25 replies to this topic

#1 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

Meet Samantha Whistler Robbins. Far too often clubs do a great job at getting kids into junior sailing programs, but most tend to do a lousy job retaining them once they get into high school. Samantha is a classic example, grew up sailing 420’s, did the regatta circuit, but then stopped sailing once she got into college. Now that she is entering grad school this fall for rehabilitation counseling, she wondered if and how she could get back into sailing.

She heard about the Towne BMW Mini J70 Great Lakes Championship in early August at the Buffalo YC, and wanted to check it out. The prospect of being able to sail the club 420’s and J22’s sounded enticing to her, and maybe getting a ride on a J70 sounded pretty cool to her too. The lesson here: just find other recent college grads like Samantha who used to sail, but don’t any longer, and ask them if they want to get involved again.

If we get more women like Samantha sailing again, everything about sailing will improve. Enter the regatta here, and look for Samantha on a sexy sportboat. We don’t think she’ll be hard to miss!

Attached Files

#2 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

Wipe your chin Scot, you're dribbling!

#3 Marcjsmith

Marcjsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'd say something sexist,  but I won't....doesn't mean I'm not thinking it though....

I grew up sailing, sun fish, hobies, catalinas, hunters and odays...  sailed laser and 420 in college, and then got out of sailing.  something called life got in the way,  moved in-land,  no sailboats, not enough funds, ect, ect.   ended up picking up a thrashed albcore and sailed it for a couple years  before I blew out my back  and now the only thing I can sail is model boats.

I don't think many kids/younger people  realize  that they don't have to OWN a boat.  Just show up at the marina and start asking to crew...bringing refreshments  doesn't hurt either...talk to the skipper and let them know about your credentials...once folks starting seeing you around the marina  you become a familiar face  and its much easier to ask favors or ask to borrow a club boat for an event...and such...

#4 Racing Winnebago

Racing Winnebago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'd say something sexist,  but I won't....doesn't mean I'm not thinking it though....

I grew up sailing, sun fish, hobies, catalinas, hunters and odays...  sailed laser and 420 in college, and then got out of sailing.  something called life got in the way,  moved in-land,  no sailboats, not enough funds, ect, ect.   ended up picking up a thrashed albcore and sailed it for a couple years  before I blew out my back  and now the only thing I can sail is model boats.

I don't think many kids/younger people  realize  that they don't have to OWN a boat.  Just show up at the marina and start asking to crew...bringing refreshments  doesn't hurt either...talk to the skipper and let them know about your credentials...once folks starting seeing you around the marina  you become a familiar face  and its much easier to ask favors or ask to borrow a club boat for an event...and such...

Indeed -- like you grew up racing a Cal 2-27 and El Toro's, bit of Lasers, but no sailing during college. After college, I lived in DC (your town?). Certainly didn't have a boat. Put my number up on the National Sailing Club board. Got a call from Doc Gilbert, dean emeritus of the Potomac Lightning fleet. Raced with him for a couple of years, then with Christy Dillard.

Man I had fun! Three-man boat with spinnaker. All thanks to the generosity of Doc. I was one of many who benefited from that. And, since he loved to race, he did too. May his example inspire us all to inspire the next generation.

#5 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

Indeed -- like you grew up racing a Cal 2-27 and El Toro's, bit of Lasers, but no sailing during college. After college, I lived in DC (your town?). Certainly didn't have a boat. Put my number up on the National Sailing Club board. Got a call from Doc Gilbert, dean emeritus of the Potomac Lightning fleet. Raced with him for a couple of years, then with Christy Dillard.

Man I had fun! Three-man boat with spinnaker. All thanks to the generosity of Doc. I was one of many who benefited from that. And, since he loved to race, he did too. May his example inspire us all to inspire the next generation.

Somewhat ironic you should mention Lightnings, because Samantha's cousin is David Starck, current Lightning World champ.  And David does a ton to promote sailing, probably works harder at running regattas, clinics and junior stuff then he does his own sailing.  Running the Snipe Nationals this week, in fact.

#6 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

Calendar??

#7 Shaw-650

Shaw-650

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

you put the sexy in the wrong spot...... surely you are not referring to a J70 that way...

#8 tim b

tim b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:sailing and UFC

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Last sentence in the story should be rewritten.

"We don’t think she’ll be hard to miss!"

or

"We don’t think she’ll be hard to spot"!

#9 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

The prospect of being able to sail the club 420’s and J22’s sounded enticing to her,

Honey,

A word of advice. Don't give yourself away cheaply. Take it from a gal that has been around the docks a few years. Telling Ed that club 420s and J22s sound enticing will introduce you to the sailboat equivalent of trailer trash. MC 38s and Foiling Moths sound "enticing" . You'll quickly find yourself in the company of a better quality crowd than the Ed.

#10 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

The prospect of being able to sail the club 420s and J22s sounded enticing to her,

Honey,

A word of advice. Don't give yourself away cheaply. Take it from a gal that has been around the docks a few years. Telling Ed that club 420s and J22s sound enticing will introduce you to the sailboat equivalent of trailer trash. MC 38s and Foiling Moths sound "enticing" . You'll quickly find yourself in the company of a better quality crowd than the Ed.

Maybe she's thinking even bigger like a Wally or gunboat.

#11 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

gott damn...

#12 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm in love

#13 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm in love

She doesn't look even close to desperate......................................or that sympathetic either :P

#14 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Last sentence in the story should be rewritten.

