#1 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Racecars, travelling

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

Hello,

I´m new here, I´ve been away from sailing for over 13 or 14 years now. I learned to sail on a wooden Vaurien, doublehanded, and then got a Laser. Sailed that for maybe 30 or so hours, but at the time it was a chore just getting to the marina and setting the boat up and storing it, so gave up on it and sold the boat before moving onto motorcycles and racecars. Back then I must have been around 190 pounds.

Now I´m 32 years old, 6 foot tall and 220 pounds, and am feeling like giving it another go. I am not really interested in doublehanded sailing, which is what is available in local sailing schools for adults, so am considering buying a boat, preferably used if in good condition. Lasers here are the most common boats, so if buying a used one it´d be a lot simpler and also easier to store. Questions are, am I too heavy for a Laser, and which would be a better boat for me?

I´m not really thinking of racing competitively, or maybe at all, but do want something that´s simple, quick to rig, easy to get on and off the water by myself, satisfying to sail alone, and feels fast. The Laser used to feel fast and fun, the Vaurien was good fun too when singlehanded in light winds. Would like something fast, but am afraid I will feel like I´m starting from scratch once on the boat.

#2 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Laser is a great choice and for what you want to do, no you're not too big. If it blows (15+) you will have a big (no pun) advantage over the smaller sailors. Used Lasers are aplenty and do your homework on older boats.

#3 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

I am 200lbs and sail one regularly. I can compete with 140 pound guys in 12-13, over 15 I have an advantage upwind, and under 12 I just kinda watch them sail away.

#4 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

....as others have said,,you're fine for fun,,,rather handicapped if you're racing in the light stuff.

......and check out the Hansen laser-turbo rig for a sweet option on a larger sail,,,at a not too bad price!!

http://www.hansensai...sts.asp?TID=123

#5 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

good size for a Finn, no? dont really know much about that, but i think the size placement may fit better. 

#6 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thing is, a Finn is a boat I´d struggle to buy used at a good price. The thing about a Laser is that it´s an easy boat to buy and sell as they are rarer and I´m completely clueless about the sailing scene. I´m thinking I´m going to get one, see how I enjoy it this time around, and if indeed it´s not powerful enough I´ll think about upgrading it, or at least then I´ll be sure I´m committed to it before buying a much more expensive boat.

Is there a particularly good book for me to brush up on all the fittings and rigging?

#7 herr_zorzs

herr_zorzs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

oh the laser rigging is as easy as it gets. i'd browse youtube if you struggle with some details, or simply ask here.

despite your size the laser can still be lots of fun in a blow, in lower winds you will want to have a bigger sailplan.

and i think that racing could be quite frustrating

#8 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Is an RS100 really a lot harder to sail than a Laser? I guess that would be a lot more adequate for my weight.

#9 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

get out in the fleet
there'll be fellas your size
otherwise you'll end up with a boat that may not have fleets nr ya

#10 US 307

US 307

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:sailing, fishing, archery

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Check out a Megabyte, if you can find one.  It was designed for 220# sailor.

#11 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

You'll probably find it hard to get an RS 100 for anything near the price of a used Laser since they are relatively new boats. I have an RS 600 which is a totally different animal all together and it is a bitch to sail although if you're a speed junky, few are faster (read none) single handed.

#12 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don´t think I´ll find a Megabyte around here, nevermind one for sale. 

I´ll go ahead and find a nice Laser. Then, I will evaluate how it copes with me, and I´ll either keep it as is, upgrade to a 8.1 sail I didn´t even know existed, or sell it and look for another boat, but I think I´ll have fun at least on the first few times on water and I´ll deal with it later.

Anyone here sails a 8.1? I used to love my Laser, with a bigger sail I bet it´s a blast.

What should I look out for when looking at a used Laser? I thought these were pretty bulletproof boats.

#13 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

,,,,,,,,,,,What should I look out for when looking at a used Laser? I thought these were pretty bulletproof boats...

