• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Interests:Racing and cruising sailing multihulls.
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Discussion has started  on MRAA:

To: multihullracing@gmail.com

Just to get us going and probably too late, lets discuss the 2015 nationals.
2012 Nationals was at Wangi and at the end we voted on 2013 and 2014.
2013 is nearly finished at Airlie Beach. 2014 is scheduled to be at Port Lincoln in February. Assuming that is still on the next one should be in 2015.
One possibility would be Wangi in November 2014 but that is in the 'wrong' year.
I understand Shane will be running the regatta regardless of whether it is selected for a nationals or not. Lincoln is six months after Airlie, Wangi would be six months after Lincoln - too close? Can we have 2 Nationals' in one year?  Other suggestions for Venues? Times? Regattas?

I understand that Shane has  had enough of running the regatta at Wangi and will be doing it one last time so this MAY be the last opportunity to have a nationals at Wangi.

We certainly don't have everyone who would be interested on this mailing list so if you know someone who would be interested please pass this on.

Please just reply to this email to participate in the conversation.
I hope it works.

MRAA

#2 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

"I vote for Wangi every 2nd year and the alternate year can be moved around as voted. Because of the Lincoln situation causing the next nationals to be only 6 months away I think the following nationals should be the same year in the following November 2014. Wangi is low cost for accommodation and berthing, its central, to all, a great venue and excellent sailing conditions."

"Wangi is such a fantastic location and the amenities suit the event so well it would be tragic not to have this venue in your calendar somewhere."

"Anytime at Wangi, call them something else, if need be, it needs to be done annually."

"How about in conjunction with Sail Townsville 2015?

Run in August each year after Hamilton Island Race Week and in line with Magnetic Island Race Week.

2013 is the first year of “Sail Townsville” and is a brand that sits above the following events for 2013:

1.      Sea Link Magnetic Island Race Week

2.      2013 QLD Tasar State Championships

3.      North Queensland Youth Championships

4.      Sail Townsville Open Dinghy Regatta

5.      Kite Townsville

We also have a Discover Sailing week running to provide opportunities for primary school students and members of the public to experience what sailing is about and how accessible, affordable and fun sailing is to participate in.

This year there will be over 50 Yachts and over 50 dinghies equalling participant numbers will into 300’s and added participants and volunteers, family and friends will into the 1000’s. Sea Link Magnetic Island Race Week also sits as the final to the QLD Season of Sailing so there is an added element which your participants might value.

Each year we will have a group of Core events and we also hope to attract more significant major events such as World Championships, Olympic Class regattas, National Championships and your event would be fantastic to add to the line-up in 2015."

#3 bfp

bfp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

Think an issue with locking the event into this time of the year, and up north, is the time competitors need to be away.

With the offshore races (Southport, Keppel) Airlie Beach and Hamo, it is already a long time off work in August.

If you try to extend it into the Magnetic Island Race Week, then it may just be too much time off work/away for a lot of people.

There is only a limited number of people available to crew, and we need to keep the demands on crew in mind with this sort of thing.

#4 Peccadillo

Peccadillo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

Here's one option for 2015 - Multihull Yacht Club of Vic would be keen to host in Melb (Geelong actually) for a January 2015 Nationals, running in conjunction with the Festival of Sails (used to be called Geelong Week). Royal Geelong Yacht Club are very experienced regatta managers (plenty of o/d nationals, several worlds) and are interested in such a proposal. Plus would have a good chance of attracting sponsorship. Geelong is a great venue for multi racing. And its summer so the northerners can come without worrying about the cold!

#5 Ice Cat

Ice Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Geelong has a good reputation and I am sure Charles would drive it well 

#6 Frassld

Frassld

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Perhaps another way to look at this would be to keep rotating it around the active states NSW 2012, QLD 2013, SA 2014, VIC 2015, NSW 2016, ect, ect, no need to vote leave it to the state associations to decide on the venue when its there turn.

#7 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps another way to look at this would be to keep rotating it around the active states NSW 2012, QLD 2013, SA 2014, VIC 2015, NSW 2016, ect, ect, no need to vote leave it to the state associations to decide on the venue when its there turn.

Sure that's another way to look at it. Couple of problems. 1. We don't have state associations. I think SA is the only state that does.
2. I think it is unfair to use the arbitrary historic state borders as the method to divide us up. I'll leave it to someone else to calculate distances but I believe QLD would warrant 2 or perhaps 3 regions. It is a very long way from Port Douglas to the Gold Coast. There are many multihull sailing centres in QLD, well separated in distance.
I would rather see individual centres put up proposals for events and have the potential competitors decide, by consensus or vote if necessary.
Just my opinion. We could go with the above model if we want to but I think it would require state associations to be formed except for SA.

