49 replies to this topic

#1 J24_guy

J24_guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

The J24 class has been on a slow downward trajectory for years, but this year it really seems to have fallen off a cliff.  Regattas are half the size they used to be, or else I'm going mad.  The Really Good Guys are still at it, but so many others have cut and run. 

Is it the J70?  Is it the fact the the open World's was last year and people got that off their bucket list?  It seems like some really incredible boats are on the block for dirt cheap too.  Am I seeing things, or is the class really dying?  What do you guys from various parts of the world see?

#2 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:I WANNA GO FAST

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

I was visiting  Edge Water Yacht Club in Cleveland and  the J 22/J 24 seem to be getting edged out by the J 70.   Just a few years ago there was a nice line of J 22's and now, not so much.  I am sure this is happening everywhere.

#3 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

"They all do that."

The J/24 had a good run, but its 35+ years old for Pete's sake !

They filled/created a great niche in the sport, but folks like newer-better-faster-easier and you can't stop them from buying what they wish. The old J/24s and J/22s will likely 'trickle down' to less intense usage and condense into regional fleets of relevance.

We used to have a good J/24 fleet here in Hawaii - 15+ boats for the State Championships, and eight boats in their own class at every event - we even sailed them inter-island (this was a Bad Idea). Then came the Melges 24s, but that fleet never topped a half-dozen and is now back to 2-3 active boats - people just can't keep up with them and in the Hawaiian breeze they really are a handful.

But the Js are gone - scattered, no more OD events, no Soling fleet, no Etchells, not even the R-19s of Pearl Harbor anymore. Heck the WYC wanted an OD fleet so bad they started picking up old Cal20s to refurb. GO figure.

I have to figure that in the transition to the newest boats ( Vipers, J-70, Melges20 ) that there are some great opportunities to acquire a lot of boat for a low cost - so the future of the '24 will be whatever in invested parties make of it.

Not being the #1 Gran Prix OD doesn't necessarily mean The End, you know -- but the 'Death Spiral' started a LONG time ago - like when they deleted the cockpit lockers on new boats and forbid their removal from the old ones. Balls to those guys.

#4 j24vt

j24vt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Interests:J24s

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

Our local fleet is growing and getting younger.  The last two boats we added are owned by guys in their 20s.

#5 BayGull

BayGull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

100 boats at the last worlds, 60+ boats at a regional regatta like Lake Georges.
It is true that the 24 is less sexy and thrilling than a 70, but man, I got mine for less than 10k, where the new boats are Minimum 40 k!!
We see our local fleet growing every year, maybe because we are a bunch of broke guys!!!

Sealing cockpit lockers on J24 is allowed by measurement,
Cheers, Nic

#6 stinger

stinger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

Our fleet is growing!  Gas is not cheap and that is hurting a lot of classes.

#7 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Our fleet is growing, having moved up from three to 6 regular participants on a Wednesday night.  Texas Circuit races have 12-16 participants.  A big drop from the 50+ of the late 80's but EVERYTHING'S changed since then. 

The biggest change that I see is that the owners are changing; either they're long time class members that never changed boats, former class members that are coming back to a simpler boat or kids that crewed the boats and are buying them.  With boats changing hands for less the 5 grand, more people can afford to come in and play. Travelling is down because of expense but participation is up locally due to low entry costs and quality racing.

#8 fidd

fidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

There's a ton of them on New York Harbor due to Manhattan Sailing School. They run regular beer-can races and bigger events as well.

That being said, there were no J24's at the Cedar Point One Design Regatta. Vipers and J70's mostly. J30's too...

#9 Justmike

Justmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Fun without motors

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

As a lonely J/70 owner, the only one actively raced J/70 in the Puget Sound :( , I wish the 24 owners would move-on.  Sadly for me, but good for them, that is not happening there remains a stable fleet in the Seattle area at least on the lake.

