

1. the second hand market was very healthy and good boats were a very resonable price

2. there was a large fleet in Ireland when i decided to buy 60+ boats

3. They were the best sporty thing around other than a dinghy

at the time it didnt matter if there was hiking or not as long as you got well into the teens with the kite up :-)

These days i would really love to be sailing a VX one ..... reasons being-

1. they are a good bit lighter than the sb20

2. Need only 2 people to race which is a plus

3. Like the idea of the carbon mast

4. by all accounts are really quick in a blow :-).

5. Look like they are easier to launch

6. Build quality looks really good too.

Unfortunately it will be a while before there is any second hand market around here :-(

......unless somebody wants to send over a demo boat ;-)

TD

#50 schobidoo

schobidoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Bennett Yachting Inc. teams up with Ovington Boats (UK) and MacKay Boats (New Zealand) for International VX ONE class drive.

Brian Bennett, CEO of Bennett Yachting, Inc and Lead Designer of the state-of-the-art One Design VX ONE announces a collaboration that will bring the VX ONE firmly onto the international stage and provide high quality, tightly controlled production of this multi award-winning design by two of the world’s best production small boat builders.

The VX ONE was the unanimous winner of the 2012 Sailing World “Overall Boat of the Year” and “Best One Design” as well as Sail magazine’s 2012 “Best Boat” award. The VX is a robust, easy to sail high performance 19’ “ballast assisted” dinghy that is highly responsive and powerful, with the conveniences of furling and self-tacking jib. On an ideal day, speeds in excess of 24 knots have been recorded.

The class association is professionally run and backed by an executive committee of owners with considerable One Design experience. Class rules are written to ISAF guidelines for easy crossover in the next few years.

The VX One is supported by three established brands with decades of experience, Ovington Boats, MacKay Boats and Bennett Yachting, Inc.. With fleets growing throughout North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, this collaboration will further set the VX One on a firm platform for significant international growth.

Both Ovington and MacKay are world renown for their high quality Olympic and world championship race boats  - Mackay for their 470’s, 49ers and 420’s, and Ovington for their 49er, 29er, 505, Flying Fifteen, I-14, and Musto Performance skiff.

“Ovington and MacKay are ideal partners in this project. While they compete on the 49er, there is a lot of quality collaboration and exchange of information that is hard to find elsewhere. Both are thoroughly established, experienced, and proven in the field of international classes and their development” notes designer Brian Bennett.

Production ramp-up will be under way in Ovington’s Newcastle, UK, factory in July, in time for deliveries to the US North Americans in November and a major European launch this winter. MacKay will follow suit, with deliveries targeted for later in 2013.

Bennett Yachting (BY) will focus on full-scale support of the growing NA VX ONE fleet, with a major Gold Cup style circuit planned for 2014. BY will oversee and coordinate international marketing and quality control as well as maintenance of measurement procedures. As a licensed dealer, BY will also market and distribute the highly regarded International Musto Performance Skiff throughout North America.

The all-new www.Bennettyachting.com website will be launched mid-August, revealing comprehensive information on the VX ONE and Musto Performance Skiff. The new site will also debut advanced and sustainable regatta support systems that will revolutionize the way we sail, travel and compete. Bennett Yachting can now move as many as six VX ONE’s, or 16 Musto skiffs utilizing a new 48’ event trailer, with on-board spares, service, rigging, and customer support to every event.

This will pave the way for a new standard in affordable grand prix sailing, giving time back to the sailors and providing an energy-efficient solution with one truck and trailer doing the work of as many as 15 vehicles, plus countless hours of driving.

Brian Bennett

It is August 19. now...still waiting for the new website to be launched

#51 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

Brian Bennett

It is August 19. now...still waiting for the new website to be launched

It did indeed go live a few nights ago because I checked it out right after the countdown went to zero. Not sure why it's back to the under construction page.

#52 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Here it is guys:

http://bennettyachting.com/

#53 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Think it might be a good idea to put a schedule of upcoming events on the website? Maybe on Facebook too?

A lot of people who are interested in the boats might make the time to come see 'em in action if they knew when/where and could plan in advance a little. Most of the people I know who can afford a $piffy new boat have full schedules.

