• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#201 coolerboy

coolerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

How does VX One compare to K-6 speed wise? K-6 trying to catch some traction on Bay. VX One definitely promotes themselves much better. More expensive though. Melges 20 prob not going to catch on here cause so over-priced. Have to think one of these 2-3 man boats will have a shot with the direction new boat buyers are headed.

#202 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

I haven't personally sailed the K6 yet. The VX will do upper 5's / low 6's upwind. It really trucks to windward when sailed loaded and holding it flat. Downwind you can see speeds of 20 knots plus in the right conditions. Max registered its 24 knots. 13 to 16 knots of hull speed are common across fleets in winds between 12 to 16 aprox, so that kind of gives an idea of what the boat is about. Then anybody that have some hours on the K6 can let you know, same as on the Melges 20.

#203 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

The spinnaker tack line is not independent of the launch/retrieval system and you cannot really ease it separately (as far as I know.)  Normally, the spinnaker tack should be right up against the end of the bowsprit when flying the kite. If there is tack line visible while flying the kite, I would think that the bowsprit is not fully extended.   On the VX polar, here's one that was posted on the prior vxonedesignracing.com website. Hope that helps

Attached Files

#204 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I don't know for sure because I haven't sailed the boat alot but i know that at nationals in 2012 we were looking at 5.6-5.9 upwind depending on footing or pinching. It always seemed like that boat did much better footing off a little bit and letting it get some real flow going over the foils. 

Granted I have limited time on the boat. Give us a few months with 6 of them on the line here and I will come back with some hard data like the other guys have.

#205 XS-NRG

XS-NRG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

I have been sailing the VX-0ne for a season and a half and I can confirm the numbers quoted are correct.

I any reasonable breeze you will do 6.0 to 6.5 easily.

Down wind the VX-One in over 10 knots of breeze will do the wind speed plus 2 knots, till about 16-18 knots then it starts to reduce from there. Again its not uncommon to do 16-18 knots. down wind.

We regularly hit 16 knot two sail reaching in anything over 15 knots.

Easily best boat I have ever sailed & owned.

#206 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

One thing that isn't be brought up is the price of running the boat. Travailing is easy and can be towed by 4 Cylinder cars. Plus sails are cheap, Intensity sails are about 1600 for a full set of sails. At that price it makes it so most people can keep good sails on the boat. It should be noted that the Intensity sails have proven to be fast. Brian Bennet won the first three races of nationals with a set.

#207 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

The spinnaker tack line is not independent of the launch/retrieval system and you cannot really ease it separately (as far as I know.)  Normally, the spinnaker tack should be right up against the end of the bowsprit when flying the kite. If there is tack line visible while flying the kite, I would think that the bowsprit is not fully extended.   On the VX polar, here's one that was posted on the prior vxonedesignracing.com website. Hope that helps

I have a fascination with polars.  Why do the polar and leave the top end of the graph so flat?  It does not show where the vmg trails off.  And there seem to be bumps in odd places.  And no bumps where I would expect them (or not as sharp as I would expect them), like at the point where the spin becomes an advantage.  I guess it is all up to the fact that polars are estimates and do not take account of many factors, including sea state, air temp, etc.

#208 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

Frieecken brilliant. I'm just glad to see a good boat get what it deserves. Attention. I feel like we are witnessing a progression in the evolution of something great. We need this to take us to new levels, like a catalyst. Something that was destined to be great. Why ? B/c someone really really thought hard about how to make something simple efficient affordable and fun. I ain't no sock puppet but recognize the difference between greatness and something that just that doesn't stand out. Call it corny or whatever, we are thankful for the progression. Bring it on. Yes I've had too many beers but why not. Preaching from the chest. The core. The truth. Almost like when McCartney and Lennon teamed up or even better, Slash and Axl. Yowzer. Magic. The right thing. The real thing. That's what life is about...when it clicks it clicks. As someone who builds products in software you have to appreciate the energy and thought and sweat put into something when you see it. You almost have to investigate bc there's been a lot of effort to deliver something for the right reasons. The man has tried to deliver a product of value. It's not like something average has been whipped out here. Put yourself in the mans shoes, he has to take things to the next level and reset the bar. Who doesn't want to own the latest technology, improvements, and thinking that will grant you pure sailing bliss ?!!

