#1 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I just returned from a trip to Newport, R.I. where I met two of the Marstrom M32 owners, Marstrom designer Kare (sp?), and went for a sail on one of the Newport fleet's M32's around Conanicut Island. While I was promised shorts and t-shirt weather, an anomalous summertime nor'easter produced an 18kt breeze gusting close to 25kts and made for one very wet and exciting ride.  Everyone I met involved in the M32 was super cool.  And the boat itself, fucking awesome!  The thing is a rocketship, yet I really dig the simplicity of the unarig and the boat as a whole.  Despite the brisk conditions (for Newport) there was only one truly asshole puckering moment stuffing into the back of a wave.  But, the boat popped out just fine and off we went again.  Unfortunately no pictures or video as my camera phone would certainly have not survived.

So I want an M32... Am I nuts?  

The boat is pricey and the chances of getting my wife, 5-year-old, and 2-year-old out would be about nil. My racing experience is limited. Mostly I've done SoCal beer-can racing and some SoCal offshore races.  Always someone else's boat.  I owned a Nacra 5.2 for a few years and that's about the most fun I've had sailing (before this past Thursday).  I used to take it out of Ventura and run out to Anacapa Island.  I then moved to the SF bay area, bought a J24, and sailed that on the bay for a few years.  Again, no racing, but still a lot of fun.  Then I moved back to Los Angeles and was so bored sailing the J24 out of Marina Del Rey that I pretty much gave up sailing and focused on work and family and figuring out how to get back to the SF bay area for the next 10 years.  A year ago I was able to move my family back to the bay area and I've been sailing J105s and a J80 out of Berkeley's OCSC.  I'm having fun, but I want to get into racing, need to be able to do it on my schedule (need my own boat), and most importantly I have a burning desire for speed on the water that must be satisfied.

So, about the Marstrom M32... 

I'd like to do the BAMA Cup series locally and if the Miami event that the Marstrom guys are talking about comes together, I would probably do that too if I could swing it.  I figure based on my experience (or relative lack therof) that I would need a coach/pro on board for racing at least for a while.  However, I don't want to sail with paid hands long-term.  I'd also like to be able to take the boat out with friends after work and on weekends just for fun without it being a huge production or a risky affair, and without help.  I figure I would need an end-tie in Richmond or Alameda (I live in the East bay).  Richmond appeals to me more.  I think most owners dry-sail the boats, but I don't want to deal with that so I suppose I would need some sort of floating boat-lift setup.  I don't want to deal with a chase boat.  I'm hoping that this is not a practical requirement.  I'm not currently a yacht club member, but Richmond YC seems like the place to be if they'll have me.

Logistics are going to matter to me as I have limited time and resources.  I can't buy the boat and then spend 50% of the purchase price each year campaigning and fixing broken carbon bits.  This needs to be a mostly amateur affair with relatively simple logistics.

As for the family, if I bought a 5ktsb my wife would come out on the SF bay 1-2 times a year tops, so I'm not really factoring that in.  I wish I could justify a boat capable of some cruising, but with my work schedule for the foreseeable future, that isn't going to happen.  And, I figure in a few years a fast cat would be a better platform to hook my kids into sailing than a 5ktsb anyway.  How's that for rationalization?

I guess my question is, is my vision realistic?  Can I climb the learning curve relatively quickly with an overpowered beast on the SF Bay without killing myself or anyone else?  Can I do it without a truckload of broken high-modulus carbon bits?  Can I ultimately race and sail as an all amateur affair without a big budget and cute matching team outfits? 

Whadya think?

#2 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Just do it mate.If you can afford it then all the other stuff will fall into place.Rock up at any club and you will have 100 instant mates to help you out if there is a chance of a ride.

#3 stampede

stampede

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Just do it if you can afford it. But spend a second about going in two steps. Buy a F20 carbon for a year or two first and enhance your sailing skills. The F20C is not that much slower than the M32. There are some videos from sweden at YouTube which demonstrate that. The normal wear and tear of a M32 are thousands of $/y.Just think of the price for a new main as UV-Radiation destroys the sailcloth.

I own a F20c and think about stepping up as well.

greetings from germany

#4 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Do it. Do it now.

#5 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Just do it if you can afford it. But spend a second about going in two steps. Buy a F20 carbon for a year or two first and enhance your sailing skills. The F20C is not that much slower than the M32. There are some videos from sweden at YouTube which demonstrate that. The normal wear and tear of a M32 are thousands of $/y.Just think of the price for a new main as UV-Radiation destroys the sailcloth.

I own a F20c and think about stepping up as well.

greetings from germany

I think your logic is sound, but I was thinking a used F18 for 6 months as the trainer as opposed to an F20c for a year or two.  The price of the F20c would cover many years worth of sails on the M32.

#6 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

SA is the devil on my shoulder!

#7 stampede

stampede

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

a used F20c is a good buy. An F18 is not that overpowered like an F20c. The length and width will give you a totally different Feeling in sailing. And the speed is much different. That's important as you have to learn to bear away and push her in the waves hard. Two different pair of shoes for sure.

#8 munt

munt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

That Marstrom is truly about as nice as a boat can be but here's a thought:
call up Randy Reynolds and have him put together a new XS 35/R33 for you. The advantages are numerous but some include the ability to overnight and have a cozy shelter with bunks and potties, the ability to customize the boat (beam, mast height, sails) to your desires, much cheaper to buy and operate, can be as fast or tame as you want to make it, more versatile for overnighting etc. You could even pop on a set of carbon wings. I did a Catalina Island race on a new XS 35 with the canted hulls and reverse bows and I must say, it was an outstanding piece of kit. For S,F. I'd make mine about 17 feet of beam, stubby rig with a variety of headsails on furlers, curved boards, carbon wings on hinges. The other advantage being that the XS is built like a brick shithouse and you won't be buying new carbon bits every week.

#9 munt

munt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

#10 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Sail budget isn't that bad, especially with a unirig. Coat of ownership should be next to nothing. It'll be a powered up boat for SF, but you only live once.

