98 replies to this topic

#1 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

The current boat...looks medium to heavy weather oriented (in AC34 terminology anyway). I reckon b1 will come back looking more like OR2...about 2/3 current hull volume....

Is this the only way to prep for 'Sep?

#2 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

When will they let Clean post his video?

#3 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

The current boat...looks medium to heavy weather oriented (in AC34 terminology anyway). I reckon b1 will come back looking more like OR2...about 2/3 current hull volume....

Is this the only way to prep for 'Sep?

ETNZ B2 looks to be designed to plane, meaning that it will sail more in "skimmer" mode upwind than full displacement mode.

Also, even though it has high freeboard, this only means higher windage. I am yet to see anything that conclusively shows that B2 has a higher wetted aread than OR (not saying it doesn't, just haven't seen it).

So, maybe B2 IS the Sep boat?

#4 MUNUMANA!!!

MUNUMANA!!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Wind power.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

I hope for their sake it is considerably quicker upwind. 20k average upwind speed is not going to cause OR any concerns and neither would it have done to AR B1.

I was really surprised how slow they are upwind (maximum peak 22k but generally 19 to 20k) - possibly sandbagging though.

OR are averaging 2-3k quicker than that and have the advantage that BA will out gun DB if it comes down to a proper boat race.

Aero and upwind speed will ultimately be the deciding factor in this cup.

Big mistake if TNZ think that this is in-the-bag already.

#5 kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Has anyone sourced any actual pictures of anyone doing any mods to B1? It's a nice idea and I hope ETNZ have some big developments to come but it's probably wishful thinking or deliberate misdirection to think B1 is likely to suddenly be THE boat - they (ETNZ) just don't have the resources to spend on what would be a third boat I'd think - hope I'm wrong

#6 NZL3481

NZL3481

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

I wouldn't bet on that Kiwi Bob.

#7 JNavas

JNavas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Has anyone sourced any actual pictures of anyone doing any mods to B1? It's a nice idea and I hope ETNZ have some big developments to come but it's probably wishful thinking or deliberate misdirection to think B1 is likely to suddenly be THE boat - they (ETNZ) just don't have the resources to spend on what would be a third boat I'd think - hope I'm wrong

When I toured ETNZ on 13 July, the boat 1 hulls were still sitting in shrink wrap.

#8 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I hope for their sake it is considerably quicker upwind. 20k average upwind speed is not going to cause OR any concerns and neither would it have done to AR B1.

I was really surprised how slow they are upwind (maximum peak 22k but generally 19 to 20k) - possibly sandbagging though.

OR are averaging 2-3k quicker than that and have the advantage that BA will out gun DB if it comes down to a proper boat race.

Purely made up numbers...

OR have never raced with live line or virtual so we simply have no idea what their average upwind speed is while achieving maximum VMG.

ETNZ are hitting 42 or 43 on a beam reach (and that is just what has been recorded during racing), so anything up to this is possible depending on the angle they want to sail, they could sail 5 degrees above a beam reach at 40+ or they could sail 60 degrees above a beam reach at 20-, the only thing that actually matters is the VMG.

#9 Mudz

Mudz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

There is actually a big bias towards downwind legs with the way the courses are. The first 2 legs are downwind then and upwind. ETNZ have probably set their boat up to be first to the bottom mark then to defend their lead on the beat. This is of coarse the complete opposite to what we see in traditional match racing where the first leg is a beat. 

Also it's not going to necessarily come down to out right straight line speed. It will be about who can get around the track the fastest. With the way ETNZ are able manoeuvre their boat it looks as thought they have a significant advantage over anything Ive seen from OR.

#10 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

There is actually a big bias towards downwind legs with the way the courses are. The first 2 legs are downwind then and upwind. ETNZ have probably set their boat up to be first to the bottom mark then to defend their lead on the beat. This is of coarse the complete opposite to what we see in traditional match racing where the first leg is a beat. 

Also it's not going to necessarily come down to out right straight line speed. It will be about who can get around the track the fastest. With the way ETNZ are able manoeuvre their boat it looks as thought they have a significant advantage over anything Ive seen from OR.

