#1 swwind

swwind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

TNZ

There is no subsitute for time on the water.  Racing these machines downwind is more like a downhill skier picking the right line, except insted of changes in slope and terrian you have puffs' lulls, boundaries and current to deal with.  Its no lock, but I just don't see OR catching up to the boat handeling advantage of the Kiwis. 

Attached Files

#2 No Lotus

No Lotus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

It won't be fun.  ETNZ over Oracle 9-0.

#3 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Flintstones = 9; Facebook = SFA.

Among the many mistakes in this AC, perhaps the biggest was pissing-off long-term Cup enthusiasts and gambling on engaging with semi-literate, hyper-distracted and cognitively-challenged kids.

#4 Redsled

Redsled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

This AC is reminding me somewhat of the '95 one. US West Coast, somewhat new yacht class (2nd AC for IACC), TNZ with an innovative boat design far superior to any others on the water, their crew work firing on all cylinders, the yacht fully tuned early in the game and everyone else playing catchup. Right now it's looking like repeat.

#5 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

How is this thread different than the "Who is the Favorite, place your bets" thread that is on its 2nd page?

Search function is your friend.

WetHog

#6 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Like the lottery, I will win, for not placing a bet , yawn

#7 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

OR will win. They have the best designers on the planet, they have the best skipper in the galaxy so good he doesn't need the practice on the water, they have more time than Dr Who, they have more money than GoD, they have cracked the holy grail of rudder elevator designs, they are the only boats to hit 65mph according to the best skipper in the galaxy so good he doesn't need the practice on the water, and they are an American team defending in home waters they know so well they don't need to practise on them.

#8 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

anyone seen a days on the water graph 

that is closer to current?

#9 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

anyone seen a days on the water graph 

that is closer to current?

http://www.cupinfo.c...ing-days-01.php (though you'll have to do some addition for the last week or so)

#10 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

http://noticeboard.a...72-Period-3.pdf

#11 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

thanks

the 3 teams sailing, not so dissimilar

Luna Rossa Challenge               as at July 16, 2013            66 sailing days
ORACLE TEAM USA                  as at July 15, 2013             68 sailing days
Emirates Team New Zealand     as at 2 July 14, 2013          73 sailing days

#12 Auckland Boy

Auckland Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Sport

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

9 zip ETNZ. ETNZ have a cat OR have a dog to paraphrase Dennis Conner.

ETNZ remind me of TNZ in 1995:).

OR remind me of TNZ in 2003:(.

#13 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Among the many mistakes in this AC, perhaps the biggest was pissing-off long-term Cup enthusiasts and gambling on engaging with semi-literate, hyper-distracted and cognitively-challenged kids.

indeed

#14 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

indeed
Checked ETNZ's FaceBook page lately? They are all over that medium too, despite TaKuties FB hangups.

#15 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Women, Whiskey & Wine.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

I went to the launch of both ETNZ '72's (shit that took some working out) and I was gutted that they didn't call the second boat "Black Magic." Could you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would have followed that naming?!?!

Edit: to keep it on topic, the tractor is bringing it home.

#16 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

9 zip ETNZ. ETNZ have a cat OR have a dog to paraphrase Dennis Conner.

ETNZ remind me of TNZ in 1995:).

OR remind me of TNZ in 2003:(.

Any more inside scoops from your LR contacts?!?

#17 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

Not sure of the score as I think there will be some trading of race wins, but OR's extra time to tune before the match with two relatively equal boats will pay-off better than ETNZ's roll through the LV. ETNZ will not be pushed that hard after what I have seen so far. RC will make sure JS & BA race hard, but not so hard they damage a boat.

If a modified ETNZ B1 shows-up with a good crew to train hard, that could make some difference, but I am not sure they have that depth.

ETNZ have been fast first, but it is he who is fast last that will take the Cup............

#18 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

As i said in a previous thread.... faster will win.  Sailing will take 97% of the race time, and maneuvers the rest.  If you are slow in maneuvers, but fast sailing...  the 3% won't matter.  (I'm guessing on the percentages, but you get the point)

Furthermore, strategically, if you are faster, you get to pick your maneuvers, and their number.