Personally, I think it's too small and light for the Caribbean. My F40 is about as small as I'd want for my neck of the woods. But inshore? It should be great.

#11 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm drawn by the simplicity of the unarig and the super clean design of the Marstrom.

The XS35 does look like fun though and undoubtedly would make more sense for the family.  Thanks for the suggestion.

What about dry sailing?  How important is it to keep these boats out of the water?  Bottom paint seems like it would be a crime, but I don't want hours of setup to go sailing.  What are others doing?  Anybody using floating lifts?

#12 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Anything that flys

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I raced in 09, won line honors in both the Farallon Island races and It ran $10k for the year. I believe partnerships are the only way to go and the insurance company's allow 3 owners with no surcharges. On that note the M32 will allow you to be in the top 6 in SFB, it will hurt when you flip it over, and a used Reynolds 33 will do the same job (but at the bottom of the 6). I would love to partner my 38' racing cat with a 55' carbon Marstrom mast and lot's of goodies but I have 0 interest so far. $33k would buy 1/3 and that would leave a $25k in the kitty. She has a brand new $8k carbon screecher,new tramps and is a true offshore racing catamaran (extremely difficult to flip). She can sleep at least 4. I have sanded her down 6 times and she is ready for paint, I will never put a boat in the water again without a partner, it is too much work and money for one person. We live in a new economy and this was always the best way to go, besides those silly trophy's have room for more than one name. See "Nice Pair" on youtube and I will post on SA today.  PS For the price of a M32 I can buy a r33 or a 38' Super Shockwave,  200mph airplane,  new Ducati multistrada,  new car for the wife, two Yamaha wr450 dirtbikes, couple of Yamaha 450 rapter quads, have enough to pay for a cleaning lady for the house for a year and enough to take my wife out to a nice dinner on the beach with her new car. JUST SAYING.

#13 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

The M32 definitely ain't cheap, but it's not half as pricey as you are suggesting either.

Regarding partnerships, these have been a very mixed bag for me in the past. Never had a boat partnership though. Who pays if the boat is damaged? Insurance hopefully, but that doesn't always work out. How do you decide what sails to buy and which upgrades to make? What if you don't agree. How do you decide the race schedule and who can use the boat otherwise?

Lots of advantages cost-wise obviously but I would need to know my partner really well before jumping in bed.

#14 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

There is a very clean Inter 20 for sale in the Bay Area.  I would get that and then make the move to the Marstom once I was sure this is what I want and ahve a consistent list of dedicated crew.... 

#15 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Come down to see the F18 fleet in Redwood City. We will fill out the crew roster for you. Can also get you a ride on the F18's to get you in the multihull arena.

#16 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

Thanks Richard.  I will PM you and take you up on that offer.

#17 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

DOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

It's only overpowered if you put the full size sails on and it's windy, why not start with smaller or super flat sails? Must be a stack of older sails off smaller F boats to play with

#18 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Fast multis and bikes and...

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

The overpower issue; just reef it - as a Marstrom the systems works perfect and easy. Lots of wind - just go with one or two reefs and just the main - think it can take quite a lot with two reefs.

#19 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

I don't know the SF area very well, but dry sailing it off its trailer shouldn't be too hard. Leave the mast up and rigged in a lot by a ramp. You'd want to secure the boat to the ground, but that should be easily overcome.

#20 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,052 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Chase down the owner of the SL33 - I've got his contact info - PM me for it.  He can tell you about getting the boat bay-proof, the level of crew needed, etc.  

It's a big challenge, no doubt, but with good planning and getting the right crew, you could likely do it.  Keep it on the hard or in the water at Ballena Bay. If you keep it in the water, some sort of lift system is great. See again the solution the SL33 has, or the solution a couple M23 tris have created.

#21 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Chase down the owner of the SL33 - I've got his contact info - PM me for it.  He can tell you about getting the boat bay-proof, the level of crew needed, etc.  

It's a big challenge, no doubt, but with good planning and getting the right crew, you could likely do it.  Keep it on the hard or in the water at Ballena Bay. If you keep it in the water, some sort of lift system is great. See again the solution the SL33 has, or the solution a couple M23 tris have created.

PM sent.

#22 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Do it if you can afford it, but I think you're underestimating the costs of owning and running this type of boat. A M32 is no place to mess around with inexperienced crew, and having a paid pro on board at all times is probably a cheaper investment than replacement carbon bits from halfway around the world. Overnight freight from Sweden isn't cheap. Also I'm not sure what a M32 suit of sails costs but I'm betting it is a bit closer to the price of a Nacra F20c than you may be thinking. Plus there is replacement time. Lead time on a replacement main for the 43' trimaran I occasionally sail on is 6 months. Granted it's a custom sail I'm sure a M32 sail is closer to a 3 month lead time but it's not something I would want to be without. So really you need 2 sets of sails, the cruising/practice sails and the racing sails. 

In the bay area I agree getting a F18 probably makes more sense than a F20C. Still going to learn a lot and you have a racing fleet. The top F18 guys are really fast now and will be better training partners, potential crew etc. than rolling solo on a similar boat but with no racing fleet.

#23 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

carefully think of all options before jumping. I had a 33' mono never really sailed it much as it was uninspiring, ended up with a 40' cat and sail it a lot due to the satisfaction of speed dry ride and general comfort. Also have a nacra which I take to the occasional regatta but generally sail the 40' due to the above mentioned attributes plus you can take inexperienced crew out easily. F18 racing around the buoys is the best way of learning and honing multihull racing skills.
I would put the M32 with the Nacra, on the edge sailing, wet, wild great fun but....... I would also think a fairly dry boat for sf bay and its cold water would be desirable. if I was looking at a race boat I would consider a partnership as well. Nice Pair may be old but those old crowthers had a nice hull shape and you don't have to worry about crew and can learn from others. Have a full written agreement before entering a partnership with a buy out clause.

#24 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Thanks all for your advice.  I will report back soon.

Randy

#25 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

So...              I pulled the trigger on the Marstrom M32.  I am stoked!

#26 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nice....

#27 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Fuck yeah!

I just saw my 1st one in Kotor, Montenegro yesterday. Love at first sight.