#209 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

One thing that isn't be brought up is the price of running the boat. Travailing is easy and can be towed by 4 Cylinder cars. Plus sails are cheap, Intensity sails are about 1600 for a full set of sails. At that price it makes it so most people can keep good sails on the boat. It should be noted that the Intensity sails have proven to be fast. Brian Bennet won the first three races of nationals with a set.

No need for a motor either I'd suspect? Does anyone have the motor mount, or an image thereof?

BTW, the post above frightens me a little…  <_<

There is a motor mount out there. I have seen a picture of it but don't have one that I can link to. All the boats come with a piece of g10 in the area where you would want to mount the motor and it is marked with two very fine dimples. 

#210 Barnboat

Barnboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have been sailing the VX-0ne for a season and a half and I can confirm the numbers quoted are correct.
Down wind the VX-One in over 10 knots of breeze will do the wind speed plus 2 knots, till about 16-18 knots then it starts to reduce from there. Again its not uncommon to do 16-18 knots. down wind.

If these numbers were real (6.5 upwind, TWS+2 downwind) the VX would be consistently faster than the Viper 640. This is not the case, according to ASBA results, where the fastest Vipers are beating the fastest VXs. A very small speed difference...not a reason to choose one boat over the other. But caveat emptor when it comes to anecdotal speed claims and polars.

#211 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

If these numbers were real (6.5 upwind, TWS+2 downwind) the VX would be consistently faster than the Viper 640. This is not the case, according to ASBA results, where the fastest Vipers are beating the fastest VXs. A very small speed difference...not a reason to choose one boat over the other. But caveat emptor when it comes to anecdotal speed claims and polars.

My understanding is that the VXs racing in ASBA events are modified. They have a sugar scoop extension to make them 6.0m to comply with the ASBA rules. I believe they've also used masthead spinnakers.

#212 XS-NRG

XS-NRG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

Hi Bareboat,

The numbers I quoted are in ideal flat conditions. I am sure you wild find the Viper will do the same or better as being a bigger boat with 3 people and bigger sail area.

As you know there is a big difference between optimal speeds and racing conditions.

The VXs accounted for themselves pretty well against the fleet at the ASBA National.

Keep in mind York was sailing with two guys on board who he has not sailed with before on foreign sailing venue.

The results were good for all and the Vipers deserved the results they achieved. Congrats to them.

The event also proved that the SMS rating is accurate as there was great racing and results by all.

#213 Barnboat

Barnboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

[/quote] My understanding is that the VXs racing in ASBA events are modified. They have a sugar scoop extension to make them 6.0m to comply with the ASBA rules. I believe they've also used masthead spinnakers.[/quote]
That would explain why VX's are falling into two tiers of SMS rating. Are sugar scoops required for all VX's to qualify for ASBA? Are some flying masthead spins?

#214 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

How does VX One compare to K-6 speed wise? K-6 trying to catch some traction on Bay. VX One definitely promotes themselves much better. More expensive though. Melges 20 prob not going to catch on here cause so over-priced. Have to think one of these 2-3 man boats will have a shot with the direction new boat buyers are headed.

I've never sailed a VX so I'm not the best qualified to talk about that boat. I have sailed the Viper, K6, M20, M24, J70, a lot in the Bay. IMHO...one key thing to success in the Bay is stability. The K6 is very stable largely due to a completely different design philosophy. The stability is not form, but ballast. K6 is narrow and carries basically the same keel as a Viper. Both VX and Viper get much of their stability by simply being wide.