So who is faster?  Don't know with certainty...  but OR seems more focused on that issue with their aero package, small foils, etc.

We will see, but my Champagne is on OR. (Actually, the Champagne will be on TC unless his name change was to get out of the bet ;)  )

TC and I will tell you in September from the GGYC bar... or a better bar nearby where they will let both of us in!

#19 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

I have a hunch... The Kiwis will win. Which ones? The ones with Emirates Team New Zealand.

Why?

Consistency, team work, culture and fucking hard work and determination.

The only spanner in the works...Dean Barker.

I don't wanna knock the guy but good god, I hope he does not choke.

#20 Strike3

Strike3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

Heart says ETNZ
Brain says OR....unfortunately....

#21 Desprit

Desprit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

Up until about a week ago I would have, and in fact did in one case, put money on OR winning. Their progress in the last two months has been very impressive. If anything they looked to be foiling better than ETNZ. 

Since the IJ decision a few factors are swinging me back the other way:

• OR will now have to take some steps backward and figure out how to control their boat with smaller stabilisers.
  • In the LR match ET was a lot better upwind than I expected.
  • GD said they are about 1 month behind on their development. This means there lots of tweaks to come. They are going to keep on getting better right to the end.
  • Right from the get go they, out of all the teams, seamed to have figured out this new class better than any other. 

So now my money is on ETNZ taking it out.

#22 christom

christom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

Heart and brain says ETNZ

Little tiny bit right down the back of the head near the neckline says OR

#23 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, AC,

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

OR will be formidable make no mistake about it. ETNZ get my vote out of patriotism but it won't be 9-0 that for sure

#24 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Results just in:

Gold:    John Navas

Silver:   Captain Kitchcart

Bronze: MSP

#25 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,198 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

the_flintstones-show.jpg

#26 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Absolutely fascinating.....its going to be.

With the different approaches to the variables.

May the best "package" win....with no breakages of animate, or inanimate kind.

ETNZ...by a hair.

#27 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

The only way we weill get a dramatic Am Cup I reckin would be if the boats sparkel in diff wind conditions, and there is a good variaty of wx.

IF ETNZ is slower upwind in the light as poeple seem to expect, but their manouvers are better (open questoin) they myght still be able to get to bottom mark first and sit on ORs face up the beats (narrow sidelines shd help?)

Short coarses wd also help, but a tall order - - Maybe they cant do it for the hole race but praps long enoyugh to damage ORs chances of finishing within time?

#28 ADCAT

ADCAT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Whirled Peas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

OR appears to roll through and accelerate out of their tacks faster than any of the challengers, I think upwind speed and cleaner tacks are going to trump marginally better gybing , LR is similar speed wise to ETNZ in a straight line off the wind, I assume that OR off wind  speed is similar, I have wondered if foiling speeds are finite due to cavitation and ventilation, from what I've seen there's not much in it.

So I'm guessing  a win for OR.

I should note that this from firsthand observation not video, I'm out on the water all day at least 5 days a week and I've had a pretty good look at what's out there.

For full disclosure let me add that I don't work for Oracle and in fact I'm not American, I'm a Brit' with family in NZ, currently living and working in SF.

#29 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

what LR vs ETNZ proved is that boatspeed doesnt matter that much it is VMG that makes all the difference.  anyway to say that LR where similar speed wasnt really actuate either, the average speeds, distance sailed, and top speeds where all significant.  

#30 waterboy42

waterboy42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Speed vs Control

Who has more of either is up for debate, but I feel OR has speed edge, ETNZ handling edge.

It is harder to tell comparative pointing ability, so slower over water isn't necessarily slower VMG.

Foiling to windward is another wildcard...

My heart says: ETNZ

My head says: Too close and too many unknowns to call

#31 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

etnz to win

if the races are in the afternoon

wide open if eb gets his way and racing is in morning drifters

because it's "safer"

#32 uflux

uflux

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Sailing...

