• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 c3hammer

c3hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Here's the last of my video from when I was out in the Bay area.  This was filmed on Aug 9th before the AR - LR race 4.  It was very light that morning at 8-12 knots.  Even lighter right around noon when Oracle first came out.

There is a short piece that shows ORB2 foiling upwind at the 1:30 mark or so.  This is after heading up from a practice start around the first mark.  There are also a number of foiling jibes, even though the winds were quite light.  As a comparison, at the start of the race LR couldn't foil through their jibe.

The very last clip shows ORB2 walking away from ORB1 at an incredible rate downwind.  One of the faster downwind displays I saw while I was out there.

https://vimeo.com/72504298

Cheers,

Pete

#2 sam75

sam75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Another great video. Thanks for posting.

#3 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

+1k! Thanks Pete!   :D 

#4 jonsailor

jonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, design, hot babes

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

very nice, both seem to have class rule stubby winglets.

All's looking good

#5 winchfodder

winchfodder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Or boats still looking a bit tippy in the bow, but it could well be race on with etnz

#6 mattdarnell

mattdarnell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Another great video. Thanks for posting.

+1

#7 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,762 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed watching - thank you for that gorgeous video.

There's a lot to be said for slow motion, it emphasizes what beautiful behavior these boats have.

On the hot-topic of flybes: those aren't quite perfect yet but they're pretty dang fast anyway; my guess is down into the low 20's thru the bottom instead of the 25 or so floor that we've seen ETNZ manage on occasion.

#8 mattdarnell

mattdarnell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

But seriously....how the heck do you tell if they are going upwind or downwind?

I don't know the bay area enough to be able to know based on the background.

#9 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Fairly simple formula as almost all photogs/videogs are filming from some point on the city front which faces north and wind is fairly reliably out of the W to WSW.  If you see the background in a vid moving left to right boats are going downhill, If terrestrial background is moving from right to left, boats are going up hill. That's a big generacism as when the photogs/videogs are facing ENE or E it gets a little confusing

#10 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,762 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

The segment with them climbing right to left past Alcatraz is fairly convincing but I think they must have come up from a hotter angle to precipitate the foiling.

Unless there's something incredible and new in some combo of tips and case adjustability then flacks would still floor me; otoh, watching video like that of these AC72's is a reminder of how completely shell-shocked and comfortably numb one can succumb to. Mercy!

#11 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Great Video.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#12 rico

rico

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

Generally right to left to on the screen (toward the Gate) is up and left to right on the screen is down. Wind direction is consistently within 20 degrees.

The above is true if you don't see the SF cityfront onshore in the background, and instead see Marin, Alcatraz or East Bay. Most shore video is being shot from near Crissy Field / StFYC / GGYC.

Edit: Krispy is way more local and faster than me, but at least we don't contradict each other!

#13 1SmokinWeed

1SmokinWeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

It seems like Oracle has a potentially big advantage.  B2 is spending a lot of time close behind B1 in a variety of scenarios.  It looks like they've been working on what moves to make, how the wind shadows work, etc.  It's not something ETNZ has replicated and could be a big piece if the racing is close and they're faster than each other on opposite legs.

#14 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,762 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

It seems like Oracle has a potentially big advantage.  B2 is spending a lot of time close behind B1 in a variety of scenarios.  It looks like they've been working on what moves to make, how the wind shadows work, etc.  It's not something ETNZ has replicated and could be a big piece if the racing is close and they're faster than each other on opposite legs.

Another possible benefit is the wind wash data they can collect from the trailing boat.

#15 david r

david r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Very nice vid.

To my eye their boat handling doesn't look as good as what we saw from LR last week.  Luffing jib, flying the windward hull too high, can't get the boat back down in the water after rounding the bottom mark, just generally on the edge-scary looking.  As we have seen over and over the boats are going side ways at an incredible rate when up on foils around the bottom gate, so that is ground lost.  They will get much better and we will hopefully see a close race.

#16 Landlockedlubber

Landlockedlubber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

Perhaps something OR anticipates it has to practice

#17 c3hammer

c3hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

..The segment with them climbing right to left past Alcatraz is fairly convincing but I think they must have come up from a hotter angle to precipitate the foiling...

They were definitely rounding up from a down wind run past the first mark. They were right in front of Ft. Mason and less than half way to the bottom mark when they rounded up and were caught foiling up wind.

You have to remember this was an hour before race time and the wind was super light.  Luna Rossa didn't do a single foiling jibe around the first mark that day before the race.  For the amount of wind, OR's boat speed seems incredible.  All these clips I've done and a bunch that John N. has posted are all before the races begin when the wind is still building.  It would be very interesting to see what B2 looks like when it's blowing 20 knots.  I can't imagine and just never got a chance to see it in person.

By the way all these movies bar the very first one are real time and not slow motion.

Cheers,

Pete

#18 uflux

uflux

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Sailing...

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Sailing behind doesn't win the cup?!?

#19 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Fairly simple formula as almost all photogs/videogs are filming from some point on the city front which faces north and wind is fairly reliably out of the W to WSW.  If you see the background in a vid moving left to right boats are going downhill, If terrestrial background is moving from right to left, boats are going up hill. That's a big generacism as when the photogs/videogs are facing ENE or E it gets a little confusing

um...Facing north, Yellow Bluff in the background boat going upwind (west) ..... Yellow Bluff appears to move from my lef to my right as the camera tracks the boat.