I WANT!

#28 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

The logistics plan is to keep the boat in Richmond Marina in a slip but out of the water on ballasted floats.  I'll use a Torqueedo outboard for maneuvering in and out of the slip.  That's the plan at least. 

The not make an ass of myself on the water plan is to use an F18 as a training platform and hit it hard.

#29 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,052 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Wait - they gave you a slip!  The bastards at Brickyard Cove wouldn't even talk to me!  Unless you mean Marina Bay.  If Marina Bay - when the summer westerly is on it's a little nerve racking sailing the tight reach against the breakwater on the way out, but that boat should be very close winded and it should be fine.  The biggest issue I had docking there was slowing the boat down enough as it can blow through the marina pretty good.

Awesome ride.

#30 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Wait - they gave you a slip!  The bastards at Brickyard Cove wouldn't even talk to me!  Unless you mean Marina Bay.  If Marina Bay - when the summer westerly is on it's a little nerve racking sailing the tight reach against the breakwater on the way out, but that boat should be very close winded and it should be fine.  The biggest issue I had docking there was slowing the boat down enough as it can blow through the marina pretty good.

Awesome ride.

I mean Marina Bay, although I have an inquiry into Brickyard Cove Marina.  Anybody know if Richmond YC has end ties available?  Doubt it, but seems like a good club.

I am concerned about the breeze coming through Marina Bay.  The alternative for me would be Alameda but I don't want to deal with being 7-8 miles from the central bay with most of that up/down a narrow channel.

#31 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,052 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

RYC has nothing available in that size range, but doesn't hurt to try.  They are pretty packed up.

Berkeley might have some side ties available.

A few of us ended up in Ballena Bay as it's a quicker(downwind, moderate breeze) delivery back home compared to the Alameda channel.  It seems to be a multi-hull hangout now.

#32 F18 VB

F18 VB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

The not make an ass of myself on the water plan is to use an F18 as a training platform and hit it hard.

When do you plan to have the F18? There is going to be a AC Open event off Marina Green on Aug 25th. It would be a good time to meet the F18 fleet and see what you are in for.

#33 ejpoulsen

ejpoulsen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Put the Delta Ditch Run on your schedule with the M32!

#34 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Delta Ditch Run is definitely on the schedule!

At least one of the guys from the Newport M32 fleet said they were planning on coming out too.

#35 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

When do you plan to have the F18? There is going to be a AC Open event off Marina Green on Aug 25th. It would be a good time to meet the F18 fleet and see what you are in for.

PM sent.

#36 ejpoulsen

ejpoulsen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

At least one of the guys from the Newport M32 fleet said they were planning on coming out too.

There's a handful of fast multis that do it, but the M32 could definitely be a contender for line honors.

#37 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Got my new toy and I'm super pumped!

Attached File  IMG_20130904_093334_078 - Copy (1024x576).jpg   414.18K   256 downloads

It took my brother and me a day and half to assemble it and put it in the water.  Neither of us had ever assembled anything close so we ended up doing everything at least twice.  Even so, it was pretty damn slick getting the rig up and the boat in the water without a crane.

Attached File  IMG_20130904_094955_400 - Copy (1024x576).jpg   503.2K   242 downloads

Without a doubt the trampoline was the biggest pain.  We spent hours on it and couldn't get half the tension I would like.  I'm sure there is a trick to it, but we couldn't figure it out.  Today Hansen Rigging re-did it for me but I couldn't be there to watch how he did it.  What's the secret!?  Trampoline aside, now having put the boat together once, next time will undoubtedly be much much quicker.

I took Occams Razor's advice and put the boat at Ballena Isle Marina instead of Marina Bay.  Boat is in the water now but I'm working on getting it on a lift system asap.  Sailed the 1nm from the launch ramp to the marina on Wednesday, but first real sail will be this Sunday.  I've got a ton of learning to do, but I'm stoked.

#38 bobber

bobber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

That was quick! Is it a new boat from the factory?

#39 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

That was quick! Is it a new boat from the factory?

New to me, but not from the factory.  I bought Ken Read's boat since he couldn't race this summer with his AC obligations.  I understand he'll have a new one by next year.  This was a way for me to not have to wait that long and I jumped at the opportunity to be on the water this season.  Both Ken and the Marstrom factory guys have been extremely helpful and supportive so far.

#40 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Congrats. Enjoy.

#41 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

thats fantastic! Let us know how mere mortals get on with it, Cant wait for 5-10 years time when all these cool multis drop into my price range.

#42 Sail_FAU

Sail_FAU

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Congrats!  It's been cool seeing them in Newport this summer.  I'm in the Bay Area until Monday night if you need a crew on Sunday!

#43 munt

munt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

that is one beautiful work of art. looks like s.f. is going to be the new hub of the multiverse.

#44 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_20130904_093334_078 - Copy (1024x576).jpg

It took my brother and me a day and half to assemble it and put it in the water.  Neither of us had ever assembled anything close so we ended up doing everything at least twice.  Even so, it was pretty damn slick getting the rig up and the boat in the water without a crane.

attachicon.gifIMG_20130904_094955_400 - Copy (1024x576).jpg

Without a doubt the trampoline was the biggest pain.  We spent hours on it and couldn't get half the tension I would like.  I'm sure there is a trick to it, but we couldn't figure it out.  Today Hansen Rigging re-did it for me but I couldn't be there to watch how he did it.  What's the secret!?  Trampoline aside, now having put the boat together once, next time will undoubtedly be much much quicker.

I took Occams Razor's advice and put the boat at Ballena Isle Marina instead of Marina Bay.  Boat is in the water now but I'm working on getting it on a lift system asap.  Sailed the 1nm from the launch ramp to the marina on Wednesday, but first real sail will be this Sunday.  I've got a ton of learning to do, but I'm stoked.

That looks like Ken's 32 from Newport.

