• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#401 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

I have been knock down in San Diego.  However, in Seattle the boat felt stiffer.  Aussie tedrules describes his experience turtled down under.  I am suspecting that there is a cosmic bias to the boat balance where either the mast is attracted to the North star or the is keel is attracted to the southern cross.  This results in less stability as you move from northern to southern hemisphere.  I am taking my mast and keel to SLAC (Stanford linear accelerator center) for atomic particle measurements.  Their Dark Analyst Matter Numerical scientists can identify the presences of quarks, muons, peons, bosons, and klingons which produce gravitation attraction to supermassive black holes.  I will report back on the results.

#402 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

From what tedrules says, it takes 2 people to right the craft when upside down - but ideally, its rightable when upside down by 1 sailor.

One may not have the luxury of 2 guys onboard to right the boat, which is a concern in SF Bay conditions - might be better to have a heavier lead bulb option to purchase.  Sportboats on the SF Bay have this (Open 5.7 or K6 bulb weights). 

#403 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything besides sailing?

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

I don't know why you say that it should be rightable by one person. The boat is so wide that she is very stable upside down and unless you have waves that will help right her one person is never going to get her up.

I have righted my VX One off Sydney Heads in the ocean with a 2 man crew in 25 knots and on Sydney Harbour with a three person crew in 40 knots. If you want to sail a VX One in SF Bay I would recommend a three person crew of at least 480lbs. With more weight on board she is more managable, does not get pushed around by the waves so much. You will find there is a massive difference in the amount of control you have with 480lbs onboard compared to 440lbs.

One of the biggest differences between a VX and any other sportsboat is that when the breeze increases she becomes more stable like a skiff. With the wide transom, chines and minimal rocker it is like she is on rails. One thing you have to get use to is how little you have to steer to turn her.

#404 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

From what tedrules says, it takes 2 people to right the craft when upside down - but ideally, its rightable when upside down by 1 sailor.

One may not have the luxury of 2 guys onboard to right the boat, which is a concern in SF Bay conditions - might be better to have a heavier lead bulb option to purchase.  Sportboats on the SF Bay have this (Open 5.7 or K6 bulb weights). 

For single handling in SF Bay conditions, just tie a bleach bottle to the head of your main, kid style.

#405 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

Nice little video of some Vx racing down in Sarasota. This weekend is 1 of 3 winter events and I'll tell ya, not much any of us would changer about the venue.

22 boats for this first one. Should be > 30 for the next.

#406 oregami

oregami

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Great video. Sportsboats in this wind are the next best thing to dinghy sailing for us old guys.

What’s the ideal crew weight for a VX? 

#407 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

I think the ideal weight is around 400lbs to 440. But in our fleet in OKC we have a wide range of crew weights from 320 to 470 and all boats have been competitive. The lighter boats do well in light air and vice versa. I usually sail at about 320 and we have proven to be competitive in most conditions. Over 18 it starts to get tough for us to hang on.

#408 AussieMick

AussieMick

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:RC Gliders, RC Helicopters, Sailing

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

In Australia we are starting to think a bit more than that, we must get a bit more wind.  

My target now is about 220-230kg,  I used to sail @ 190kg but would get chewed up over 15 knots by the heavier crews and while light winds seem to avoid us, never got the advantage in the light stuff.

#409 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:43 AM

Sarasota had 8 races, avg wind was close to 20 with 25 gusting into the 30s on Sunday.

First place boat won no races at 510 lbs.
Second place boat won 5 of 8 races at 420 lbs
Third place boat won 3 of 8 races at 480 ish?

One boat that was probably less than 400 ahoukd have won the big breeze race. Flat quantum sails and mass rig tensions. They were blazing afar up wind.

Sweet spot is really wide. Lots if gears on this boat, and we did some unique things to hold the big fellas off uphill. Bit also depends on sea state I guess.. But we had some good chop.

#410 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

Video of four VX One from Sydney sailing 15 nautical miles down the coast fro Pittwater to Sydney Harbour.

Guest helmsman was Iain Murray sailing AUS 155 with the white kite.

It was an awesome trip!

#411 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,736 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

hot!

#412 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

Here is another fresh video also from Australia. This video shows some of the features of the VX One in great detail and was really nice put together by one of the early VX One'ers in the big island . Credits to F.K and family for the great clip.

#413 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

USA-110 has found a new home and is the first VX One heading to Kansas, watch it OK boys!  

#414 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

Look forward to seeing it in the fleet. Maybe sometime next year we can convince a few Oklahoma boats to travel to Lake Perry and meet the Kansas boat at his home lake. Perry is a fun place to sail and I have never been there when there wasn't heavy air.

Sounds like there might be another Dallas boat showing up also.