#8 Frassld

Frassld

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sure that's another way to look at it. Couple of problems. 1. We don't have state associations. I think SA is the only state that does.
2. I think it is unfair to use the arbitrary historic state borders as the method to divide us up. I'll leave it to someone else to calculate distances but I believe QLD would warrant 2 or perhaps 3 regions. It is a very long way from Port Douglas to the Gold Coast. There are many multihull sailing centres in QLD, well separated in distance.
I would rather see individual centres put up proposals for events and have the potential competitors decide, by consensus or vote if necessary.
Just my opinion. We could go with the above model if we want to but I think it would require state associations to be formed except for SA.
I know the MYCV (Victoria) exists as I am a Member and the MYCQ (Queensland) exists they keep our OMR ratings.

#9 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Seems to me us NSW guys need to get our act together and form or reform the MYCNSW! Zorro 2 is just the guy to do it in my opinion.

#10 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

I know the MYCV (Victoria) exists as I am a Member and the MYCQ (Queensland) exists they keep our OMR ratings.

Seems to me us NSW guys need to get our act together and form or reform the MYCNSW! Zorro 2 is just the guy to do it in my opinion.

I don't know about MYCV but MYCQ is in no way a State Association. I was for many years a member of QMYC and was a member when it became MYCQ when it merged with 2 other yacht clubs. MYCQ is a yacht club not a state association and it does not carry out the functions of a state association. MYCQ owns OMR and kindly allows anyone to use it.

There was a Multihull Yacht Association of NSW, I was a member there for quite a while, even on the executive committee. David Bishop and Justin Grunwald were members and now sail with RMYC. I'm not sure that even MYA of NSW was a State Association.

Aside from all that, even if we had State Associations I don't see why, in the day of 21st century communication, any potential competitor should be denied his/her say on where the nationals should be held. I think it would be much fairer to allow any individual to 'tender' for the nationals at whatever venue they choose and then let the potential competitors discuss and decide. It is not as though we have to write letters and wait for the mail etc. These days we have instant communication, let's use it to give everyone their say.

I would not be in favour of State Associations. Today states are irrelevant and we should act as Australians. There are too few of us to divide lets be one group and lets give everyone their say.

#11 wineglass

wineglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

So should the mycq become the Manly multihull club, I think we are talking about basic geographic location to spread the travel. We do need to work out how QLD can own the OMR and we can share it.

#12 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

So should the mycq become the Manly multihull club, Doesn't need to it already is. I think we are talking about basic geographic location to spread the travel. So we definitely need to include FNQ as distinct from SEQ, they want to be separate states anyway. I could be wrong but I think the distance between Bris and Port Douglas is further than Bris to Melb.  We do need to work out how QLD can own the OMR and we can share it. No we don't. As I said, MYCQ owns OMR and allows anyone to use it, read the preamble.

#13 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

what about Gippsland Lakes 2015

#14 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

certainly worth considering if you have the helpers available down there.

#15 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

Yes, is this a proposal? If you would send your details and details of the club that would run it etc. to multihullracing@gmail.com then I will get t he proposal to as many potential competitors as I can. Then we could all discuss it.

#16 slick

slick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

+1
love sailing on the lakes,club great, town great, location great, what's not to like?

#17 Frassld

Frassld

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

+1
love sailing on the lakes,club great, town great, location great, what's not to like?
+1 Great cruising as well. Why not have it close to "Marlay Point Race" that could make the road trip worth the effort, and its not much further than the Whitsundays for the Airlie div 2 fleet.

#18 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

The Gippsland lakes yacht club would love to hold the 2015 titles.   http://www.sailglyc.com   Our fleet (when we can get them all there) consists of  a F24, F25,          2 X F28, F32, Spudgun, Lightwave 45  and 3 other cruising cats.

Over the past few years the club has hosted Taipans and mozzie cat regattas.   Along with the growing number of multies that make the trek for the Easter regatta. They are also running the 2014 laser masters so the club can definitely handle running the titles. 

Let me know who I need to talk to to formalize the club/states bid

Andy 

#19 Frassld

Frassld

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

The Gippsland lakes yacht club would love to hold the 2015 titles.   http://www.sailglyc.com   Our fleet (when we can get them all there) consists of  a F24, F25,          2 X F28, F32, Spudgun, Lightwave 45  and 3 other cruising cats.