#45 IanMac5873

IanMac5873

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

very nice! heres a shot i took of your boat racing on narragansett bay a few weeks ago. 

http://www.flickr.co...N05/9691907887/

#46 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

very nice! heres a shot i took of your boat racing on narragansett bay a few weeks ago. 

http://www.flickr.co...N05/9691907887/

Thanks! Very cool.  I hope to get a lot more with the g.g bridge in the background.

attachicon.gifIMG_20130904_093334_078 - Copy (1024x576).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20130904_094955_400 - Copy (1024x576).jpg

That looks like Ken's 32 from Newport.

Yup.. That's the one.

#47 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

Thanks all.  Now just need to go fast and keep the stick pointed skyward.

#48 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thanks all.  Now just need to go fast and keep the stick pointed skyward.

It's that keeping it skyward that is important:)

#49 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Awesome first sail today!  Managed to keep the stick pointed skyward and definitely sailed fast (when not stuck in irons learning how to tack again). 

#50 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,052 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

very cool

#51 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Fast multis and bikes and...

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Awesome first sail today!  Managed to keep the stick pointed skyward and definitely sailed fast (when not stuck in irons learning how to tack again). 

If u make a leg over the AC course tomorrow you can be famous... 

#52 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

If u make a leg over the AC course tomorrow you can be famous... 

"Race delayed for capsized catamaran drifting down the course..."  Not the fame I would be looking for.

25kts gusting to 30 in the central bay today didn't seem like an ideal learning environment for my first day out, or second day.  I'll be hanging out south of the Bay Bridge for a little while.  

#53 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I know I'm not entirely objective here, but seeing the M32 race is the most exciting sailing I've ever seen, even compared to VOR and ExSS. At leat until ETNZ and ORA lined up this weekend :-)

Also a fantastic boat to sail.

I know there's been some discussions on the M32 vs other foiling cats with jibs. After seeing the results from Centomiglia - Lago di Garda I think we can put that discussion to rest.

1 M32 HAGAR III, Gregor Stimpfl 08.34.47 

2 M32 itelligence, Helge Sach 08.38.43 
3 M2 TEAM.COM, Andreas Hagara 09.00.30 
4 GC32 Marwin, Flavio Marazzi 09.17.26 
5 GC32 Spax Solution, Lenne Laurent 09.56.47

PS. On wind strength, I would put 24 knots as an upper limit. To give you some idea here's some footage when all teams topped 28-29 knots in 24-26 knots of breeze. Fun, but really on the edge.

#54 stampede

stampede

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

i have been out on lake Garda during the race. There was only very calm winds during the morning with absolutely windless areas during noon time on the lake. The M32 and the GC32 are complete different boats (compare hullshape, weight, rig, etc), so the light conditions during the race has favoured the M32. When you see both beauties close together it's obvious.

cheers from germany

#55 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

It will be interesting seeing the two obnoxious 32/33' orange/red cats going to battle on the bay via the StFYC cam.

Color me envious.

By the way, Randy, you really need to put that new boat in your avatar.

#56 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

It will be interesting seeing the two obnoxious 32/33' orange/red cats going to battle on the bay via the StFYC cam.

Color me envious.

By the way, Randy, you really need to put that new boat in your avatar.

First I need to venture into the central bay, then I need somebody to take a picture.  Neither has happened yet.

#57 Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Randy, before you change that avatar, what is the picture you have now? It looks like a giant, wing masted laser.

#58 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Randy, before you change that avatar, what is the picture you have now? It looks like a giant, wing masted laser.

Your guess is spot on.  It's an old Laser II fitted with a camber-inducing freestanding wig-mast.  I discussed it here: http://forums.sailin...view=getnewpost

Before buying the M32 I was debating whether to continue developing the wingmast on a larger platform or go with M32.  I didn't have the money or time for both and ultimately decided the M32 would be my ticket.  The engineer in me felt a little guilty for having an idea and not pursuing it to its end, but all that was forgotten Sunday when we unfurled the gennaker and took off at ludicrous speed.

17696-LUDICROUS_SPEED-Theyre_going_plaid

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,669 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

congrats Randy.  Very cool to follow the thread!

#60 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

A couple pics from our first sail.  Hopefully better pictures/video soon.

Attached File  P9080061.jpg   176.04K   91 downloads

Attached File  P9080067.jpg   167.7K   117 downloads

Attached File  P9080075.jpg   195.42K   84 downloads

#61 SFbayForMe

SFbayForMe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

The logistics plan is to keep the boat in Richmond Marina in a slip but out of the water on ballasted floats.  I'll use a Torqueedo outboard for maneuvering in and out of the slip.  That's the plan at least. 

Congrats on the plunge. There is an F18 regatta in your backyard on Sept 21-22, hosted by Richmond YC

http://www.regattane...tom_report_id=2

#62 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Sailed on the M32 yesterday..... Quite a nice bit of kit. Wasn't blowing hard but you can tell the platform is quite well behaved. Simple setup upwind without a headsail and plenty of smiles when the gennaker is unfurled.

#63 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

First practice sail for Rolex Big Boat Series yesterday afternoon.  We stayed South of the Bay Bridge but still had 18-20kts and an ebb tide to contend with for the whole session.  It was lumpy and a wet ride, but the boat tolerated our abuse.

We're still very much in the mode of figuring the boat out, but when it felt right we were doing 15kts upwind and tacking through 90 degrees.  We almost certainly should have had a reef in, but didn't.  Downwind we had some trouble with the gennaker halyard clutch slipping in the bigger breeze and gave up on the gennaker for the day but still managed some steady 24kts runs with just the main, A-cat style.  The last boat I owned was a J24, so while the AC boys might be doing 40kts, this boat feels shockingly fast to me.

Our tacks and gybes mostly sucked and are going to take some work.  We'll get there. Also had trouble getting the gennaker up and down without dragging it in the drink.  I'm still not sure what the technique is going to be that will work here.  It looks like the Newport and Sweden fleets are sailing short courses and leave the gennaker up all the time.  That won't work for us.

More practice planned for this weekend.  Hopefully we'll get ourselves sorted out in time to give Bridgerunner a run for their money.  I know Urs has some new tricks up his sleeve, so we'll see what happens.  In any event, this is about the most guilty pleasure I've ever had. 