....plentiful and cheap yes..Bulletproof?-NOT!!.. chech for delaminated sidedeck/floor,,,bent spars,,,mast step damage,,leaks

#14 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Another vote for: too bad they didn't make a lot more Megabytes.

I'm just a little shorter than the OP, but the same weight and I really like the much roomier Mega - cockpit is 10x the size, and I REALLY like having the carbon rig, and a halyard, and a traveler, and a comfortably-angled rail, and the slick aluminum blades, and outboard hiking straps, and the full-batten monofilm sail, and...

#15 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

laser with a Rooster 8.1 rig

perfect.

#16 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

As has been said you are not too heavy for day sailing a Laser. Get the bigger sail for light air if you want more power. For racing you are a bit heavy unless you race in 15+ all the time. Get closer to that 200-210 lbs. number and you would be a lot better off. But since you are just getting back into sailing and a relative newbie you will have lots to learn and practice before your weight will be holding you back at the local club level.

Good luck and have fun!!!

#17 Spoonie

Spoonie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

get out in the fleet

What Gybey said.   Chances are, it's not your weight that's going to hold you back.  

Cheers

Spoonie

#18 stinger

stinger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

Finn

#19 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

get out in the fleet

spot on GS... (for once  ;) )

#20 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

You'll probably find it hard to get an RS 100 for anything near the price of a used Laser since they are relatively new boats. I have an RS 600 which is a totally different animal all together and it is a bitch to sail although if you're a speed junky, few are faster (read none) single handed.

apart from a moth, foliing moth, IC, AC, MPS, RS700, Contender (in wind around the cans), RS100, Devoti One.... that said, if someone wants to deposit a 600 at the sailing club for me this afternoon, the 8 knot forecast looks lovely for it.  

#21 herr_zorzs

herr_zorzs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

apart from a moth, foliing moth, IC, AC, MPS, RS700, Contender (in wind around the cans), RS100, Devoti One.... that said, if someone wants to deposit a 600 at the sailing club for me this afternoon, the 8 knot forecast looks lovely for it.  

the contender beats a RS600 around the course?

#22 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Regarding launching a Laser from the beach by myself. Do Laser take well beaching on sand while entering and exiting the water, or do they get all scratched to shit?

#23 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

The only way a Contender beats an RS 600 around the course is if the skipper is way better on the Contender than the RS. Boat for boat the RS is hands down faster. Goes to weather 10 degrees higher and down wind it smokes most anything without a kite, AC and IC included. That why the RS has a 76.6 rating and the Contender 91.4 (or thereabouts). The AC / IC is in the 76 range with a kite!

As far as beach launching; use a dolly in and out of the water. If your boats a beater don't worry about it but if it's nice use a dolly.

#24 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

The only way a Contender beats an RS 600 around the course is if the skipper is way better on the Contender than the RS. Boat for boat the RS is hands down faster. Goes to weather 10 degrees higher and down wind it smokes most anything without a kite, AC and IC included. That why the RS has a 76.6 rating and the Contender 91.4 (or thereabouts). The AC / IC is in the 76 range with a kite!

As far as beach launching; use a dolly in and out of the water. If your boats a beater don't worry about it but if it's nice use a dolly.

or if two average equal skippers go head to head.... a contender has beaten RS600s around the course, making up the for the boat speed advantage of the 6 with better handling, reduce capsizes and an ability to tack without getting stuck in irons.... 

#25 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

A Sunfish will beat an F-18 with the right (or wrong) skippers aboard but I'm talking about the real world. I like the Contender, would like to have one, but I've raced against one here in Texas skippered by a very good pilot and yes he beat me one out of three I sailed. But I add he is a much better skipper than me and he sailed a far better course than me. But for boat speed and fast around the cans? No contest.

#26 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

Regarding launching a Laser from the beach by myself. Do Laser take well beaching on sand while entering and exiting the water, or do they get all scratched to shit?