#10 BoomerangJ

BoomerangJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Out of the 20 or so J/70's we've sold-only one has gone to a J/24 skipper. 

I think external factors are more the issue-such as high priced gas, no water in Lake Travis, etc.  With that said the J/24 fleet seems to have more activity this year then last year-in Texas. 

And a boat yard guy up in Dallas is trying to get as many cheap ones as he can to re-furb and lease/loan to build the fleet. 

I saw a new to the club boat on a hoist at AYC the other day.  Beautiful boat. Whoever restored it did it right. 

#11 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thanks!! It's Vicente's old red and white pig from Oklahoma turned white and shiny by Alfonso and his employer
It even has one of those Keeldude foil sets just like the ones that won Midwinters three years in a row, and dominated the Texas circuit back when there were 60 boat regattas.
The J-24 may just be the next South Coast 21!!

Note: Vicente even convinced Alfonso to Yank winch lines for a couple race days

#12 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Out of the 20 or so J/70's we've sold-only one has gone to a J/24 skipper. 

I think external factors are more the issue-such as high priced gas, no water in Lake Travis, etc.  With that said the J/24 fleet seems to have more activity this year then last year-in Texas. 

And a boat yard guy up in Dallas is trying to get as many cheap ones as he can to re-furb and lease/loan to build the fleet. 

I saw a new to the club boat on a hoist at AYC the other day.  Beautiful boat. Whoever restored it did it right. 

I thought two of Fort Worth 24's went to 70's?  Flying Circus and Katana?

#13 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thanks!! It's Vicente's old red and white pig from Oklahoma turned white and shiny by Alfonso and his employer
It even has one of those Keeldude foil sets just like the ones that won Midwinters three years in a row, and dominated the Texas circuit back when there were 60 boat regattas.

So when are you going to get your old boat fixed and come play with us?  Trying to put an OKC regatta together in October.

#14 Wayfarer1071

Wayfarer1071

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Wayfarer Dinghy
    J24
    Dn Iceboat

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

"They all do that."

They filled/created a great niche in the sport, but folks like newer-better-faster-easier and you can't stop them from buying what they wish. The old J/24s and J/22s will likely 'trickle down' to less intense usage and condense into regional fleets of relevance.

We used to have a good J/24 fleet here in Hawaii - 15+ boats for the State Championships, and eight boats in their own class at every event - we even sailed them inter-island (this was a Bad Idea). Then came the Melges 24s, but that fleet never topped a half-dozen and is now back to 2-3 active boats - people just can't keep up with them and in the Hawaiian breeze they really are a handful.

But the Js are gone - scattered, no more OD events, no Soling fleet, no Etchells, not even the R-19s of Pearl Harbor anymore. Heck the WYC wanted an OD fleet so bad they started picking up old Cal20s to refurb. GO figure.

I have to figure that in the transition to the newest boats ( Vipers, J-70, Melges20 ) that there are some great opportunities to acquire a lot of boat for a low cost - so the future of the '24 will be whatever in invested parties make of it.

Not being the #1 Gran Prix OD doesn't necessarily mean The End, you know -- but the 'Death Spiral' started a LONG time ago - like when they deleted the cockpit lockers on new boats and forbid their removal from the old ones. Balls to those guys.

Great Red Shark is definitely not wrong. I would add the venerable J-24 is aging gracefully. Like other OD classes there will always be a dedicated cadre of folks who love the boat for what it is: a 30+ year old design.  For those of us mere mortals who don't have the bucks to buy the latest and greatest, I can tell you an old J-24 makes a wonderful all around boat suitable for racing, day sailing, and the odd overnight here and there - just as exactly what the designer intended. Don't write it boat off just yet, there are a few more decades of life in that class.

#15 Blownout

Blownout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:beating you

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

The J24 class has been on a slow downward trajectory for years, but this year it really seems to have fallen off a cliff.  Regattas are half the size they used to be, or else I'm going mad.  The Really Good Guys are still at it, but so many others have cut and run. 

