replacing chainplates - tension on tie-down?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

Just had new chainplates made for our hobie33. Not entirely sure how much tension to put on the deck tie-down from the bottom of the chainplate to the bulkhead? blanking on the proper name, sorry. 

thanks

#2 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

Dealing with a similar refit issue. Its the length more than tension and not simple answer.

#3 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

I would think that hand tight on the Hobie is enough

The tension will come from rig loads. The tie down is to transfer the loads to structure, not to create a pre-load. Snug 'em up, lock the turnbuckles; job done.

#4 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

Shouldn't you be back in school?  :o

#5 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

thanks ropetrick. 

hhn92, i think we met when i as still in middle school.... just graduated college this spring. 

#6 sam_crocker

sam_crocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Proper name = tie rod.

#7 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Star, 210, Laser 28 (gone), Hobie 33, Int Fourteen (many years but no more)

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

[attachment=196919:ubolt.jpg]We just put new SS billet machined transition blocks under the deck of our Hobie 33. The aluminum ones were badly corroded around the head of the stud and it was only a matter of time...

A few tricks. The old ones did pop off with some determined leverage from a chisel. Deck lamination survived. to remove the tie rod (without hacking up the interior furniture, we drilled a 3/4" hole in the deck above it and withdrew it from above (it doesn't come out from below without dramatic mods to the "hanging locker" woodwork - which is structural as the tie rod chainplates are bolted to it)

After assembly the hole was filled with filled epoxy. The top plate covers the hole.

To tension the bottom tie rods we "pre loaded" the deck down with my weight plus a friend while the nut was snugged. Did the same on both sides.

Once we figured out the technique, other side took less than an hour.

#8 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

thanks ropetrick. 

hhn92, i think we met when i as still in middle school.... just graduated college this spring. 

Shouldn't you be back in school?  :o

The confusion is understandable. Based on his munchkin-like attributes it would appear that he should be just running off to high school... amirite!?

#9 hyderally

hyderally

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Star, 210, Laser 28 (gone), Hobie 33, Int Fourteen (many years but no more)

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

attachicon.gifubolt.jpgWe just put new SS billet machined transition blocks under the deck of our Hobie 33. The aluminum ones were badly corroded around the head of the stud and it was only a matter of time...

A few tricks. The old ones did pop off with some determined leverage from a chisel. Deck lamination survived. to remove the tie rod (without hacking up the interior furniture, we drilled a 3/4" hole in the deck above it and withdrew it from above (it doesn't come out from below without dramatic mods to the "hanging locker" woodwork - which is structural as the tie rod chainplates are bolted to it)

After assembly the hole was filled with filled epoxy. The top plate covers the hole.

To tension the bottom tie rods we "pre loaded" the deck down with my weight plus a friend while the nut was snugged. Did the same on both sides.

Once we figured out the technique, other side took less than an hour.

one more thing. To help "ease" the U bolts out without banging on them too much, as the mast was up (supported by a Halyard) We took another halyard to each U bolt and taking it to the winch, gave her a lot of tension. A few taps and out she came.

#10 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

yup we've had the old ones out for a while while we had new ones made (slightly different design than original. should be just as strong if not stronger, but definitely a couple ounces heavier). patience and very directed here did the trick for us (5200 breaks down immediately with heat). given that you preloaded and that doesnt seem to have hurt anything, i will follow suit. thanks. 

#11 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

thanks ropetrick. 

I must be getting old..........time flies when your having fun.

Congratulations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users