My brother promised to upload the GoPro footage, so video coming soon.

Between the ebb tide, the AC, and the 18-20kt breeze we decided to stay south of the Bay Bridge.  Even so it was plenty lumpy.  We should have had a reef in, but didn't.  We had a couple exciting moments, but the boat was well behaved.

but we we're doing 15kts upwind tacking through 90 degrees and 

#64 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Congratulations to Randy on jumping in at the deep end.

It is quite remarkable to go from the first 'bad cat' experience to sailing on SF Bay at 24kn on your own cat in less than two months!

*and* signing up for Rolex Big Boat Series...

Hopefully we'll get ourselves sorted out in time to give Bridgerunner a run for their money.  I know Urs has some new tricks up his sleeve, so we'll see what happens.

New tricks wont make it on time for Big Boat Series. Old tricks will have to do.

It will be so boring...

;-)

MOD 70 has signed up; there's a boat to beat to the finish!

#65 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

If 1 guy hoists and another makes a hoop with his arms should be ok in control, bringing it down just muscle it on the tramp, big weightnand windage savving but lash it upwind to keep water from sweepingmit over, luff tension is good, try not to let the furler bang on the carbon

#66 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Congratulations to Randy on jumping in at the deep end.

It is quite remarkable to go from the first 'bad cat' experience to sailing on SF Bay at 24kn on your own cat in less than two months!

*and* signing up for Rolex Big Boat Series...

Hopefully we'll get ourselves sorted out in time to give Bridgerunner a run for their money.  I know Urs has some new tricks up his sleeve, so we'll see what happens.

New tricks wont make it on time for Big Boat Series. Old tricks will have to do.

It will be so boring...

;-)

MOD 70 has signed up; there's a boat to beat to the finish!

Would not have been possible without your help and a number of other SAers.

BBS should be awesome!

#67 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

If 1 guy hoists and another makes a hoop with his arms should be ok in control, bringing it down just muscle it on the tramp, big weightnand windage savving but lash it upwind to keep water from sweepingmit over, luff tension is good, try not to let the furler bang on the carbon

Thanks.

We will keep working on it.

#68 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

A few pics from Rolex Big Boat Series:

Attached File  P1040554 (1024x683).jpg   478.11K   109 downloads

Attached File  10941307777885290498 (800x531).jpg   225.71K   131 downloads

Attached File  P1070078 (800x533).jpg   290.15K   98 downloads

This was my first major regatta ever.  I had crewed on a J105 for Long Beach Race Week, crewed on various boats for the Wednesday night beer can series out of Marina Del Rey, done a few distance races with friends, but nothing like this.  The last time I skippered a boat in a big regatta the boat was a sabot.

My reactions:

1. Holy shit, racing is expensive.

2. Racing the M32 in the BBS is almost as good as sex.

The event was an awesome experience and I'm already thinking about next year.

In terms of results, we were thoroughly punished for having so little practice and time in the boat.  I had a great crew, and we improved dramatically everyday, but the learning curve was just too steep for us for this year.

My starts sucked.  We started one race going backwards. I definitely need a lot of improvement there.  Our gennaker handling and tacks and gybes improved day-by-day.  By the end of the regatta, our maneuvers were no longer killing us.  We managed to break three battens and then break our bowsprit during the second race Saturday.  We finished the race A-cat style and sailed without the kite on Sunday too.  The boat actually sails great without a kite, but that incident was still effectively the end of the regatta for us.  On Friday we missed one start because we were in the middle of taking in a reef when the warning gun fired and just couldn't get the reef in fast enough.  Oh well.  Next year we'll be ready.

Some highlights for me:

- On day 1, tactician Patrick Whitmarsh making the call to go way right both races and us crossing the Extreme 40 and almost crossing the MOD70 at the top of the first leg.

- Repeatedly starting late and then grinding in and passing the SL33 going to weather.

- Insane pace the whole regatta.  We were blazing fast up and down the course.  Our top recorded speed was 32 kts.  Out best 10s average was 28kts.  Upwind we were sailing a consistent 15kts.  Of course we generally started behind or let everybody pass with abysmal roundings, but fast is fun.  Everybody look out next year.

Congrats to Urs and the Bridgerunner crew for winning our division and sailing great and with consistency.

Thank you Urs for helping me get ready for the event and hooking me up with guys way better than me so that we could safely get around the course.  We wouldn't have even been at the start without your help, let alone finishing 6 of 7 races.

#69 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

^ Photo credits:John Navas and Erik Simonson

Thanks!

#70 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Insane pace the whole regatta.  We were blazing fast up and down the course.  Our top recorded speed was 32 kts.  Out best 10s average was 28kts.  Upwind we were sailing a consistent 15kts.  Of course we generally started behind or let everybody pass with abysmal roundings, but fast is fun.  Everybody look out next year.

Wow. Sounds like a great regatta!!! And as far as I know 32 knots is the speed to beat for the other M32 crews  :D

#71 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

attachicon.gifP1040554 (1024x683).jpg

attachicon.gif10941307777885290498 (800x531).jpg

attachicon.gifP1070078 (800x533).jpg

This was my first major regatta ever.  I had crewed on a J105 for Long Beach Race Week, crewed on various boats for the Wednesday night beer can series out of Marina Del Rey, done a few distance races with friends, but nothing like this.  The last time I skippered a boat in a big regatta the boat was a sabot.

My reactions:

In terms of results, we were thoroughly punished for having so little practice and time in the boat.  I had a great crew, and we improved dramatically everyday, but the learning curve was just too steep for us for this year.

My starts sucked.  We started one race going backwards. I definitely need a lot of improvement there.  Our gennaker handling and tacks and gybes improved day-by-day.  By the end of the regatta, our maneuvers were no longer killing us.  We managed to break three battens and then break our bowsprit during the second race Saturday.  We finished the race A-cat style and sailed without the kite on Sunday too.  The boat actually sails great without a kite, but that incident was still effectively the end of the regatta for us.  On Friday we missed one start because we were in the middle of taking in a reef when the warning gun fired and just couldn't get the reef in fast enough.  Oh well.  Next year we'll be ready.