"We don’t think she’ll be hard to miss!"

or

"We don’t think she’ll be hard to spot"!

Yet another example Scot's razor sharp linguistic skills. Ha!    ("I am not a Journalist!"  (no kidding!))

#15 Dave L

Dave L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ah, to be young again...however, I wouldn't trade my "experienced" sailor chick (wife) for her.  You know how hard it is to break in new crew?  

#16 CAN217

CAN217

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

When I was on the board of our club, I realized that the average age at the club was closing in on retirement age.. I wanted to do something to keep the juniors sailing after they finished sailing school.  Two programs, dinghy racing using school 420s, the 420 club (yeah, I know) and match racing.  The dinghy racing attracts sailors from their late teens to well into their 50s.  It brings in new young members.  The match racing club uses two club owned J22s.  This is the first year with the boats (before, through a generous member, it used  2 Lightnings).  The club has over 25 members with an average age in the early 30s.

#17 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

test post..   Tried to quote and reply to this thread on new laptop, but wouldn't go through??

marcjsmith posted:

"I don't think many kids/younger people realize that they don't have to OWN a boat. Just show up at the marina and start asking to crew...bringing refreshments doesn't hurt either...talk to the skipper and let them know about your credentials...once folks starting seeing you around the marina you become a familiar face and its much easier to ask favors or ask to borrow a club boat for an event...and such..."

Racing sailboats is the least expensive and most fun sport on the planet (while fully clothed), bar none.  I do about 200 races a year on PHRF, Etchells and now Atlantics, and it only costs me the gas to drive to the venue, and sometimes a bottle of rum or a six pack.  OPB's is the only way to go...  (other peoples boats)

#18 RamonTPA

RamonTPA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Thursday Races, Coastal Cruising

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

There's a sailboat somewhere in the pic I'm told but I just don't see it...

#19 TomTraubert

TomTraubert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm in love

She doesn't look even close to desperate......................................or that sympathetic either :P

Truth in 11 words.

#20 Flyboy69

Flyboy69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...duhh and flying,hunting,fishing,photography, etc etc

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Definitely need a calander!!!  And, Jeeesuss! Welcome back to the sport!!

#21 evenflow

evenflow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

test post..   Tried to quote and reply to this thread on new laptop, but wouldn't go through??

marcjsmith posted:

"I don't think many kids/younger people realize that they don't have to OWN a boat. Just show up at the marina and start asking to crew...bringing refreshments doesn't hurt either...talk to the skipper and let them know about your credentials...once folks starting seeing you around the marina you become a familiar face and its much easier to ask favors or ask to borrow a club boat for an event...and such..."

Racing sailboats is the least expensive and most fun sport on the planet (while fully clothed), bar none.  I do about 200 races a year on PHRF, Etchells and now Atlantics, and it only costs me the gas to drive to the venue, and sometimes a bottle of rum or a six pack.  OPB's is the only way to go...  (other peoples boats)

Yes, someone needs to remind everyone they know that we always need more crew and that most owner's are pretty nice folks too; read - I buy my crew beer and wings!

#22 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

marcjsmith posted:

Yes, someone needs to remind everyone they know that we always need more crew and that most owner's are pretty nice folks too; read - I buy my crew beer and wings!

Neglected to mention that it's helpful to contribute as well.  Mates Etchells is parked in my yard off-season, his CC launch is at my dock; and I help with towing, mast up-downs, rigging and tuning.

But, I honestly can't think of another fun sport that literally costs you NOTHING to participate in, if you are willing to contribute a little to the team.  Lots of skippers wanting good crew that know how to race and will help some with the program....  Many skippers have left the game for lack of reliable and helpful regular crew.

#23 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'm in love

Truth in 11 words.

I think he was talking about his recently discovered left hand guys.

#24 Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Acquiring as many scars as is possible.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

For the longest time I have worried about the future of this sport. The cost of boats, insurance, mooring, the difficulty of people finding time away, the usual stuff. A couple of weeks ago we sailed in the Mobile YC's Summer Regatta and the clubhouse was over-run with young people. I mean, the GYA teams were full of twenty-somethings and teens and it felt good to see so many youngsters out on the water and racing.

In our case it is club-owned boats and a very active schedule that seem to appeal. The kids (to me they are kids)don't have to pay anything but a nominal fee as juniors or students, and they get to use the best equipment we've got. And now with boats like the VX1 coming on along the Gulf Coast I would imagine that many of those same young people will stay in the game and pursue boats of their own when they get that chance. Makes me feel better.

So yeah, this young lady Samantha is a nice looking girl, and she is draped rather seductively across whatever that is she's sitting on, but to me she represents more than looks. She represents a future for a sport that honestly I didn't think had much of one not too long ago. So good for her, and good for all of us, as well. I'd hate to see something I have dedicated my whole life to just disappear.

RD

#25 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

that is not a sporting boat but that sheila would be sport 

RD has it , sexy sport boats like the VX, Vipe and Shaw have more chance of enticing younger to sail,

the 70? ,,of course median age is up toward 60yo i think, they are changing out of J lead bellies is what i'm reading 

#26 The Shirt Lady

The Shirt Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

well for fucks sake right in my back yard (no pun intended pervs) pretty sure there could be some Sailing  Anarchy swag there. and most definitely pretty sure I can get a SCOTW to model some shirts at the regatta...and a 420 sailor to boot, got one, my 20 yr old son who learned out of the BYC and sails for Maritime now but is home for the summer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users