With respect you have absolutely no solid data on how fast OR is upwind let alone relative comparisons in the same conditions 

#11 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I thought OR were actually going 10-15knts faster upwind, they're just doing it in stealth mode so Richard Wang's speed radar can only register and record up to 23knts. They're certainly doing 65-mph downwind according to Jiminy-we're-so-good-we-don't-need-no-damned-time-on-the-fucking-water!!-Spithill.

#12 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

When I toured ETNZ on 13 July, the boat 1 hulls were still sitting in shrink wrap.

my feeling is that B1 is nuthin more than a spare

#13 amc

amc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

And one that they don't want too many people to see.

#14 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Does this thread refer to the latte machine ?

#15 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

I think so, at least its class compliant ;)

#16 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Don't tell IM he's bound to try and restrict it to short blacks or something purely in the interests of safety of course, regardless of the competitive advantage ETNZ is gaining from flat whites!

#17 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Given that SF conditions in Sept can be windy on occasions

(and light wether races get abandoned)

I think the kiwi fans should hope ETNZ concerntrate on optimizing one 'generalest' boat.

Sometimes its more impotent to have familarity than optimization.

Specailly when you dont have deep pockerts.

#18 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

^ My guess is that LR fell into a trap of their own making, with that awful light-airs performance.

Possibilities: Short sprit, so no Code 0? Bad weather forecasting? Incorrect rudder settings? Inability to tune the wing properly? Too-large boards?

#19 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

^ Well, so far Stinger LR certainly haven't impressed have they?

There isn't a lot they can do about a older generation boat, because they don't have the design expertise that ETNZ does.

However, by their own admission 60% of the gap between them and ETNZ was piss poor crew work.

#20 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

I think so, at least its class compliant ;)

And if SWS experiences to much of it, he gets the shakes and can't sleep at night any more...

#21 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

There isn't a lot they can do about a older generation boat, because they don't have the design expertise that ETNZ does.
However, by their own admission 60% of the gap between them and ETNZ was piss poor crew work.

'Admission' is one word for it.. :)

They seem to have problems way bigger than what miraculously-achieved 'crew work' might bring. It's more likely a shitty V1.0 boat and wing.

#22 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

They seem to have problems way bigger than what miraculously-achieved 'crew work' might bring. It's more likely a shitty V1.0 boat and wing.

*sigh*, you really couldn't resist huh?

So LR & ETNZ 1 are sister ships and are close cousins to ETNZ 2.

So, presumably you are suggesting that ETNZ 1 & 2 are both shitty?

Seriously Stinger, the quality of what comes out of your keyboard has really dropped recently.

#23 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

When will they let Clean post his video?

Wasn't supposed to say anything, but he left the lens cap on.

#24 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

^^ think of it as a testament to ETNZ's ability to use 36 designers, build a second boat, achieve a great program, compared to 6 designers on one prehistoric design.

#25 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Given that SF conditions in Sept can be windy on occasions

(and light wether races get abandoned)

I think the kiwi fans should hope ETNZ concerntrate on optimizing one 'generalest' boat.

Sometimes its more impotent to have familarity than optimization.

Specailly when you dont have deep pockerts.

Interesting choice of words...................... :P

#26 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

^^ think of it as a testament to ETNZ's ability to use 36 designers, build a second boat, achieve a great program, compared to 6 designers on one prehistoric design.

And I have been and advocate all along of the school of thought that LR could not possibly keep pace for ETNZ for that very reason.

However, you chose to use the phrase "shitty v1.0 boat" presumably because you have the shits over the IJ ruling.

#27 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

If any work was done on B1 hulls it would have been done before it left NZ I would think, there was quite a delay before it left, but who knows.

#28 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, AC,

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

I believe there is more to come yet from ETNZ. There is a mode they haven't displayed yet.

#29 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

NZ boating Facebook kind of just leaked it

#30 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

Very interesting. The VMG penalty between TWA 55 degrees and 45 degrees is approximately 1.23. So doing 35 knots at TWA 55 degrees is equivalent to doing 28.4 knots at TWA 45 degrees.

This AC just gets better and better!

#31 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Looks like your prayers have been answered!

#32 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

apparently, according to my sources, the top secret relaunch of B1 will include a major repainting and new colour scheme, Green and gold apparently with a giant boxing kangaroo on the wing. 

#33 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

Too much conjecture here. We don't know exactly how Oracle are shaping up in comparison to ETNZ other than it will be close, very close imo. The upwind factor remains potentially decisive if it leans with Oracle however ETNZ have shown the best boat handling. Speed aside the angles or VMG is hugely different between ETNZ and Luna Rossa and we can't compare Oracle at this point.

