#1 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

Hi All,

As I am sure most are aware the plan is to have the Aussie Multihull Nationals in Port Lincoln in 2014.

These will be associated with the Lincoln Week Regatta 2014.

The regatta is planned between Monday 24th and Friday 28th of February 2014.

This regatta will be raced at no higher than Cat 5 day requirements.

For those that are interested in the longer races the Adelaide to Port Lincoln Bluewater Classic will be held starting on Friday 21st Feb. 2014.

This is a Cat 3 event. It has been previously and I presume will be again that owners of boats need to make sure they are available on Thursday 

20th Feb in case the race committee decide to do a random audit of safety gear on the vessel.

Accommodation can be booked through the Port Lincoln Visitor Centre found at http://www.visitport...net/default.asp

If you are planning on attending then you may wish to look into booking accommodation sooner rather than later.

At this stage it looks like all the Multis will be on the Eastern arm of the Lincoln Cove marina which has a walkway up to South Point Drive. If we get enough then they will be rafted together so please bring some fenders!! This is different from when we were around in the commercial area.

Any questions please post or PM me.

More details as they come to hand.

Cheers

#2 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Thanks Wilpy, we booked accommodation and a berth today. Another life adventure!

#3 Peccadillo

Peccadillo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Great! Peccadillo will be there ... guess that pretty much uses up the marina arm :P

#4 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, football, family.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

If Indian Chief is going, then Bare Essentials will be there too. Another light wind regatta we hope.....

#5 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Good luck and best wishes to the poor bugger running the show.

#6 Tony Considine

Tony Considine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Mad Max is also coming and looking forward to a rematch with a bit more breeze

#7 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Interests:Racing and cruising sailing multihulls.
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hoping to have Two Tribes there. Had our first sail today in very light wind. The speed in the conditions surprised me. Looking forward to the Lock Crowther Memorial in October, then to Port Lincoln. I don't think we will be up to the Adelaide to Lincoln race this time. Still lots to learn about this boat.

#8 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

If Indian Chief is going, then Bare Essentials will be there too. Another light wind regatta we hope.....

oooooooooo you need big sails to go fast in the light my friend!!! wouldn't be going back to screechers by any chance?

#9 multihull

multihull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Racing multihulls, cruising on multihulls & sailing on multihulls that can actually sail.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've still got my crew trying to sail Rhythmic back from Airlie Beach to Brisbane in kind weather, 650nm is a long way. How far is it to Port Lincoln from Brisbane and can the organisers guarantee favourable delivery weather for the voyage through Bass Strait and into the Great Australian Bight (the Southern Ocean) or maybe I should just use a chain saw and 2 of Wilpy's trucks.

#10 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

I've still got my crew trying to sail Rhythmic back from Airlie Beach to Brisbane in kind weather, 650nm is a long way. How far is it to Port Lincoln from Brisbane and can the organisers guarantee favourable delivery weather for the voyage through Bass Strait and into the Great Australian Bight (the Southern Ocean) or maybe I should just use a chain saw and 2 of Wilpy's trucks.

You might be waiting a while its light to really light off Brisbane for the next couple of days.

#11 multihull

multihull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Racing multihulls, cruising on multihulls & sailing on multihulls that can actually sail.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Tonight Rhythmic is anchored comfortably at Garry's Achorage in the Sandy Straits, Fraser Island and due home early Saturday morning thanks to the fantastic effort of skipper Bruce Dickson and hot multihull crew, R Farquhar & G Rivett from NSW who both signed up from my post on this forum.

#12 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Or you could do it in a Sprint. I know of one for sale.

#13 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

According to Google it is 2300km through all the tourist hot spots from Brisbane to Port Lincoln. (Be happy Mr Multihull as that is only 100km longer than from home to Brisbane for us)

Headwinds are not a problem on that route and I find the average achievable speed to be very good. (once you are off Queensland roads anyway (some in NSW and i guess some of ours as well))

If anyone wants more info on the drive and suggestion please ask - done it once or twice!!