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

ETNZ

Superior boat handling and VMG. These guys are all over it!!!

#33 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

If I had to bet it would be oracle. Aero in the upwind apparent will be important. Having said that etnz are starting to look good upwind too.
Surely even the most die hard etnz fan would be concerned about the level of talent on oracle and Artemis(if they were more organised).
After the beating Luna rossa took would u give them no change of progressing compared to a very slim chance Artemis have if in the unlikely chance there boat turned out to be a rocket ship(juank vo70 style)?
If somebody lays it over in the next month only perhaps oracle could recover? Surely someone will.

#34 Redsled

Redsled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have wondered if foiling speeds are finite due to cavitation and ventilation, from what I've seen there's not much in it.

Was wondering this too recently.  ETNZ hit 43kts in their first race in avg 16kt air, but didn't manage to exceed that in the race against LR last weekend, in avg 18kt air.  Not enough data points for sure, but makes me wonder the same, if there's a physical limit on foiling speed.

#35 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

65 knots currently if you are willing to go beyond the AC72 class.

And Paul Larsen indicated that if he could get the ventilated foil to work - the previously declared 'limits' would have been overcome and the potential would be there for much higher speeds.

#36 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

There are some very unsubstantiated rumours about how fast ETNZ boat was going when running home ahead of a cyclone in Auckland... a bit quicker than 43knots...

#37 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

ARTEMIS

I like blue and fairy tales.

Seriously, hope ETNZ (at least we might get an Oz team sailing if it comes back to Auckland) but suspect OR will have the edge on the complete speed package come race day.

#38 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

TEAM EMIRATS WINS

Because their fan boys have a higher post count.

#39 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

ETNZ. Their lawyers seem to be better than the OR lawyers...

#40 P Flados

P Flados

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

The winner will be 

All of us "sail fast with wings & foils" fanatics.  

I was disappointed when the the winged moth attempt fizzled and then was snuffed out by a vote.

However, with SR2, AC 72s and the C Class (getting even more interesting than ever before) we are getting a real show.

Unless the whole "wings + foils" fever chills out (which I doubt), we may yet see foil/wing improvements that have a chance to "trickle down" to a new class, a product for an existing class, or some options for the "lets see how this works" do-it-yourself types.

OK now back to the intended topic.

I became a fan of the OR design team shortly after they went from soft to hard for the Dogzilla rig.   However, being an OR fan does not mean that I not impressed by ETNZ.

My bet speed will win and win big. I would put the chance of a slightly slower boat winning due to better handling as very slim. 

The OR boat looks to have more of a speed focus.  

The ETNZ rig looks like it has the potential to be better, but OR have been at wings longer and probably have more geek power behind their wing.  Just no way to pick at this point.

Foils are the key.  Foils make the biggest improvement for the downwind legs, but I bet that both boats are going to be close enough on the downwind.  If one team really is distinctly faster on upwind VMG, victory is theirs as long as they screw up too much.  Both teams have been seen just ripping along, but without side by side runs or real polars, their is just no way to say who is fastest now.

Both teams also have serious potential for tweaking more top speed.  Big foiling winged cats are just too new to be anywhere near optimum.  However, development time is limited.

Dagger foils are the most important item, but are less practical to "tune".  OR has a slight potential advantage here with two boat testing ability.

Rudders stabilizers changes can only do so much, but are easier to play with.  OR has talked about reducing rudder stabilizer area for more speed.  I have seen no mention of a similar effort by ETNZ.  However, since they (and LR) did no go along with the proposed minimum area requirement, they have retained the ability to consider a similar option.  For each team, they probably have a pretty good understanding of the other teams apparent performance.  If they think they are ahead, they can stick with a conservative large area to preserve PP avoidance safety margin.  If they are ahead but close, they could consider working out the details for something faster but holding off to see if it is worth the risk.  If they think they are behind but close, the could plan a "just in time" implementation to try to turn the tables.  If they do not think a small speed increase would help, they could consider sticking with a safe and very reliable configuration and hope that the other guy messes up.   