#34 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

Very interesting. The VMG penalty between TWA 55 degrees and 45 degrees is approximately 1.23. So doing 35 knots at TWA 55 degrees is equivalent to doing 28.4 knots at TWA 45 degrees.

Bingo !!!

#35 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

Too much conjecture here. We don't know exactly how Oracle are shaping up in comparison to ETNZ other than it will be close, very close imo. The upwind factor remains potentially decisive if it leans with Oracle however ETNZ have shown the best boat handling. Speed aside the angles or VMG is hugely different between ETNZ and Luna Rossa and we can't compare Oracle at this point.

I agree we can't compare ETNZ vs Oracle accurately yet and so either could win.

However, totally disagree that it will be anything resembling close.

History suggests that one of the teams will get its arse handed to it by the other.

#36 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

Bingo !!!

Not true. Lots more tacks at TWA55, very expenseive on a narrow course with sidelines

#37 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

There is a circle of trust around TNZ and I hope not to get killed for letting the taniwha out of the bag.

Boat 1.5 has a taniwha tank at the aft end of the starboat hull. It's a bit like a possum trap. But more comfortable. It is built to accommodate up to three taniwha (probably two female, one male). Ray Davies in charge of their care and feeding.

There is a little door there - opened via a button on the steering wheel.

TNZ taniwha are from the Waikato River (near Mercer) and are more mischievous than those from other regions. For example, East Coast taniwha were thought to be too docile.  

Word on (Halsey) St suggests these Waikato taniwha are not to be released until really needed.

News of this will attract the usual odium and disbelief.  US know-it-alls will say taniwha are all bullshit and have nothing to do with high peformance yacht-racing.

The only thing that matters are rudder elevators.

Yeah ... right!

#38 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

It seems there is conjecture that ETNZ maybe close to foiling upwind, or testing foiling versus non-foiling in terms of angles upwind. Interesting.

http://www.sail-worl...- -Video/112093

#39 saltysurprise

saltysurprise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

I think credit goes to John Navas (once again!) for unearthing this development. Foiling upwind - Is this the game changer!?

http://www.sail-worl...- -Video/112093

#40 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Bingo !!!
Not true. Lots more tacks at TWA55, very expenseive on a narrow course with sidelines

Could be a combination. The numbers still look good tho get on the right side of a shift then go to this mode will be a game changer no doubt

#41 Danno

Danno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

apparently, according to my sources, the top secret relaunch of B1 will include a major repainting and new colour scheme, Green and gold apparently with a giant boxing kangaroo on the wing. 

Really? I heard it was going to be silver and red and renamed "Really wild oats"......

#42 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Bingo !!!

The exact performance is complicated. The bottom mark is out in the tide and they have to go inshore in a flood tide. They want to go low and fast to get out of the tide and then it's beneficial to point higher.

#43 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

that could be an interesting tactic in getting out of current faster, in the same way a glider will speed up in sinking air and slow down in rising air (lift) the boats can adjust there AOA and therefore speed to get through the faster currents, and get into stronger winds faster.   in gliding they call it "speed to fly" and considerable gains can be made by minimising time in sink and optimising time in lift even when seemingly flying in a straight line. 

#44 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

that could be an interesting tactic in getting out of current faster, in the same way a glider will speed up in sinking air and slow down in rising air (lift) the boats can adjust there AOA and therefore speed to get through the faster currents, and get into stronger winds faster.   in gliding they call it "speed to fly" and considerable gains can be made by minimising time in sink and optimising time in lift even when seemingly flying in a straight line. 

good point, but once again much more limmited usefullnes if the glider was pinned insied abritary (small) box and lost lots of hieght making turns to stay in the box

#45 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

I don't see why this would be a secret weapon: presumably the other boats could do the same thing.

But it's great to see the rapid technological progress.

#46 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

the analogy is helpful, as turns in a glider cost efficiency also. but if you can turn in lift rather than sink it is usually worth it and yes there are lots of similar  restrictions in gliding such as the side of a mountain range, cloud, airspace restrictions that can dictate where you can and cant fly but in the same way a glider pilot has to make a decision to turn tighter (at a cost) to stay in lift or do larger turns with lesser lose from the turns in more variable lift.   