...as mentioned above,,a dolley is the best way to go...
.....though launching and landing in surf,,I've sometimes tipped the boat and slid it on the gunnel,,pulling the mast at deck-level,,makes for an easy hull-damage-free launch or landing!

#27 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well, if we're talking about the real world, then I guess there's no discussion needed, the RS600 is a dead class, whereas the Contender remains an international success with 172 entries at its Worlds on Lake Como earlier this year.... I know which one I'd choose.

#28 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

We weren't talking about class size or our choices in boats. We were talking about which was faster around a course.

#29 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I still reckon I could get a contender around a course faster than I could 'ghosting myself' in a 600.... it's only an opinion; but ease of use, lack of racks and stability can translate into a faster time around a track, despite a lower peak speed on a tight reach.  

Anyway, if the 600 were as good a boat as the Contender it would have replaced it, and it would be having its 150+ entry worlds, rather than being one of the 'no show' classes for the RS regatta in Carnac earlier this summer.

#30 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

You're right, it's only an opinion.

#31 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

yep, opinion based on knowledge of owning / racing one of the last few 600's ever built for 18 months and having sailed a Contender a few times since- an old shitty example of one.... still reckon I'd get that contender around a course quicker than my old 600.  

#32 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Maybe we can test that theory one day; your Contender and my RS 600

#33 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

maybe one day, 4 races, 2 in each, if tie break, one final race in our own boats... loser buys first round at the bar, winner buys the next three?

happy sailing lindy... sorry for the the Troll in C minor.

#34 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Sounds like a blast and the sailing would be fun too!

#35 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Just found out my car is rated to a maximum weight of 75kg on top, it´s a 2007 BMW 3 series station with roof rails. I think a laser hull with mast and boom are under that weight, right?

Found what, I am told by a third party, is a good boat. Viewing it next week.

#36 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hull weighs around 130 lbs. so ~59kg., you will have no problem car toping. Spars are pretty light. Maybe another 20 lbs. so you will be under your max by a good bit.

#37 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

I´m getting bored of trying to find a used boat. Been on the phone with several people, and I can´t imagine what makes you creat an add if you aren´t bothered to pick the phone up or arrange a meeting with the guy who wants to buy what you´re selling. After all this time I´ve got two choices at the moment, what must be a "as new" boat for 3300€, or this one for 1500€.

The cheaper one is far away, so I managed to get pictures before wasting 3 hours on a motorway to go and see it, but I was pretty disapointed when the pictures arrived. I was thinking that with the price of an older boat I could fit an 8.1 sail and end up cheaper still than a new standard boat, but this looks pretty nasty to me.

Is that a patch?

IMG_64921.jpg

IMG_64881.jpg

IMG_64861.jpg

IMG_64941.jpg

I´m thinking the smart thing is leaving this boat alone instead of loading it with a heavy guy sailing it on the ocean, right?

#38 bowgeezer

bowgeezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

This one looks pretty tired.  I can see a bill of $2000 in fixes (blades, vang, Cunningham, outhaul, bailer, gel coat/fiberglass work, new lines, practice sail) before you could really consider having a boat to compete on a local level.  That said, you could also put in a bailer, sail it for a while with the existing set up (making sure to buy at least a bailer and learn to upgrade the 3:1 Vang to 6:1 using the old style blocks) sail it around a bit and decide if you want to invest more or buy a newer upgraded boat.  The beauty of Lasers is that even if it is a beater, someone will want to buy it from you if you put it up for sale at a reasonable price.

#39 mrpelicano

mrpelicano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, bicycling (road and mtb), guitar, wine, travel, pit bulls.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I mean no disrespect whatsoever but is losing weight an option?  Dropping down under 200lbs / 91kg for your height would be golden for Laser sailing, and it's not that hard to do.  I've made a concerted effort over the past three months to get down to Laser Radial weight, since optimal weight for the Standard rig was outside my comfort zone, and it wasn't really that difficult.  

