#302 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Good news is the boat fits in the garage! Just have to leave the truck outside. The mast will have to hang from the ceiling in the garage but for now "the boss"/Co-owner/ girlfriend has said the mast can live in the living room. 

#303 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Good news is the boat fits in the garage! Just have to leave the truck outside. The mast will have to hang from the ceiling in the garage but for now "the boss"/Co-owner/ girlfriend has said the mast can live in the living room. 

I do believe she is a keeper- the boat AND the girlfriend.

Good grief, the T-Bone in the background of that ASBA video (left of the mainsail at the beginning) was nasty. Killed the tacking boat big time.

I didn't notice that first time around, looks like a bloody big smash! 

#304 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

You lucky son of a bitch, your squeeze, better known as "the boss", let's the rig live in the living room. Don't let her get away! She has way to much class for any, "show us her tits", bull shit. Nice catch.

#305 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:33 AM

My boss let the VX sails stay in the living room and she likes her new Gill dry suit.
New VX Sail

#306 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

I have got to get a VX. saillhmb has a living room full of asymm and his old lady is happy and optimistic about that and her Gill dry suit. I already spoke of Vernon Green and his little sweety. Nice to have girls that are willing to put up with some shit until the program smoothes out and comes together. Nice start to the projects, settle in and never look back.

#307 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

Holy shit, I never noticed that crash at the beginning of that video.

#308 JakeL

JakeL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:keelboats and sportboats

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

When does racing start in Newport? Going to have to try to come down for a demo day. 

#309 VI-Newport-TP

VI-Newport-TP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

When does racing start in Newport? Going to have to try to come down for a demo day. 

We are having season kickoff weekend  may 10th and another sat racing the 24th 

#310 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Does anybody have a line on a cheap charter for the Newport regatta for an prospective owner? Please PM me.

PM'ed you.

Hey Rod, you seem very helpful. Do you have a line on the producer of the VX extruded keel? If I can get one from you and make it work that's fine. I'll happily pay the middle man. If I need a deeper strut, can I get one from you? Will I have to go through the manufacturer?

I am more than happy to pay you for whatever service you could provide.

Thanx, Dave.

#311 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

SC- what do you intent to do with a second keel for the VX? or this for another boat?

#312 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:37 AM

Does anybody have a line on a cheap charter for the Newport regatta for an prospective owner? Please PM me.

PM'ed you.

Hey Rod, you seem very helpful. Do you have a line on the producer of the VX extruded keel? If I can get one from you and make it work that's fine. I'll happily pay the middle man. If I need a deeper strut, can I get one from you? Will I have to go through the manufacturer?

I am more than happy to pay you for whatever service you could provide.

Thanx, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thank you. Glad to hear that one can be useful.

I can certainly help you with an additional blade only without a bulb. We have been working on this "on the back room" to use it in dinghy races as it will chop close to 135 lbs by removing the bulb.

I Will find out about increased length, but don't think it will be an issue. Feel free to PM me your information and I'll send you everything I have ASAP. 

My email is rod@velasailingsupply.com

#313 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Rod, e-mailed you.

#314 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

Sounds like the first get together with the new boats will be at Fort Worth Boat club near Dallas, Tx. Should be fun! Late April and it can't get here soon enough!

#315 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything besides sailing?

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

VX One single handed in 20 knots. Including flying with the kite up, 16.7 knots boatspeed single handed!

#316 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

^ recycled video from previous page. Nothing new to show?

#317 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

10003893 10101799793236892 1373302819 N

Just got the keel back from the paint shop! The boss wanted a pink bulb so she got it!

#318 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Be glad there's no kelp in OK...

Be a little hard to see it on a black foil

#319 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

Just in case, there's a kelp cutter on the leading edge of the keel on the VX

#320 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

Late night viper grenade eh timbo?

Be glad there's no kelp in OK...

Be a little hard to see it on a black foil

#321 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Snapper, they had the kits for the kelp cutters with them if you wanted one. I am sure they would send you one if you wanted it. They had found that most people had been taking them out so they just stopped putting them in but they had all the parts.

As for being hard to see kelp.... not much of that here in Ok thankfully.