The Viper is probably the funnest boat I've sailed in the Bay....check that, funnest under 25'. The K6 comes in a VERY close second. Both are f'n ballistic in 25 knots true. We've demoed a lot of people in the Viper and have to admit we ended up selling a lot of Open 5.7's as a result. Folks just get freaked when the boat gets pinned after broaching. It can take a bit to get the rudder back in the piss in the breeze. I hear lots of tales about the VX flipping in big air (yes Vipers flip too). I've tried really, really hard to flip the K6. Can't do it. I regularly go stand on the gooseneck during a K6 demo and boat is stays up...I am not a small person. It's daunting when you flip a boat in one of the ship channels, it's blowing 30 and you are desperately trying to get it on it's feet so you can miss that 800 foot container ship bearing down on you at 15 knots.

The K6 also has gained traction as it is pretty easy to singlehand and VERY easy to sail with a complete noob due to the control tower in the middle of the boat. The price is a very compelling argument. $25k for a boat, full up...trailer, Norths, carbon mast, boom, prod.

The downside to the sportboats in SF Bay is the Wabbit Wule....must have 400 lbs of ballast to get a PHRF rating. The local YRA is now including a sportboat class in many of their races under Portsmouth Rule. Even the Melges 20 has to add lead pigs into the engine box to meet the YRA requirements for PHRF racing. FWIW...the Ultimate 20, Open 5.7, M24, J70 all have 400+ lb keels so you see them regularly at club races.

I have a friend in the UK that tells me the VX will have a tough time there as it can't get an IRC cert. because too little ballast. I guess the Viper has just enough. I know nothing about small boats in IRC so this is just hearsay.

I can say that target numbers in the 6-6.5 on the Viper exist too. 6.2 is the number going upwind, relatively flat water in 20+  6.5 is easily had, but you're losing height. It does give you the option of sailing long onto the starboard layline to keep clear of the fray...speed build is fast and predictable with just a bit of down.

I'll have the K6 at the new NMMA Boat show running this week, Jan 23-26, inside the pavillion at AT&T Ballpark. Swing by and I'll buy you a beer!

...drew

#215 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

Based on what you said the VX sounds like it isn't as stable in a knockdown as the K6. Brian markets the boat as a lead assisted dinghy and I think that is a great way to think about it. It can turtle if things go really wrong.

#216 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Vernan, My conjecture on the VX as I've yet to sail one but I think both of Brian's boats, the VX and the Viper (prior to the upgraded mast/keel) are both lead assisted dinghies....well said!

#217 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

My understanding is that the VXs racing in ASBA events are modified. They have a sugar scoop extension to make them 6.0m to comply with the ASBA rules. I believe they've also used masthead spinnakers.

That would explain why VX's are falling into two tiers of SMS rating. Are sugar scoops required for all VX's to qualify for ASBA? Are some flying masthead spins?
ASBA has a 6.0m minimum length rule for its events. Non-ASBA regattas don't necessarily include this rule.

SMS doesn't have this rule. SMS is similar to IRC in being a secret formula that gets updated if the results favour one type of boat. It's straightforward to get different SMS certificates if you make changes to your boat. SMS is run by a separate body not connected to the ASBA.

So the VXs will have different SMS ratings depending on whether they use a sugar scoop and the size of their spinnakers.

Most of the sportsboats in Australia have masthead spinnakers. The Viper is the main exception, but the Viper spinnaker is still quite large. The one design VX spinnaker is tiny by Australian standards.

#218 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

I have been sailing our VX "Mavxerick" for a few months now and can comment on knockdowns.  My wife and I went the San Diego 1/1/14 race and it blew up to 15 on a tight reach.  We were over powered on a puff and were subsequently on our side and sitting on the rail.  As the puff passed we came back up and continued on.  It was a clean knock down and righting.  I had no sense of it trying to turtle.  Although I try to avoid KDs it was a test that I was planning to run, just sooner than expected.  I will have to do again in more wind 20+ to see in the hull windage will drive us all the way over.

The boat is currently back in the barn for a trapeze install.  I want to do some tests in that configuration.  Waiting for parts from Vela and some wind. Everyone is welcome to sail when I have it back at HMBYC later this month.