Sailing around if you have some available time on your hands can be quite easy as the weather systems are quite slow going through at that time of year so the SE winds blow for around 4 days at a time - enough to get from Melbourne to Adelaide, you can stop quite often until you get to Cape Jaffa (Robe/Kingston SE) then it is a dash for Wirrina / Adelaide as there are places to stop but very poor anchoring as shown by the number of wrecks along that coastline

#14 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

According to Google it is 2300km through all the tourist hot spots from Brisbane to Port Lincoln. (Be happy Mr Multihull as that is only 100km longer than from home to Brisbane for us)
Headwinds are not a problem on that route and I find the average achievable speed to be very good. (once you are off Queensland roads anyway (some in NSW and i guess some of ours as well))
If anyone wants more info on the drive and suggestion please ask - done it once or twice!!

Sailing around if you have some available time on your hands can be quite easy as the weather systems are quite slow going through at that time of year so the SE winds blow for around 4 days at a time - enough to get from Melbourne to Adelaide, you can stop quite often until you get to Cape Jaffa (Robe/Kingston SE) then it is a dash for Wirrina / Adelaide as there are places to stop but very poor anchoring as shown by the number of wrecks along that coastline
Lots to see and do in Sth Australia too. A holiday in SA before or after the regatta is a worthwhile proposition. We are looking forward to it.

#15 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

Lots to see and do in Sth Australia too. A holiday in SA before or after the regatta is a worthwhile proposition. We are looking forward to it.

Nuddy, it was a rather tongue in cheek comment about the "top tourist spots" but I agree that there is a lot to do once you get here.

There are some very "interesting" spots to stop on  the drive from Brisvegas to Port Lincoln and some i would not choose to spend a night in!

#16 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

We lived in Adelaide for 6 months in 1976. Been back a few times since. Barb had a school friend who married a Pt Lincoln boy and lived there back then. Don't know if they are still there, it will be fun to find out.

#17 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi All,
As I am sure most are aware the plan is to have the Aussie Multihull Nationals in Port Lincoln in 2014.

For those that are interested in the longer races the Adelaide to Port Lincoln Bluewater Classic will be held starting on Friday 21st Feb. 2014.
This is a Cat 3 event. It has been previously and I presume will be again that owners of boats need to make sure they are available on Thursday 
20th Feb in case the race committee decide to do a random audit of safety gear on the vessel.

Accommodation can be booked through the Port Lincoln Visitor Centre found at http://www.visitport...net/default.asp
If you are planning on attending then you may wish to look into booking accommodation sooner rather than later.
At this stage it looks like all the Multis will be on the Eastern arm of the Lincoln Cove marina which has a walkway up to South Point Drive. If we get enough then they will be rafted together so please bring some fenders!! This is different from when we were around in the commercial area.

Cheers

I think you said at Wangi that you would be weighing all boats at Lincoln. Is that correct? I hope so as thw weigh bridge shuffle is a joke.
If you are weighing I take it that it will be done in the water.

#18 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hi All,

Cheers

I think you said at Wangi that you would be weighing all boats at Lincoln. Is that correct? I hope so as thw weigh bridge shuffle is a joke.
If you are weighing I take it that it will be done in the water.

Weighing was done for a lot of boats at Airlie this year, therefore it will be up to individual owners if they wish to be weighed.

There is a commercial wharf along which boats could be picked up from the water quite easily.

NOR coming very soon!!

#19 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Lincoln Week Regatta will be sailed under Cat 5 of the blue book. Anyone that is coming please check that you comply with ALL the requirements of the category as audit may be conducted!

NOR out soon

#20 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

Lincoln Week Regatta will be sailed under Cat 5 of the blue book. Anyone that is coming please check that you comply with ALL the requirements of the category as audit may be conducted!

NOR out soon

Great news!
Working on Cat 4 now for Lock Crowther Memorial Ocean Race.
Next will be Cat 2 for Coffs Harbour, if the ocean race goes well.
Cat 5 by Feb should be no problem.

#21 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Notice of Race now out
http://lincolnweek.c...ce-of-race.html

#22 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

$200 entry fee for 7 races- bargain of the century!