Some highlights for me:

- On day 1, tactician Patrick Whitmarsh making the call to go way right both races and us crossing the Extreme 40 and almost crossing the MOD70 at the top of the first leg.

- Repeatedly starting late and then grinding in and passing the SL33 going to weather.

- Insane pace the whole regatta.  We were blazing fast up and down the course.  Our top recorded speed was 32 kts.  Out best 10s average was 28kts.  Upwind we were sailing a consistent 15kts.  Of course we generally started behind or let everybody pass with abysmal roundings, but fast is fun.  Everybody look out next year.

Congrats to Urs and the Bridgerunner crew for winning our division and sailing great and with consistency.

Thank you Urs for helping me get ready for the event and hooking me up with guys way better than me so that we could safely get around the course.  We wouldn't have even been at the start without your help, let alone finishing 6 of 7 races.

Congratulations and welcome! Now we just need obvious graphics so folks realize we have a building fleet of fast orangey/red 30ish ft long fast cats with racks.  :D

#72 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Congrats. Keep it up.

#73 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

attachicon.gifP1040554 (1024x683).jpg

attachicon.gif10941307777885290498 (800x531).jpg

attachicon.gifP1070078 (800x533).jpg

My reactions:

Some highlights for me:

Nice work Randy!! Good looking ride and FAST IS FUN!! ;-) Racing big events does get expensive but its a whole lot of fun too.

#74 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

awesome, sounds like your having a great time, while learning lots...

Great boat choice.

#75 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

First time double-handing the M32.  The plan was to motor from Ballena Isle Marina over to Svendsen's to pull the boat out and inspect the rig and do a little work.  SA'er solosailor made me a cool little mount for my Torqeedo and I figured if we left early and were careful with the throttle we would have just enough juice to make it.  

Well, conditions were too perfect not to sail, so we did.  Here's a short vid and some pics double-handing the M32 this morning.  It was a good time.  After today I'd like to do some double-handed racing.  Just need to watch the forecast and bug-out if conditions are anything other than mild like today.

1468722_10202420173333851_1613090606_n.j

1470280_10202420173493855_1949376128_n.j

1394120_10202420174333876_23370552_n.jpg

#76 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Jealous. That's a great boat.

#77 andyxs

andyxs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

fricken cool!!! very jealous

#78 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ever need a set of hands I'm available Randy.

#79 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

I am having fun, but blasting around the Virgin Islands on a Formula 40 doesn't seem like a terrible way to go either. 

#80 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

fricken cool!!! very jealous

There's plenty of room for more on the bay...

#81 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

I am having fun, but blasting around the Virgin Islands on a Formula 40 doesn't seem like a terrible way to go either. 

We are actually in the Canaries on a GB waiting for the start of the ARC, but we'll be back in the VI soon enough. Standing offer to come for a sail if you're ever around.

Keep posting your adventures!

#82 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

We are actually in the Canaries on a GB waiting for the start of the ARC, but we'll be back in the VI soon enough. Standing offer to come for a sail if you're ever around.

Keep posting your adventures!

Okay now I'm jealous!

Drop me a line if you are ever in SF.

#83 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

My M32 is somewhere in Texas on its way cross-country to Miami for an M32 winter series.  I'm pumped and feel like sharing:

Attached File  En route to Miami.jpg   59.17K   69 downloads

I found my shipper on UShip.  The guy was highly rated and all, but was like a character from Shipping Wars.  I had him send me the picture above.  It looks like he picked up some side loads because I don't remember his van being so tail-heavy when he left.  In any event, the boat is supposed to get there Tuesday so fingers crossed...

Regarding the sailing, I'm looking forward to 80 degree water and one-design racing. I think all of the Newport boats are expected.  For the "Gold Cup" event in early March, it looks like a decent portion of the Europe fleet will be coming out too.  Should be awesome!  I'm hoping for lots of wind as I figure that's going to be my SF crew's best shot against the professional European teams.  Nothing really posted online yet, but the organizers are working on logistics and details. There may be some charter opportunities if people are interested.  Let me know and I'll pass you on to the right people.

Aside from warm water, I'm looking at this M32 winter series as a chance to improve and better learn the boat.  Most of the racing will be short courses so I've got no choice but to improve my starts.  When the series is over I want to bring the boat back home in the Spring and be ready to school the BAMA fleet next year  :P

Racing starts next weekend and I've got a new GoPro so hopefully I'll have some decent pics and videos to share.

Randy

#84 anqshirts

anqshirts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:guess

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

wow, looks like a great time! i'm curious if you'd share (ballpark) what it cost to ship to miami...i am considering a trip to the bahamas in my f27 and would consider having someone else haul the boat for the added time I could spend there...btw...awesome ride!

#85 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

wow, looks like a great time! i'm curious if you'd share (ballpark) what it cost to ship to miami...i am considering a trip to the bahamas in my f27 and would consider having someone else haul the boat for the added time I could spend there...btw...awesome ride!

Thanks anqshirts!

Regarding hauling, there was no way I could take a week to drive to Miami and another week to drive back in the Spring.  Just taking the time to do the series was already a stretch.  I wanted to use a boat mover that regularly moves race boats for regattas and I had some personal references for a couple.  Unfortunately their pricing came in double and triple what I found on Uship.com.  On Uship I have generally found independent truckers that were fully insured and licensed, with lots of great reviews willing to move boats on trailers for under $1/mile.  The guy I went with was not the cheapest bid, but I booked him at $2800 for Alameda to Miami.

It does make me nervous not knowing anybody personally that's used these guys, but I still expect the boat will be delivered tomorrow undamaged.

#86 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thanks anqshirts!

Regarding hauling, there was no way I could take a week to drive to Miami and another week to drive back in the Spring.  Just taking the time to do the series was already a stretch.  I wanted to use a boat mover that regularly moves race boats for regattas and I had some personal references for a couple.  Unfortunately their pricing came in double and triple what I found on Uship.com.  On Uship I have generally found independent truckers that were fully insured and licensed, with lots of great reviews willing to move boats on trailers for under $1/mile.  The guy I went with was not the cheapest bid, but I booked him at $2800 for Alameda to Miami.

