52 replies to this topic

#1 BWR

BWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Alright I'll get it started. Any info/thoughts. Predictions. Party favors? Looking forward to see all my 'Puck Head' buddies
BR

#2 Daniel Holman

Daniel Holman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Especially given that a couple of the strongest UK teams won't be attending, it'd take a brave man to bet against the reigning 3 time champ. Don't think the new boats are a real advance - merely catching up to the B5 G1 adaptation which was 1st and 3rd at last worlds.

Being controversial I would say look out for Pascoe / Knight sailing the departure design for this regatta assuming a range of conditions. 

On the off chance of solid breeze all week the Partingtons and the Aussies will show well I reckon, as well as the two teams already mentioned.

If it errs more towards the light, Pattison / Tait have been very strong in the UK. 

#3 BWR

BWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Agree,

Archie will be tough to beat, has he been sailing much?  Also agree new boats not a huge leap forward, but that wasn't the goal.  More affordable boats which will at minimum keep up with the B5s, and I think the B6 has certainly done that.  Ive been fortunate enough to have sailed against them a lot and they aren't any slower that is for sure and in certian conditions may be faster than the B5.  Agree boats to watch will certainly be dependant on weather/breeze.  Having grown up on the Great Lakes, my perdiction is - anything goes!  We will probably see a bit of everything, then it will change - quickly.

#4 Haywire

Haywire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

If there is light stuff it will be interesting to watch the smaller Canadian crews (Andrew Yates/John Curtis and Chris Leigh/John Hudson in K3s, along with Jen Provan/Brandy Cocoroach on the B5 mmmotorboat)  They get double wiring before just about anyone.  As the breeze and waves build - it may be a different story... 

#5 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

At the same time last year, we had 10 days with winds over 10kts, and a quarter of the days with over 15...

#6 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Look to either Sorta or Princess to win the bargatta.

#7 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

"garson... another round of *hiccup* orange whips!"

#8 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have no doubt you will be at the top of the home-team finishers but I am pumped to see what the visitors are bringing to the event...

#9 Shu

Shu

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

I see the Southern California fleet is well coordinated, starting two threads on the same topic within two days of each other. I look to Bundy and Lanzinger to re-establish a US presence at the top end, assuming they've been practicing.

#10 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

"garson... another round of *hiccup* orange whips!"

Excellent, I see you are familiar with the training program.

#11 Deep End

Deep End

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

The UK fleet has been in training for a few months now. Duchesne and Van Essen are probably the  frontrunners - they were already comfortable at the September target level in late June, so they should be strong competition for the Canadian pros.

944540_10152997872660562_264755732_n.jpg

#12 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm kinda glad we don't post pictures of our bargatta training regimen... but thanks to Kalu.ca there are some wicked aerial shots of the Canadian Championships from a week ago in Kingston available here.  Apologies for making you sort through a bunch of boring 49er and FX shots before the good stuff: nearly 100 photos of the I14 fleet ripping it up in 15+kts!

#13 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Kalu did a great job on those aerial shots, now lets see some equivalents from the worlds (how awesome that would be for those of us stuck behind desks at the time)...

What kind of weather have you requested for September?

#14 Haywire

Haywire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

It was 'ALL ON' yesterday afternoon in the build up to the I14 Worlds in Toronto.

Sailing back from a weekend in the states on our cruising boat I was happy to see a few of the top crews from GBR, CAN and AUS blasting around the Toronto Islands.

By the time we got close enough to see the snowbirds completing their spirals and dives at the Toronto Airshow overhead, the wind on the water had built to about 20-22 knots from the NW.  We watched one boat flying a blue chute blast onto the world's race course - going ballistic downwind over the 4-foot waves.  We didn't see them sailing back although there was a vague report of splintered carbon...

Back in Toronto Harbour the reigning world champion from GBR did a few circuits to the city and back while the reigning AUS champion appeared right at home testing their gear in the breeze. There were probably 10 or more boats flying through the ferry-lanes all afternoon.   If this wind holds for the championships it will be pretty awesome!!!  