#23 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Cat 3 for the Lincoln Race - excellent! How far is it, the race, how far by road, who is entering? What is the arrangement if any to get cars and trailers to Lincoln? When do entries open?
Wondering about the risk of not getting to Lincoln and missing the Nationals?

#24 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

Port Lincoln is 650km by road but there is a ferry 160km from Adelaide at Wallaroo, goes to Lucky Bay then 180km to Port Lincoln. It is no cheaper than driving the whole way but way more relaxing as you get into Lucky Bay just as the movie finishes. It is a busy time for the ferry so book real early I'm pretty sure that Dec 31st is already booked out.

Any of you guys going to race in the Goolwa to Meningie race November 16th?

#25 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

Ok 650 km by road, interesting. We lived in Adelaide in 1976 and visited friends in Pt
Lincoln for a weekend. Drove back to Adelaide on Sunday night for work Monday morning.
Still it was 76 and we were in a 240z. Hit 125 MPH on the old z speedo so probably averaged over 100km/h, maybe 6 hours. 6pm to midnight, not too bad. The things we do when young and foolish.

How far is the Lincoln race in nautical miles?

Note: 9m minimum for multis in Lincoln race.

#26 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Approx 150nm for the race, normally a 40nm one tack beat, 40nm reach, 70nm run

#27 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Madaboutcats,
See you there in Meningie, should be a few larger multis given what we have heard.

#28 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Looking forward to seeing you guys again, is there a place for old cruising type F boats? My mate has a 40ft Farrier, I've been on at him to do this nats but he reckons he'll get laughed out of the water if he shows up

#29 Peccadillo

Peccadillo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Based on my experience, every multi will get a warm welcome! Great regatta in a great location. Your mate should come for sure

#30 wineglass

wineglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Looking forward to seeing you guys again, is there a place for old cruising type F boats? My mate has a 40ft Farrier, I've been on at him to do this nats but he reckons he'll get laughed out of the water if he shows up

OMR works well for older boats, your mate will be most welcome, will need to be measured, we are hoping to be able to weigh boats at Lincoln

#31 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

I reckon there will be no laughing at a 40ft Farrier. Very welcome at the nationals. We are all there to have fun and the more boats the more fun.

Just make sure he has insurance. We had one 'cruising sailor' at Wangi who didn't want to be insured, which is ok as long as you don't want to race.

If you do want to race you must take the essential steps to protect the organisers and other competitors so I guess it is either have insurance or lodge a 10 million dollar bond. We usually have a number of divisions with different length courses to cater for faster and slower boats so that we all finish at about the same time.

Sometimes the crew from the slower boats get back to the bar before those from the faster boats. All part of the fun and no-one gets laughed out of the water. We do a lot of laughing but it is all in fun and usually about the things people do, not the boat they sail. We love all multihulls.

#32 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks, I'll let him know, would like to crew for him if I can clear a bit of work up in time, if anyone needs a bit of ballast getting along the coast from Melbourne before Christmas give a shout 

#33 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

I saw something on Facebook about the regatta but can't find it again.

Any news?

#34 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I saw something on Facebook about the regatta but can't find it again.
Any news?

Try www.lincolnweek.com.au

Top yacht still working on the entries, available soon!!!

#35 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

I just checked the pricing to put vehicle and boat/trailer onto the Lucky Bay Ferry which saves about 150ks getting to Lincoln. $30 per metre for the trailer plus a standard fee for the tow vehicle and passengers. might get a bit of change out of $400. phew sure glad i checked that. looks like its the additional 150ks up to Port Augusta and down to Lincoln.

#36 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

I just checked the pricing to put vehicle and boat/trailer onto the Lucky Bay Ferry which saves about 150ks getting to Lincoln. $30 per metre for the trailer plus a standard fee for the tow vehicle and passengers. might get a bit of change out of $400. phew sure glad i checked that. looks like its the additional 150ks up to Port Augusta and down to Lincoln.

Think we might drive it and eat and drink the $400.