Unlike most, I am not picking a winner but did take my best cut at the "why".  It will be the boat that has the better upwind VMG in September.  

#41 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Speed vs Control

Who has more of either is up for debate, but I feel OR has speed edge, ETNZ handling edge.

It is harder to tell comparative pointing ability, so slower over water isn't necessarily slower VMG.

That sums it up for me. Well, at least at this point in proceedings.

Some of the Oracle tearaways are breathtaking in their smoothness and acceleration.

Gross generalisation but the Defender's foils seem less fussy than the Tractor Twins.

Have yet to see Jimmy and Co demonstrate the control and manoeuvrability of the Kiwis.

#42 Coco200

Coco200

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Speed vs Control

Aye, me too. And despite the location, I'm not a kiwi.

Always admired the attitude of the kiwi team and the temerity - not to mention I'd like my tax dollars (cos I do live in NZ) to achieve something. 30 mil ain't to be sniffed at when you're rebuilding a city.

But it would be very premature to declare them winners at this stage. We haven't seen enough evidence of what OR can do - they look promising and they have time on their side... I am a little worried - but looking forward to finding out. Let's hope it's a good show.

#43 17mika

17mika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

LR: Because they're really, really, ridicolously good looking...

Seriously, TNZ, because of time in the water and foiling development time.

#44 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

There are some very unsubstantiated rumours about how fast ETNZ boat was going when running home ahead of a cyclone in Auckland... a bit quicker than 43knots...

Grant Dalton has been remarkibly fourthcoming with speed data throuhgout the developemnt

he said they saw no more than 30 knots wind on day 28 (it was the size of th waves that was a consern and that they didn't know what the top speed was becauss there was too much water washing over the beams to read the monotors

so semes to me any rumores likely to be worht what they cost to estamate

#45 Kia Ora

Kia Ora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Diving, and REALLY enjoying excellent wifi. Finally.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

It will come down to wind velocity.

Both TNZ and OR will take wins.

If it blows like snot? The Kiwis will take it.

If the wind is quiet, OR has it in the bag.

I would like TNZ to win as the AC needs to be brought back to earth - as it were.

The Facebook crap that RC put out is a complete sank.

We need real racing. Monohulls. Fully televised. Lots of action. 

Yes, they are a lot slower, but hell, the downwind sailing was so exciting.

If it does go back down under, there will be more openness and integrity.

It will be won by sailors and not technology, as it should be.

Problem is of course, the nationality rules will completely stuff the countries that will in the top 2 or 3 challengers.

It is quite apparent that the Kiwis have the edge on team organization and sailing, and they (hopefully) will not be allowed to compete for other teams.

Would also love to see Aus back in the game. Keep the cup down for a few years .... :)

Wellington and Perth?

#46 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Kiwis & Aussies will win, on some boat or another. USA are starting to cut it thin with time as they have never sailed a class complient AC34 cat= tsk tsk!

#47 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

the obvious nationality clause which would fix Evertyhing and be easely enforced:

NO KIWIS or OZZIES !!!!! (in ANY team)

#48 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Grant Dalton has been remarkibly fourthcoming with speed data throuhgout the developemnt

he said they saw no more than 30 knots wind on day 28 (it was the size of th waves that was a consern and that they didn't know what the top speed was becauss there was too much water washing over the beams to read the monotors

Day 28 in NZ was a record breaker for highest wind speed. Sea state conditions were not favourable for attaining boat speed records. South Bay is faster for straightline speeds than the race course.

#49 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

Speed vs Control

+1

#50 NZL3481

NZL3481

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Day 28 in NZ was a record breaker for highest wind speed. Sea state conditions were not favourable for attaining boat speed records. South Bay is faster for straightline speeds than the race course.

I think it was more like an average of 43 knots for something over 15 minutes. There are a couple of rumours they backed off a bit so Chase 1 could stay in touch with them in the seaway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users