8 replies to this topic

#1 Shane M.

Shane M.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Prettier, Faster, Which is the better S&S boat?

#2 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

If it were my choice I would take Brilliant.  It's a pretty sweet boat to have in terms of comfort, and she performs well too.  Dorade, while beautiful, fast and famous is not all that comfortable, and the fact is, if I'm owning a boat like that, I probably want to spend most of my time NOT racing.  That said, I have spent quite a lot of time racing an older wooden yacht of the same vintage as Dorade in non classic events, and it was a lot of fun.  Still.... I would rather have Brilliant, you can really party on that boat. 

#3 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

I spent a few hours with Olin not too long before his passing. We talked a bit about his "favorite" designs, and Dorade was certainly one of them. Brilliant didn't make it into the conversation as I recall.

#4 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,402 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

I attended a talk at Mystic and Olin was one of the speakers.

I gave my talk. Imagine talking on yacht design with Olin Stephens sitting 18 feet away.

Then some kids did a group talk on BRILLIANT and they gushed over what a "magical ship she is".

Olin got up and said, "When I see BRILLIANT I just see an old boat. I can't believe they never changed that steering arrangement."

He immediately rose even higher in my eyes.

#5 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Dorade.  Hands down.

Attached Files

#6 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

I love Brilliant, but then I have 48 days of experience racing and cruising her, handling every crew position on her. The former skipper I sailed with, George Moffett (RIP, passed away much too soon), was one of the most interesting people I've ever met - which undoubtedly added to the Brilliant experience.

Never sailed on Dorade, but I'd be willing to go for a sail to choose a favorite ;-)

#7 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

If the steering station is all Olin wanted to change on Brilliant, then it would be Brilliant hands down. He changed a lot on Dorade to come up with Stormy Weather, which would be my pick of the three.

#8 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I wish I had written down everything Myron Spaulding told me about Dorade.

#9 djmnyc

djmnyc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

If the steering station is all Olin wanted to change on Brilliant, then it would be Brilliant hands down. He changed a lot on Dorade to come up with Stormy Weather, which would be my pick of the three.

+1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users