#415 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Happening now at the Biloxi Yacht Club:

10906173_771141459621077_118563884091791

10922671_771173256284564_431543001146854

#416 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:24 AM

Fleet #4 Schedule for this coming season. Lots of events planned, the two in bold are the primary events but all are expected to have a One Design fleet of VX ones.

New boats coming into the fleet and lots of very active current members of the fleet. Gonna be a fun year in this area for the VXs. If you want to have fun get in contact with one of the owners or Rod Favela to arrange getting a ride on the boat.

Attached Files

#417 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

Som of the action of today's racing at the Leg 2 of the Winter Series in Sarasota. 27 boats on the line:

https://www.facebook...27688253&type=3

#418 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

#419 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

Excellent summation of the boat's character and the character on the boat.  Good camera work from the photo boat too.

#420 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hello from sunny California where my wife and I went sailing for Valentine's day.

Vxalentines Day

#421 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:34 AM

25 boats registered for Bacardi Cup to race in a week time...clock is ticking...in the meantime, the Oklahoma City Boat Club has 7 VX's in it's premises together with 7 more between Houston and Dallas (yes, Ultra and Belton) by April. 

Kansas has also one boat, this adds up to 15 boats in Fleet #4.

Southern Circuit is ON.

#422 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:49 AM

Gonna be a good year for the VX in this region. Growing fast, I think we have added 5 boats in Fleet 4 since last season. Some of them pretty new to the racing scene while some are very experienced.

#423 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

Wish the VX had caught on in Annapolis instead of the 70...

#424 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,736 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

VX no.1 looked over at his pals in the fleet and said, "show of hands - who wants to sail in Annapolis?"

None went up.

#425 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

Wish the VX had caught on in Annapolis instead of the 70...

It isn't to late at all, just find the right group of guys to get together with and make a group purchase. Once a few are on the water more will swarm to them. I think the market for the VX and J70 are quite different, there is crossover but not a ton.

#426 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Buy a VX One, throw it in the Bay and start lapping the J/70's. Make sure they see a few sets and douses. You'll have a fleet in no time!

Not only that, there are no keel wedges on the VX One to modify! 

Just sayin'!  ;)

#427 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

For those in the SF bay area there will be a VX at Richmond YC's Sail a Small Boat Day on Sat. 28.

#428 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

...and this is how they look with the Raptor Deck on:

11025940_1007411209288458_96007390262007

#429 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

That looks awesome! I like our pink stripe down the middle but a grey deck might be nice. 

#430 Stachel

Stachel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

That, is rather gorgeous.

#431 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:18 PM

Three more of this beauties were unloaded yesterday at Houston Yacht Club yesterday. Fleet #4 keeps growing and there is one "Houstonian"  now. Big kudos to Brian and Hayden Bennett for their support.

Also want to thank Pat Gibson and the Houston Yacht Club for their kindness and support and let us use the facilities for a clean and easier operation.

11244917_10153283734876064_6531171119941

#432 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

Hoping to reach out to the other SF non-PHRFable boats...  

We are bringing 5 i550s down for Delta Ditch and would love to see the VX and K6 and Open570 make a showing as well.

#433 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:45 AM

Good luck at the ditch.  I have another event on 6/6.  I would like to stop by and play in Portland.  We will be passing by in late august.  Anything going on then?

#434 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

Good luck at the ditch.  I have another event on 6/6.  I would like to stop by and play in Portland.  We will be passing by in late august.  Anything going on then?

Cascade Locks would be a better venue... none of the Portland i550s really sail in Portland.  We built the boats (pre-VX days and we'd all be sailing VXs today if they were where they are now, back then... but I digress...) specifically to do a "traveling" circuit.  Season opener (tune-up) in April in Portland, then to Olympia, WA, Richmond, CA, Bellingham, WA, Eugene, OR, etc, etc, etc... you can figure out the rest.

We are going to do an event in mid-late August in Eugene, OR at Fern Ridge... its the Viper 640 West Coast Champs.  We should have 6+ i550s.  Bring a shitpile of VXs and we could have a great sporty event with all the 4ksb watching us go "ZOOM-ZOOM" all day!

We need... no, NEED more inter-fleet coordination.  Events that all the sub-20' fun boats can go and hang out and promote their own brand of fun.

#435 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Cascade Locks would be a better venue... none of the Portland i550s really sail in Portland.  We built the boats (pre-VX days and we'd all be sailing VXs today if they were where they are now, back then... but I digress...) specifically to do a "traveling" circuit.  Season opener (tune-up) in April in Portland, then to Olympia, WA, Richmond, CA, Bellingham, WA, Eugene, OR, etc, etc, etc... you can figure out the rest.