#219 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

It can happen for sure. I don't think we have gone over in less than 20 sustained. But in 20-25 you are not in survival mode, just having to sail the boat. Most of the times I have swam while sailing the VX were early on and had very little experience in sportboats so steep learning curve.

#220 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

I should add that the KD was because I could not drive off due to an adjacent lee shore. Therefore we let the kite and main fly. The VX laid over and came back up on the same course, no round up even thought the rudder was out of the water.  Not a bad result compared to other boats I have had. That said, the boat can power up and I want to take advantage of that.  A trap or another body would likely have avoided the situation.

#221 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

I use a ramp. I added guides to back support. You need guides. Tow car tire spare has same bolt pattern as trailer.
Made guides from an aluminum ladder brace I cut in half. It is available at Home Depot for ~$20. Boat tows nice.

#222 kiwikz7

kiwikz7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

Two new VX's delivered to the Beaufort Yacht Club Wednesday; will launch off a ramp. Sailed VX103 off the ramp many times with no problems. We do not use trailer guides. No reason you couldn't add them.

#223 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

Just put my Vx up for sale.

Buy now and you can still make the Florida midwinters and bacardi in Miami

#224 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

What? You better be selling to build the fleet!

#225 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

Focusing on the Viper Ultra?

FM

#226 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Turbo Viper would be awesome! MH Kite, vertical rudder, twin traps!

#227 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Some action from races 1&2 at the Australian Nationals:

#228 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Moving further towards "Gentleman Farmer" mode Ultra?

Wait, can that happen in the ROT??   :ph34r:

#229 bibs

bibs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Looking for one. WHy  the sale ?

#230 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

Just saw #007 went up for sale too. I wonder why?

#231 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

https://www.facebook...27688253&type=1

Australian National Championship! Looks like some great conditions!

#232 Dwoody24

Dwoody24

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

007 is being sold within the fleet. It has been replaced with 152. Jim currently owns both. Jeff is trying to help us build our Rush Creek fleet so we are trying to find it a home there.

#233 intensitysails

intensitysails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Laser & VX One Sailing

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Rod, It is even worse than that!!!  I have 152 and 007 but after selling 007 I am replacing her with another new VX.  

Own 2 or go home!!!

#234 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

That is awesome Jim! Gonna have to talk to you about a colored spinnaker once the boat comes in. The white one will do for practice but gonna need some color in the sails for regattas!

We get the boats mid March, when are the OKC fleet and the Dallas fleet going to get together for the first time this year?

#235 Shaytoon

Shaytoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Rush Creek is having the Annual Founder's Regatta  May 24th -25th.

Should give the OK fleet a little time to get used to the boats.

D

#236 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I placed my order at the very end of October along with the four other guys from my club. We were offered to have the boats shipped straight to Oklahoma but were also offered to have the boats sent to Miami for the Bacardi cup and then they would be brought to Oklahoma afterwards. Several of our fleet members wanted to sail Bacardi so the boats went to Miami first then will be in Oklahoma by Mid March. 

So if we hadn't had the odd arrangement the boats would have been here early feb, so about 3 months from order to delivery.  

That is awesome Jim! Gonna have to talk to you about a colored spinnaker once the boat comes in. The white one will do for practice but gonna need some color in the sails for regattas!

We get the boats mid March, when are the OKC fleet and the Dallas fleet going to get together for the first time this year?

Vern,

How long did it take you to get your boat from order to (projected) delivery? If I do snarf one, I'd probably end up keeping it at home, but probably race it at Rush Creek if I understand where the fleets are around here.

PM if you like.

#237 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

My new boat will be here in April.  Snapper, if your interested in a boat now would be the time.   I have a trailer capable of transporting up to  three boats with their trailers at a time.  So we could get them back to TX for next to nothing.  

#238 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Sweet! Glad to hear your new one will be here so soon! The Rush Creek Founder Day regatta is starting to look like a good get together for the fleets, either that or Lakefest would be a good first go around for our new boats!