I think the current is well mapped at SF and the will know which sides of the course, where the relief is (behind island etc) and where the bad places to hang around are.

#47 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Seriously Stinger, the quality of what comes out of your keyboard has really dropped recently.

ET 1 is a great boat for the campaign.

What did they get for it, $30M ? They could saw it up tomorrow and be happy.

#48 tech

tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

In some of the upwind legs of the races, the lee hull was barely in the water. I was wondering if this would be developed, or that was the limit of physics. Looks like there might be a bit of wiggle room in there.

Where is Kiwing? Chicken dinners all around.

T

#49 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

I don't see why this would be a secret weapon: presumably the other boats could do the same thing.

The question still remains (in my mind at least) whether or not they can do it effectively in a race, so I will wait and see until (if) it pops up in racing.

However, with regards to other boats doing this. If ETNZ are only just doing it, then presumably its bloody difficult and the other teams may simply not have the time to get it sorted.

#50 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

I'm sure it must be accurate then. :)

#51 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

Well, its a far better boat than AR who paid how much for theirs?

And who knows, perhaps it is faster than the defender boat - the truth is we just don't know.

Anyway, I know you are just popping out from under your bridge so I am not going to pretend anything I say will make a difference, so for the second part of my post I would like to quote a nursery rhyme:

"Baa, baa, black sheep, Have you any wool? Yes, sir, yes, sir, Three bags full; One for the master, And one for the dame, And one for the little boy Who lives down the lane."  

Feel better now SWS? Awesome!

#52 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

I'm sure it must be accurate then. :)

Photoshopped Surely

#53 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:40 AM

And who knows, perhaps it is faster than the defender boat - the truth is we just don't know.

Anyway, I know you are just popping out from under your bridge so I am not going to pretend anything I say will make a difference, so for the second part of my post I would like to quote a nursery rhyme:

"Baa, baa, black sheep, Have you any wool? Yes, sir, yes, sir, Three bags full; One for the master, And one for the dame, And one for the little boy Who lives down the lane."  

Could be significantly faster - even faster than boat 2 but LR's performance sure doesn't indicate so or have you missed that minor detail ? I'm sure PB is most pleased with his investment. Maybe the next race they won't DNF.

Be realistic - it funded ~ 30% of the campaign costs for grumpy who has done nothing but bitch about campaign costs. 

#54 Maricat

Maricat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:AC since the 60's

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

If any work was done on B1 hulls it would have been done before it left NZ I would think, there was quite a delay before it left, but who knows.

Something of substance was done to B1 prior leaving Auckland - a temporary shelter was erected to work on it  while the rest of the base was being packed up and shipped out. Can't recall now how much later B1 arrived in SF.

At a minimum, maybe B1 has just been made to match B2 as a spare, given that B2's build was specifically to improve upwind performance

#55 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Could be significantly faster - even faster than boat 2 but LR's performance sure doesn't indicate so or have you missed that minor detail ? I'm sure PB is most pleased with his investment. Maybe the next race they won't DNF.

Be realistic - it funded ~ 30% of the campaign costs for grumpy who has done nothing but bitch about campaign costs. 

#56 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

Something of substance was done to B1 prior leaving Auckland - a temporary shelter was erected to work on it  while the rest of the base was being packed up and shipped out. Can't recall now how much later B1 arrived in SF.

At a minimum, maybe B1 has just been made to match B2 as a spare, given that B2's build was specifically to improve upwind performance

Remember that B1 was disassembled prior to B2 sailing, so they had all that time to mess with her.

Could be a totally different (3rd gen) boat or just an upgrade to more closely match B2.

#57 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

This must be a cultural thing coming out.

Attached Files

#58 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

i am no boat builder but i suspect that it would be very difficult to make substantial profile changes to B1 

1. without a complete rebuild,

2. without a weight penalty

3. without breaching the rules.? 

#59 JJD

JJD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Sailing boxing adventure

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

Doesn't work like that fireballs. This is something they would have been working up too for many many months. ETNZ doing it in no way infers they rest can. That logic sits firmly in a one design class.

#60 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

i am no boat builder but i suspect that it would be very difficult to make substantial profile changes to B1 

As the thread indicates it's going to be a full-on weapon.

Complete with a latte machine mounted at the base of the wing and wheatbix dispensers at every grinding station.

