29 replies to this topic

#1 mbettis5

mbettis5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Club racing, fun

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I have to comment on today's SA post, which says "Lucky Dubie is the world’s best-named J/boat since Smokin’ J was snuffed out years ago". I agree that Smokin' J is the best name ever for a J-boat, but not sure what "snuffed out" means. I am the proud owner of what I believe is the original Smokin' J. This is j/29 hull number 233 (1984), which was originally owned by Don Trask. The boat is alive and well, and still winning races:  http://www.sequoiayc...on-TOT-2013.pdf

Is there something I don't know about the name Smokin' J ? Chime in folks!

Mark Bettis

San Mateo, CA

#2 The Gardener

The Gardener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

With a prescription it is ok in your area.

#3 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Don keeps racing a boat of that name.
-------
They got beat by U20 for overall again this Wed.

Side note: I think he has forgotten more about racing than I will ever know..

Sail safe

#4 JSoup

JSoup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Does anyone know what Clean meant by boats from as far as Oregon?  I don't see any Oregon boats on the entrants list and, to my knowledge, there are no J/111s in Oregon.  

Also, the link for more information (full OTWA/Facebook video/interview/photo/updates coverage right here)is broken, does anyone know the real location.  

#5 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

-------

Sail safe

Those U20's are tough "Lake Boats" against a J70

#6 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have to comment on today's SA post, which says "Lucky Dubie is the worlds best-named J/boat since Smokin J was snuffed out years ago". I agree that Smokin' J is the best name ever for a J-boat, but not sure what "snuffed out" means. I am the proud owner of what I believe is the original Smokin' J. This is j/29 hull number 233 (1984), which was originally owned by Don Trask. The boat is alive and well, and still winning races:  http://www.sequoiayc...on-TOT-2013.pdf

Mark Bettis
San Mateo, CA

Lucky Dubie wins simply because they don't employ the overly done, cliche of feeling obligated to use J in some fashion of the boat's name.

About as creative as the dozens of "Farr Out's" or the way multihull's feel the need to remind themselves of how many hulls they have when they name their boats.

Go the Dubie!

#7 mbettis5

mbettis5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Club racing, fun

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

I certainly would not presume to name a new boat "Smokin' J" , but since the name has been with the boat from the start I'm definitely not going to change it. All sorts of bad mojo would be sure to enuse if i did.

My kids and their friends keep giving me a hard time about the name though - lots of giigles and questions about what I'm really doing out there. My response would be that if the name reflected what I was doing out there the boat would be called either "Drinkin' J" or "Grinnin' J".

I agree with Bow Monkey  - I'm  not big on boat names that are word play on the kind of boat. Otherwise the "Flyin' Hawaiian" would have to be called the "Sinkin' MudCAT" . . . .

#8 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Does anyone know what Clean meant by boats from as far as Oregon?  I don't see any Oregon boats on the entrants list and, to my knowledge, there are no J/111s in Oregon.  

Also, the link for more information (full OTWA/Facebook video/interview/photo/updates coverage right here)is broken, does anyone know the real location.  

The boat they are referring to is My Sharona from Bend Oregon.  I know the boat is sailed, or will be sailed, out of Florida... but Bend, OR is the hailing port on the boat.

#9 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,608 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

Aw c'mon??? Best name?? Are you totally outbid your fucking mind??

I do not pretend to lnowxshichbpne is the best ever as I have only seen a few hundred,,,, or maybe s couple thousand but here are just a few thst bump thst name off the top of any decent list.

Preparation J....
The Opera Ain't Over 'Till The Fat Lady Sings
Gopher Baroque ( complete with a graphic of a group of Woodchucks playing)
Generic. Complete with a barcode
Disirregardless
Box Lunch( hull 69)
Shining Armour. .... ( owner's name is Knight)
Went (all yellow boat named after the Pepsodent commercial where they sang. "you'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent)
Cunning Stunts. (All girl team)
Does This Boat Make My Butt Look Big??
Monster Fish
My Other Boat Is Comfortable
Janet's Diamond

And I didn't even do any research.