#239 Dwoody24

Dwoody24

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

Vernon,

I think we should try to get a group for Texoma, and then Founders for sure. Trying to get JJ's old boat into the Rush Creek Fleet. That would give us 4 plus the Okc boats 6 that makes for a nice fleet. Oh and on the Spin Color just no Green :-)) lol

Green Flash

US-130

#240 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

Snapper95,

When are you coming to Rush Creek for a ride on the boat?

#241 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

Okay, so maybe Texoma as a first get together! Sounds like a good time! 

21st and 22nd of June needs to be on the Rush Creek fleets map! That is our Lighthouse Regatta here at OCBC. Would be great to get all four (or three) boats up here for that. I have two spare rooms I can put people up in 8 minutes from the lake!

Vernon,

I think we should try to get a group for Texoma, and then Founders for sure. Trying to get JJ's old boat into the Rush Creek Fleet. That would give us 4 plus the Okc boats 6 that makes for a nice fleet. Oh and on the Spin Color just no Green :-)) lol

Green Flash

US-130

#242 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Oh and for spin color.... not sure what we are going to do. May end up red or blue. We will see.

Vernon,

Green Flash

US-130

#243 Dwoody24

Dwoody24

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Lighthouse Regatta is on our calendar for sure. Hoping by then we will be bringing more like 6 boats. :-)

#244 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Great! Glad you all have some interest down there! I am hoping once the boats get here that we can convince a few more people here to jump on the VX bandwagon. 

I sent out an email to the other VX folks here suggesting Lakefest and The Founders Regatta as a possible first two regattas followed by the Lighthouse.  Now we just have to wait for our boats to get here....

#245 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

0900 is perfect. We get here early and always have warm coffee.

#246 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

It's snowy here...white stuff all over

#247 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Stealing this photo from Bennet! This is a picture of the six new boats in the states, five of them are coming to Oklahoma and the sixth is going to Dallas.

#248 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hopefully they will be racing against the VX you are about the buy and race in the Dallas area!

Man, those things look fast just sitting on the ground.   <_<

Kind of cool looking at the boats in that image, wondering what's in store for them, eh?

#249 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Bazinga

On a related note snapper, because of your procrastination I was able to swoop in and secure hull no 169 in the April container.

Hopefully they will be racing against the VX you are about the buy and race in the Dallas area!

Man, those things look fast just sitting on the ground.   <_<

Kind of cool looking at the boats in that image, wondering what's in store for them, eh?

#250 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Why am I not surprised Ultra bought #69.... At least you will be able to have fun with the name.

Snapper in all seriousness, if you can get involved with this fleet now it will be a great time to do it. Gonna be alot of new owners here in OKC and in Tx so we will all be learning together while we get beat by Ultra, Rod and Woody.

#251 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Stepping the mast is what I think is the worst part of the process but it is easy compared to any other mast I have stepped. You need to go sail one and see, the boat and the processes that go along with it are well thought out.

I can't speak for the Dallas boats but we will have 6 in OKC.

#252 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Ease of set up depends on if you are solo, or have help, and strength.  Stepping the mast in wind is a bit of a balancing act solo but easy with two.  Passing the keel bulb over the saddle and maintaining location by yourself takes more time if there is cross wind or current. I do most of this solo and have added assists to make it quick and easy.  A second person or a strong kid works as well.

#253 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Thanks much. After seeing the trailer at NA's, figured a couple of vertical guides might be a good investment to help center the boat. I keep asking about this because I'll be ramp launching and rigging routinely. I suspect most with a VX do as well, except for ultra- he just picks the hull off of the trailer and hurls it into the lake Chuck Norris style- claims it saves time.

Sounds like I can step the mast solo if necessary, might have to rig up a way to hold it vertically while I hop onto the deck. I did talk to Brian about some options for doing so. It would be nice if I could have the boat rigged when the crew finally staggers into the Marina, hungover from the previous night's festivities.

I was also looking at the main sheet set up to see if you could leave it mostly rigged when taking the boom off, same with the rest of the rigging. Amazing how futzing with little things like ring dings eat up time.