It does make me nervous not knowing anybody personally that's used these guys, but I still expect the boat will be delivered tomorrow undamaged.

I've had good luck w USHIp on cars (3), diesel engine, saildrive etc. If you read the reviews and did some due diligence (as I did), you should be fine. The real deals are in flexible schedule waiting for an empty load to defray costs. Good luck!

#87 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

I just returned from a trip to Newport, R.I. where I met two of the Marstrom M32 owners, Marstrom designer Kare (sp?), and went for a sail on one of the Newport fleet's M32's around Conanicut Island. While I was promised shorts and t-shirt weather, an anomalous summertime nor'easter produced an 18kt breeze gusting close to 25kts and made for one very wet and exciting ride.  Everyone I met involved in the M32 was super cool.  And the boat itself, fucking awesome!  The thing is a rocketship, yet I really dig the simplicity of the unarig and the boat as a whole.  Despite the brisk conditions (for Newport) there was only one truly asshole puckering moment stuffing into the back of a wave.  But, the boat popped out just fine and off we went again.  Unfortunately no pictures or video as my camera phone would certainly have not survived.

The boat is pricey and the chances of getting my wife, 5-year-old, and 2-year-old out would be about nil. My racing experience is limited. Mostly I've done SoCal beer-can racing and some SoCal offshore races.  Always someone else's boat.  I owned a Nacra 5.2 for a few years and that's about the most fun I've had sailing (before this past Thursday).  I used to take it out of Ventura and run out to Anacapa Island.  I then moved to the SF bay area, bought a J24, and sailed that on the bay for a few years.  Again, no racing, but still a lot of fun.  Then I moved back to Los Angeles and was so bored sailing the J24 out of Marina Del Rey that I pretty much gave up sailing and focused on work and family and figuring out how to get back to the SF bay area for the next 10 years.  A year ago I was able to move my family back to the bay area and I've been sailing J105s and a J80 out of Berkeley's OCSC.  I'm having fun, but I want to get into racing, need to be able to do it on my schedule (need my own boat), and most importantly I have a burning desire for speed on the water that must be satisfied.

I'd like to do the BAMA Cup series locally and if the Miami event that the Marstrom guys are talking about comes together, I would probably do that too if I could swing it.  I figure based on my experience (or relative lack therof) that I would need a coach/pro on board for racing at least for a while.  However, I don't want to sail with paid hands long-term.  I'd also like to be able to take the boat out with friends after work and on weekends just for fun without it being a huge production or a risky affair, and without help.  I figure I would need an end-tie in Richmond or Alameda (I live in the East bay).  Richmond appeals to me more.  I think most owners dry-sail the boats, but I don't want to deal with that so I suppose I would need some sort of floating boat-lift setup.  I don't want to deal with a chase boat.  I'm hoping that this is not a practical requirement.  I'm not currently a yacht club member, but Richmond YC seems like the place to be if they'll have me.

Logistics are going to matter to me as I have limited time and resources.  I can't buy the boat and then spend 50% of the purchase price each year campaigning and fixing broken carbon bits.  This needs to be a mostly amateur affair with relatively simple logistics.

As for the family, if I bought a 5ktsb my wife would come out on the SF bay 1-2 times a year tops, so I'm not really factoring that in.  I wish I could justify a boat capable of some cruising, but with my work schedule for the foreseeable future, that isn't going to happen.  And, I figure in a few years a fast cat would be a better platform to hook my kids into sailing than a 5ktsb anyway.  How's that for rationalization?

I guess my question is, is my vision realistic?  Can I climb the learning curve relatively quickly with an overpowered beast on the SF Bay without killing myself or anyone else?  Can I do it without a truckload of broken high-modulus carbon bits?  Can I ultimately race and sail as an all amateur affair without a big budget and cute matching team outfits? 

Whadya think?

Reality check time! Get a ride on a F18 first. Shit happens really fast on cats.

You need to be asking your question here:  http://www.catsailor...&Board=1&page=1

#88 Sail_FAU

Sail_FAU

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'll be in Miami Dec 23 until Jan 1- would love to go for a sail if you will be around!

#89 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Tiki, your really late to the party...... :mellow:

#90 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

story of my life...

#91 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

I'll be in Miami Dec 23 until Jan 1- would love to go for a sail if you will be around!

I won't be around then, but another time certainly.

PM sent.

#92 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

Whadya think?

Reality check time! Get a ride on a F18 first. Shit happens really fast on cats.

You need to be asking your question here:  http://www.catsailor...&Board=1&page=1

I like SA, thanks.

I got the ride on the F18 months ago.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, including the swim in the bay that went with it.  The SF F18 guys are great.  Unfortunately, my attempt at explaining to my wife why I needed an F18 and an M32 was a total failure.  I was left with the choice of M32, F18, wife, pick two.  The F18 lost.

#93 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

Last weekend was the first event of the Marstrom M32 winter series.  I have to admit, sailing M32s in Miami in winter is sweet.  We’re launching right off the beach at the Miami Rowing Club and racing in Biscayne Bay.  It’s a pretty good setup for the boats.  The weather is perfect and we had wind every day.  I think the Newport guys were escaping snow and even in the East Bay of SF I had been scraping ice of my windshield in the morning for the week before heading to Miami.  80 degrees and girls in bikinis is not a bad thing in December.

We had 4 boats for the first event of our winter series.  Practice day on Friday. Saturday two practice starts and three races.  Sunday three races.  We hired Anderson Reggio as our PRO and he did an fantastic job.  We agreed on AC style reaching starts and 25 min two lap races.  You could hit the marks with no penalty (slalom ski racing style).

The reaching starts were awesome and were probably the highlight of the event for me.  We start at 20+ kts with everyone in close contact and maybe 30 seconds later we’re four wide at the reach mark deploying our gennakers and heating up to 25 kts.  It felt more like race car driving than sailing.  The boats are wide and things happen very fast.  You get half a boat length behind someone and in an instant you have to decide whether to sneak below and go for an overlap into the mark or try to get over them.  This is why I had my boat hauled 3000 miles, to race big cats (big to me at least) one-design at 25 kts.