Over the past few years the club has hosted Taipans and mozzie cat regattas.   Along with the growing number of multies that make the trek for the Easter regatta. They are also running the 2014 laser masters so the club can definitely handle running the titles. 

Andy

Perhaps there will be a vote at Port Lincoln in February ?

Great fun tacking up the Straights hoping the ferry doesn't pull up the chain past the Easter crowd and finishing in front of the club, a bit like Wangi. Have the new fun police relaxed on that yet.

#20 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Andy

Perhaps there will be a vote at Port Lincoln in February ?

Great fun tacking up the Straights hoping the ferry doesn't pull up the chain past the Easter crowd and finishing in front of the club, a bit like Wangi. Have the new fun police relaxed on that yet.

The strait may be out of the question for a start but if we tell the fun police that we all promise to play nicely with the power boats then we might be allowed to cruise down them

#21 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Andy 

I would hope we could get a consensus or a vote well before next Feb.

If you can get all the details of the bid/proposal into an email to:
multihullracing@gmail.com
And I will get it out to as many potential competitors as I can.
Also if you can get your potential competitors (locals) to join the Multihull Racing Association of Australia, by emailing:
With name, email address, details of boat (if any) then they can participate in the conversation.
We have suggestions so far for:
Gippsland Lakes - Gippsland Lake Yacht Club - date ??
Townsville/Magnetic Island - Sail Townsville/Yachting Qld - August 2015
Geelong - Royal Geelong Yacht Club - January 2015
Wangi - Wangi Amateur Sailing Club/ Shane Russell - November 2014

#22 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Did the "Multihull Racing Association of Australia" become an actual thing at Airlie Beach or it is still just imaginary and means nothing?

It's going to be a shitfight between Wangi and Gippsland isn't it?  GLYC is a pretty special place to hold a regatta and they would even run on the water starts.

#23 rog2

rog2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

This talk of "national" titles is distracting; there is no national body as there are no state bodies so the title is misleading. The B2G is neither a national or state race in the same way that the Syd/Hobart is not national or state; it's just a race open to anybody.

Where I do see a need for a national body is to harmonise events so that sufficient time is allowed between events for competitors to plan ahead and also to avoid conflicts in timing. Poor planning can only lead to poor outcomes.

#24 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Did the "Multihull Racing Association of Australia" become an actual thing at Airlie Beach or it is still just imaginary and means nothing?

It did not become an actual thing at Airlie Beach, it means something in the imagination of at least 40 multihull enthusiasts, 32 of them being boat owners and from Cairns to Adelaide.

Please join us by emailing :

multihullracing@gmail.com with your name, preferred email address and boat details (if any).

It's going to be a shitfight between Wangi and Gippsland isn't it?  GLYC is a pretty special place to hold a regatta and they would even run on the water starts.

Why would it be a shitfight? And why between Wangi and Gippsland? What about the other proposals, do you dismiss them out of hand?

#25 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

This talk of "national" titles is distracting; there is no national body as there are no state bodies so the title is misleading. The B2G is neither a national or state race in the same way that the Syd/Hobart is not national or state; it's just a race open to anybody.

Where I do see a need for a national body is to harmonise events so that sufficient time is allowed between events for competitors to plan ahead and also to avoid conflicts in timing. Poor planning can only lead to poor outcomes.

This event has been called the Multihull Nationals for many years even though there has been no national body. We haven't needed a national  body or even a national discussion for as long as we have been happy to take suggestions for venues and timing of the event and to vote on them at an informal meeting of potential competitors at the presentation dinner of one of these events.

What some of us are trying to do is start a national discussion so that anyone who is interested can have their say and potential competitors can have their say and either come to a consensus agreement or have a vote on proposals for future nationals.

multihullracing@gmail.com with your name, preferred email address and boat details (if any).

#26 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

It did not become an actual thing at Airlie Beach, it means something in the imagination of at least 40 multihull enthusiasts, 32 of them being boat owners and from Cairns to Adelaide.

Why would it be a shitfight? And why between Wangi and Gippsland? What about the other proposals, do you dismiss them out of hand?

I apologise profusely my Fuhrer and I wish you well in the clearly democratic and transparent running of the... well whatever it is.

#27 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would put forward Easter 2015 for the titles on the Gippsland lakes.

#28 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Andy 

I would hope we could get a consensus or a vote well before next Feb.