#322 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

<snip>they had the kits for the kelp cutters with them if you wanted one. I am sure they would send you one if you wanted it. They had found that most people had been taking them out so they just stopped putting them in but they had all the parts.<end snip>

Interesting - So kelp cutter is an option now? On mine (142) it was just standard. It would be interesting to know the list of tweaks to the boat since Ovington's began production. I've heard that there's now non-skid along the entire rail instead of only the back corner (just realized I can actually see this in the photo on post #304(!)), the keel fin may now be filled instead of empty, and they added some small washers behind the sections of the jib track with the tightest curve to help the car slide a bit smoother there, especially in light air. (I'm planning to try adding these when my boat comes out of winter storage.)  Any better/ more complete details from folks with a new one?

#323 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Not sure what you mean by the keel fin may now be filled, as far as I know it is still empty just like yours.

Only other difference I can think of is the furling line cleat is hidden under the deck and is located in a different spot.

#324 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Two weeks until the Tx and Ok fleet are getting together in Fort Worth for our first regatta since Oklahoma has had it's own fleet!

#325 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

This has the makings of a baby seal slaughter

#326 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Please explain the meaning?

#327 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

The guys with the new boats will have a steep learning curve, thereby less likely to be at the top of the fleet during the regatta

#328 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Oh of course. Thankfully most of use have some serious time on other peoples VX's but it will still be a steep learning curve.

#329 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Will somebody put a story together after Fort Worth for Clean to publish please.

#330 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

I bet we can figure out someone to put something together!

#331 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Oh, I think the Okies will be right up front. Some pretty damn talented sailors joining the Vx fleet.

The guys with the new boats will have a steep learning curve, thereby less likely to be at the top of the fleet during the regatta

#332 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

If we don't win on the water we will do our best to win the party!

#333 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Oh, I think the Okies will be right up front. Some pretty damn talented sailors joining the Vx fleet.

Ultra, by now the keel must be ready and you got all your plans to attend...right???  no pressure.

#334 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

He has registered so I hope he plans to attend!

#335 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Bulb goes back on tomorrow, but not sure if it will be me or a young couple from wacko who will be on 106.

#336 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

Ultra any news on whether you or the other folks will be there? Looks like four out of our six OKC boats are coming down. Wind looks like it will be blowing!

#337 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Stuck in Colorado , trying to finish and catch a flight. Stay tuned

#338 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

Well Ultra you missed a great weekend. I will post more later and might try a do a write up for the front page. Absolute blast, few little issues here and there for the first time the boats hit the water but nothing big. Tight racing through the entire fleet of VX's with multiple lead changes. Frank Beling from OCBC took home first place.

#339 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:24 AM

1507428 1376571772629992 8751832259001456530 O

This is one of our first runs downwind on the new VX, hit 17.6 knots. If you don't have one of these things you need one.

#340 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Really bummed I missed it.   Got several calls from friends sailing on other boats asking me about the VX.   Sounds like you guys put on a show.     I'm heading down to New Orleans this Thursday to pick up my new boat and race with the SE fleet.  Look forward to seeing everyone at Rush Creek. 

#341 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

Sounds good, I plan to do both dinghyfest and Founders day regatta at Rush Creek. Sounds like a number of people from our club are planning to same thing. Should be a BLAST. Hoping for some good breeze.

#342 jimx

jimx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

Watched y'all this weekend while waiting to start. Awesome awesome boat. Psyched to see the Texoma fleet growing so quickly. Can't wait to beg a ride!

What sorts of speeds were y'all seeing on Sat off-wind?

#343 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

My high speed was 17.6 but I think the high for the fleet was 18.9 Knots. Downwind saturday speeds below 15 were rare. We all ended up in the water a time or two but we all recovered on our own and got back to racing. 

One of the coolest things about this boat is that the racing is incredibly dynamic. A wipe out doesn't take you out of the race, you can round the mark and catch the right puff and make up any ground you lost. One of our fleet member made the comment that you are never safe no matter how far ahead you are and it feels like the boats behind you are piranhas nipping at your stern the entire time. They can make a sudden run forward and catch up at any time, that makes the racing exciting no matter where you are in the fleet.