Guaranteed to be much faster than LR in all conditions. It's sure to be much faster than boat 2 which will be relegated to a training platform any day now.

#61 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

hmmm hmm hmm   blah baa baaa 

"Baa, baa, black sheep, Have you any wool? Yes, sir, yes, sir, Three bags full; One for the master, 

And one for the dame, And one for the little boy Who lives down the lane."

#62 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

Just a little reminder to those that may have forgotten the unwielding power MSP has :) ;

"THIS IS FIRST WARNING TO ALINGHI/UBS AND SPAIN--- SURRENDER THE AMERICA'S CUP NOW-- NO SURRENDER THEN MAHGUAH SHOW NO MERCY-- MAHGUAH SAY THIS FIRST-- LAST-- ONLY WARNING-- SURRENDER AMERICA'S CUP--MAHGUAH GIVE YOU ONLY 24 HOURS TO COMPLY."

#63 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

Just been speaking to RC

He said "sailing upwind is not new technology. People have been doing it for decades - look here in this book".

"We (OR) actually designed our boat to foil upwind as well!"   B)

#64 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

There is a circle of trust around TNZ and I hope not to get killed for letting the taniwha out of the bag.

Boat 1.5 has a taniwha tank at the aft end of the starboat hull. It's a bit like a possum trap. But more comfortable. It is built to accommodate up to three taniwha (probably two female, one male). Ray Davies in charge of their care and feeding.

TNZ taniwha are from the Waikato River (near Mercer) and are more mischievous than those from other regions. For example, East Coast taniwha were thought to be too docile.  

Word on (Halsey) St suggests these Waikato taniwha are not to be released until really needed.

News of this will attract the usual odium and disbelief.  US know-it-alls will say taniwha are all bullshit and have nothing to do with high peformance yacht-racing.

Yeah ... right!

Nothing on babysitting, healthcare, China, the US military, or how our educational system is failing ?

You're slipping in your old age old boy :)

#65 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

Something a little puzzling to me here. I have seen numerous polar diagrams for the Tornado and they typically indicate that it's best VMG is at 55degrees. These AC 72's are way faster  and more refined than a Tornado so there seems a good chance that the wider, faster angle will likely give the faster VMG. Obviously  conjecture is NOT the answer but I have no doubt that the crews have a very close handle on the VMG speeds in that narrow 10 degree band to windward, and it seems that the critical decision on which the race results depend may well be just what IS the best angle for best VMG..

#66 xfire

xfire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Interests:Etchells racing<br>Jr. sailing programs<br>

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

The bias is upwind, if you view it terms of time spent upwind and downwind. And, that is the correct way if you want to evaluate the needed ratios of upwind performance need to offset downwind performance differentials.

#67 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

Just a little reminder to those that may have forgotten the unwielding power MSP has :) ;

"THIS IS FIRST WARNING TO ALINGHI/UBS AND SPAIN--- SURRENDER THE AMERICA'S CUP NOW-- NO SURRENDER THEN MAHGUAH SHOW NO MERCY-- MAHGUAH SAY THIS FIRST-- LAST-- ONLY WARNING-- SURRENDER AMERICA'S CUP--MAHGUAH GIVE YOU ONLY 24 HOURS TO COMPLY."

thanks sw soiler --but your not keeping up as usual -ernie  bertarelli has/is still in us federal court 

so just be patient and pay attention for a change -

and as I posted here I sent numerous exhibits to SEC/  FEDS and DOJ attorneys prosecuting their cases against UBS and bertarelli 

the ac issues still are pending including ggyc involvement with evilsin - oh and it doesnt look good for evlsin either -

oracle involved with providing  data bases etc other misc illegal services -just like how he is running ggyc  - :lol:

ubs rulings are ongoing - so read and weep its only a 160 pages - 

United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit 

Case: 12-4355 Document: 79 Page: 18 02/08/2013 842233 160

STATEMENT OF THE CASE

Nature of the Case

This is a federal securities class action arising primarily out of material 
misstatements and omissions concerning UBS’s (1) undisclosed $100 billion 
exposure to high-risk subprime
and Alt-A mortgage backed assets (the “CDO/RMBS Fraud”), and (2) intentional violation of U.S. tax laws (the “Tax 
Scheme”).