#37 slick

slick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Anybody not sure about driving to Lincoln should pm Wilpy he lives here and is the oracle of knowledge of this a rear don't let the remoteness put you off I have been to port Augusta recently on the roads are fine. I would not travel in dark far to much road kill for towing. All things going well we will be there

#38 Goldfinger01

Goldfinger01

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Anybody not sure about driving to Lincoln should pm Wilpy he lives here and is the oracle of knowledge of this a rear don't let the remoteness put you off I have been to port Augusta recently on the roads are fine. I would not travel in dark far to much road kill for towing. All things going well we will be there

The cost of the ferry is pretty steep and really doesn't save any time. Apart from that the drive through Pt Ugutta is pretty interesting. Roads to Lincoln are also in excellent condition. The roo's are not nearly as bad as in outback NSW and Qld so driving after dark would only be moderately terrifying.
Strongly suggest anyone with a boat that qualifies does the Lincoln Race. It's usually a great sprint. If you bring the little woman she can drive the trailer around. Well if she really loved you she would. For the women in particular who don't want to get involved in the racing they usually organize a range of alternate activities. Eg Watching grass grow, strip bingo etc. Only joking I have no idea what they organize. But there is plenty to do like shark diving, tuna feeding, bush walking, winery tours, surfing.
If we Sth Aussies can travel to Airlie there is no excuse for anyone not to come to Lincoln.
Fair winds, flat water and small town hospitality.

#39 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

We will be making a holiday of it as we haven't been to Sth Aust for a few years and haven't been to Port Lincoln since 1976. Had friends there back then, no idea if they are still there.
The 'little woman" will be sailing so not available to take the car and trailer around.
Was thinking of doing the Adelaide to Lincoln race but thought again, the problem of getting the car and trailer to Lincoln and the possibility of damaging the boat and missing out on the nationals, which is the whole purpose of the trip.
After driving all the way from lake mac to South Aust' I don't think we will be paying $400 to save 150 km.
Eagerly awaiting the online entry so that we can sign up.

#40 Goldfinger01

Goldfinger01

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

You've got to get organized Nuddy. You finish the race the "little woman jumps on the plane and flies back to Adelaide and drives back to Lincoln with the trailer on Sunday while you're enjoying a quiet little drink with the boys. The other possibility is sail the boat back to Adelaide after the regatta which is something we have done many times.
What boat are you brining over.

#41 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

You've got to get organized Nuddy. You finish the race the "little woman jumps on the plane and flies back to Adelaide and drives back to Lincoln with the trailer on Sunday while you're enjoying a quiet little drink with the boys. The other possibility is sail the boat back to Adelaide after the regatta which is something we have done many times.

Yeah Wilpy knows all the back roads. He sent me on a ripper from Airlie saved us about 120ks, called the Fitzroy Development road which runs from inland MacKay to not far from the NSW boarder........Only one problem with Wilpy's route was he forgot to mention to turn off before the 140ks of red dirt road. When we met him that night in a fly blown town called Cross Roads he had that gentle smile on his dial saying ohhh yeah there's a bit of dirt and you can tun off at Banana and get back on the Leichhardt hwy, nice one :-) Roos weren't too much of a problem but Brahma Bulls were!!!!

#42 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

The road is great from Adelaide to Lincoln, no ferry adds about 300km but still saves heaps, no shortcuts so no dirt, try not to start your trip from Adelaide on a Friday afternoon, any of you doing the Goolwa to Meningie should work on Trevor to get his Tri to the Nats

#43 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Two Tribes of course. I'm not a good enough sailor to make it worthwhile bringing the tri over and very much hope that it will be sold by then.

For those interested this tri, with the right sailors aboard, is capable of line hons in Div 2 and a big margin on OMR as proven in 2008.

#44 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

Online entry available now.

http://lincolnweek.c...line-entry.html

#45 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:38 AM

Online entry available now.

http://lincolnweek.c...line-entry.html

Two Tribes Entered

#46 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

Do we need to book berthing for trailable multihulls for the regatta or is there somewhere to leave them other than a marina berth?

#47 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

NOR out soon

Online entry asks us to lodge a copy of safety cert and insurance schedule. Insurance no prob'. I have cat 7 safety cert' and the boat is up to cat 4 but no cert.