Is it the J70?  Is it the fact the the open World's was last year and people got that off their bucket list?  It seems like some really incredible boats are on the block for dirt cheap too.  Am I seeing things, or is the class really dying?  What do you guys from various parts of the world see?

what are you talking about.  your own fleet is growing.

#16 TQA

TQA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising as long as I can

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

There are a few out here in the Windward Leeward islands. often linked to island sailing schools and the young sailors progress through from Oppies?Toros etc to the J 24. It is clear that some of the boats are pretty tired but they still give local kids a chance to get into racing.

And yes most do get sailed from island to island.for the regattas.

#17 ticktock

ticktock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Marblehead plans to restart the J24 Line on Saturday next year.  The J70 went from zero in 2012 to twelve+ in 2013... wow!

#18 Running on Empty

Running on Empty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, floating on any boat with a sail.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

i know someone that needs a new deck and bottom job. Maybe they should get you to do it. I heard they pay in compliments though. They might let you put a big shop logo down the side, maybe.

J-24's are awesome 35yr old boats. They take a certain type of crazy to enjoy. The local fleet here is growing due to a few people's hard work. It isn't easy convincing people to restore an old boat and then find 5 people to race every weekend. That seems like a major selling point for other new boats is that they are getting simpler to sail with fewer people. My 24 needs a lot of TLC and finding time to restore an old boat when you are focused on career and family is difficult. You can spend a chunk of money to have someone restore it for you knowing that you will have another major issue occur in the not too distant future. My boat has been massively restored 3 times in 34 years and should have been done again 5 years ago or so. 

You might have the same issues with a new boat (ie having to restore it often) but I would hope new construction techniques would make this not the case. Either way, people seem to gravitate toward new shiny things and pass on their older design boats. If you are lucky to be located in an area where people are actively bringing in boats to build the fleet it makes more sense to restore. If you live in an area that is decaying then it makes sense the decay will happen faster as people gravitate toward newer boats.

TL;DR

J-24 fleet health is regional and varies due to many factors as it has for years, like many other types of boats. They are an asshole of a boat, I like asshole boats.

#19 pin head

pin head

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

The J24 class is the Energizer Bunny

#20 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Curtis Whumped running on empty again.

But...

About those refurbs...

Refurbishing an old J-24 to be good as new costs a hell of a lot less than buying anything else new.

After we finish Whore Haze deck we should have a better idea whether it is worth my time to do Psycho

#21 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

J/24s have the best price point for young sailors or newbs with limited budget wanting to start up a campaign.    They are great PHRF boats and obviously great OD boats.    You can buy one for $5K and fix it up for another $5K and still be way better off price-wise versus other Jboats or other boats in general.    I think their staying power will stay strong for as long as limited budget sailors that want a good sailing boat exist.    Which is a long time.   

It is not the boat for me, but I see its value.

#22 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

If this is the death spiral of the 24 class, it's still better than the heyday of 90% of one-design classes.  :)

#23 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't think anybody in their right mind would suggest that J 24's have ever been a GP boat - sure a reasonable size class - but GP?

"They all do that."

#24 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Christian,

Either you are young and ignorant or simply ignorant. In the 1980s the J-24 game was THE worldwide racing game with tougher competition than any other class period.
Sometime around 1994 that ceased to be true but whoever managed to hold the J-24 world championship during that glorious ride could legitimately claim to be the best team of five sailors on the planet.

Then the money moved elsewhere.

#25 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

They all are holding out for J-71, which is apparently much faster and user friendly than J70, J88 and J111 combined!

Me?  I am saving my pennies for J72.5 (deep keel inboard masthead version) - that's going to be a true World Class.

#26 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

The racing game and the open market don't go well together.
While some of us would eagerly sail in any fleet of identical toys and don't see much point is trying to race with dissimilar toys, others want to sail their favorite toy while also racing.
Then there is the desire to build the best most profitable toys as opposed to the least expensive identical toys .....

