49 replies to this topic

#1 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

The skipper of a sailboat that struck a whale off the coast of Nova Scotia says the vessel hit the behemoth with such force that the crew thought they had run aground.

Skipper James Muldoon and his crew were taking part in the Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race, a biennial, 670-kilometre race from Massachusetts to Halifax.

Muldoon said his 24-metre yacht, Donnybrook, was cruising at 12 knots in the middle of the night. The impact stopped the yacht dead in the water.

“I was tossed out of bed, and everybody woke up, believe me,” he said.

The crew immediately started bringing out life rafts, thinking they had run aground.

“They noted the position, they got ready to get on the radio in case we had a need. We had everybody pulling up the floorboards to see if we were taking on water,” said Muldoon.

“About the time that we were trying to figure out what happened, a whale's tail, or fin, came up next to the boat and put its tail up in the air and flapped it a couple times and swam off," he said.

Muldoon said it was too dark to have spotted or avoided the whale.

He said it was a large whale, but the crew couldn't identify the species.

The collision delayed the boat for half an hour.

Muldoon says divers later found blubber on the sailboat’s cracked keel.

The boat is now in Rhode Island for repairs.

The Donnybrook finished the Marblehead race, taking second place.

It's not clear what happened to the whale.

The Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race began in 1905 and runs every two years. More that 100 yachts participate in the 670-kilometre race across five different divisions that runs from Marblehead harbour, Mass., northeast to Halifax.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...yacht-race.html

I'm frankly surprised that more people weren't seriously hurt.

#2 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

They sure seem to have a knack for hitting stuff.

#3 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Well, in this instance, we can't really determine who hit who. ;)

#4 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Unbelievable.  I think at this point I'd be seriously considering changing the name to something luckier....Shamrock or something.  

Anything. 

#5 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

So? Whales are out there, they're hard and they sleep below the surface. 

#6 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

A buddy was on watch and said he got tossed over the pedestal and almost went down the companionway...12-0 instantly when you don't expect it can be pretty freakin' rough!

#7 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Dude, read my mind.

#8 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Am I the only one who hears nails on a chalkboard upon reading the phrase, "The Donnybrook"?

#9 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

and sometimes stuff hits (the) Donnybrook...

#10 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Donnybroke?  What are the chances?

They seem to be entered in the EYC to Solomons race this friday?  Are they still stuck in RI or did they make it back already?

#11 vtsail

vtsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

The skipper of a sailboat that struck a whale off the coast of Nova Scotia says the vessel hit the behemoth with such force that the crew thought they had run aground.....AGAIN

Fixed

#12 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Dude, read my mind.

Ditto.  SMDH

#13 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yup.  So are rocks.  They don't sleep, or move much, but somehow the DB finds them.

#14 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Sometimes stuff hits the boat. Like the fingers of crew. 

Search the forums for the boat name and  owner. Entertaining stuff 

I sailed on his (previous) boat.

Once.

That was enough.

#15 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

#16 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

The skipper and crew should be committed to racing on Lake Garda in Optis exclusively for their act of violence against whales.

#17 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

We took some of their crew home once and after hearing what the race was like on our ancient 6KSB, they said it sounded WAY more fun than they had.

Also beat them every now and then ages ago racing in A-0 on corrected time. They used to finish - wind dies - they win or finish - wind does not die - someone corrects over them.;

Once.

That was enough.

#18 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

We were doing Southern Bay Race Week when we heard the call about this collision.  Going from 12 to 0 seems to be a recurring theme.

#19 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yup.  So are rocks.  They don't sleep, or move much, but somehow the DB finds them.

:lol:

He mentioned that incident on the radio this morning.

#20 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I raced on Donnybrook for the first time in 8 years. I actually enjoyed it. We had a pretty good crew and the boat is pretty decent. Much more fun to sail than the old bus. Its a shame we didn't have a Code Zero as that would have given us a pretty decent chance of being at the top of the fleet. (Reason being as MAgnitude the boat sailed with masthead genoas that kill your IRC rating. We couldn't get a zero in time)

Definitley confusing thinking you have run aground in the middle of the ocean. I thought it might have been a container. I think the whale is pretty fucked up. I expect dead by now. I expect to sea the Steve Irwin protesting the start of the next race!

I actually think it was my week to be the Jonah, my ride back from Halifax was pretty tough as well.

#21 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

If that's the case Hustler should have sunk  years ago  :ph34r:

#22 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

We took some of their crew home once and after hearing what the race was like on our ancient 6KSB, they said it sounded WAY more fun than they had.

Also beat them every now and then ages ago racing in A-0 on corrected time. They used to finish - wind dies - they win or finish - wind does not die - someone corrects over them.;

Once.

That was enough.

Did the Annapolis to Oxford race years ago on the old SC 70 Muldoon had.   His behavior was appalling from the moment we left the dock until well after we'd tied up in Oxford.  I was amazed.