Do I need to get a cat 5 cert or is self check sufficient?

#48 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

With judicious use of the chainsaw should only need 1 truck.

#49 Peccadillo

Peccadillo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

From Cape Otway to Adelaide is mostly SE at this time of year, so great downwind trip. Just a matter of timing when leaving from Port Phillip or Westernport. Generally pretty stable time of year for weather down here. SE still blowing for trip back though - did 500 nm upwind in 2012 on return! After studying the weather patterns we went due south from Port Lincoln and stayed well away from the coast until we were west of Cape Otway. Dream trip back pretty much on one tack from Lincoln to Otway.

#50 Goldfinger01

Goldfinger01

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

NOR out soon

Online entry asks us to lodge a copy of safety cert and insurance schedule. Insurance no prob'. I have cat 7 safety cert' and the boat is up to cat 4 but no cert.

General approach is that you lodge the form stating compliance and if they do a random check and find you don't you'll be out of the regatta. Zero tolerance. Just make sure you comply. If in doubt about how the regs may be interpreted ask me in the first instance.
At Airlie boats were required to carry a storm jib under Cat 4. Many didn't. Down here that would see you subject to protest by anyone and if caught short in a random audit out of the regatta.

#51 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

NOR out soon

General approach is that you lodge the form stating compliance and if they do a random check and find you don't you'll be out of the regatta. Zero tolerance. Just make sure you comply. If in doubt about how the regs may be interpreted ask me in the first instance.
At Airlie boats were required to carry a storm jib under Cat 4. Many didn't. Down here that would see you subject to protest by anyone and if caught short in a random audit out of the regatta.
What are you talking about?Airlie has always been cat 5.Why do you continue to think everyone at Airlie was cheating?Pull ya head in clown.

#52 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yes, I'd better ask you rather than check the blue book. Blue book says storm jib only for cat 1 and cat 2. Heavy weather jib (very different to storm jib, my No.2 complies) req'd for cat 3-5.
So will I need a storm jib for the nationals?

#53 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

Get the right certificate and then there will be no debate or room for various interpretation

#54 offtherails

offtherails

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Nuddy wrote:

Yes, I'd better ask you rather than check the blue book. Blue book says storm jib only for cat 1 and cat 2. Heavy weather jib (very different to storm jib, my No.2 complies) req'd for cat 3-5.

Last time I was in Port Lincoln we had 55 knots , admittedly that was October - so I reckon storm jib might be prudent (or plenty of OP rum to sit out the gales, ) 

#55 Frassld

Frassld

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Nuddy I think it needs to be day glow orange or similar as well now.

#56 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Carbon sails are also out for storm jibs.Read the book guys it's very easy.

As this is a CAT 5 event none of this matters,unless it's up to Stinkfinger and then you might need accommodation too.

If he has the power to ditch you from the event for ANY infringement check out rule 4.07.9 special regs.There are a few other sneaky little things in there as well. 

This is the 2nd time that stinkfinger has accused "most of the fleet at Airlie" of not meeting the rules,he has yet to back to any of it with facts.

#57 Goldfinger01

Goldfinger01

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Carbon sails are also out for storm jibs.Read the book guys it's very easy.

As this is a CAT 5 event none of this matters,unless it's up to Stinkfinger and then you might need accommodation too.

If he has the power to ditch you from the event for ANY infringement check out rule 4.07.9 special regs.There are a few other sneaky little things in there as well. 

This is the 2nd time that stinkfinger has accused "most of the fleet at Airlie" of not meeting the rules,he has yet to back to any of it with facts.

