16 replies to this topic

#1 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

I sure wish we could see one of these finished and on the water. It seems to have everything I want, and is what the J70 should have been. I know Jim has been busy on other projects, but I feel this could be a big seller.

http://www.jpdonovan...6m-racing-yacht

#2 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

its a one-off as we speak
why not PM him he'll finish it one day

#3 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

its a one-off as we speak
why not PM him he'll finish it one day

I've had conversations with him on and off. He's tied up on the GP26 and a big boat project. Maybe if we could generate some buzz around SA, and there was enough interest, he would consider accelerating the project.

#4 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't think buzz will help finish the project. I think it has to do with Jim's actual time to work on the boat since he is building it himself. You might want to reach out to him to see how much it is to buy the plans. Then you can build it yourself or have a builder do it.  Maybe Jim can get you a quote from Jim Betts since he is there building the 80 footer......

#5 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Maybe Jim can get you a quote from Jim Betts since he is there building the 80 footer......

This is probably the way to go.

#6 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

I sure wish we could see one of these finished and on the water. It seems to have everything I want, and is what the J70 should have been. I know Jim has been busy on other projects, but I feel this could be a big seller.

http://www.jpdonovan...6m-racing-yacht

It is a very attractive boat and, as you indicate, offers a lot of the things that other designs in the space do not.

It would be great to see it produced.

#7 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

probably attractive, when its finished 

#8 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

probably attractive, when its finished 

The hull is......just have to put it all together!

#9 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I don't think buzz will help finish the project. I think it has to do with Jim's actual time to work on the boat since he is building it himself . . . . Maybe Jim can get you a quote from Jim Betts since he is there building the 80 footer......

The 88 footer hull construction that was lead by Ted Brown, Robert Grady (Al Fresco) and Joe Kitchell.

Betts hasn't been working on the 88 footer for almost a year now and moved out of the shed in Feb; he's not a candidate to build the 20.

I have a lot on right now, but will be working on finishing the 20 this fall/winter.

#10 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I don't think buzz will help finish the project. I think it has to do with Jim's actual time to work on the boat since he is building it himself . . . . Maybe Jim can get you a quote from Jim Betts since he is there building the 80 footer......

The 88 footer hull construction that was lead by Ted Brown, Robert Grady (Al Fresco) and Joe Kitchell.

Betts hasn't been working on the 88 footer for almost a year now and moved out of the shed in Feb; he's not a candidate to build the 20.

I have a lot on right now, but will be working on finishing the 20 this fall/winter.

It should be noted that Betts moved to another shop and has left the misery that was the 80 footer project. No question he would build a great D 6M if it could come in at an attractive price.

#11 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

It should be noted that Betts moved to another shop and has left the misery that was the 80 footer project. No question he would build a great D 6M if it could come in at an attractive price.

Yes the 88 footer project is going along much better now.

Betts is not a candidate for the 6m project; end of discussion.

There could be some options available soon; some of the guys who have been instrumental in actually working on the big boat project have expressed interest in getting a hull mold built.

This would be a big step to producing either kits or completed boats.

#12 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

Lol. Sailing Anarchy. Haven't had time to check it for a while.... Still burning bright. Hope things are going well Jim. The 6 will be fun. Days just aren't long enough!

#13 maarten

maarten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    X treme 25
    JS9000
    Admirality 30

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Jim, guess you are talking with the Windseeker guys for production in Europe?? This may be a good thing. Europe is getting out of the recession so there may be good opportunities for a boat like the D6m. Could be a nice competitor for the Bavaria B-one for the right price although it is a different beast altogether.

#14 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Jim, guess you are talking with the Windseeker guys for production in Europe?? This may be a good thing. Europe is getting out of the recession so there may be good opportunities for a boat like the D6m. Could be a nice competitor for the Bavaria B-one for the right price although it is a different beast altogether.

Good suggestion!

#15 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Lol. Sailing Anarchy. Haven't had time to check it for a while.... Still burning bright. Hope things are going well Jim. The 6 will be fun. Days just aren't long enough!

and unfortunately getting shorter.

#16 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi maarten,  we have discussed this, but only in planning stages for a future project. Currently we are focused on finishing the two lift versions of the GP 26 and getting Hull 3 to the Annapolis boat show in October.  It's great to see continued interest in the 6m; I am committed to finishing the boat this fall and possibly drive it somewhere warmer to go for a sail!

#17 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Jim 

pls post the weight relative to a Viper or Shaw 650 (340  kg)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users