#344 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Looking like two more gatherings of the Oklahoma/Texas fleet coming up very soon. Both will be at Rush Creek, the first will be Dinghyfest  May 17-18 and the second will be Founder Day regatta May 24-25. Should be a great time as it seems Rush Creek always puts on a great regatta. 

#345 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

I'm going to be working in Dallas for a few weeks and will be available for Weds nights. Would love a ride on a VX (been considering getting one but need to try it out). Also have a lot of M24 experience. 195lbs. 

#346 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hit up Vela sailing who has posted on this thread multiple times, he lives in Dallas and would love to get you out on one!

#347 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:25 AM

I'm going to be working in Dallas for a few weeks and will be available for Weds nights. Would love a ride on a VX (been considering getting one but need to try it out). Also have a lot of M24 experience. 195lbs. 

Vox, 

As Vernon mentioned, I'll be glad to take you out on the VX. Give me a call 214-960-4434 or send me an email to rod@velasailingsupply.com and let's fine tune timing.

Cheers,

Rod

#348 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

How does VX One compare to K-6 speed wise? K-6 trying to catch some traction on Bay. VX One definitely promotes themselves much better. More expensive though. Melges 20 prob not going to catch on here cause so over-priced. Have to think one of these 2-3 man boats will have a shot with the direction new boat buyers are headed.

I've never sailed a VX so I'm not the best qualified to talk about that boat. I have sailed the Viper, K6, M20, M24, J70, a lot in the Bay. IMHO...one key thing to success in the Bay is stability. The K6 is very stable largely due to a completely different design philosophy. The stability is not form, but ballast. K6 is narrow and carries basically the same keel as a Viper. Both VX and Viper get much of their stability by simply being wide.

The Viper is probably the funnest boat I've sailed in the Bay....check that, funnest under 25'. The K6 comes in a VERY close second. Both are f'n ballistic in 25 knots true. We've demoed a lot of people in the Viper and have to admit we ended up selling a lot of Open 5.7's as a result. Folks just get freaked when the boat gets pinned after broaching. It can take a bit to get the rudder back in the piss in the breeze. I hear lots of tales about the VX flipping in big air (yes Vipers flip too). I've tried really, really hard to flip the K6. Can't do it. I regularly go stand on the gooseneck during a K6 demo and boat is stays up...I am not a small person. It's daunting when you flip a boat in one of the ship channels, it's blowing 30 and you are desperately trying to get it on it's feet so you can miss that 800 foot container ship bearing down on you at 15 knots.

The K6 also has gained traction as it is pretty easy to singlehand and VERY easy to sail with a complete noob due to the control tower in the middle of the boat. The price is a very compelling argument. $25k for a boat, full up...trailer, Norths, carbon mast, boom, prod.

The downside to the sportboats in SF Bay is the Wabbit Wule....must have 400 lbs of ballast to get a PHRF rating. The local YRA is now including a sportboat class in many of their races under Portsmouth Rule. Even the Melges 20 has to add lead pigs into the engine box to meet the YRA requirements for PHRF racing. FWIW...the Ultimate 20, Open 5.7, M24, J70 all have 400+ lb keels so you see them regularly at club races.

I have a friend in the UK that tells me the VX will have a tough time there as it can't get an IRC cert. because too little ballast. I guess the Viper has just enough. I know nothing about small boats in IRC so this is just hearsay.

I can say that target numbers in the 6-6.5 on the Viper exist too. 6.2 is the number going upwind, relatively flat water in 20+  6.5 is easily had, but you're losing height. It does give you the option of sailing long onto the starboard layline to keep clear of the fray...speed build is fast and predictable with just a bit of down.

I'll have the K6 at the new NMMA Boat show running this week, Jan 23-26, inside the pavillion at AT&T Ballpark. Swing by and I'll buy you a beer!

...drew

Is there any movement to have sport boats included in PHRF regattas in the bay area? I believe you were pursuing this at one time.

#349 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Heard you are doing the DD, right?