The Complaint asserts fraud claims under the Exchange Act related to,inter alia, the CDO/RMBS Fraud and the Tax Scheme on behalf of persons and entities who purchased or otherwise acquired registered securities issued by UBS on 
worldwide exchanges,
including the NYSE, during the period from August 13, 
2003, to February 23, 2009 (the “Class Period”). The Complaint also asserts strict 
liability/negligence claims under the Securities Act in connection with the 
Offering.

Course of Proceedings and Disposition Below
Appellants filed the Complaint on May 8, 2009. At the direction of the 
district court, certain Appellees2 moved to dismiss Appellants’ Exchange Act 
2 Appellees include UBS, former UBS officers and executives, including Peter A. 
Wuffli, Clive Standish, David S. Martin, Marcel Opsel, Marcel Rohner, Marco 
Suter, Walter Stuerzinger, Michael Hutchins, James Stehli, Ramesh Singh, Huw 
Jenkins and John Costas, current and former members of UBS’s board of directors 
including Ernesto Bertarelli,

http://amlawdaily.ty...ntiffsbrief.pdf

#68 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

thanks sw soiler --b

24 hours eh ?

How did that work out for you - it was what, four years ago ?

#69 idontwan2know

idontwan2know

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

B2 is the boat for ETNZ.

Most dramatic update they could pull out of their hat would be new foils. They still haven't built a 3rd wing, but if they were building one everyone would know about it.

Upwind foiling is certainly possible...the issue is making it work in such a way that it yields the greatest VMG. Rest assured all teams are working on it.

#70 ADCAT

ADCAT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Whirled Peas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

I think B1 is still in wraps at the end of the pier, I saw what looked like the hulls when I sailed past there the other day.

#71 ADCAT

ADCAT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Whirled Peas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

The bias is upwind, if you view it terms of time spent upwind and downwind. And, that is the correct way if you want to evaluate the needed ratios of upwind performance need to offset downwind performance differentials.

If the last race is any indication then it is upwind speed and tactics that will win this, just like any yacht race really. As soon as ETNZ turned the corner their lead increased tenfold, they were faster through the tacks than LR and had the edge in upwind speed.

#72 overbend

overbend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

Yeah ... right!

Yeah thats all good TK but as any local knows taniwhas are easily scared away buy large numbers, usually on a cheque with a $ in front of them - you probably remember that waikato taniwha in the way of the new expressway that was scared out of the path of the impending expressway by a big cheque, handled of course by the local iwi on it's behalf.

The problem here is Larry has lots of pages in his cheque book and no limits to the amount of 00000's on the end of the number, those taniwhas are just goiong to be heading to the bank rather than going sailing :D

#73 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

We had a big discussion a few months ago around foiling up wind (FUW). I thought we had pretty much discounted it, apart from a bit at mark rounding.

Why is it now back on the table? and it appears too good to be true - 35 knots is stuff of dreams!

#74 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

I might open up a passing lane to a boat being covered upwind.

In the tradition of "flybe" I'm going to name the manoeuvre the "reach around".

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#75 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!

#76 olboss

olboss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

+100

#77 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Really? I heard it was going to be silver and red and renamed "Really wild oats"......

I heard Gotta Love it 72

#78 uflux

uflux

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Sailing...

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I heard Gotta Love it 72

Strange? My sources have claimed that B1 was going to be rebuilt in fiberglass and painted white, until someone asked TNZ why would you want to make a yacht out of fiberglass unless you wanted to cheat....I think the guys name was Dennis? 

#79 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I heard Gotta Love it 72

Strange? My sources have claimed that B1 was going to be rebuilt in fiberglass and painted white, until someone asked TNZ why would you want to make a yacht out of fiberglass unless you wanted to cheat....I think the guys name was Dennis? 

I heard they are gonna paint the hulls white and rename it TwoAustralia. Better tell the salvage companies... 

#80 NZL3481

NZL3481

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

We had a big discussion a few months ago around foiling up wind (FUW). I thought we had pretty much discounted it, apart from a bit at mark rounding.

Why is it now back on the table? and it appears too good to be true - 35 knots is stuff of dreams!

I think Foiling Upwind Creates King (FUCK) sort of sums it up.

He who FUCKs the most will get the cup.

Also the boat that Foils Around Race Track (FART) the most will most likely get the same result.

#81 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Yeah ... right!