Have to wonder if his various boat troubles have a little to do with the mountain of bad karma he's generated over the years....

Check the following thread-  the Muldoon stories start on page 2-  

http://forums.sailin...=muldoon&page=2

I chimed in about the race I mentioned above.....   Others had some interesting things to say...

Worst rage-aholic I ever sailed with until last summer when I ended up doing mainsheet on a big gaff-rigger in New England.  But I digress....

Serge

#23 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

I raced on Donnybrook for the first time in 8 years. I actually enjoyed it. We had a pretty good crew and the boat is pretty decent. Much more fun to sail than the old bus. Its a shame we didn't have a Code Zero as that would have given us a pretty decent chance of being at the top of the fleet. (Reason being as MAgnitude the boat sailed with masthead genoas that kill your IRC rating. We couldn't get a zero in time)

Definitley confusing thinking you have run aground in the middle of the ocean. I thought it might have been a container. I think the whale is pretty fucked up. I expect dead by now. I expect to sea the Steve Irwin protesting the start of the next race!

I actually think it was my week to be the Jonah, my ride back from Halifax was pretty tough as well.

D'aww I love you too babe

FWIW Serge, there wasn't a single hint of the kind of abuse you're talking about during this latest race. Even in the high stress moments following the whale impact and an unrelated kite blowout. Mr. Muldoon was a pleasure to sail with. 

#24 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

you better hope you don't see Steve Irwin at the start of the next race! that race would be a short sprint across the river Styx.

#25 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

lol.

#26 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,193 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

pft. 

#27 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

That didn't take long: "“I’m really looking forward to this race,” said Muldoon, who set a course record for the Race to Oxford last fall aboard the current Donnybrook. “Hopefully, we won’t run in any piles of rocks like last time.” This was for the Annapolis-to-Newport Race in June... http://www.capitalga...effb777497.html Sailed on the old boat quite a few times when we lived on the Bay--managed not to get yelled at even.

#28 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,856 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

D'aww I love you too babe

FWIW Serge, there wasn't a single hint of the kind of abuse you're talking about during this latest race. Even in the high stress moments following the whale impact and an unrelated kite blowout. Mr. Muldoon was a pleasure to sail with. 
Santorum warning in effect!

You could find a better ass to kiss !
Sounds like Wes has got a bit of thing for Soley.....let's hope Soley's ok with this.

#29 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

No, no I am not... any way, Muldoon was just fine, I think he has mellowed in age...now he just says stuff almost as a parody of his former self.

#30 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,856 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

The skipper of a sailboat that struck a whale off the coast of Nova Scotia says the vessel hit the behemoth with such force that the crew thought they had run aground.

Skipper James Muldoon and his crew were taking part in the Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race, a biennial, 670-kilometre race from Massachusetts to Halifax.

Muldoon said his 24-metre yacht, Donnybrook, was cruising at 12 knots in the middle of the night. The impact stopped the yacht dead in the water.

“I was tossed out of bed, and everybody woke up, believe me,” he said.

The crew immediately started bringing out life rafts, thinking they had run aground.

“They noted the position, they got ready to get on the radio in case we had a need. We had everybody pulling up the floorboards to see if we were taking on water,” said Muldoon.

“About the time that we were trying to figure out what happened, a whale's tail, or fin, came up next to the boat and put its tail up in the air and flapped it a couple times and swam off," he said.

Muldoon said it was too dark to have spotted or avoided the whale.

He said it was a large whale, but the crew couldn't identify the species.

The collision delayed the boat for half an hour.

Muldoon says divers later found blubber on the sailboat’s cracked keel.

The boat is now in Rhode Island for repairs.

The Donnybrook finished the Marblehead race, taking second place.

It's not clear what happened to the whale.

The Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race began in 1905 and runs every two years. More that 100 yachts participate in the 670-kilometre race across five different divisions that runs from Marblehead harbour, Mass., northeast to Halifax.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...yacht-race.html

I'm frankly surprised that more people weren't seriously hurt.

I'm surprised you haven't hooked Gator with this one. Maybe mummy cut of his internet.

#31 I Sail The Black Boat

I Sail The Black Boat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Technology, Instruction, Outdoors

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Article is about 50% wrong, but boy yeah it was rude a wake up call! I never thought we ran aground, but fishing gear, container, debris, another boat, all crossed mind.  Did more checking for damage then reaching for liferafts... I still eye this new fangled canting keel with suspision... 

The fact that it was a whale cushened the blow so to speak (bad for the whale though) knocked us a round a bit for sure.

Second Soley's comment Muldoon kind of pokes fun of his past self.

And damn sure we could use a change of luck! We held a propper renaming cerimoney last season to try and exercise any demons from the boat, mixed results so far...

No Solomons this weekend for the black boat, getting looked at in Newport before we committ to the rest of the season down south hoping for Gov Cup though.

#32 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Can you clarify what is incorrect on the article?