You really are an angry little man with a very limited vocabulary. Why don't you see your doctor about getting your meds changed. They're obviously not working or you've had to much sun.
I've accused no one of cheating they're your words. I don't think the lack of a storm jib affects the outcome of a race and can be weighed in anyway as WE. Compliance with the spec regs is another matter entirely and failure to do so leads a boat open to protest. This is a just a simple fact. While it has never crossed my mind to protest a boat over a special regs issue in your case I think I would make an exception.
I'm not running the regatta. PLYC is the organizing authority in conjunction with the MYCSA. I'm just warning people that they are pretty hot on reg compliance. Just ask the guys who were DSQ'd for having an out of date flare when audited before the start of a race. Not even given the opportunity to go out and buy an in date flare.
If your boat doesn't have life lines better make sure you have a PFD type 1 and be prepared to wear it.
If you have a moment get your mum to read Special Regs Clause 2. If you get through that then go to Clause 4.24 and get some one to explain it to you.
Now get out of my fucking face moron.

#58 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Get the right certificate and then there will be no debate or room for various interpretation

Not so, the on the spot auditor may interpret differently to the auditor who issued the certificate.

#59 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

#60 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

At Airlie boats were required to carry a storm jib under Cat 4.

Current Blue Book says storm jib only for cat 1 and cat 2. Not required for cat 4

#61 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

[i]

Last time I was in Port Lincoln we had 55 knots , admittedly that was October - so I reckon storm jib might be prudent ([color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]or plenty of OP rum to sit out the gales, ) 

If it is blowing 55 knots I will be sitting it out.

#62 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

• Goldfinger01
  • Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:34 PM
Speaking of Cat 5 I reckon half the fleet at ABRW last year could have been protested out for non compliance. It will be interesting to see I anyone gets nailed at the Nats.

NON COMPLIANCE is cheating ,care to back this claim or just throw more abuse?

#63 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

There is a big difference between a "storm jib" required for cat1 and a "heavy weather jib" required for cat5.
Put the shovel down stinky that hole is nearly big enough for you and your ego.

#64 Cutter

Cutter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

looks like a bit of post deleting going on here, Airlie was Cat5. We  passed the spot inspection without issue, didn't hear of anyone else having a hiccup with spot inspection, thought most were done.    

If Goldfinger is from Port Lincoln he's not a real good advertisement for making the trip......

#65 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

There is a big difference between a "storm jib" required for cat1 and a "heavy weather jib" required for cat5.Put the shovel down stinky that hole is nearly big enough for you and your ego.

Storm Jib is required for Cat 1 and Cat 2. Heavy Weather Jib is required for Cat 1 through to Cat 5.
Gold finger stated Storm Jib is required for Cat 4. Is this a new requirement as an amendment to the 2013-2015 blue book or an additional YASA requirement or an additional PLYC requirement or a very strange interpretation that we need to be aware of if going to the nationals?

#66 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

Is it any wonder that people laugh at we multihull sailors.

What a shitfight

#67 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:39 AM

Is it any wonder that people laugh at we multihull sailors.

What a shitfight

All because of the vitriolic ramblings of an old man with a fetish for orange sails.Wow our very own gybeset.

Having said that I have total faith in Wilpy and co's ability to run a fantastic regatta.

#68 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

All because of the vitriolic ramblings of an old man with a fetish for orange sails.Wow our very own gybeset.

Having said that I have total faith in Wilpy and co's ability to run a fantastic regatta.

What is missing, or not, is some venom by the crusty Johny Saint to round out an all inclusive SA thread lolz!

#69 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the water

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Just thought I would help.....have you all got your radio license....the YA special regs makes for a very good read.

#70 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just thought I would help.....have you all got your radio license....the YA special regs makes for a very good read.

Yes I have and yes they do.
If our "mate" had simply stated that he had concerns about the size of heavy weather jibs as stated in special regs 4.24.1 c instead of accusing people he would have got a much better reception.

A few years back we entered Spudgun in a cat3 race.Our entry was not rejected but we were politly told that we would fail the safety inspection.We all read that book many times.The boat was totally stripped and reassembled.When the mast went up with a hi-vis patch and sail numbers on it they wanted to know why.We quoted the relevant rule and they scuttled off to learn something new.Thats when they realised we were serious.Passed the inspection...just.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of a shit fight about rules as long as people are clear about their point.

#71 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

It would be a long drive to not race......some people get a bit caught up in private fights , as much fun as they are ......enjoy

#72 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yes I have and yes they do.
If our "mate" had simply stated that he had concerns about the size of heavy weather jibs as stated in special regs 4.24.1 c instead of accusing people he would have got a much better reception.