And I can't believe you couldn't find a better boat than the one pictured for a reasonable price.  You at least want to find one with the upgraded vang, outhaul and cunno fittings, which will make your experience much more pleasurable and enable you to race the boat without filling the air with profanity on every leg.  :)

Best of luck!

MrP

#40 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,990 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

I´m new here, I´ve been away from sailing for over 13 or 14 years now. I learned to sail on a wooden Vaurien, doublehanded, and then got a Laser. Sailed that for maybe 30 or so hours, but at the time it was a chore just getting to the marina and setting the boat up and storing it, so gave up on it and sold the boat before moving onto motorcycles and racecars. Back then I must have been around 190 pounds.

Now I´m 32 years old, 6 foot tall and 220 pounds, and am feeling like giving it another go. I am not really interested in doublehanded sailing, which is what is available in local sailing schools for adults, so am considering buying a boat, preferably used if in good condition. Lasers here are the most common boats, so if buying a used one it´d be a lot simpler and also easier to store. Questions are, am I too heavy for a Laser, and which would be a better boat for me?

I´m not really thinking of racing competitively, or maybe at all, but do want something that´s simple, quick to rig, easy to get on and off the water by myself, satisfying to sail alone, and feels fast. The Laser used to feel fast and fun, the Vaurien was good fun too when singlehanded in light winds. Would like something fast, but am afraid I will feel like I´m starting from scratch once on the boat.

To sail a Laser? No

To race a Laser? Yes. 

#41 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hijack - What is the optimal weight for the Radial Rig???

#42 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

I thought under 165 though if windy maybe more

re: used boat, above points relevant also suspect is the black patch at gooseneck, might need new spars soon
but hey, I paid about the same for a worse conditioned boat and got to work on it for 6 mos., seemed like a good idea at the time

#43 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

......... or this one for 1500€.
.........Is that a patch?

IMG_64921.jpg

I´m thinking the smart thing is leaving this boat alone instead of loading it with a heavy guy sailing it on the ocean, right?

...you're thinking smart--in this region,that boat would have trouble making -half- that price!
.......the 'patch'is actually mast-step printthrough,,common on '80's boats

.......keep looking,,be open to a 'whatever-class' boat,,there's some joy-rides out there,,,,might not be a laser,,,doesn't matter anyways if you're not planning to race

#44 Lynch

Lynch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Sailing! Beer Wine Winning occasionally

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

I weigh about 240 and I'm 5'8" but I can bench 350 lots of times and have squatted more than 400. . Over 20 knots I can leave the kids for dead. Under 12 -14 I am being passed by the oppies.
Best advice I can offer is go sailing at every op.
I enjoy every race though I often finish last.

#45 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

:ph34r:

Attached Files

• Attached File  d544.jpg   206.27K   15 downloads

#46 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

RS 600 beating an AC boat for boat. Maybe in a drifter crapshoot. Just don't see that happening with any breeze at all. Maybe reefed in over thirty. Maybe?

#47 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I weigh about 240 and I'm 5'8" but I can bench 350 lots of times and have squatted more than 400. . Over 20 knots I can leave the kids for dead. Under 12 -14 I am being passed by the oppies.
Best advice I can offer is go sailing at every op.
I enjoy every race though I often finish last.

You need an MC scow.

#48 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

I´m getting bored of trying to find a used boat. Been on the phone with several people, and I can´t imagine what makes you creat an add if you aren´t bothered to pick the phone up or arrange a meeting with the guy who wants to buy what you´re selling. After all this time I´ve got two choices at the moment, what must be a "as new" boat for 3300€, or this one for 1500€.

The cheaper one is far away, so I managed to get pictures before wasting 3 hours on a motorway to go and see it, but I was pretty disapointed when the pictures arrived. I was thinking that with the price of an older boat I could fit an 8.1 sail and end up cheaper still than a new standard boat, but this looks pretty nasty to me.

Is that a patch?