FB- Doug

#54 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

There's also the class association website which recently posted the following upcoming events at: http://vxone.org/na/

August 24-25 Demo Weekend: The Newport VX One Fleet will be hosting a demo weekend – Come try the VX One August 24-25th | Sail Newport | 10am – 6pm

November 6-10: VX One North American Championship at Rush Creek Yacht Club (Lake Ray Hubbard, Heath, Texas)

Gold Cup 2014

The VX ONE Class is proud to announce the 2014 Gold Cup. The five regattas listed below will comprise the series. Mark your calendars now to be there!

Midwinter Championship at Davis Island Yacht Club in Tampa, FL from January 31-February 2
Bacardi Miami Sailing Week in Miami, FL from March 6-8
Annapolis NOOD in Annapolis, MD from May 2-4
Sail Newport Regatta in Newport, RI from July 12-13
2014 North American Championship in Newport, RI from July 15-17

#55 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thank you, ols-

Rhode Island is closer than Texas but I am tied up this weekend... def want to go check out a VX-1 regatta in the near future

FB- Doug

#56 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

I didn't exactly type what i meant to type but yeah other than the SB3 which has/had one of the biggest boat marketing machines in the UK/Ireland behind it the small sporty hasn't really done well over there. The J80 and 1720 (but I think that's a dead class) are pretty big boats. One thing about boats like this is for them to work over in England is that you have to be OD as handicap won't work AFAIK so you gotta have the big initial push to get a  fleet set up in some central area like the Solent or Cork.

My question was more along the lines of why would you build a boat in England to sell them mostly in the US especially when you had production set up in the US (and evidently made some pretty decent investment to get that off the ground) but maybe I misunderstand the situation. Ovington are a good boatbuilder so the quality shouldn't be a problem. Hope it works out for them.

#57 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Last Wednesday for my Viper 640, I was hoping for two of my three crew to be available, and all three were, but the wind was light enough to sail two-up. Oliver (ols) offered up his VX One, so I sent two of my crew on my Viper and I took the other crew and drove the VX One for the demo sail I had been wanting all season. On the way out to the course, I fine tuned the sheet configuration and re-lead the gnav line. I got a chance to look under the foredeck and see how some of the bits are rigged. It is all very smart, and I didn't see anything I would configure differently. The ergonomics are excellent.

I had a great start, winning the boat. The over early went up and I quickly turned back to dip clear and overheard them shout that it wasn't me! Very nice of the RC (and not required), but I was able to tack back quickly and keep my high lane for a while.

The first top rounding in a four lap course had us stuck behind big cruisers and we had to cut back and lost our position, but over the rest of the race, I was able to put the boat to the test in light wind. I found that any pinching paid a high price, so I had to sail by the leeward telltales and keep them fluttering so I could stay powered up though tiny directional fluctuations. In my Viper I might have been able to sail to the inside telltales and keep momentum through momentary shifts. In the VX, I always had to sail to the outside of my margin of error, and when I did, it paid off. I was used to trying to sail flat, but we tried to keep the 6° heel that Oliver mentioned to use the hull shape.

Downwind in this particular race, it was nice to have the furling option. Both Vipers had to drop their jibs to keep the spinnaker full. We just had to furl. At the dock, dealing with the luff zipper and having to insert/remove the vertical battens made rigging and de-rigging take just a little bit longer than with the Viper.

The self-tacking jib offers more choices in trimming, but it was a little harder to dial in. With practice, I think it would certainly give the crew something to play with since they don't have to do much for tacking. It is essential to carry some McLube to keep that track slick in light wind.

The spinnaker was easy peasy as you would expect. I thought the cockpit-floor placement of the spin cleat was pretty clever.

I have been spending time lately on my Viper tweaking the gnav setup to not interfere with my instrument brackets, but on the VX One, the gnav and cunningham are cleverly rigged and don't interfere with mounting brackets on the mast. The gnav purchase and track system was very nice and utilized the top and inside of the boom to keep all the purchase on and in the boom, with no block floating down the mast to send gnav control to each side.

Overall, I was very impressed with the boat. If I had the money, I would own a Viper 640 and a VX One. When I am racing, I want to have my ankles in hiking straps and be able to use my body to flatten the boat. I have also been very impressed with the J/70 this year and I am happy to see people choose it to return to racing or downsize from bigger boats. I am glad that Brian Bennett took everything he learned from making a three-person Viper and chose to create an amazing boat for two people instead of another three-person sportboat.