I think your explaination is backwards re: background movement....or I need a cocktail. :unsure:

#20 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Wow, what a beautiful video.  High quality images. Love that view of the Golden Gate and the fog.  I miss SF...

#21 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

Sailing behind doesn't win the cup?!?

No, but learning how to pass may.

#22 aucklander

aucklander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Seeing this just confirms my thoughts of a few weeks ago when everyone was doing down OR.  They are going to have a rocket ship come race day.   It's going to be 9 zip to someone, our own personal biases and loyalties don't really help us in predicting who :)

#23 LLD

LLD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

Excellent video - and good music, too.  Thanks!  

#24 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

I think they must have come up from a hotter angle to precipitate the foiling.

maybe so - but don't assume they have to. B2 can foil to windward with absolute control. Although, I take it to be more of a gimmick than a breakthrough. I might be wrong though...

#25 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

Awesome vid.  Much appreciated.  Looking forward to how much they can polish up their maneuvers over the next couple weeks.  Then, IT'S ON!!!

#26 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

again, thanks for the video, good job tracking them around. interestingly there seemed to be pretty minor leeway at the top, may be a function of all the speed creating a lot of lift to weather, A-OR looking pretty sharp.

#27 Brutal

Brutal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Sweet film...  Thanks!!!

#28 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

He has a couple of cool video's on his site.  Monaco one is very cool with a bunch of cool sights and cars to see.  Even got a kid sporting a Real Tree jacket, of all things, in Monaco. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

#29 easyrider

easyrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Seeing this just confirms my thoughts of a few weeks ago when everyone was doing down OR.  They are going to have a rocket ship come race day.   It's going to be 9 zip to someone, our own personal biases and loyalties don't really help us in predicting who :)

^^ best post of the month.  The trash talking either way is embarrassingly optimistic.  and naive.  

development continues and the race is on. 

#30 Qman

Qman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

Lovely footage, some nice sailing and some not so nice sailing in there.  glad to see them still doing wheelies some of the time.  

#31 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

More please. Best music...and the lack of editorial commentary greatly appreciated!

#32 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Brilliant editing. Thanks.

#33 brian weslake

brian weslake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Very impressive, boat 2 looks very slick, particularly with the short aero prodder. Looks like downwind sails have gone the way of the Dodo!

#34 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

I woz thynkyng the saem. I had been hoping we woud see this from OR.

Its benefishul to the leeder (how to cuvver a faster bote titely) and the trailer (how to brake tite cuvver by a slower bote)

I hope OR is faster DW in the majoritty of condishuns, and can defend there leed on the UW leg, otherwyz I think thay coud be in big trubbel.

Encurradjed to hear there flybing in lyt condishuns. Dont recall whether stabs had been chainjed by that staedje, tho . . . .

#35 pusslicker

pusslicker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:America's Cup

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Nice vids. Thank you.  Also nice to see some videos that are not solely focused on God's Team.

#36 weta27

weta27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

Great video, thanks. Interesting that B2 still has crew moving across in front of the wing; couldn't see that happening on B1, but that may just have been the timing of the clips shown.

#37 Pukka

Pukka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Wow....impressive. Great vid. Thanks.

Lets hope neither team have too greater advantage resulting in a snore fest.

I want to see close racing but I guess that ain't realistic.

First round of a new class, one will have the edge.

The wind limits/Sept. may yet be the deciding factor.

#38 Peragrin

Peragrin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Oracle while foiling comes out of the water much farther than any other boat I have seen. With the windward rudder often several feet out of the water.

#39 Capt. K

Capt. K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Things that float on liquid H20

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Very impressive, boat 2 looks very slick, particularly with the short aero prodder. Looks like downwind sails have gone the way of the Dodo!

The new bowsprit on B2 is interesting.   Presumably the wide flat surface must serve as an endplate for the jib, trapping the air better?   They sure do think of everything don't they. :)

#40 skins

skins

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Jesus...this annoys the shit out of me.

How about some respect for language?

I don't give a shit if the message is sound, when you come off like a 12 year old teeny bopper the message is lost.

You've had many people comment on your style, why not address them?

You have no originality, Snaggie has been posting on SA for years in the same style and has been much more amusing...your shit is tired and over played. It just looks like you're trying too hard.

Do us all a favor Son...

Its benefishul to the leeder (how to cuvver a faster bote titely) and the trailer (how to brake tite cuvver by a slower bote)

I hope OR is faster DW in the majoritty of condishuns, and can defend there leed on the UW leg, otherwyz I think thay coud be in big trubbel.

Encurradjed to hear there flybing in lyt condishuns. Dont recall whether stabs had been chainjed by that staedje, tho . . . .

#41 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Getting guys to put their white sticky stuff all over my face.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Just put the jackass on ignore

I don't give a shit if the message is sound, when you come off like a 12 year old teeny bopper the message is lost.
You have no originality, Snaggie has been posting on SA for years in the same style and has been much more amusing...your shit is tired and over played. It just looks like you're trying too hard.
Do us all a favor Son...

#42 herbie verstinx

herbie verstinx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

+1k
I tend to skip past his posts! Definitely a 12 yr old

Just put the jackass on ignore

Do us all a favor Son...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users