Then there are compsnies like J-boats whose business is developing new toys and putting those toys in production.

Good news??? There are over 113 boats detract scheduled to sail the Thistle nationals.
Thistles are simply little J-22s or J-70s that cost a lot less to build and maintain.

#27 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

The racing game and the open market don't go well together.
While some of us would eagerly sail in any fleet of identical toys and don't see much point is trying to race with dissimilar toys, others want to sail their favorite toy while also racing.
Then there is the desire to build the best most profitable toys as opposed to the least expensive identical toys .....

Then there are compsnies like J-boats whose business is developing new toys and putting those toys in production.

Good news??? There are over 113 boats detract scheduled to sail the Thistle nationals.
Thistles are simply little J-22s or J-70s that cost a lot less to build and maintain.

The 24 fits my sailing too well; enough room to train newbies and cheap enough for a teacher to run.  You'd have to beat me with a dog chain to get me back on a Flying Scot; THAT would drive me to Portsmouth.  Of course, blasting a 50 through a fleet of Scots is entertaining...

#28 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Whatever you say..................

Christian,

Either you are young and ignorant or simply ignorant. In the 1980s the J-24 game was THE worldwide racing game with tougher competition than any other class period.
Sometime around 1994 that ceased to be true but whoever managed to hold the J-24 world championship during that glorious ride could legitimately claim to be the best team of five sailors on the planet.

#29 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:25 AM

admits 2B young and dumb..................

Christian,

The money and Teams seemed to move to the Mumm 30 Worlds, during the mid 1990s then onto the Far 40 Worlds ?

#30 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

Yeah. the prices went too high the numbers and fleet size and pure wonderfulness of the game has never rivaled the j-24 heyday

There is absolutely nothing wrong with lining up in a fleet of million dollar boats and I would certainly do it if I could

But

The very best pure contest of skills happens in any sport when access is granted to virtually everyone willing to develop the skills.

In my perfect world yacht clubs would own fleets of a hundred or three hundred boats and the sailors would come play in a manner more like a bowling league .

The Saturday racing would be the hundred top qualifiers from all the other day's leagues, past champions, and maybe last year's top 20% from the Saturday series

With 200 boats on the line every weekend and most weeknights, the competition would be fantastic for anyone shoppers to play the racing game
There round be brilliance at the front and plenty of newbies and geezers battling to avoid dfl .... While bring near ten other boats at all times

Technology might well stagnate but:

1. The game would be fabulous
2. We play with find powered boats!!! The point is to do without a huge amount of readily available technology and move our toys around courses using only human skill. Technology Is expensive and not really all that welcome anyway. ..

#31 X24R

X24R

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

If this is the death spiral of the 24 class, it's still better than the heyday of 90% of one-design classes.   :)

+1

#32 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Precisely... There are lots of sailors having fun in J-24s and lots of folks who get their jollies bashing the J-24

Around here folks race J-24, J-22, Southcoast 21, ,Catalina 22, J-89, and Ensigns

it seems to me each of the fleets has about the same amount of fun

Good for them!!!

#33 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Precisely... There are lots of sailors having fun in J-24s and lots of folks who get their jollies bashing the J-24
Around here folks race J-24, J-22, Southcoast 21, ,Catalina 22, J-89, and Ensigns
Good for them!!!

J-89? Bet you meant J-80. J-24s are about the only boat with decent one design fleets (that race) in the NW (USA), except for the Seattle Melges fleet. Even though I love to hate them, I still race the J-24 and will continue to until some other boat establishes a bigger, better fleet. Lots of boats have tried (J-80, J-70, U20, Viper), but none have succeeded in upstaging the lowly J-24. If this is their death spiral, the poor J-24 must have ended up in boat heaven. Our local fleet is still growing and becoming more competitive. Some are upgrading boats while keeping their old ones in the fleet. More are traveling to regional events. It just keeps getting better and better. Who would have thought that the J-24 would still be going strong after all these years? Who needs afterburners when you have an afterlife?