For me, the used market and extensive regional racing options make me very happy to be a Viper 640 owner. I like the options that I get for fine-tuning in ergonomics of my used Viper. I enjoy being able to tune some of the systems on my boat. My Viper benefits from length and stability upwind, but downwind the game opens up. If you are doing mixed fleet racing, I think Viper 640s and VX Ones can compete with very similar performance curves. Oliver, you are not an orphan with the VX One! The Vipers will give you great competition!

Ignoring all the designer/builder drama and history, I wish Whitecap Composites would expand from building Viper 640s to also build VX Ones. The Viper 640 is the 3-person OD sportboat for North America (and Australia). The VX One should be the 2-person OD sportboat. The J/70 is the worldwide four-person sportboat, whether anyone likes it or not. I think there is a great opportunity to build sportboat regattas that include these three fleets. I think the K6 is a distraction, and Rondar should save it for special orders and work with Bennett to build the VX One in the USA. Market the best 2-person and the best 3-person sportboats together and bring both of the fleets to every regatta you can. Invite the J/70 too, and you will cover the sportboat racers who like hiking straps and those who don't!

I took high-school and even middle-school kids on my Viper this year, and I took a high school kid on the VX with me. These kids don't want to move from a Beneteau 36.7 to a J/122. They want to come back on the Viper 640 or VX One every time.

Cheers,

jason

#58 XS-NRG

XS-NRG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Nice review Jason, many good points made.

Regards Freddo

#59 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Great to hear the Vx is so nice, thanks for the excellent write up Jason!

#60 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Jason,

Would love to have you sail a K6 and review it too. Nice write up. The design brief on the VX and Viper are very similar...quite different on the K6. Would be great to get your take on it. Sail one of your friends J70's too.

Not much chance at Whitecap building the VX but I've learned to never say never. They don't build the K6 for that matter too.

We still need to get a couple of national demo days going in some specific regions. I'm still working on the Sailing School boat with some builders and the American Sailing Association that will put together some 'users groups' test sails on a variety of different designs currently in production. Would be great to make this happen in small sporties too.

#61 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I probably shouldn't have said anything one way or the other about the K6 since I have not seen one in person. My apologies to the K6 fans. It would be fun to try out.

I'd still like to try the VX One in big wind.

Cheers,

jason

#62 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

No worries at all Jason. You're sort of a consumers reports on this issue!

It's all good!

#63 bibs

bibs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

...soon as I sell the J22......

#64 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

From what I hear, you'll see both at HPDO.

I probably shouldn't have said anything one way or the other about the K6 since I have not seen one in person. My apologies to the K6 fans. It would be fun to try out.

I'd still like to try the VX One in big wind.

Cheers,

jason

#65 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Are all three boats going to be at the HPDO?

Viper 640

K6

VX One

#66 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Are all three boats going to be at the HPDO?
Viper 640
K6
VX One

Yes.

http://yachtscoring....eet.cfm?eID=895

Low Viper turnout at HPDO, as the North Americans are the same weekend in Houston. 60+ Vipers racing that weekend between the two events.

I imagine more K6s will turn up, as it's the home club of a good sized fleet.

#67 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

Just put down a deposit on a VX!

GO MAN GO

I gotta get up close with one of these

FB- Doug

#68 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

Well I should say I signed some paperwork for a VX and the deposit will be put down tomorrow. But it is moving forward.

#69 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

Well it is official, deposit is down. I know for sure that there are at least 3 (probably 5) VX's coming to OCBC for next season.  Can't wait! Have been wanting a sportboat for a while!

#70 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Good for you man, ocbc is a great place to sail, you guys are going to have a ball with those things.

Well it is official, deposit is down. I know for sure that there are at least 3 (probably 5) VX's coming to OCBC for next season.  Can't wait! Have been wanting a sportboat for a while!

#71 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Right on. Oklahoma is going big.  Soon Fleet #4 (Texas and Oklahoma) here in the South will have 10 boats on the line on regularly.  

NA's will be a good show to watch, everyone is welcome to swing by Rush Creek Yacht Club and enjoy the view.

#72 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Right on. Oklahoma is going big.  Soon Fleet #4 (Texas and Oklahoma) here in the South will have 10 boats on the line on regularly.  
NA's will be a good show to watch, everyone is welcome to swing by Rush Creek Yacht Club and enjoy the view.