#350 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

It is up in the air. We were planning to join in if Bennett brought 6 boats, but now I hear from Burbank (VXone NW) that is cancelled and they are not coming either.  The DD RC said they made some changes for the VX one to participate and notified the fleet representative.  I'm still trying to get a final answer.  Do you know any details about Bennett plan?

regards

K-

#351 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

We finally have a decent amount of water here in Okahoma, Wednesday night we will have 5 of our six boats on the line! Should be a blast!

#352 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

I see that Mauri Pro has become an outlet for Rondar Boats! Cool, maybe we will finally see a Texas lineup on the water between the VX-One and K6 ;)

#353 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

It would be cool to see them on the line. I for one don't want to see any K6's in Texas because we have a growing VX fleet and any K6 owner could have a VX. 

If you are in the middle of the country around Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas shoot me a message, I will bring the VX to a regatta at your club and let some people go for rides. Lets make this THE ONE DESIGN FLEET to be in here in the central US.

#354 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

This is from the Lighthouse Regatta at Oklahoma City Boat Club this year. Fun time and good wind but not many boats due to low water lever until just two days before the event. 

Sorry my video editing skills are very poor and I like county music..... 

But that is my girlfriend/boat partner doing the trimming. She might kill me for putting that first gybe in there when she fell. Ended up 2nd in the regatta.  S

#355 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Oh and the jet of water in the video is the hole where our kelp cutter used to be. It has since been plugged.

#356 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

The driver may be a little sketchy, but the lovely crew/trimmer/tactician/boss is awesome! ;)

Kind of shows how nice the boat handles for a typical sized crew- nice open cockpit with all of that mess up forward that you see on other boats of this size. Nothing intimidating, just fun and more fun.

#357 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

You make some really good points there Snapper. The trimmer in the video weighs about 115 and can trim in most conditions. Occasionally I get told that she can't trim and that I need to drive to it. 

The boat isn't intimidating, in this video our high speed was 18.2 knots. Once you figure out a few things anyone can sail the boat. 

The driver may be a little sketchy, but the lovely crew/trimmer/tactician/boss is awesome! ;)

Kind of shows how nice the boat handles for a typical sized crew- nice open cockpit with all of that mess up forward that you see on other boats of this size. Nothing intimidating, just fun and more fun.

#358 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Woody and I are combining forces for in Newport.  Using my boat, he is buying new sails.   New set of intensity sails (main/jib/spinnaker) for 1500 bucks right now.   I LOVE this boat!  

Vernon - you are a cool dude but you won the lotto with that little beauty (not the boat)

#359 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Please name the boat UltraWoody for North Americans!

Snapper, every guy out there needs to be showing their wives/girlfriends/or both this video to show them that they can handle the spinnaker.

#360 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

ultrawoody

perfect

#361 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

My wife/crew is discombobulated over the video.  The kite hoist and douse loads are much higher on 143 than it looks on 161 and it is all my fault.  Tell me she can press 200# and is a mountain climber, and push up champion.  

I have siliconized North kite fabric and a McLubed scoop.  Wife has been working out with a trainer to build up her pulling power.  

Is there a secret here to be discovered before I am banished to the couch?

#362 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Do you have a small tag line on the top patch on the spin? It keeps it all from coming in and out at the same time and should make it easier.

Other than that, drive really deep at the hoist.

#363 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

It is up in the air. We were planning to join in if Bennett brought 6 boats, but now I hear from Burbank (VXone NW) that is cancelled and they are not coming either.  The DD RC said they made some changes for the VX one to participate and notified the fleet representative.  I'm still trying to get a final answer.  Do you know any details about Bennett plan?

regards

K-

Not sure yet.

NA's coming up in two weeks, so everybody is working towards that.

#364 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

My wife/crew is discombobulated over the video.  The kite hoist and douse loads are much higher on 143 than it looks on 161 and it is all my fault.  Tell me she can press 200# and is a mountain climber, and push up champion.  

I have siliconized North kite fabric and a McLubed scoop.  Wife has been working out with a trainer to build up her pulling power.  

Is there a secret here to be discovered before I am banished to the couch?

Do you have a stripped halyard/retrieving line?  this helps reducing friction.

Make sure both sheets are eased and if you are holding the working sheet during the hoist, don't pull until the kite is 3/4 of the way off the snuffer.

Drive low, wait for wife to confirmed the hoist is made, well on the hiking strap and then heat up and BOOM!!