Fuk you're idiot <_<

#82 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Just been speaking to RC

He said "sailing upwind is not new technology. People have been doing it for decades - look here in this book".

"We (OR) actually designed our boat to foil upwind as well!"   B)

We had a discussion about OR appearing to foil upwind long before ETNZ started showing they could do it to. Maybe this is the one area where OR are ahead. If I were an ETNZ fanboy, this would not really bother me as the keys to this cup are going to be the start and the first two legs, all of which are downwind.

#83 k-f-u

k-f-u

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Interesting comment from Dalts on changes done to B1 and what might be in store for B2:

"If we'd made the changes we have made to the first boat, it would be a much quicker boat upwind as well."

"So we are so far behind our own schedule - I reckon we are close to a month behind - that we need to catch up and if we can qualify for the final, that will help give us the time to do so."

from the ETNZ thread... where's the quote actually taken from, Indio?

#84 baygrass

baygrass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

The short answer to the original questions is: ETNZ has already produced the "weapon". Now they are just adjusting the sights and improving their accuracy.

#85 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

The short answer to the original questions is: ETNZ has already produced the "weapon". Now they are just adjusting the sights and improving their accuracy.

This.

#86 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Not necessarily.  The foils and wings that ETNZ would put on Boat 1, now, would likely be very dissimilar to those which LR are sporting.  So, I think the point regarding LR is more about the entire package, and that package is likely MUCH different than a current version of ETNZ1 would be if it were to splash.

#87 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Interesting comment from Dalts on changes done to B1 and what might be in store for B2:

"If we'd made the changes we have made to the first boat, it would be a much quicker boat upwind as well."

"So we are so far behind our own schedule - I reckon we are close to a month behind - that we need to catch up and if we can qualify for the final, that will help give us the time to do so."

from the ETNZ thread... where's the quote actually taken from, Indio?

From this article

#88 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

buffalo girl manoevre?

#89 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Yeah ... right!

Fuk you're idiot <_<

Yeah, everyone knows that the Waikato Taniwha were all shot when their guardians asked for appeasement money ahead of a Motorsport park being built in the region...

#90 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

I heard Gotta Love it 72

I heard they are gonna paint the hulls white and rename it TwoAustralia. Better tell the salvage companies... 

Must be to allow under arm sailing. Better for overtaking manouvres apparently

#91 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yeah, everyone knows that the Waikato Taniwha were all shot when their guardians asked for appeasement money ahead of a Motorsport park being built in the region...

There are plenty of taniwha in Waikato. And also in Kahungunu and Tai Tokerau. .

Motorsport ones were a very small minority.

#92 Pandora's Box Rule

Pandora's Box Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:SOG >25.4 knots, 1025 hPa, 15-20 SE, 80 ft of Kevlar.Have you met Pandora?.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

There are plenty of taniwha in Waikato. And also in Kahungunu and Tai Tokerau. .

Motorsport ones were a very small minority.

And in an incredibly quick advance in evolution these mythical beasts that for centuries would take women, children and offerings of the first seasons kumara now take Amex instead.

#93 Glenn

Glenn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

Yeah ... right!

Te Kooti! kei te pehea koe e hoa? he aha to korero, korero Maori koe?

He tutae nui tenei, pokotiwha hoki ratou

Upokoai

#94 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

From Boating NZ facebook

https://www.youtube....h?v=hRPnJzS5ic8

#95 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

Te Kooti! kei te pehea koe e hoa? he aha to korero, korero Maori koe?

He tutae nui tenei, pokotiwha hoki ratou

Upokoai

Kia ora e hoa!

Did you see taniwha being loaded during practices?

I've heard they are not charmed by being stuffed into a void space at the back of hull.

And are particularly nervous during foiling episodes.

What puzzles me is .... how did they get them through US customs and immigration?

P.S. Where I come from the speciality is tutaekuri.  Good for a DOG match.

#96 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

And in an incredibly quick advance in evolution these mythical beasts that for centuries would take women, children and offerings of kumara now take Amex instead.

Maybe so ... but they ain't part of no Facebook-generation.

#97 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Yeah ... right!

Fuk you're idiot <_<

:)

#98 rastus

rastus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

Taniwha Ifucking love it o

#99 Kia Ora

Kia Ora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Currently - racing in the classics.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

No jib is the weapon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users