IMG_64921.jpg

IMG_64881.jpg

IMG_64861.jpg

IMG_64941.jpg

That boat is dog's breakfast.

#49 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

Bought a boat today. It´s got a couple of scrapes and wear but seems strong and good. Sail looks fresh as well.

Will test it on monday on a quiet fresh water river. Thanks for the advice.

#50 desldes desk

desldes desk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

Bought a boat today. It´s got a couple of scrapes and wear but seems strong and good. Sail looks fresh as well.

Will test it on monday on a quiet fresh water river. Thanks for the advice.

Since a laser is a laser is a laser...what vintage did you get? Something ready for racing or just ready to go sail for fun? (Or maybe something ready to foil? http://forums.sailin...howtopic=149270)

#51 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Don´t really know what year it is, hull is marked "GB PSE LS 1125 I 202", and it´s got the sail number 175718.

It´s got a couple of scrapes and signs of being well used and repaired, I know it raced the Spanish championship for at least a couple of years. If it doesn´t take in water it´s going to be good enough for me, because today I found I am learning everything all over again. Took it out in a river, and the wind here is all wonky and really hard to judge, it comes in strong short gusts and then stops for minutes, really hard to gain a feel for what I´m doing.

It was hot today, at around 33ºC so after a couple of hours of being on the boat after skipping lunch and starting to feel a little sunstroke I turned back in, gave it a wash, covered it, and went for a steak.

Going back tomorrow of after, to see if I learned anything.

Couple of pictures, from a phone:

26082013852.jpg

26082013856.jpg

26082013853.jpg

26082013854.jpg

26082013855.jpg

#52 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

Looks good Rocha, got a little wear from the tiller rubbing but nothing major.  That first boat was shite the second one looks much nicer. Have fun sailing!

FM

#53 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Remove the gudgeons, flip them over, reinstall them, and see if that lifts the tiller off your deck

The boat is old enough it would be wise to remove every fitting and re- bed it in 5200 sealant.

#54 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I didn´t try showing it in pictures because I knew my phone wouldn´t pick it up in the sunshine, but everything has been re-sealed recently.

#55 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

It looks pretty tidy to me- that could win our club series in the right hands.

enjoy  :)

#56 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Looks real nice!

#57 mrpelicano

mrpelicano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, bicycling (road and mtb), guitar, wine, travel, pit bulls.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm hoping it's 150-153.  Sailed my Standard in a few events last month in the 16-24 knot range and was crushed upwind, at 155 lbs.  Took the Radial out last Saturday in 7-10 knots and it felt pretty good.  Racing this weekend so we'll see how it goes if there's any serious breeze.  But definitely can't sail the Standard rig competitively in anything over 10-12 knots at my current weight of 151.

MrP

#58 Rocha

Rocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

It looks pretty tidy to me- that could win our club series in the right hands.

Unfortunately, those aren´t my hands  :lol:

#59 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

I don't think I could be competitive either--at a bit over 16 stone...

#60 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

mine neither- but a good example of a Laser - still competitive, but didn't cost a bomb!

#61 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm hoping it's 150-153.  Sailed my Standard in a few events last month in the 16-24 knot range and was crushed upwind, at 155 lbs.  Took the Radial out last Saturday in 7-10 knots and it felt pretty good.  Racing this weekend so we'll see how it goes if there's any serious breeze.  But definitely can't sail the Standard rig competitively in anything over 10-12 knots at my current weight of 151.

MrP

I agree with that from what I have read and seen on the race course. Just asked the question to see what others have seen and feel.

Some also has to with height and body build. Taller equals more righting moment. I am 165 and 6’ 5’ 11’’ and with the full rig around 15 kts I start to struggle upwind against the bigger or better sailors. But I think I am a bit too heavy for the Radial so I am right between the two rigs. Although I have never raced in a Radial only fleet so maybe I would do just fine as long as we did not get really light air. Need to give that a go sometime!

Good luck this weekend and let us know how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users