A few years back we entered Spudgun in a cat3 race.Our entry was not rejected but we were politly told that we would fail the safety inspection.We all read that book many times.The boat was totally stripped and reassembled.When the mast went up with a hi-vis patch and sail numbers on it they wanted to know why.We quoted the relevant rule and they scuttled off to learn something new.Thats when they realised we were serious.Passed the inspection...just.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of a shit fight about rules as long as people are clear about their point.

I'm still confused. Can someone please reply to my previous post about storm jibs?

#73 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Restricted Operator's Certificate of proficiency in Radiotelephony Date of issue 26/7/1990.

Been reading the special regs (or equivalent) since 1980.

#74 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Nuddy,rule 4.24.1 c ;clearly states that for Cat 5 you need a HEAVY WEATHER JIB of area not greater than 13.5% x the height of the fore triangle (I) squared,without reef points.
There is no requirement for this sail to be any special colour.

All the BS about Airlie,cat4 and storm jibs is simply that BS.
As Cutter said the boats that had spot checks done at Airlie passed ALL requirements.

This event is cat 5 so no need for a bright orange storm jib unless stated in the sailing instructions.
Wilpy states the event will be no higher than cat5 day requirements so I would feel quite happy about full compliance without a storm jib.

#75 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks Auscat. It also states the same for Cat 4 and for Cat 3.
Gold finger has stated that a storm jib is required for Cat 4.
I am assuming that he is an accredited auditor and so I want a clarification from him, particularly as he has warned about 'interpretation'.
Seems to me that if he interprets the rule as requiring a storm jib for cat 4 it would be consistent that he would interpret it as requiring it for Cat 3 and Cat 5.
It is easy enough for you and I to read the blue book and interpret it as we read it but we are not in Pt Lincoln yet.
Gold finger has suggested checking with him first for interpretation and has mentioned zero tolerance (go home).
So I am trying to do as he suggests. I will get a orange storm jib for the nationals if it means I won't be sent home but my No.2 jib qualifies as a heavy weather jib.
Gold finger please clarify as you offered.

#76 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

Nuddy,rule 4.24.1 c ;clearly states that for Cat 5 you need a HEAVY WEATHER JIB of area not greater than 13.5% x the height of the fore triangle (I) squared,without reef points.There is no requirement for this sail to be any special colour.All the BS about Airlie,cat4 and storm jibs is simply that BS.As Cutter said the boats that had spot checks done at Airlie passed ALL requirements.This event is cat 5 so no need for a bright orange storm jib unless stated in the sailing instructions.Wilpy states the event will be no higher than cat5 day requirements so I would feel quite happy about full compliance without a storm jib.

All correct,except , now go to,page 256 and read 4.24.3 a, b,c,d,e. then 4.24.4........all good fun

#77 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:06 AM

Nuddy,rule 4.24.1 c ;clearly states that for Cat 5 you need a HEAVY WEATHER JIB of area not greater than 13.5% x the height of the fore triangle (I) squared,without reef points.There is no requirement for this sail to be any special colour.All the BS about Airlie,cat4 and storm jibs is simply that BS.As Cutter said the boats that had spot checks done at Airlie passed ALL requirements.This event is cat 5 so no need for a bright orange storm jib unless stated in the sailing instructions.Wilpy states the event will be no higher than cat5 day requirements so I would feel quite happy about full compliance without a storm jib.

All correct,except , now go to,page 256 and read 4.24.3 a, b,c,d,e. then 4.24.4........all good fun

http://www.vidpicpro...ihulls&start=0/
Find a boat in here that doesn't make the mainsail reefing criteria.Well understood and followed.
4.24.4a storm jib and try sail...irrelevant here.
4.24.4b a recommendation is not enforceable unless stated in sailing instructions.

#78 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Seems to be correct, cat 5 only asks for a "heavy weather jib" , so there is compliance. And all this done without yelling.....this can,t be SA....where are the fuck wits.....had to get that in

#79 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

The Lincoln thing is looking interesting .....might see if I can get a ride....on a mono hull , and watch the fight.