I cannot imagine it is very hard to rig the boat singlehandedly - even the Viper 640 is easy to rig Uno Mano - it was a bit more of a bitch to do back when the had a resonably heavy sleeved tin rig.

So are you done with tire kicking and finally going to buy a boat?

#254 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Snapper-  I agree about futzing.  I added trailer uprights and a bumper where the keel bulb hits the back of the trailer.  The boom comes off and stay rigged.  I use fast pins in a lot of places.  I made a mast step support that fits on the top of the dagger board which allows me to walk the mast up and down. I also repositioned the front trailer mast support to the right side of the frame so I can extend the pole and check the spin rigging. All minor futzes to make trailering a little easier on a great boat.

#255 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

Snapper,

I think I said it before but this season will be a great time to get into the fleet. We are going to have so many new owners, myself included, that we will all be learning together.

If you are rigging and derigging on a regular basis you will figure out a system for it that fits your style. The only time i have de- rigged the boat is when we are planning to drive long distances so it is a different style of derigging than if you are just going a few miles. 

Go sail the boat with Rod, you will be amazed at how it sails. It is effortless speed. You will be amazed when you look down and are going 14-15 knots and are not even working to do it. I have seen 20 and I know some people out there have seen 24 knots on the boats. At 20 I was still looking behind us for bigger wind hoping to go faster. 

#256 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

Then you'll love the new aero fenders.

As for toss launching - Christian has it mastered. I still have to use both hands

I cannot imagine it is very hard to rig the boat singlehandedly - even the Viper 640 is easy to rig Uno Mano - it was a bit more of a bitch to do back when the had a resonably heavy sleeved tin rig.

Boat? I just want a fast, planing trailer! 

#257 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

I understand the concerns, hope when you get to sail the boat you realize it is what you are looking for!

#258 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Then you'll love the new aero fenders.

As for toss launching - Christian has it mastered. I still have to use both hands

Boat? I just want a fast, planing trailer! 

Amateur!  

#259 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

good question.  there is a block on that forward bulkhead that is hidden by the spin sock  The extension purchase goes from the mast base, through that block and terminates with a block which you run the halyard through.   If it gets pulled forward all the way it's tough to get to (pull the bag to the side, find someone skinny or fish it out with a boat hook.  

Most folks either tie it back before they take the halyard out, or run a tracer line.    If I were driving 10 or less miles to the lake on a regular basis I'd leave the halyard run through the entire system - it's long enough to do when the mast down and stored on the cradles.  Hell, I'd probably also leave all the standing rigging on the mast secured with a bungee or three.

The automatic pole extension system is epic.

#260 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Jeff explained it well. Brad who I have sailed with used a tracer line and we have never had a problem. really simple process. But as Jeff said, just leave it run most of the time for short travel.

#261 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

The great thing about living in America is that product demand (should) drive everything vs. anyone's agenda.  I've heard one person tell me its a dying boat but that person also had an obvious agenda.  Very glad to see the VX drum up virality in the market, in other words its not koolaid being passed around but simple enthusiasm, what it should be.  I love the Raider 2 Turbo as passionately as yall do the VX, it gets me just stoked (its a blast since I single hand a lot, it just barely fits in my garage, easy to launch, easy to dolly, etc.) which are important factors right now for me an average guy; look forward to trying the VX someday looks like a hoot. 

#262 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

For anyone in the SF bay area, my VX will be at the Richmond YC "sail a small boat" event March 1.

#263 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

Is there access to the sprit extension line and controls through the chute launching mouth? There has to be a turning block in there somewhere to extend the pole, eh?

Just to add to the picture... if you're sitting on the foredeck (or standing in front of the boat) the entire chute launching mouth feeds into the spinnaker sock, so you cannot reach inside the boat through the launcher without having the sock between your hand and whatever you might be trying to reach. Access to the blocks you're asking about is from the cockpit - you slide under the foredeck toward the bow to get there, but ideally, it only needs to be done once! (I know I fit, since I messed up the tracer line one time and had to re-rig the spin halyard.)