That’s the good news.  The bad news is I dropped my rig and now it’s in three pieces.  WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING WRONG?

#94 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Below is everything I can recall regarding how the rig came down (basically my statement to the insurance guy).  Hope insurance comes through.  And seriously, any ideas on what I did wrong?

Statement

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 I was racing my Marstrom M32 catamaran in Biscayne Bay (near Miami, FL) in the M32 winter series.  Wind was 10-12 kts from the South.  Sea state was 1-2' wind waves and no swell.

The time of the incident was approximately 11:40 AM.

On board were:

Randy Miller (helmsman)

Crew 2 (tactician and gennaker trimmer)

Crew 3 (mainsail traveler)

Crew 4 (mainsheet trimmer)

Crew 5 (mast man)

At the time of the incident:

- We were sailing on port tack with a full main and gennaker deployed.  

- Our point of sail was between a broad reach and a run.  

- We were flying a hull under full control.

- Boat speed was between 20-25 kts.

- We were not maneuvering at the time.

- Three crew were on the windward hiking rack at the time (including me), two were on the windward hull.

I heard a loud bang from above.  As I looked up, the windward hull dropped down to the water.  Looking up I saw the tube of the mast buckling near the 2nd reef point halyard lock location.  The top section began folding over to leeward followed by all of the mast and rigging.  It appeared that all of the rigging was intact when we heard the bang, but the rigging began to fail and snap and as the mast came down and as it was bashing around in the water.

We may have overloaded the mast.  At the time, we had the gennaker deployed and sheeted in for max drive force.  However, we had the mast rotated, and had just lowered the mainsail traveller about halfway down its track.  We had done this to de-power the mainsail so that we could sail a higher course without being over-powered as we had overstood the leeward gate by a bit.  At the time the mast was rotated relative to the mainsail.  It is possible that without the full support of the mainsail leech tension in-line with the gennaker luff and halyard that the gennaker halyard overloaded the mast.  The gennaker halyard exits the mast at a point well above the hounds, so without full support from the mainsail, the mast effectively cantilevers from the hounds to the gennaker halyard.

Nobody was injured during the mast failure as the mast came down.  As soon as we knew that everyone was okay, we set to work recovering the mast, rigging, and sails.  A number of small boats in the area quickly converged on us to render assistance.  We cut away the lashings holding the rigging.  We released the halyards and recovered the gennaker.  The mainsail was more difficult to recover since the mast was in two pieces.  The mainsail was torn and ultimately had to be cut away to be recovered.

Crew 2 jumped in the water to free some tangled lines and to recover the masts sections before they sank or drifted away.  He sustained some cuts and splinters from raw carbon edges, but he did not seek treatment.

We were successful in recovering virtually all of the mast, sails, and rigging and securing them to the boat.  However, during this process the mast and rigging were banging and sliding against the hulls and beams and caused some scratching and paint damage.

We were towed back to the Miami Rowing Club by one of the race support boats.

Here's some pictures of the busted rig:

Attached File  IMG_20131215_122856_638s.jpg   111.33K   88 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20131215_122917_652s.jpg   65.34K   112 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20131215_122947_650s.jpg   100.77K   82 downloads

#95 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

Here a picture showing what I think may be the failure mode:

Attached File  P9260046.jpg   113.42K   133 downloads

The actual conditions in Miami last weekend were very different, but this inverted bend may have been happening.  The picture was taken at the Rolex Big Boat Series in SF under much heavier conditions than we had in Biscayne Bay last weekend and we were not reefed last Sunday.  However at the moment the rig went bang, we did have the traveler down, the main somewhat depowered, and the mast rotated probably close to 75 degrees off the center-line of the boat at the time.  

Is this inverted bend an automatic recipe for disaster?

If I'm in a situation where I must depower and I can't bear away, should we be luffing the gennaker before dropping the traveler on the main?

Does it make sense that having a powered up gennaker and a de-powered main will bring the rig down?

This incident made for one expensive weekend, but I'm struggling to figure out what we did wrong so that whatever the mistake, it isn't repeated.

#96 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Anything that flys

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

Call me, Stephen Marcoe 775 827 2786 PST 

#97 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

Cakewalk will tell you that this would not have happened on a trimaran and that they are faster anyway... ;-)

Less mast rotation and more cunningham may have helped.
A few more carbon wraps on the mast may be a good idea, too....

#98 stampede

stampede

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

sorry for you Randy,

had the same experience on my former Tornado some years ago.

i learned that you NEVER EVER ease the mainsheet under gennacker. If you have to depower, luff the gennacker first. Your main acts as a backstay and supports your mast. Dependend from the shape of your mast, the angle of rotation is changing fore and aft stiffness of the mast. Shroud tension is important as well. I really liked your approach to kickstart your sailing carriere on a 32ft beast. I'm with you and never give up!

#99 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

sorry for you Randy,

had the same experience on my former Tornado some years ago.

i learned that you NEVER EVER ease the mainsheet under gennacker. If you have to depower, luff the gennacker first. Your main acts as a backstay and supports your mast. Dependend from the shape of your mast, the angle of rotation is changing fore and aft stiffness of the mast. Shroud tension is important as well. I really liked your approach to kickstart your sailing carriere on a 32ft beast. I'm with you and never give up!

Thanks for the advice, I'm far from giving up.  I've been sailing my whole life (though not much racing). The M32 is by far the biggest rush I've ever had on or in the water.  While I should have taken your advice from July regarding a smaller boat, now I'm hooked.  Hooked as in clinical definition of addiction. 

The new mast section is supposed to arrive from Sweden on Thursday.

But, can you elaborate on your advice on Shroud tension?

#100 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Cakewalk will tell you that this would not have happened on a trimaran and that they are faster anyway... ;-)

Less mast rotation and more cunningham may have helped.
A few more carbon wraps on the mast may be a good idea, too....

Thanks.

Do you keep the cunningham on going downhill?

Also, does your gennaker halyard exit almost directly above the hounds on your rig?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users