• 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Any report?

#2 MountainCat

MountainCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, Windsurfing, Skiing and Trail Running.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Matt Struble won based on yesterday's results.   My source tells me that he built his own round bottom and wide transom boat which proved to be very fast.   I'd love to know more about his boat, including the design of his dagger-boards.

Go here for results and daily summaries: http://www.abyc.org/event.cfm?id=539

#3 TracyO

TracyO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:High performance multis
    A-cat nut

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Way to go Woody!  Looked good sitting on that Nikita.  Ben's I suppose?  

#4 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

Any chance that it is an LR5 from the Lindahls and Richard Roarke?

#5 LCD

LCD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

No, Matt did his own boat. LR5 #2 hit's the water in about 10 days.

#6 cbatchelor01

cbatchelor01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

http://www.abyc.org/event.cfm?id=539

#7 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Setup for top five was (boat-mast-sail-foils):

Struble - Struble/Nissan Design-Fiberfoam-Glaser (string)-C boards, no rudder winglets
Mahoney - DNA-Fiberfoam-Brewin-C boards and rudder winglets
Hodges - DNA-Saarberg-Glaser-C boards and rudder winglets
Batchelor - DNA-Fiberfoam-Glaser-C boards and rudder winglets
Herrin - OH Rodgers Design-Fiberfoam-Glaser-C boards, no rudder winglets

Struble was using a new string Glaser sail that was slightly flatter in profile than the DenBen Technora sails Hodges and Batchelor used. Mahoney was using the same Brewin design that won the EC. Herrin at 155 lbs was using a Lars1 on a standard Fiberfoam.

Great regatta and management by ABYC. Lighter than expected conditions with 8-12 knots on day 1, 5-9 knots on day 2, 8-13 knots on day 3, and 8-11 knots for day 4.

#8 MountainCat

MountainCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, Windsurfing, Skiing and Trail Running.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks AClass 230 for the info.   Did Matt build his Struble/Nissan boat with molds or did he use the foam strip method?

Who did Matt buy his d-boards from or did he make them?

#9 cbatchelor01

cbatchelor01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Pentex radial sails for Batchelor and Hodges. Not technocra. The new Glasers are very nice. I've seen several generations of development and their production sail is very nice.

Matt designed the boat, boards and rudders. Ben Hall currently uses Matt's tooling for the C boards he produces. They are similar in profile to the DNA boards. He uses honeycomb core and molds. It is the same red and white boat he sailed at the 2012 worlds in Florida.

#10 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

Way to go Woody!  Looked good sitting on that Nikita.  Ben's I suppose?  

+1 

Lookin' confident.

#11 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Pentex radial sails for Batchelor and Hodges. Not technocra. The new Glasers are very nice. I've seen several generations of development and their production sail is very nice.

Correct Chris, the string sails are Technora construction.

I'm starting to gather my notes about my performance at this event and I believe Matt dominated the event because he was very dialed in to the new Glaser mainsail design since he is directly involved in its development. I sailed the event with a new DenBen which from my discussions with Matt and Jay is slightly fuller in profile shape than the string sail. Matt commented that he did not feel the need to pull on as much downhaul upwind (compared to the Pentex sails) and he was easing his outhaul downwind in the medium air races (10-13 knots). Most of us with the DenBen's are not easing our outhauls downwind as we believe the shape is optimal when only the downhaul is eased. It leads me to believe that perhaps the string sail when properly setup is slightly more efficient than the DenBen. It's encouraging that Matt's performance in this event could be measured against a sailor like Bruce Mahoney who has had two consecutive top 20 finishes at the EC and who also pushes Ben Moon pretty hard downwind (Ben has had a top ten finish at the WC and a top ten finish at the EC in the last two years). So I don't believe the dominating performance of the new sail is a fluke (and of course Matt is an excellent sailor). FWIW Mahoney was sailing with a Brewin but it was new to him since he got it at the end of June after the EC.

In addition to the sail/rig, Matt's boat looked pretty conventional and I believe it is an incorporation of what he believes are the best deign elements of boats like the DNA, Nikita, and the US EVO design. His foils were very conventional.

My final observation is that Matt sails his boat very, very smoothly and seems to always be in the right gear for the conditions. I think at times he made big gains in the racing because he was best at shifting the gears as the breeze picked up or lulled. There were a lot of downwind legs in this event where it was tough to choose whether to trapeze downwind or to stay on the trampoline. Matt seemed to always make the right choice. Several times he extended his lead staying on the trampoline while behind several of us were trying to make it work on the trapeze wire. Back to the woodshed for sure to figure out the proper transition points.

Great regatta, great learning experience. Getting proficient in these boats is a really fun journey for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users