Also, when the kite comes in a little tangled or with sheets crossed, it adds more friction. You will always hoist the spinnaker but it may be a little rough if your are pulling a twisted sail.

#365 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

This is from the Lighthouse Regatta at Oklahoma City Boat Club this year. Fun time and good wind but not many boats due to low water lever until just two days before the event. 

But that is my girlfriend/boat partner doing the trimming. She might kill me for putting that first gybe in there when she fell. Ended up 2nd in the regatta.  S

That is an AWESOME video. You may have just convinced my wife to let me buy a VX which means no Flying Dutchman and no Everglades Challenge for a few more years.

FB- Doug

#366 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

I think someone mentioned this earlier but make sure the kite - pole extension system is straight and sorted

Mine was difficult - Bennett himself used my boat for a regatta and even that big boy was whining about some friction. I had a twist between the spin line and tack. Looked fine on land or when the kite was down but obvious when it was up and everything was in tension.

I also find it true that you develop technique and muscle memory that will help be more efficient. Every person I've talked to over the several years of racing vipers and now the Vx have trouble at first shrimping. After a while it simply gets easier.

If your halyard is long enough tie a big loop in the retrieval patch location. 18 inches or so. Does the same as adding the lanyard.

#367 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

This is the perfect boat for racing with your wife. The concept has become contagious in Texas. One boat partnership is falling apart because both wife's now have the bug. (Means a new boat to the fleet). And I know of at least 4 couples who are going to buy specifically because the like what they see in this video.

Sure makes spending money on things like custom spinnakers more palatable.

Steam - get one and join us for the big gulf coast event in late September. Lethe south east fleet has some really great people in it, and is blowing up.

In fact 107 is up for charter at the nas in Newport for 1k - and includes a free place to crash!! Someone needs to jump on that.

That is an AWESOME video. You may have just convinced my wife to let me buy a VX which means no Flying Dutchman and no Everglades Challenge for a few more years.

FB- Doug

#368 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

I have attached a photo of the kite on port tack, retrieval is set for starboard.  Is this correct?

A is retrieval line around forestay

B is R line thru nipple

C is an stopper knot 18" below D

D is R line attached to patch

XV@ Whiskeytown kite

#369 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

My tangle was under deck.

Halyard should come out of the mast, through the pole extension purchase and back to the clean clean.

Mine looked fine until the pole got extended. That is when I found the halyard captured by the tack line that runs to the back.

I should have taken a picture. I've sailed two boats that had the same bugger. Can actually happen pretty easy if you don't bother to run a messenger like me when tearing the boat down to travel.

I think in terms of how your kite is rigged above deck, you have it right but I could be wrong.

Nice picture.

I have attached a photo of the kite on port tack, retrieval is set for starboard.  Is this correct?
B is R line thru nipple

#370 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

A good description and some good tips about rigging the chute here -

http://vxone.org/for...topic,59.0.html

#371 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

And I heard they were putting attachment points on both sides of the kite now. Some guys have the halyard going under the foot - through the hole and attaching on the inside of the sail on that gybe. Reason being it helps collect the foot and keeps it out of the water when dousing while on port gybe (windward douse)

B is R line thru nipple

#372 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Glad the video may have inspired some wives to join in. We bought the boat to sail together and it is more fun than we have ever had on the water.

On Wednesday we had five of our six boats out and stephanie and I took a first place.

Get a boat and come play!

#373 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

As the boat continues to spread I must say that the diversity in the fleet is something that is interesting. I think you will end up seeing alot of husband/wife teams in the class. Stephanie and I have found that we can be competitive with the local boats and Texas boats at our weight up to about 15-18 knots of wind. Over that we are at a disadvantage upwind but tend to make alot of it up downwind so we are not out of the race by any means.

Get your wife/girlfriend on a boat, they are fun and one of the least intimidating boats I have ever sailed. Even when you do turn the boat over it is slow and very controlled.

#374 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

Snapper, make sure that no one has a foot or butt on a sheet or the dousing line. It is very easy for the person dousing the put a foot on the bag in the cockpit so when the spinnaker makes it to their foot it hangs up.