I believe I will!

#73 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi all wanted to ask a question, the VX seems to be a great boat. What other boats do folks suggest to also look at, where you can race, carry 2-4 total, singlehand, and on lighter days take out the wife and kids (maybe with a smaller sail like u can with the VX) ? Kind of like a highly versatile sports boat, besides the rs venture.

Thanks for your thoughts !

#74 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

In other words besides the Viper what are the alternatives ?

#75 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

Nothing I am aware of....    ;)

#76 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Might check into a ac45 here in a bit, should be a nice lot of used ones on the market.

Retro with one on the new retractable wings. Really nice option as they can be locked at any point depending on the wind condition. ... And your set

Super stable if you stay off the foils and lots of room in the tramps for the kids to play.

If you have a few extra bucks I hear autohelm has a new autopilot out that uses technology from Boeing. High performance foiling stability in an autopilot.

#77 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Anyone interested in checking out the VX ONE is welcome to come see and sail at HPDO next weekend at American YC. The majority of the 8 boat Newport Fleet will be there, so come talk to the owners, and the designer, and go for a sail if you are interested.

5 boats just sold into OK City boat club. 5 more to Australia, 3 more to Gulf coast, 2 to Newport. Overwhelming interest in the UK, Ireland and Europe ahead of launching the Ovington Factory boat this month.

For the Skiffies, we will have a brand new Musto skiff on hand also. 

Cheers.  B.

#78 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Those are some exciting numbers Brian! Can't wait for the boat to be here. Next season is going to be a blast! There is alot of buzz around the club about the boats being purchased.

#79 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

Simple facts re best boat choice is:

In North America: 

3-4 person hiking.  Viper 640. Bigger crew weight. Higher loads. Great class, and enthusiastic owners.

2-3 person hiking.  VX-One. Light loads. All ages and genders can drive and crew. Growing class with Pro class management. Set up to go ISAF 2014

The rigging methodology and construction practices are different between these two boats.

The VX ONE model is designed for the world market due to its containerability and low campaign and cost of ownership. Now has ASBA rating in Aus. 

The Viper has keen regional interest in North America, but restricted growth in Europe due to over width. Rates well with ASBA in Australia.

In 2014 both classes have great event schedule.

Happy to answer any specific questions if asked.

B.

#80 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

The VX has a jib furler and self tacking jib. That with the wide open uncluttered cockpit make it a great daysailer for family. Intensity Sails now offers a cut down main too.(only $500.00 I believe) Good if want to single hand, or develop your learning curve.

#81 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Guys we need to make the VX One successful.  All of us.  Sounds like the boat we've been for (well, at least me).  Come out to San Francisco where sailing is sexy again thanks to the Americas Cup.  While I wanted New Zealand only to dent Larry Ellisons ego, deep inside I am glad in 3 years its coming back to the SF bay.. a great sailing destination.  I dont know the best way to get the VX introduced into the Bay Area but ping me offline if you need help representing it.  Good times!

#82 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Simple facts re best boat choice is:

In North America: 

3-4 person hiking.  Viper 640. Bigger crew weight. Higher loads. Great class, and enthusiastic owners.

2-3 person hiking.  VX-One. Light loads. All ages and genders can drive and crew. Growing class with Pro class management. Set up to go ISAF 2014

The rigging methodology and construction practices are different between these two boats.

The VX ONE model is designed for the world market due to its containerability and low campaign and cost of ownership. Now has ASBA rating in Aus. 

The Viper has keen regional interest in North America, but restricted growth in Europe due to over width. Rates well with ASBA in Australia.

In 2014 both classes have great event schedule.

Happy to answer any specific questions if asked.

B.

A few other simple facts to present a balanced picture.

Viper 2-4 person, raced by 3.

The Viper can be easily sailed by 2 people. In our local Weds evening series we have a 2 person rule and everyone flies chutes and the sailing is competitive. 

The Viper also has a very large open uncluttered cockpit, so when cruising out to Captain's Island, there is room for 5 or 6 and a cooler full of beer.  

At regattas, you will see all the boats sailing with 3 people.