#34 DUBLIN-13

DUBLIN-13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

We had a decent j24 fleet in dublin in the 90 but that died off in favour of bigger boats and other one designs. Fleet building back up cause worlds are on here this year but wouldnt be surprised if the fleet dies off over the next few years. Seem to come and go in cycles here

#35 X24R

X24R

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

Good for them!!!

J-89? Bet you meant J-80. J-24s are about the only boat with decent one design fleets (that race) in the NW (USA), except for the Seattle Melges fleet. Even though I love to hate them, I still race the J-24 and will continue to until some other boat establishes a bigger, better fleet. Lots of boats have tried (J-80, J-70, U20, Viper), but none have succeeded in upstaging the lowly J-24. If this is their death spiral, the poor J-24 must have ended up in boat heaven. Our local fleet is still growing and becoming more competitive. Some are upgrading boats while keeping their old ones in the fleet. More are traveling to regional events. It just keeps getting better and better. Who would have thought that the J-24 would still be going strong after all these years? Who needs afterburners when you have an afterlife?

I had one for years, sold it, sailed on one for years prior to owning one. and now still sailing on a 24 --- some of the best racing i've ever had -- as wrong as these boats are, they changed sailing.  J24s give most PHRF rating boards something to anchor on.

#36 BayGull

BayGull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

As J24 is not in a death spiral, come and race in Canada !!!!

http://j24canadians2013.wordpress.com/

:D  :D  :D

I had to post it here!!! 

#37 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

The J24 dream of the 90's is alive and well in Portlandia.  Affordable boat that makes sense to race in a limited space venue.    

#38 kmcfast

kmcfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

Do a IC 24 sail plan, 105% no hollow jibs with battens, Add a 1" shackle in forestay and a big roach main with RPS backstay flicker,sail with 3 or 4 600# max. OD spinnaker. Rockin wit the oldies....  . 

#39 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Or leave it alone and enjoy the boat for what it is.

#40 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Is it possible for a class with over 100 fleets and 5300 boats to be in a death spiral? If so, it'll be a 30 year spiral :-D

#41 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

The 5300 boat fleet has probably dwindled to well under 4000 currently serviceable  and recoverable  toys and I am being optimistic.

The "grand prix" feel of the eighties is gone and has been replaced by a "fleet of potentially wonderful toys you can race that you can buy for next to nothing."

The boat will NOT attract those who would must like to go to the store and buy a playtoy. The fleet already attracts the same guys who would go to a junkyard and find a 1955 chevy to restore and some who really like fixing toys more than racing them.

the fleet will no longer attract the folks who want to race in the hottest fleet with the big name teams so they can test their skills agains the best.

Many of the  boats are having severe rot problems and will soon be unserviceable but odds are some will make their fiftieth birthday while still sailing competitively.

The new J-24 game is a fine one already played all over the world in lots of old designs whose original builders and designers long since abandoned them.  There will be plenty of clubs where J-24s are the best local fleet and where some enthusiastic locals regularly go find a cherry boat somewhere and bring it in either to use or market to whoever shows up and shows interest in sailing..

Nobody is building the 200 to 300 new Boats we would need every year to sustain the fleet as a super north american class but ...

113 Thistles at Sandusky this month shows us old boats whose primary building and retail success came a long time ago can still assemble for a helluva game

The J-24 either needs an enthusiastic new builder who can manage to market it well enough to sell those 200 to 300 boats or ...

we need a different  new toy to replace what we had in the eighties

Personally?? I think the sailing community needs a boat that does what a J-24 did with a trailer and sails for $10,000.  Somebody needs to get mighty creative.

I will gladly sail my old J-24 while I wait.

#42 Havoc

Havoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hasn't sailing in general been in a death spiral since the 80's?  The J/24 class is still around and parts are readily available.  It's the Spec Miata of boats! 