#15 Daniel Holman

Daniel Holman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Which boat broke?

#16 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

when does Worlds start?

#17 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

when does Worlds start?

Measurement starts this coming Sunday, with Team Racing on Monday the 9th.  Fleet racing starts on the 14th.  Full schedule (including the party scene) is here.  

-S

#18 BWR

BWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

Maybe you should bring that 14 over a couple lakes and we can teach you how to make bunks for it.  May as well sail it while you're close!

when does Worlds start?

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

Too damned busy, and not willing to embarrass myself just yet.  Going mothing in Muskegon tomorrow...thanks for the invite though!  As always, if ya want to write up some fun stuff from TO, we'll be happy to run it.

#20 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

Practice conditions where pretty epic down the 401 tonight for those able to make it out.  Looking foreword to seeing you all soon.

Clean, you should make the short drive, even if just for the party.  You can feel free to join the rest of us embarrassing ourselves with unorthodox sailing techniques.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jA-7mzjLmNg

#21 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:International Canoe

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's actually killing me that 14 worlds are coming to North America in the exact same month as canoe worlds in san francisco. Scheduling is a harsh mistress.

DRC

#22 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Practice conditions where pretty epic down the 401 tonight for those able to make it out.  Looking foreword to seeing you all soon.

Clean, you should make the short drive, even if just for the party.  You can feel free to join the rest of us embarrassing ourselves with unorthodox sailing techniques.

So I always look forward to seeing the BFB movies, and that one is one of my favourite thus far. I can't wait to see what gets pulled out of the worlds!

#23 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Would have made for good movies last night - a strong north breeze lead to big puffs and shifts as turbulence came off the city.  What a gongshow...

#24 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

heavily considering it.

#25 BWR

BWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

heavily considering it.

Hell, I'll even take for a Pony ride if you make!  Plus show you how to make bunks!

#26 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

Come for the party, stay for the sailing.

#27 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

the exact same month as canoe worlds in san francisco. Scheduling is a harsh mistress.

and the Americas cup, and the little Americas cup, and big boat series..........

#28 Jethrow

Jethrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

Aren't the IC worlds next year?

#29 Del Olsen

Del Olsen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

Aren't the IC worlds next year?

Yes, the IC Worlds are Sept 7-15 2014 at Richmond YC .
More on that soon.

#30 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

David, you should grab that blue I14 and come North.

#31 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:International Canoe

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

If only the university would give me credit for it I'd be there in an instant. Still amazed I misread this and thought the 14 worlds were next year. yikes..

DRC

#32 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

It sounds like team GBR1 wrapped up the team racing with a flawless record.  Any good stories?

One more sleep, I can't wait for this event to kick off.

#33 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Practice race done. Cloudy skies. 51 F. 18 from the north with gusts in the 20s. Up wind launch with a recorded 30 kt gust caused carnage. Half the boats launched six boats finished. All hipothermic. Only comment was COLD. Devine first, Irwin second. Today is first real race. Sunny warmer and lighter

#34 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

First race done
Three time in a row champ archie massy first ,looking for a fourpeat. andy partington second sailing with his son tom

Sunny but still cold -off to Canada tire to look for touques (fuzzy hats) and thicker fleeses for under the wetsuit

#35 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Practice race done. Cloudy skies. 51 F. 18 from the north with gusts in the 20s. Up wind launch with a recorded 30 kt gust caused carnage. Half the boats launched six boats finished. All hipothermic. Only comment was COLD.  ..........

...ahh,TO's up to it's usual fall-time tricks,I see :huh:

#36 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Lay day Wednesday
No wind Thursday and Friday lost to no wind also. PRO got excited about 1:30 after hours of waiting and sent us out. But the breeze died on the way out and back we went. Tomorrow is the last day of the regatta and hoping for two races. But the forecast is sketchy. Three time world champ Archie Massie is leading by two points
And he is my hero. In his tool box he only has car bog and a hammer

#37 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

The legend of "Jungle Fire" returns...