The sweet spot as far as crew weight is concerned is between 520 and 580 lbs. This allows for a wide range of crew options. You can have 3 average weight folks. Two large guys and a teen or girl. Two lightweight folks and a heavy guy etc etc. Its very easy to put a crew together.  (Easier than say, trying to choose between 2x 200 or 3x 130)  

Viper Well Managed and Well Funded Class Association

The Viper has an extremely well funded Class Association controlled by the class owners, supported by the same manufacturer for 7 years, with a regatta sponsorship deal well into six figures. The Class has to approve any change in builder which prevent annual and semi annual builder changes.      

Viper- Growing on Three Continents and the largest class in its category in North America by a factor of 10

In North America  

There are over 200 boats racing. This coming weekend there will be 30 Vipers at the HPDO and another 30 sailing on the same weekend in Houston.

There is a US based builder as well as a European builder. Built in the USA!

There are regional trophies for Gulf Coast Championship, Atlantic Coast Championship, Pacific Coast Championship, and most recently added the Canadian Championships. This is in addition to NAs and Pan American Championships and over 20 other local regional events.

Outside of North America, there are well attended qualifying events for our Pan Am Champs (which is equivalent to our Worlds) in three continents.

No Viper has ever been stopped in Europe for trailer width issues. The Viper, however does pass the European Community self righting standard, which cannot be said for everyone.

Happy to answer any specific questions on the Viper.

Come to HPDO and Miami to compare!!!!

#83 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Out with the old, in with the new and exciting.  I am a huge fan of the under appreciated underdog.  

Things I like about the VX One besides everything known and said, is the versatility which I think will increase the boats market, eg being able to put on a small main and singlehand it while taking the family out one day, then race the next 5 days of the week.  Haven't heard anyone mention that is a plus with the Viper.

Anyway, evolutionary change is hard, but necessary always.  Ultimately the market will decide.

#84 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

So Ridethewinds, what exactly is your relationship to the VXone? All of your posts listed in your profile are in support of it, but you don't show that you own one......do you work for Bennet? Are you Bennet's sock puppet? A VXone dealer?

It is fine if you are any or all of those things, I just find your lack of clarity on your conflicts-of-interest to be, maybe not quite the right word, but suspect. Tell us about yourself and your boats, maybe put it in your signature?

This is by no means a shot at the VXone, because I quite like what I've seen about the boat.

Out with the old, in with the new and exciting.  I am a huge fan of the under appreciated underdog.  

Things I like about the VX One besides everything known and said, is the versatility which I think will increase the boats market, eg being able to put on a small main and singlehand it while taking the family out one day, then race the next 5 days of the week.  Haven't heard anyone mention that is a plus with the Viper.

Anyway, evolutionary change is hard, but necessary always.  Ultimately the market will decide.

#85 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

Just a consumer that appreciates and embraces change and is passionate about sailing, no relationship to VX previously or currently, and don't own one myself.  But I've heard from a lot of folks who know a lot about, and sail, current alternatives who have tried it and they are pumped.  I also work with technology and see similar patterns with other products and thrive in environments that are ripe for disruption.  Fired up to see a cool new boat gain momentum and grab a foothold and am willing to be an enabler to that process.

I sail all kinds of craft, literally, mostly dinghies and windsurfers, and enjoy discovering new ones every year it seems.

Articles like this 2012 sailboat of the year add fuel as well:

http://www.sailingwo...12-boty-winners

Didn't think voicing excitement about products on SA was a bad thing at all, its consistent with the tenants and principles of the site, I love the anarchy.

#86 hendrixharlow

hendrixharlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

ridethewinds, I definitely wouldn't call the VXOne a 'disruptive' technology by any stretch.  It's clearly an 'evolutionary' development.

#87 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

How much better are we all off here in 2013 that we have to choose between a Vx or viper as opposed to a j24 and ...

Hell, get one of each. That's what the cool kids do

#88 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

Totally ! Good times indeed. The more the merrier. Positive vibrations ultra!

Side note, C dub (Craig Walker) didn't share much about him other than he sails a viper which he just got, but asked for info.. I've learned he also sails a j22 at the UCI sail base at Newport Harbor in so cal, email being wcraigwalker at gmail

#89 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Sail Fast!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

These are both GREAT, WONDERFUL boats...   I have been doing the Viper thing for 5 years now, started @ 50yrs old and my biggest problem with the fleet is they all keep wanting to buy you more drinks.  And I have great friends in the VX clan and they have the exact same attitude.   I hope they don't hurt me too much in Houston next week.    ;)

You really cannot go wrong with either boat, I sail my Viper singelhandedly from time to time, two up with my daughter or wife, or get my friend aboard and swap tacks with the best of them @ the major regattas..