We are going to do an event in mid-late August in Eugene, OR at Fern Ridge... its the Viper 640 West Coast Champs.  We should have 6+ i550s.  Bring a shitpile of VXs and we could have a great sporty event with all the 4ksb watching us go "ZOOM-ZOOM" all day!

We need... no, NEED more inter-fleet coordination.  Events that all the sub-20' fun boats can go and hang out and promote their own brand of fun.

We will be at PITCH in Bellingham (Labor Day). Are the i550s coming?

How did the Ditch go?

#436 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:55 AM

We will be at PITCH in Bellingham (Labor Day). Are the i550s coming?

How did the Ditch go?

fucking carnage!!  153 boats started... 126 finished!!

We limped through... nice kite runs in big waves and wind... really more than the i550 was designed for though.  One i550 lost the top 6' of mast and one lost a keel... 2 of 3 finished... 0 of 2 Ultimate 20s finished so not that bad really!

Pitch eh... last time I was at pitch was in the Cheetah 30 and it blew 50 knots both days and there was NO racing!  

I'm not sure if the VX or i550 can handle a full on PITCH to be honest... if you've got 30+ and 4' waves at 4 seconds you are going to get clobbered in the bay... who knows... we might show up... it would be entertaining!!  I'd rather do Spud Cup or something on a lake that time of year, but I'll float it out to the gang and see what happens!

#437 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

We did PITCH last year and it was OK.

Sorry I missed the Ditch, (carnage really), maybe next year my schedule will be open.  Do you a published list of your 2015 circuit?  I would like to terrorized the locals too.

#438 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Here's a little snip from DDR 2015

https://youtu.be/DsEVD4Q1v7s

We are pretty informal about events... kind of get together over winter and come up with some events and then mix and match as the season goes on.  Definitely will hit all up about joining you at PITCH

#439 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:09 AM

25 knots, masthead kite (ASBA Regatta), 8 foot seas.

The bow didn't come up that much.

A short amusing clip!

#440 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Little quiet around here. How's this class doing?

#441 boo

boo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

VX1 midwinters are this weekend in Sarasota. 23 boats signed up so far.

#442 V. Green

V. Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Gonna be there! Can't wait!

#443 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:47 PM

Sunday's weather is going to be epic. I'll meet you in Miami and listen to the stories. Pix and video ASAP guys.

#444 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

Today's action shots here:

https://www.facebook.com/vxone/

#445 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:20 PM

25 boats registered - 23 racing.

Today's results here:

http://www.regattane...com/event/11508

#446 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

I stand corrected, 25 boats on the water today.

#447 From the Helm

From the Helm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

Racing in Sarasota today was great, 15 knots downwind and crossings are frenetic. Great boat and great competition.
Racing in Sarasota today was great, 15 knots downwind and crossings are frenetic. Great boat and great competition.

#448 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

Miami on the horizon. 20 boats so far:

http://yachtscoring....et.cfm?eID=1548

#449 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

Rod what happened in Miami?  Sailing 3 up is the new normal?

#450 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Rod what happened in Miami?  Sailing 3 up is the new normal?

Miami was very fun. Great event with the only thing I did not like was the fact that on Thursday (Day 1 of racing) the RC cancelled our racing as well as the Vipers because it was "too windy". Yet the J/70s were racing. As soon as the day was called, we all when sailing to practice.

The forecast was calling for winds in the upper 20s and low 30s so most teams decided to sail between 430 lbs to 530 lbs. The windy days were super fun.

#451 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

12806123_1157231124288469_14033633577280

#452 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

25 knots, masthead kite (ASBA Regatta), 8 foot seas.
The bow didn't come up that much.
A short amusing clip!

25 knots!!!! What drugs are you on!!!! There has never been even 20 knots at any of those regattas, stop with the talk it up!!! Youve done enough dammage with your self promoting shit!!!

#453 Bowie

Bowie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:22 AM

Way to go slapper, good to see you back and calling it as it is

#454 maxx

maxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Fair racing

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

and Elvis Presley was trimming, its all true.

#455 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

First day of racing in St. Thomas: 11 VX's ready for a great event.

12495054_1781722135382850_51522321583185

#456 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:31 AM

Looks like you had winds and waves.  Was everyone going w/3 again?

#457 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

Most of the teams are sailing 3-UP at 480 lbs on average, some even less. A couple of teams are sailing 2-UP and still hanging in there. It is played by ear based on the forecast.

12919641_1014552935255137_71241507302086

#458 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Nice shot. Who took the picture?

#459 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Nice shot. Who took the picture?

event photos are here

http://stthomasinter...m/press/photos/

#460 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:39 AM

Did the VXs not go out today at CRW?

#461 sailhmb

sailhmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:37 AM

I hear the advice of keeping the kite halyard under tension during a leeward douse.  How are crews doing this and pulling in the retrieval line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users