#43 sail611

sail611

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

I love our (friend and I partnered up for one) J24 and we have a blast with it.  Sure, it would be cool to get into a bigger boat, but almost any of them that are available are more expensive to own, need more crew, and wouldn't really be any more fun.  In my opinion, I would say that bang for buck, the J24 is the best deal in sailing, and I think we should all encourage the young aspiring skippers to look into the boat.  It is affordable, fun, will build skills, and everyone I have met in the class are all good people.  

#44 jrreastern

jrreastern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:racing and cruising

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

New to the j-24. A very exciting(yes 35 yrs young) versitile boat for those of us with a slim budget. We are gaining interest by sailing with the blade and spinniker but no genoa. This cut the need for 5 crew and saves us the cost of the most expensive sail. Sailing one design, using the blade does not matter. Hopefully this will catch on and grow participation. The IC 24's got it right.

#45 lucky1954

lucky1954

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, Sailing, Travelling and Sail making !

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Think.........more J24 in China ??

#46 oldsailor

oldsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Keeping out of trouble --(especially SWMBO)

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Im trying to get a handle on this J24 business.

My friend can no longer sail and has to part with his J24.

I have offered to move it for him ---but don't know what the market for it is like.

It is on a mooring in Pittwater, behind Scotland Island and the mooring goes with the boat. At present it needs a good bottom clean, and bilge water pumping out. Its suit of sails is good, and there is a lot of equipment.  I have no idea what it's market value would be.

Can any kind sailor advise me on this.   

#47 redmond

redmond

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

The health of a fleet is somewhat boat dependent and we have certainly seen some sailors move on. In Seattle, that has been minimal however. Every year, we have a couple of people leave the fleet and fortunately have seen an equal number of people join the fleet. Most of those have family obligations and stop actively sailing because of time constraints etc.. Many of our fleet members have been part of the J24 fleet for 20-25 years and our level of sailing suits them fine. Our boat has three people in their mid 60s and one in his mid 70s. Only our foredeck person is in his 30s. We are clearly not as athletic as some of the other teams out there but we have a good time. The fact remains that our J24 fleet is still the only OD option where you can race 20-25 boats on weeknights on a total sailing/moorage budget of $5k-$7k. Some spend more and some spend less. We have five or six boats out there with sail numbers in the 5000 range but most boats date back to the early 80s. The newer sports boats are nice but to campaign them, you will have to spend a multiple of what we are spending in the J24 fleet. As a fleet, we are therefore not competing with other boat types but rather with available family time. Our weekend regatta participation is therefore poor but that allows people like me to commit to a big boat program for the weekends. If the fleets are properly managed, they do not have to die.

#48 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

It's a pretty resilient class. It faces the same challenges than other classes : $$$  and getting crew. I left the class a few years back because I got tired of coralling/training/coaching crews...and constantly replacing those f'ing genoas that don't last more than half a season.

I would consider getting back in the class if they changed the following : no more plastic genoas, max 4 crew, no crew weight limit. But this has already been discussed to death in this forum.

#49 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

I think no crew weighing with 4 or less and weigh 5 or more,little larger #3 so you could be competitive in 15kts w/jib

It's a pretty resilient class. It faces the same challenges than other classes : $$$  and getting crew. I left the class a few years back because I got tired of coralling/training/coaching crews...and constantly replacing those f'ing genoas that don't last more than half a season.

I would consider getting back in the class if they changed the following : no more plastic genoas, max 4 crew, no crew weight limit. But this has already been discussed to death in this forum.

#50 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

I think no crew weighing with 4 or less and weigh 5 or more,little larger #3 so you could be competitive in 15kts w/jib

I would conat sider getting back in the class if they changed the following : no more plastic genoas, max 4 crew, no crew weight limit. But this has already been discussed to death in this forum.

That would solve part of the problems with the class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users