We have two types of takedowns on our boat. One we call a pull around and when we are coming in to the mark on port I dive deep and using the lazy sheet begin to pull the kite to the windward side of the boat. Once it is partly around I turn back up slightly to pin it against the jib as steph douses it. It should never touch the water.

Take down #2 is a jibe takedown, basically if we are one starboard, jibe the boat and mainsail but stay deep without jibing the spinnaker. As the spin gets pinned against the jib then douse it. 

#375 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

Definitively a great boat for couples...look at what this crew did:

10434221_10101068454315924_2002250249228

10509723_10101068156787174_2556426166695

#376 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

10 second average of 27.5!! That is crazy! There should be a class trophy for the record holder, but there needs to be video!

#377 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

Where did they hide the rocket motor?

#378 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

I see that Mauri Pro has become an outlet for Rondar Boats! Cool, maybe we will finally see a Texas lineup on the water between the VX-One and K6 ;)

Hi Jerryd,

There 17 Vipers in Texas now and two more most likely to come before the year ends (to DCYC). Looking forward to a future Texas Sportboat Regatta.

Juan Mauri

#379 hendrixharlow

hendrixharlow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

It'll be cool seeing Vipers and VX's on the same course.  For a fleeting moment last weekend we were overlapped on a downwind in Newport, it was fun!

#380 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

The price of a new VX One has climbed pretty steeply.

I checked out the current Rollaway package. This is $29,500 before sails and trailer. Adding quantum sails and the combi road base trailer takes it to $35,137.

I'm not saying this price isn't justified by the hardware included but it is a lot more than when they were being built in Florida.

The good news is that those who bought early Florida boats are probably owning a boat that has gone up in value!

I see that US buyers can choose between a MacKay built boat and a Ovington built boat.....has anyone in the US taken delivery of a Mackay boat yet?

Mackay build awesome wicked fast boats. There is something about their I420s and I470s that is just magically stiffer and faster.

#381 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Maybe the K6 is the better deal?

#382 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

B is R line thru nipple

Is that a super duper goof hat or is something else going on?

#383 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

The price of a new VX One has climbed pretty steeply.

I checked out the current Rollaway package. This is $29,500 before sails and trailer. Adding quantum sails and the combi road base trailer takes it to $35,137.

I'm not saying this price isn't justified by the hardware included but it is a lot more than when they were being built in Florida.

The good news is that those who bought early Florida boats are probably owning a boat that has gone up in value!

I see that US buyers can choose between a MacKay built boat and a Ovington built boat.....has anyone in the US taken delivery of a Mackay boat yet?

Mackay build awesome wicked fast boats. There is something about their I420s and I470s that is just magically stiffer and faster.

FWIW, when I bought mine early last year (US built), the rollaway package with Intensity sails was $28,650 (launching dolly, not trailer.)  Brian's VX One Facebook page currently offers a North American's regatta special for the same package (including Intensity sails) at $30,995, or $2345 higher.   Total pricing for the other options on my boat seem to add up pretty close to the current pricing.

Since you are the OP,  also wondered if you've had a chance to sail a VX yet?  Would be great to hear your thoughts!

#384 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

B is R line thru nipple

Is that a super duper goof hat or is something else going on?

My wife got me that hat.  A number of sailors have had the opportunity to study it from behind.

#385 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

Just curious if anyone who has sailed the Flying Dutchman has a perspective on differences between it and the VX, besides the lack of Dutchman's weighted centerboard, self bailing cockpit, sexy factor of the VX, and boat age differences.  They seem close in length, both are on the high performance side, yet a new Dutchman will cost more.  

#386 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Six VXs preregistered for the Houston One Design Regatta. Expecting 8 total. 

#387 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Too bad those slackers to the east had to go and schedule a major regatta the same weekend... Might have been twenty from what I hear (kidding guys everyone knows rod is the one who impinged). You guys are going to have a great time...

#388 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Too bad those slackers to the east had to go and schedule a major regatta the same weekend... Might have been twenty from what I hear (kidding guys everyone knows rod is the one who impinged). You guys are going to have a great time...

B) We are working on calendars, so we'll have some Gulf / SW racing well organized very soon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users