I am VERY CONFIDENT you will see a 40+ boat Viper North Americans in Long Beach next year....  Viper Heaven..  Join the fun now      :)

#90 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

Both are great boats, I was really close to getting a Viper but I wanted the simplicity of sailing 2 up regularly. Sure I  could have done it in the Viper but the VX does it better.

Plus, when you can get a group of 5 to buy at once how can you pass that up!

#91 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

Still curious about the option to go SS mode on the VX for those moments when your balls get a little bigger than your brains. The multiple rig setup in one boat worked great for the Laser.

This quote overheard from a VX'er: "VX for you, Viper for your dad, J/70 for your grandfather...when he gets a little further along."

#92 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Sail Fast!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Naaa... the 70 is just about right for my dad......

oh that's right.... Dad's dead..... :ph34r:

#93 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

My balls have never been bigger than my brains

It's always the monkeys fault

Still curious about the option to go SS mode on the VX for those moments when your balls get a little bigger than your brains. The multiple rig setup in one boat worked great for the Laser.

This quote overheard from a VX'er: "VX for you, Viper for your dad, J/70 for your grandfather...when he gets a little further along."

#94 hendrixharlow

hendrixharlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

These are both GREAT, WONDERFUL boats...   I have been doing the Viper thing for 5 years now, started @ 50yrs old and my biggest problem with the fleet is they all keep wanting to buy you more drinks.  And I have great friends in the VX clan and they have the exact same attitude.   I hope they don't hurt me too much in Houston next week.    ;)

You really cannot go wrong with either boat, I sail my Viper singelhandedly from time to time, two up with my daughter or wife, or get my friend aboard and swap tacks with the best of them @ the major regattas..

I am VERY CONFIDENT you will see a 40+ boat Viper North Americans in Long Beach next year....  Viper Heaven..  Join the fun now      :)

Heck--Viper heaven this weekend..30+ boats at two locations this week, HPDO and NA's...

#95 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Totally ! Good times indeed. The more the merrier. Positive vibrations ultra!

Side note, C dub (Craig Walker) didn't share much about him other than he sails a viper which he just got, but asked for info.. I've learned he also sails a j22 at the UCI sail base at Newport Harbor in so cal, email being wcraigwalker at gmail

Shrug, my identity is very public.

How about you?

#96 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Things I like about the VX One besides everything known and said, is the versatility which I think will increase the boats market, eg being able to put on a small main and singlehand it while taking the family out one day, then race the next 5 days of the week.  Haven't heard anyone mention that is a pls with the Viper

I singlehand my Viper to 12-15 TWS in two-sail mode. Over that, I furl the jib.

Mauri Sails jib with luff wire; Ronstan series 60 furler; reversible to class jib in minutes.

The Viper is very comfortable for four-up daysailing with two non-sailors.

#97 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

How do folks feel the VX compares to the K6, another great boat ?  The idea of K6's 275 lb. retractable keel bulb sounds inviting, minimal to no capsizing, comes in handy in big wind !

#98 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

How did Monkey's treatment work out by the way?

Attached File  Monkey Brain II.jpg   9.36K   5 downloads

Monkey :  "Animal, are you sure this going to work?"

Animal : "Don't worry, a quick shot of 500 volts, and Monkey won't be doing that crazy stuff any more, won't that be nice?" 

Monkey "Hey , wait Animal, I just realized.......its not me that does the crazy stuff...its you....you're the one who sailed the Viper without the bulb.....you're the one who filled up the RV with popcorn and inflatable dolls ....you're the one who.."

Animal  "SSsssh, Hush now"

Flicks switch

Monkey "Arrrrgggggghhhhhhh"

My balls have never been bigger than my brains

It's always the monkeys fault

#99 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

It's a great boat. You should get one, right away.

How do folks feel the VX compares to the K6, another great boat ?  The idea of K6's 275 lb. retractable keel bulb sounds inviting, minimal to no capsizing, comes in handy in big wind !

#100 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

Clearly .... flying with style !  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-sSakFpRvOc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users