In fact in Minnesota and later at Dillon where Smokin' was named by a fellow whonhad no knowledge of a pre-existing Smokin.....
A pilot had a white deck Blue hulled boat and as a play on the pilot's montra about keeping the sky up called his boat Blue Side Down

Sorry! Smokin is just plain way too obvious and simple and yuppies with sailboats don't get to make druggie references anyway.

#10 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

The boat they are referring to is My Sharona from Bend Oregon.  I know the boat is sailed, or will be sailed, out of Florida... but Bend, OR is the hailing port on the boat.

Fun history.  And gouv - it's only the 'best name ever' if you've got a serious case of glaucoma.

#11 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

I bought J24 2178 also called Smokin J.....Don Trask gave it it the SB youth Foundation ......they thought the name was too risky for youths....so they pulled up the plastic letters...Sm and the in and the name became ok J.....was that way for many years.

#12 JSoup

JSoup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks dg. -

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

All corrected.  Thanks for the info, all!

#14 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

-------

Sail safe

By a guy who has never driven a U 20. 

#15 #13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27 and Mercury owner

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

If my memory serves, Smokin' J (the J29 in question) is the original "Smokin' J" named J by Don Trask. 

If memory further serves, Don once loaned her to someone for an event in which the foredeck crew slipped, gashing her knee on an exposed cotter pin holding a shroud, and then had the audacity to turn around and sue Don.  Don't recall the outcome.

Jeez, as I read this I sound like an old geezer now...

Sail on, all!

PS:  MBettis5- from where I live in the hills above RWC, I sometimes watch the SequoiaYC Wednesday nights.  Good times!

#16 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

or the way multihull's feel the need to remind themselves of how many hulls they have when they name their boats.

Go the Dubie!

Yeah...Like Earth Voyager, Intruder, Big Storm, Summer Storm, Cheeky Monkee, Manitou/Lucky Strike, Sundog, Adagio, Ollie, Strings, Accipiter, Caliente, Gamera, Nice Pair (well maybe...), High Priority, Nelda Ray, It's Prime Time, Panacea, Alacrity, and I could go on and on for multis here on the Great Lakes.  So yeah...we really feel the need to remind ourselves of how many hulls we have when we name our boats.  

You obviously have no clue what you are spouting off about when it comes to this about multihulls.   :blink:

#17 Jeff Asher

Jeff Asher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Skiing, Shooting

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

The current "Smokin' J" is a J70 and has been for a couple of years.  Before that is was a J80.  Don was pushing all of the keelboat sailors on Lake Norman to get a J80 and now pushing the J70.  Both of those designs are very good for the local conditions and competition.  

I'm not completely certain, but J boats took the top 3 spots last Wednesday on the lake, with Al's J29 stomping everyone, except the U20, which is honestly very well sailed, but almost unbeatable with their rating.

#18 gmb0460

gmb0460

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I am the owner of Smokin J, the J22 from NY hull # 61. owned the boat since about 1999 and it has been to Annapolis several times and to Tampa for the Mid winters.

Attached Thumbnails

• j22 61 09.jpg

#19 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I always thought "Pass the J" was the one of the best names as well.  It was a well sailed J24 out of Dana Point Harbor.

#20 Buzzard

Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

My buddy named his J24 "Puffy J"

#21 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Aw c'mon??? Best name?? Are you totally outbid your fucking mind??

I do not pretend to lnowxshichbpne is the best ever as I have only seen a few hundred,,,, or maybe s couple thousand but here are just a few thst bump thst name off the top of any decent list.

Preparation J....
The Opera Ain't Over 'Till The Fat Lady Sings
Gopher Baroque ( complete with a graphic of a group of Woodchucks playing)
Generic. Complete with a barcode
Disirregardless
Box Lunch( hull 69)
Shining Armour. .... ( owner's name is Knight)
Went (all yellow boat named after the Pepsodent commercial where they sang. "you'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent)
Cunning Stunts. (All girl team)
Does This Boat Make My Butt Look Big??
Monster Fish
My Other Boat Is Comfortable
Janet's Diamond

And I didn't even do any research.

In fact in Minnesota and later at Dillon where Smokin' was named by a fellow whonhad no knowledge of a pre-existing Smokin.....
A pilot had a white deck Blue hulled boat and as a play on the pilot's montra about keeping the sky up called his boat Blue Side Down

Sorry! Smokin is just plain way too obvious and simple and yuppies with sailboats don't get to make druggie references anyway.