#38 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

So Princess, who's leading the bargatta? PS - aerial shots in Kingston courtesy of 49er.ca ;-)

#39 gui

gui

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

The legend of "Jungle Fire" returns...

ouch, I still have jungle fire night mare every now and then.
pics or ...

#40 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Rain and light building to rain and maybe ten kts out of the south. Archie and Dan win the last race to win the regatta convincingly. That's four in a row for Archie. Ouch

#41 Matt D

Matt D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Bargatta victory probably goes to one of the German boats.  Those guys are machines.  I can't even claim top Canadian, as Brandy and Squeegy trounced me.

#42 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Bargatta victory probably goes to one of the German boats.  Those guys are machines.  I can't even claim top Canadian, as Brandy and Squeegy trounced me.

Like :rolleyes:

#43 Andrew P

Andrew P

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

https://www.facebook...504374752985086

Link to vid of scratch band going off on the night before the lay day.

#44 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Given the limited sailing, any conclusions about all the new tech assembled, AM still gyber-less?

#45 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

https://www.facebook...504374752985086

Link to vid of scratch band going off on the night before the lay day.

....NOICE!!!

#46 Skaf

Skaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Given the limited sailing, any conclusions about all the new tech assembled, AM still gyber-less?

Correct.  No twist-tiller for t-foil control, either.  

#47 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

How'd the K3 fair?

I'm surprised no more twist foil control.  I hated having to reach into the boat to pull a line. Way better, for me, to just stay hiked and twist a tiller at will.

#48 fjb

fjb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

The top K3 sailed by Canadian 49er team Gordon and Trevor was 10th. They convincingly won the 4th race. Several used boats are for sale, unfortunately at a rumored staggeringly high price. These boats are very cleanly rigged (its all hidden under the foredeck) and light weight. Most seem to have a twist grip foil adjuster very nicely machined by Rob Paterson. I confess i don't know for certain but believe they use gybers.

All 7 Henderson Boat Company B6's were there as well as the first British B6. B6's finished 5th and 9th. All Henderson boats use gybers and twist grip. The British boat neither. The B6's had many different rigs- CST, C-Tec, Bieker 5 and Bieker 6 rigs. They all seem to work just fine. Hull 1 is on its way to japan and Hull 7 was sold to some Torontians. Go figure!

Two single spreader rigs finished in the top 10. Join the revolution!

Archie may not use a gyber but he uses a way longer board than most. Henderson's system, designed and engineered by Paul Bieker has a very clean hull transition.

Twist grip mechanisms are being manufactured by Ovington, Henderson and Rob Paterson. There is a pretty good new system that eliminates the bungee and positively winds on and off. Thanks to Dave Hayter for bringing it and wheels to North America!

#49 BWR

BWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

We've been trying to tell you about the whole wheel thing for an extended period of time. You'll only listen if some Aussie tells you about it though! People in other parts (not Seattle) of THIS country have been using these wheels for a prolonged period!

#50 Daniel Holman

Daniel Holman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

What, pray tell, is the "wheel" and why is it a good thing when the top 5 boats are running string foil adjustment?

#51 fjb

fjb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Dan- first off i don't think any of the top 5 boats' results were influenced by whether they used string foil or tiller adjusters. That being said i am pretty sure they all used wheels-on their dollies/cradles to launch and move their boats. Class humor directed at Seattle guys. Most use stacking cradles which work great for travel but are not so launch friendly. Dave H. simply fitted his out with castor wheel to help movement. Come to think of it, he dominated all the regattas in the U.S. before he added them. Hmm. There could be something to think about. I wonder if he didnt have wheels if...

Cheers.

#52 Daniel Holman

Daniel Holman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

A ha hah I thought given the context it was something relating to novel foil adjustment.
Yes wheels are fairly prevalent in the UK 14 fleet, we all swear by them, particularly when launching off a gently shelving beach at low tide, which occasionally happens!

#53 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

....^^^^^...  that's a good'un!! :mellow:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users