If you can get all the details of the bid/proposal into an email to:
And I will get it out to as many potential competitors as I can.
Also if you can get your potential competitors (locals) to join the Multihull Racing Association of Australia, by emailing:
With name, email address, details of boat (if any) then they can participate in the conversation.
Gippsland Lakes - Gippsland Lake Yacht Club - date ??

Gippsland Lakes - Gippsland Lake Yacht Club - Easter 2015 3rd to 6th April 2015

#29 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

I would vote for Gippsland lakes, the starts at Wangi are a joke, besides nationals should be held in different locations so we can see more of our great land.

#30 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

Big Andy

I am assuming that it is you who we should communicate with regarding the proposal to have the 2015 Multihull Nationals at Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club over the easter weekend 2015

#31 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

I would vote for Gippsland lakes, the starts at Wangi are a joke, besides nationals should be held in different locations so we can see more of our great land.

bush sailer

That way you can put your opinion to all and if it comes to a vote you can vote for the venue of your choice.

#32 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

From the Pt Lincoln thread:

Any initial indications on where the Nationals may be held next year?

Geelong?

Wangi 2014 is not yet certain to even happen, we need to encourage Shane.

If it does go ahead can it be the 2015 Nationals in November 2014?

I got an email group going and drove it for a while but got too busy with Two Tribes and as usual, if someone doesn't drive it is sits dormant.

This event has been called the Multihull Nationals for many years even though there has been no national body. We haven't needed a national  body or even a national discussion for as long as we have been happy to take suggestions for venues and timing of the event and to vote on them at an informal meeting of potential competitors at the presentation dinner of one of these events.

What some of us are trying to do is start a national discussion so that anyone who is interested can have their say and potential competitors can have their say and either come to a consensus agreement or have a vote on proposals for future nationals.

Looks like we revert to what we have always done (well for a long time anyway), we discuss it at the end of the nationals among those interested enough to 'hang  around' and make a decision with that 'group'. Anyone not there get's no say.

Gippsland Lakes - Gippsland Lake Yacht Club - Easter 2015 3rd to 6th April 2015

Can talk about it now if you like.
One problem I see with the Gippsland Lakes is that Easter is always B2G so there would be a fleet reduction at one or the other. For example I would have to decide whether to do the Nationals or B2G, can't do both, and I know there would be others in the same position.

#33 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

Must be Victoria's turn?

If we believe in states and turns then it could be Victoria's turn or Tasmania's or Western Australia's or NT's (yes they do sail multihulls in Darwin and it would be a good venue for nationals).

I don't believe in states (consider the distance between Pt Douglass and Southport, both in the same state) or turns. I think the best venue at the best time should be the deciding factor.

That said I think that Geelong would be the best venue at the best time and it would get my vote if we had a vote.

#34 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

Hang around and have a vote.

Geelong was good this year.

#35 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Rob Remilton announced that the next regatta is at Wangi in November 2014 and the next NATIONALS will be at Geelong in January 2015 and the following NATIONALS will be at Wangi in November 2016

So there it is, the next 2 nationals are set plus an interim Regatta at Wangi - who needs a national association.
Let's all join MYASA,

#36 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, football, family.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Rob Remilton announced that the next regatta is at Wangi in November 2014 and the next NATIONALS will be at Geelong in January 2015 and the following NATIONALS will be at Wangi in November 2016

So there it is, the next 2 nationals are set plus an interim Regatta at Wangi - who needs a national association.
Let's all join MYASA,

Victorians don't need to join MYASA we have the MYCV one of the oldest clubs, Go the big V numbers.

#37 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Seems that the 'Victorian' nationals is being heavily influenced by people outside of Victoria.

#38 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:38 AM

Let's all join MYASA,
Victorians don't need to join MYASA we have the MYCV one of the oldest clubs, Go the big V numbers.
MYCV is a yacht club, not a class association. Same goes for MYCQ.

#39 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

Seems that the 'Victorian' nationals is being heavily influenced by people outside of Victoria.

That's because there is no 'Victorian Nationals' there are only Australian Nationals. The next Australian Nationals are scheduled to be held at Geelong. The following at Wangi. After that who knows. Doesn't matter what state they are in.

The 'de-facto' National Association has decided on the next two venues.
I'm joining MYASA because it is our 'de-facto' Multihull Yacht Association of Australia.

#40 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, football, family.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Let's all join MYASA,

Why does that matter? It still represents the state of Victoria.

#41 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Let's all join MYASA,

Why does that matter? It still represents the state of Victoria.

No it does not. It represents it's members, wherever they live.