There once was a boat here called the Cunning Linguist....

#22 Xsailor912

Xsailor912

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

My dad, Don Trask named his first J24 Smokin J. I believe that this was the first. Many followed. We towed the Smokin J behind an orange Ford van with a slogan on the side. It read, "What a difference a J makes." In that we were in the business of selling a good time, it seemed the right thing to do. Many a thumbs up were given on the tows to regattas.

I remember that Jimmy Dewitt and Jim Warfield dropped there J24 on the dock at Richmond Yacht Club. Once it was fixed, it was renamed "Broken J". There was another J 24 on SF Bay called Token J. Fun times back in the late seventies sailing J 24's!

#23 linaszuk

linaszuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I have to comment on today's SA post, which says "Lucky Dubie is the worlds best-named J/boat since Smokin J was snuffed out years ago". I agree that Smokin' J is the best name ever for a J-boat, but not sure what "snuffed out" means. I am the proud owner of what I believe is the original Smokin' J. This is j/29 hull number 233 (1984), which was originally owned by Don Trask. The boat is alive and well, and still winning races:  http://www.sequoiayc...on-TOT-2013.pdf

Mark Bettis
San Mateo, CA

Lucky Dubie wins simply because they don't employ the overly done, cliche of feeling obligated to use J in some fashion of the boat's name.

About as creative as the dozens of "Farr Out's" or the way multihull's feel the need to remind themselves of how many hulls they have when they name their boats.

Go the Dubie!

don't forget the ass-load of "Sea-Ducer" and it's varients (seen on both stink and blow boats).

#24 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

My dad, Don Trask named his first J24 Smokin J. I believe that this was the first. Many followed. We towed the Smokin J behind an orange Ford van with a slogan on the side. It read, "What a difference a J makes." In that we were in the business of selling a good time, it seemed the right thing to do. Many a thumbs up were given on the tows to regattas.

I remember that Jimmy Dewitt and Jim Warfield dropped there J24 on the dock at Richmond Yacht Club. Once it was fixed, it was renamed "Broken J". There was another J 24 on SF Bay called Token J. Fun times back in the late seventies sailing J 24's!

Tell your father thank you for his incredibly generous donation of another iteration of Smokin J to St Francis YC's fleet of J22's.  I've had the opportunity to race her in team race, fleet racing and match racing.  very cool that the fleet is getting so much use thanks to great people like Don Trask.  That fleet is major reason that StFYC was able to bring in another Hinman earlier in the month, IMHO...

#25 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, the usual "fair test of skill" going on there again, you guys really need to add some budget money to get your RCs abandonment flags

-------

Sail safe

By a guy who has never driven a U 20. 

#26 Xsailor912

Xsailor912

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Got beat by the guy that owns the molds and is a damn good sailor in 3 knots of breeze. Typical J, the 70. Sticky in light air, but comes alive in 8-10 knots. PHRF, really? I'm told he has more invested in specialty sails then he has in his turd of a boat. 80 year old guy, Don. He should probably hang it up, but sailing keeps him going. If punks like the guy in the U20 stopped sailing, my dad wouldn't have any fun.

#27 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Got beat by the guy that owns the molds and is a damn good sailor in 3 knots of breeze. Typical J, the 70. Sticky in light air, but comes alive in 8-10 knots. PHRF, really? I'm told he has more invested in specialty sails then he has in his turd of a boat. 80 year old guy, Don. He should probably hang it up, but sailing keeps him going. If punks like the guy in the U20 stopped sailing, my dad wouldn't have any fun.

Be nice Junior...   

#28 Xsailor912

Xsailor912

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

LOL! 

#29 Fast Is

Fast Is

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast and sailing

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

The well maintained 1995 U20 #25 named 'fore' with that gorgeous suit of PHRF sails just tonight completed the Outrigger Yacht Club Wednesday Night Series on Lake Norman for the eighth time in the past eleven years as SPINNAKER OVERALL WINNER. Yea, a J80 won the other three years. No smoking on that boat.

#30 Xsailor912

Xsailor912

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users