#80 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

The Lincoln thing is looking interesting .....might see if I can get a ride....on a mono hull , and watch the fight.

There won't be a fight,this is as bad as it gets with multis on the whole.Apart from the odd cat fight.Sorry couldn't resist :)

#81 dfa_mitchell

dfa_mitchell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

The good ship Mailce is loaded on the trailer and heading south over Christmas. She is having a short stopover in Vic to do Gellong Week before turning West. We can't wait for what I'm sure will be 2 great regattas and plenty of beers with mates. Thanks already to team Wilpy for all their help.

#82 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

The good ship Mailce is loaded on the trailer and heading south over Christmas. She is having a short stopover in Vic to do Gellong Week before turning West. We can't wait for what I'm sure will be 2 great regattas and plenty of beers with mates. Thanks already to team Wilpy for all their help.

Great news. See you at Lincoln.

#83 EASY

EASY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Nice Dale, catch you guys in Geelong we are doing the same trip with Box Office. 

#84 dfa_mitchell

dfa_mitchell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hey matty, is Dave making the trip too. Hope the Morticia boys will join the road trip, they have already entered gellong week.

#85 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nice Dale, catch you guys in Geelong we are doing the same trip with Box Office. 

Great news, go the BoxBoat.

#86 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

Accommodation booked!

Pt Lincoln is filling up fast, if you haven't booked yet get on with it or you may miss out.

#87 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

Currently 17 multis entered and only 20 monos, will have to see if the multi fleet can out number the mono fleet the year!
www.lincolnweek.com.au to enter

#88 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Currently 17 multis entered and only 20 monos, will have to see if the multi fleet can out number the mono fleet the year!

Picking up The Bare mast tomorrow so we will definitely be there. Can't wait to be on the water again...

#89 windwhacker

windwhacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Picking up The Bare mast tomorrow so we will definitely be there. Can't wait to be on the water again...

Who did you end up using for the new mast out of interest? Same height as the last one?

#90 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Excellent news!! You had us worried that you might not make it. I know Rob has your new sails ready. Bare will be a weapon.
Can't wait. The clash, Bare, Morticia, Malice, Mad Max, Chief, Box Office, Wilpy, Two Tribes. Anyone else for Div 1?

Div 2 should be great too.

#91 wineglass

wineglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Trilogy is also coming, glad I am in div 2 to watch from a distance, if we get the normal 10-20 knots all week, should be some fantastic racing :)

#92 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Trilogy is also coming, glad I am in div 2 to watch from a distance, if we get the normal 10-20 knots all week, should be some fantastic racing :)

That makes 18!

#93 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Where are all the Corsair 750 boats?

#94 offtherails

offtherails

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

wind something like max 40kts, average 11 in Pt Lincoln in Feb..( add 20 kts for October max) so  the 750s could be at home on their  trailers or upside down somewhere round the course?

#95 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

Where are all the Corsair 750 boats?

Ask Ross McComish.

#96 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Two Weeks to Go!!

Currently 23 Multi entries, 22 Mono entries!!

Got to be a first for this regatta.

Any more in the woodwork?

#97 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Two Weeks to Go!!

Interesting, largest multihull 46', largest keelboat 47.7'

Now 24 multihull entries as I have entered 'Louie da Tri' as a precaution in case 'Two Tribes' is not ready.
TT is not ready yet and we have 1 week until we leave here with one or the other on a trailer. It is very tight , thus the precaution.

#98 oomummado

oomummado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

Two Weeks to Go!!

Interesting, largest multihull 46', largest keelboat 47.7'

Now 24 multihull entries as I have entered 'Louie da Tri' as a precaution in case 'Two Tribes' is not ready.
TT is not ready yet and we have 1 week until we leave here with one or the other on a trailer. It is very tight , thus the precaution.

Any initial indications on where the Nationals may be held next year?

#99 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Geelong?

#100 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Wangi 2014 is not yet certain to even happen, we need to encourage Shane.

If it does go ahead can it be the 2015 Nationals in November 2014?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users