What is a Victorian?

I suggest a Victorian is anyone who says he/she is a Victorian.

IMO all this Qld vs NSW vs Victoria vs South Australia is a load of crap based on arbitrary, impractical, outdated, ridiculous, irrelevant divisions. We are all Australians and state rivalry is counterproductive and bad for everyone.

#42 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Nuddy you are clearly a long way removed from the wider yachting world (and probably a lot of other things).  Yachting is just like politics... Federal=YA State=YV etc.  Local = Clubs and Associations.

Lets talk in generalisations... most classes and associations have state bodies and then a wider national body.  "Nationals" are usually cyclic with each state having their turn to host the event.  When it is a states year (or turn) to host a nationals the selection of venue and date is generally left to the host state to determine and it is approved by the national body.  Instead the 'major players' in the multihull scene hold the event to ransom by declaring where they will and wont go.

Now... can you tell us more about Malice and Mal Richardson?

#43 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

I have only experienced 2 classes and was on the 'board' of each. We had state 'branches' of the national class association which itself was affiliated to the international class association. State branches existed not in all states, but only in those states that contained a sailing club which sailed that class. They didn't take turns at the nationals, it was whoever thought they could run it. State branches also ran State championships. That was back in the 80's. No idea how it is done now.
For Multihulls, inshore, nationals started with the Trailertri Nationals run by the Trailertri Association For TrailerTris only (18, 680 and 720). Later it expanded to Trailable Multihull Nationals run by the Trailable Multihull Association. Later still it expanded to include non-Trailable Multihulls. I sailed the Nationals through the 90's with XL2, non Trailable.
The Trailable Multihull Association ceased to exist but the Nationals continued with venues determined, not on a 'States Turn' basis but on a 'ad hoc' basis of who volunteered to organise it and if there was more than 1 volunteer the venue was put to a vote of owners who happened to be at the preso and stayed to the end of the evening.
This year it was different. Interested parties formed the MYASA and ran the Pt Lincoln Nationals. At the nationals the MYASA called a meeting to form a 'National Body'. I couldn't get to that meeting so I can't say what happened but at the preso Rob announced, not that a national body had been formed, but that the next 2 venues had been agreed.
Thus my assertion that MYASA is doing the job of the national body, good on them, somebody has to do it and nobody else stands up and does it.

#44 rog2

rog2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

The problem, if there is one, is that the MYASA (whoever they are) AFAIK are not YA affiliated so are reliant on other clubs to host races. I know there are many other associations in the same boat, so to speak, and implementation of a concept is a pain.

On the other hand clubs such as MYCQ are YA affiliated and can run their own races.

At the end of the day it's a lot of hard unpaid work for a few volunteers. Plenty of advisors, few volunteers.

Fussing over the definition of 'club' and 'association' is pointless as they mean the same thing.

#45 rog2

rog2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

Until the Constitution is amended the current setup, where the obligations of the Crown is shared between States and Federal Govts remains. For those who want to change the Constitution the necessary steps are in the Constitution 😏

The CYCA call themselves "Australia's leading exponent of ocean racing and sea safety" however they still have to comply with State and Federal laws - in that regard its a level playing field.

#46 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

When did it become a legal requirement to be YA affiliated to run races? I suggest that it is not. YA is the peak body for yacht racing. That does not make it the only body. QMYC certainly used to run races before they (we, I was a member at the time) became affiliated. Similarly the SSAA used to do the same before they were affiliated.
Don't start going on about insurance. SSAA had the same insurance, with the same insurer as the AYF (as they called themselves at the time).

Although Club and Association may technically mean the same thing, usage presents a difference between a yacht club and a class association and it has nothing to do with running races. A class association administers a class of yachts.
Taking Multihulls as a class of yachts (moot point), then we have a class association (MYASA) which apparently limits itself to administering multihull class yachts in the state of South Australia. However in effect they are administering multihull class yachts for all of Australia. IMO this is a GOOD thing as no-one else will do it.

#47 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Ok I am talking from a position of some ignorance. I was not able to attend the meeting, to which I was invited, called by the MYASA to form a national body for the administration of multihull class yachts, on Tuesday 25th February. I have not heard anything about what happened at that meeting or even if anyone turned up. I did expect an announcement about the outcome but there was none. Instead at the preso the venues for the next 2 Multihull Nationals were announced from MYASA.
I can only conclude that no National Body was formed and that MYASA has taken on the function of that body.

#48 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Paul,

You are having a conversation with yourself.

No one else cares what status MYASA has.

