Dash Cams, Ubiquitous in Russia. Good idea here?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

In Russia millions of cars have a dash cam. You tube is filled with examples of accidents and other events recorded by these devices. Even the Chelyabinsk meteor was documented by a dozen or more dash cams.

If Zimmerman's truck had one many questions about that night may have been recorded. We would likely know if Trayvon came back and circled Z's truck for instance. We might have seen if Zimmerman was running in pursuit  after the request to stop and if he was telling the truth that he only walked across the top of the T. 

We might even get a glimpse of who approached who and the first punch, especially if Zimmerman had left his high beams on. 

NO, I M NOT taking a position one way or another just thinking about all the ramifications. 

And finally the heart of Russia

#2 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

You are thinking about a scintilla of the possibilities .

So what?? Put one in every one of your fleet

#3 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

And?

#4 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,255 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

#5 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,099 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'd have thought you would be against the "surveillance state" Jack.

#6 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

In Russia millions of cars have a dash cam. You tube is filled with examples of accidents and other events recorded by these devices. Even the Chelyabinsk meteor was documented by a dozen or more dash cams.

If Zimmerman's truck had one many questions about that night may have been recorded. We would likely know if Trayvon came back and circled Z's truck for instance. We might have seen if Zimmerman was running in pursuit  after the request to stop and if he was telling the truth that he only walked across the top of the T. 

We might even get a glimpse of who approached who and the first punch, especially if Zimmerman had left his high beams on. 

NO, I M NOT taking a position one way or another just thinking about all the ramifications. 

Well, what does GZ have to say about TM circling his truck?  He is on record about that, isn't he?

#7 VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

You use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore.

#8 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'd have thought you would be against the "surveillance state" Jack.

Did you miss this line in the opening post?

"NO, I M NOT taking a position one way or another just thinking about all the ramifications."

#9 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,099 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I did.

#10 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

And?

You will have them for whatever benefit you might enjoy. Just keep your nanny state government out of the equation.

#11 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

I did.

lets face it smart phones are everywhere. The presumption that your private and public behavior won't be video recorded is almost gone already. Right now in the US the Gov. just mandated car black boxes one all new cars starting next year I think. 

Dash cams would have utility in accidents and other cases but do we want to be under such scrutiny. I can imaging Zimmerman is either very glad he did not have one or he is very sad. 

Yesterday I was driving along  and at an intersection we counted 8 traffic cams (1 each lane) and a ninth pan and tilt cam.

I like the convenience of a Toll transponder, I don't like the fact that every time a toll is collected the time, place and date is known to the state. If I speed on a toll road they know it. Currently they don't ticket via such data but some are pushing to make them mandatory on all cars. They sell a passive RFID sticker for $3.00 so the cost can't be used as an argument against it. Right now in florida the toll freeways are being engineered with full speed overhead  readers but since the Tags are not universal they are building ridiculously expensive traditional manned toll booths on the sides. It is said that each of these side paths will take 25 years of toll collecting just to cover their own cost. One such toll diversion would buy everyone in the state a transponder sticker many times over. 

BUT! do we want to become even more watched. The tradeoffs make an interesting discussion. No?

#12 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,528 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Facial recognition coming to a state near you.  

Recently-released documents show that the FBI has been working since late 2011 with four states—Michigan, Hawaii, Maryland, and possibly Oregon—to ramp up the Next Generation Identification (NGI) Facial Recognition Program. When the program is fully deployed in 2014, the FBI expects its facial recognition database will contain at least 12 million “searchable frontal photos.” (p. 6)

The documents, which the National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON) obtained from a recent meeting of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Advisory Policy Board,1  shed new light on the FBI’s plans for NGI—the Bureau's massive biometrics database that combines fingerprints, iris scans, palm prints, facial recognition and extensive biographical data collected from over 100 million Americans.

The Advisory Board documents show that FBI's database of facial images will provide search results automatically (the system won't need to rely on a human to check the results before forwarding them to the state or local agency) and that the FBI is developing "Universal Face Workstation software" to allow states that don't have their own "Face/Photo search capabilities"  to search through the FBI's images

#13 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

How is this political? I run a front/rear facing camera on my Jeep, but that's just because asshole drivers will lie. It's certainly not for any political reason!

#14 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

How is this political? I run a front/rear facing camera on my Jeep, but that's just because asshole drivers will lie. It's certainly not for any political reason!

It's in PA because Jack started the thread.  

Having said that, I wonder why Jack even comes here.  On the Forums Main Page, you'll find this - "If it has to do with politics and you are a sailor, comment here." under the link for PA.  Does Jack sail?

#15 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Having said that, I wonder why Jack even comes here.  On the Forums Main Page, you'll find this - "If it has to do with politics and you are a sailor, comment here." under the link for PA.  Does Jack sail?

Lies and spam. That's all you know how to do.

http://forums.sailin...=6#entry4219724

http://forums.sailin...=7#entry4220307

#16 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well some states are two party recording states where these might be illegal. If you password protect your dash cam can the state order you to unlock it? can you video a traffic stop? 

Think of it as an expansion of the surveillance era.

There, that is a lot more political that the last two posts before mine.

#17 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Lies and spam. That's all you know how to do.

http://forums.sailin...=6#entry4219724

http://forums.sailin...=7#entry4220307

Many many years ago you said you were leaving.  Multiple IDs and tens of thousands of posts and you are still here.  Not a lie because you never said when you were leaving? 

If you going to stay and troll then HTFU. 

#18 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

And every time I post here somebody who cares can figure out exactly where I was at that time..

Yet it is hard to find a great margarita

#19 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Well some states are two party recording states where these might be illegal. If you password protect your dash cam can the state order you to unlock it? can you video a traffic stop? 

Two party recording laws don't apply. Do you get consent every time you snap a photograph with people in the background? You should probably have all those strangers sign consent forms as well.

Edit: to clarify, mine does not record sound.

#20 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

Call me a soppy sap, but, I liked that last series of videos a whole heckuva lot more than the first few.  

#21 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

Two party recording laws don't apply. Do you get consent every time you snap a photograph with people in the background? You should probably have all those strangers sign consent forms as well.

Edit: to clarify, mine does not record sound.

Exactly sound. So the ticketing officer would be recorded. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users