#264 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

Big news!

#265 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

is it still considered planning if the only thing touching the water are the keel and rudder?    That is an interesting question.  Do moth's plane? 

#266 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Kind of an inside joke if you've followed the J/70 threads- Talking to Rod, it seems the VX One planes about the time the typical PHRF fleet begins to move.

You going to loan out any of that KY you used to lube the Gnav bearing surface? Does it need to be lubed at all? 

Tomorrow will be ideal conditions here in Rush Creek and it is supposed to be a triangular course, so we should be doing alright. 

#267 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Happy to hear it Snapper! You don't realize it but you just signed up for endless emails from myself encouraging you to show up to regattas......

Rod is just rubbing in the fact that he has a boat and is getting to sail.

#268 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

Happy to hear it Snapper! You don't realize it but you just signed up for endless emails from myself encouraging you to show up to regattas......

Rod is just rubbing in the fact that he has a boat and is getting to sail.

+2!!!   You know you just got to get here and sail in the meantime!!

#269 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:25 AM

I have tried to convince Stephanie that a weekend in Dallas should be spent sailing a VX, she seems to disagree and think that a better way to spend it is to go to IKEA and shop for new home furnishings to stock our new house. I put my foot down and....... we went to IKEA last time we were in Dallas.

#270 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

I see nothing wrong with that process! Makes perfect sense.

Can't wait until mid march when our "fleet in a box" arrives, just add water and sailors.

#271 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

It was an awesome day here. I introduced my wife to VX surfing.  The swells were running 3-4 feet down the coast. 57F. NW Wind 12-18mph. Planed for 1/2 mile then sailed back upwind and did again.  

#272 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

I advocate a new way of doing things-

Buy boat first, then go on demo sail with mad VXOne Skipper. Next is call Bennett Yachting to locate dealer, then read reviews, learn details of boat from article in sailing magazine, and finally end with hearing rumors of a new design from clandestine agent in a post on Sailing Anarchy. Logic and thorough research are overrated.

Very much impressed with the boat after Rod's excellent demo. Almost felt like buying another one!

Snapper, Thank you for making it to the Creek. It was a great day for sailing in the middle of February. We had tons of fun doing the windward spinnaker hoist (starboard roundings) , how to get rid of spinnaker wraps and we broke the record on the fastest" Oh sh... we are heading to the wrong mark, drop the kite on the windward side now!" maneuver!  gotta love this long distance races.

The clock is ticking...!!

#273 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Yeah, you could set it up but if would have to be done ashore. I have tried to rerun the dousing line while sailing and it ended up with me swimming. Granted it was my first time on the boat and the wind was blowing 20+.

#274 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

Yeah, that bow is a small area when you get up there and it decides to go underwater into a big wave. 

#275 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, that bow is a small area when you get up there and it decides to go underwater into a big wave. 

To avoid this I moved the trailer mast support off center which allows the pole to extend while still on the trailer .  I can check the kite deployment before splashing the boat.

#276 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

That is a great idea! It was never a problem after that so I don't know if I will modify my trailer when I get it.

#277 AussieMick

AussieMick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:RC Gliders, RC Helicopters, Sailing

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

If you set the spinnaker up on the starboard side the retrieval line will be on the inside of the bottom of the spinnaker and that will let the spinnaker drag in the water on takedowns, increasing the chances of prawning the kite.

To alleviate this you would have to get a second loop for the retrieval line on the other side of the spinnaker.

Mick

#278 AussieMick

AussieMick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

The VX One kites that I have owned have all had their attachment points only on one side.  Setting up on port was the only option so far.

#279 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

99% of the time all you will need is the port set up. Unless you start doing alot of distance races you will be fine.

#280 Scottyk

Scottyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

VX One single handed in 20 knots with jib and kite up!

Only just saw this video

That's a nice but of sailing, boat looks good.

Pity we didn't get to see how he got the kite up and down in a crowded Sydney Harbour 

#281 AussieMick

AussieMick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

VX One single handed in 20 knots with jib and kite up!