#33 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

I still remember someone going around the harbor in Oxford after the race in a whaler with a megaphone repeating "Muldoon likes sheep and little boys" :lol:

#34 I Sail The Black Boat

I Sail The Black Boat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

If you wish,

Don't remember getting liferafts out (they're stored on deck)

Crossed the line second (whish we corrected to second)

Someone may have thought we ran aground I guess (yeahl I know "wouldn't be the first time" ) I knew we hit an object.

But we were in the race and we did hit a whale!

#35 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

I didn't think Wes was so little?

#36 BEZ

BEZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Sound and sail...

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Muldoon sails his boat with no pros (100% volunteers) so it can be a "foundation boat" aka tax shelter, amirite??

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,333 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I understand he does it on principle.

#38 BEZ

BEZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

hmmmm...I've heard it explained there "can't be pros onboard for tax reasons". I guess the IRS knows the truth...

#39 BEZ

BEZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

What exactly happened last Newport to Bermuda when they were taking on water+abandoned the race? errr something like that

#40 I Sail The Black Boat

I Sail The Black Boat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

2 things

Bobstay on the sprit worked loose lashed couldn't retention it.
The nail in the coffin was the daggerboard supports were not put in right when it was installed proper and having that come loose in the trunk would have been a nightmare so we bailed out

#41 smcmsailor

smcmsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

I sailed 2006 Gov Cup with him and tried to sail the 2006 Vineyard Race with him. He was a royal prick during the Gov Cup.

When we drove (in a coupe) to Stamford. Imagine three guys and gear in some toyota coupe. He called and asked if we could pick up an extra mainsail because it was the only sail they forgot... Like any car besides a truck would fit a 73' mainsail. 

When we were on the way out to the start of the race. Jim screamed for a full hoist (despite advice to the contrary) on the mainsail, which was, fyi, the year there was some tropical storm or some shit like that. Ripped that fucker before we even got out of the harbor. When we got back in to the harbor he had his paid crew guy make him his dinner and pretty much told every to go fu*k themselves.

Karma... for a second time. Although I am glad he has apparently mellowed out. 

#42 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Muldoon sails his boat with no pros (100% volunteers) so it can be a "foundation boat" aka tax shelter, amirite??

That's rich...  I sailed on a boat whose owner, after being told by his skipper that his choice of boat to compete in and he could only have one 'pro' on board, and he had to helm and the rest of the crew had to be 'amateurs'... his comment?  "Then I want the best amateurs that money can buy!!!"

#43 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,333 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

There are as many stories of Muldoon as there are days in a year, and quite a lot of insane ones come from unimpeachable sources not prone to hyperbole.  Don't know the man but love the tales!  

#44 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,243 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

Once.

That was enough.

I bet you could fill RFK Stadium with the folks that sailed on that boat once ;)

I'll be sittin in my old Redskin seats in Section 523.

#45 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,856 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

That's rich...  I sailed on a boat whose owner, after being told by his skipper that his choice of boat to compete in and he could only have one 'pro' on board, and he had to helm and the rest of the crew had to be 'amateurs'... his comment?  "Then I want the best amateurs that

money can buy!!!"

If there is a time and place for the judicial employment of professionals it has to be for racing a complex maxi sailboat.

The others are fixing toilets and electrical boxes.

Thats an honest appraisel. :P

#46 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,715 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Theres a lot of them out there, for sure!  Two summers ago i did about five deliveries across Gulf of Maine on the Tripp 50, Katrinka.  At one point we were over Stellwagen Bank IIRC,  and there were whales blowing all 360 degrees around us.  None closer than a quarter mile, but dozens of them..

#47 I Sail The Black Boat

I Sail The Black Boat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

You can train people to crew, have to also teach them a bit of respect for the boat, speed and loads wise. In some ways it's easier to crew then the old boat, no  pole, no guys to deal with down wind.  It certainly requires more profesional maintance and care for this beasty then more traditional boats. So far when the boat needs it, we've taken time off the racing scheduele to do the work. Could of course use a little more luck avioding natuaral hazzards though to make keeping up with it easier!

#48 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

hmmmm...I've heard it explained there "can't be pros onboard for tax reasons". I guess the IRS knows the truth...

Not true at all, he prefers a crew of amateurs purely on principal.

#49 DRDNA

DRDNA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

I still remember someone going around the harbor in Oxford after the race in a whaler with a megaphone repeating "Muldoon likes sheep and little boys" :lol:

Well, little boy love in terrible, and disgusting and should land you in prison.  But who doesn't love sheep??

#50 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

I sailed on the previous black boat, once.....I'm not proud of it. It was an unpleasant experience, not because we didn't do we'll (we didn't), but because of the piss poor behavior of Muldoon. It was a two day event, I switched boats and sailed the next day with an appreciative skipper, and we clubbed Donnybrook.

Muldoon has a cult-like following of crew members who are always quick with kind words about their skipper, and excuses for why it wasn't their fault they didn't win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users