The next two nationals are organised. Move on.

daniel

#49 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Instead the 'major players' in the multihull scene hold the event to ransom by declaring where they will and wont go.

Please expand on that. Who are these 'major players'?

#50 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

In the absence of a national body, the vote is taken by the owners who are prepared to hang around at the presentation. I have always found them a wonderful group of people. It certainly isn't a constitutional model but it has worked withonly camaraderie at the votes I have been to. Generally the guys at the club intending to offer an event have been talking it up during the series, and all the issues sorted by vote time. Let me confirm here that running a nationals is not something you do to make yourself look cool. It is not fun, and you can guarantee your sailing performance in the series will suffer. Just ask my crew. Whenever I have put the case forward for our clubs up in SE Qld, I have been happy to have other offers come forward.

Cabsav, There is no "major player" game here. I at first thought the method was a bit strange, eg Wangi offers the nats and gets them in November some years (suits the organisers), Airlie in August (coincides with Race Week) , Manly September (School holidays suited that year), Geelong will be January (Geelong Week) etc. Some years we have had two nats in a year, so what? The shifting of time and venues means everyone gets a time or a place convenient, and often do a few other regattas on the way there or back. Prior knowledge lets us all plan ahead, I am hoping to get to Geelong for the first time at the next nats, and Marlay Point as well with some cruising in between.

The only time I can remember an equally split vote, the voting numbers were low, and the hour was late, so we amicably agreed to go and discuss the issues at home, publish the info, and do an electronic owner vote of those willing to travel. It worked fine, and if my memory is still working that was the Hervey Bay 2005 vote with next nats going to Geelong.

I have only seen ugliness in decisions from our national yachting body which had the gall to ratify an IRC National Championships during Easter at Newcastle this year coinciding with one of the east coast's biggest blue water events - the Brisbane to Gladstone. Not bright given the difficulty of getting a decent fleet of expensive ocean-going boats to the start line.

Explain that one to me.

Peter

#51 rog2

rog2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

The main reason that Newcastle and Port Stephens can attract IRC boats is one of economics, the location is close to Sydney making it less costly for competitors. Sail Port Stephens is run like a business by business http://sailportsteph...com.au/history/

QLD will always suffer from its distance to major centres.

#52 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, don't want this thread to go too leadmined, but my point is that our multi-nonassociation-chums decision process works pretty well compared to the supposed association under YA which has put the IRC titles at Newcastle during Easter. Any other time would have been fine, and I don't blame Newcastle as they are just doing what the multi-clubs did and picking a time that suits.

I am on the board of QCYC when I wear a monohull hat, and like any little club, things are not easy for us. The decision by YA was just a kick in the soft parts that we could have done without during our biggest event.

#53 rog2

rog2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

For some entities to stay afloat and attract the necessary $$ it's become a bidding war.

#54 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

Someone suggested Gippsland Lakes at Easter. I said, Gippsland lakes - interesting venue, Easter -no way. To diminish from B2G is NOT a good idea.
I would like to see a nationals at Gippsland lakes but not at Easter. How about 2017?

#55 Mitch Bayliss

Mitch Bayliss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Being a member of the Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club in Paynesville and having spoken to our sailing captain I can say on behalf of the GLYC that we would be delighted to host a Multihull Nationals at almost any time.  Nobody in the club is paid but there is an amazing band of volunteers that run great regattas from the relatively social Easter Regatta to the recently run Laser Masters with 140 boats.

Easter is obviously a very busy time of year not only on the lakes but everywhere else.  Make no mistake the GLYC are happy to host during dates suggested/requested by the committee.  Perhaps running it either side of the Marlay Point Overnight Race would give boats the opportunity to do that as well?  We sent a proposal to Charles (Peccadillo) as he is the current commodore of the MYCV prior to the Lincoln nationals detailing the clubs charges etc so he has that info GLYC would certainly be offering on water starts and finishes with the potential for short or long course W/L racing (up to 1nm beat or up to 1.6nm beat) as well as shorter or longer passage style races like in Port Lincoln.  If people thought the Lincoln format was good (which I did) then a similar format can be taken to Paynesville.

I'm not a boat owner but if you want references ask Frassld, Sknot, 50-50 (Chilli), Bare Essentials, Mustang Sally what they would think of racing on the lakes - they have all raced there before.  Local boats include Spudgun, an F28, F25 and few others.

ull Disclosure - The front bar at the pub is pretty crappy, but the yacht club has the cheapest drinks in town and is right on the water front!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users