Only just saw this video

That's a nice but of sailing, boat looks good.

Pity we didn't get to see how he got the kite up and down in a crowded Sydney Harbour 

#282 Scottyk

Scottyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

thanks Mick

#283 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

If you set the spinnaker up on the starboard side the retrieval line will be on the inside of the bottom of the spinnaker and that will let the spinnaker drag in the water on takedowns, increasing the chances of prawning the kite.

To alleviate this you would have to get a second loop for the retrieval line on the other side of the spinnaker.

Mick

"pawning the kite" and "alleviate" in one post.  Well played sir.

#284 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Mick

"pawning the kite" and "alleviate" in one post.  Well played sir.

"prawning" is what he said.  I think that works better.  A little more specific than "shrimping"...

#285 AussieMick

AussieMick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

It is an 8mm for the main bolts, 6mm for the keel cap plate.

Nearly everything is metric.

Mick

#286 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Snapper, I look forward to meeting you in person in a few days, but I am much more excited about meeting my new boat in person! Thursday can't get here soon enough!

#287 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

Snapper, I look forward to meeting you in person in a few days, but I am much more excited about meeting my new boat in person! Thursday can't get here soon enough!

Your new boat is better looking, faster, and a lot more fun to be around that I am. 

Looking forward to meeting all of you as well. Seems like a great group and a great fleet.

+2.

#288 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:50 AM

you motherfuckers owe us a front page story.  Get off your asses and write one!  I don't care who, but c'mon - if there's one thing we've proven it's that a good story on the front page SELLS BOATS.

#289 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

you motherfuckers owe us a front page story.  Get off your asses and write one!  I don't care who, but c'mon - if there's one thing we've proven it's that a good story on the front page SELLS BOATS.

Whoa dude, long winter getting to you?

#290 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

:lol: Classic!!

Good stuff Clean...alright mate, I'll work with the boys and girls and we will put something together shortly...Miami had some epic rides!! 

#291 USA389

USA389

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

Does anybody have a line on a cheap charter for the Newport regatta for an prospective owner? Please PM me.

#292 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Does anybody have a line on a cheap charter for the Newport regatta for an prospective owner? Please PM me.

PM'ed you.

#293 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Here are some mods I have made to the trailer.  It is the best trailer (EZ Loader) have ever had.  However I often launch from a beach which experiences tidal surge.  
I also wanted to check the kite lines while still on the trailer, so I moved the mast support off center to be able to extend the pole.
VX Trailer standoff
VX Trailer standoff close Up
VX Trailer keel bumper
Mast support
VX Trailer mast support spin pole clearance
Mast support back side

#294 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

Anymore VX fleets popping up in FL? Saw that Savannah has a decent number of boats now.

#295 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Happening now in Oklahoma City Boat Club:

1503854_10102111778176497_293444813_n.jp

#296 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

Day started at about 8am with a cup of coffee. Just got back to the house. Unloaded 6 Vx's, put bunks and everything on all six trailers. Put the keels in all the boats. The Bennett team worked all day helping us all get the boats ready. 

Fun day for sure and alot of work. Can't wait for the weather to allow us to get on the water!

#297 TBone

TBone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

...c'mon - if there's one thing we've proven it's that a good story on the front page SELLS BOATS.

Proven?
Do tell, Alan!
The sales of which boats have benefitted from a FP story?

#298 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

I agree Snapper, their operation is pretty smooth. Glad you made it back and glad you didn't have to go back empty handed.

They have an elegant operation that is designed to deliver a great boat efficiently. Pretty cool engineering, both on and off the water.

OKC gang was accommodating and gracious. Looking forward to seeing you all in the future. Nice setup all around.

The whole class is a breath of fresh air.

#299 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Video from the front page! Check out 01:27 in the video, you see what I believe is a J70 come into view and disappear after just a few seconds. Shows the speed the VX is doing!

#300 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Great video. 

Also saw this one where a VX walks away from a Melges 24 at around 0:51:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users